00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gustavo-Y-YA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

ASK TOM

6,543 Views | 61 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 00:51:16

So you're the famous Tom Fulp,are you

All right,I got a question about passing new news on the front page,because everybody to wants to see the full version of "Simgirl",and need to tell them that "Simgirl" is truely dead or scrapped for the poor fellow users about this.If you can post this post for me,that will be great.

Thank for your time,and thanks alot

Kaiser

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 00:52:30

At 10/2/02 01:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: In today's edition of "ASK TOM", we deal with the morally perplexing issue of voting for points. Let me share with you a heartfelt email from one of our users:

"Hi, you 're Tom Fulp from newgrounds?, right?
I've got a small problem;

I remember when i discovered newgrounds 6 months ago, i sat and vote just to get better status, then suddently, i Votes "0" on a movie i hadn't seen, just to get the statuspoints, then, there was a flash movie wich said; "BANG, you have killed this movie"... Later, when i saw the movie, (i voted while it was loading), I really liked the movie, it was like someone had filmed himself while he was falling down some stairs and really had put down very much time working with the movie...

Am I a bad person?, i fell so sad for what i 've done..

/Ron"

TOM'S RESPONSE:

No, Ron, you aren't a bad person. However, it was irresponsible of you to vote haphazardly on movies simply to gain points and status in the Newgrounds community.

It is your civic duty to view and evaluate each submission you intend to vote on. How would you like it if a police officer pulled you over and gave you a ticket, simply to fill his quota? He didn't care whether you were speeding or not, he just wanted to give out his tickets for the day.

That would not be very nice, which is why police officers must adhere to a strict code of honor and only punish those who drive too fast.

Using the noble police officer as a role-model, you must vote on movies based on their merits, not your personal agenda.

The movie you voted on was most likely a bad movie; otherwise it would not have been so close to the "BLAM" threshold. Unfortunately, we will never know because it has been cast away from the site for all eternity.

What makes me more concerned is the movies you did not manage to delete - the ones who's scores now bear the permanent scar of your reckless voting. Their blood is on your hands, Ron.

But you can redeem yourself. From now on, use your best judgment when voting on movies. Not for the sake of gaining points, but for the sake of making Newgrounds a better place for society as a whole.

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 01:02:12

Yeah the hell do you get permission to post messages at the front page anyhow or how you get permission anyhow?

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 02:10:40

Ron is a pussy. Who gives a fuck if you blam some shit movie?? I'm sure God will not strike you down Ron. He might anally rape you with a spiked pogo stick with an everlasting gobstopper at the end, though. P.S. Tom or anyone who knows the answer to this.........do the Light and Dark auras come from review ratings, voting or both combined???

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 02:42:54

At 10/3/02 01:02 AM, Kaiser_Dragon_074 wrote: Yeah the hell do you get permission to post messages at the front page anyhow or how you get permission anyhow?

With Skill!..

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 02:51:56

i have a very good solution to this:
if you dont have the time to watch the movies, just go to those that are reachable on the front page, those that you have watched and have a reasonable score for them already you can just vote 5

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 02:56:04

At 10/2/02 07:19 PM, andysoman wrote: yo tom i have a little problem.i keep on signing in and pressed remember my info but everytime i go back to newgrounds why do i get to sign on again? is there a problem wit my computer or ur site?

Same thing happens to me i think it's the site.

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 04:08:15

yeah the same things heeps happening to me i cant even vote on stuff w/o losing my exp guess ill wait till later

ASK TOM

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 08:13:48

At 10/2/02 07:19 PM, andysoman wrote: yo tom i have a little problem.i keep on signing in and pressed remember my info but everytime i go back to newgrounds why do i get to sign on again? is there a problem wit my computer or ur site?

I sometimes have thesame problem and i've found an answer to it:
Write a Review every day before you vote, you'll have to sign in that way and mostly it'll work that way, sending a msg will prboarly work too.

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 15:20:19

Oh shit I was just typing a message then the browser went back and it got deleted. I hate myeslf.

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 16:23:40

At 10/2/02 01:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: In today's edition of "ASK TOM", we deal with the morally perplexing issue of voting for points. Let me share with you a heartfelt email from one of our users:

I remember when i discovered newgrounds 6 months ago, i sat and vote just to get better status, then suddently, i Votes "0" on a movie i hadn't seen, just to get the statuspoints, then, there was a flash movie wich said; "BANG, you have killed this movie"... Later, when i saw the movie, (i voted while it was loading), I really liked the movie, it was like someone had filmed himself while he was falling down some stairs and really had put down very much time working with the movie...

Am I a bad person?, i fell so sad for what i 've done..

/Ron"

TOM'S RESPONSE:

No, Ron, you aren't a bad person. However, it was irresponsible of you to vote haphazardly on movies simply to gain points and status in the Newgrounds community.

It is your civic duty to view and evaluate each submission you intend to vote on. How would you like it if a police officer pulled you over and gave you a ticket, simply to fill his quota? He didn't care whether you were speeding or not, he just wanted to give out his tickets for the day.

That would not be very nice, which is why police officers must adhere to a strict code of honor and only punish those who drive too fast.

Using the noble police officer as a role-model, you must vote on movies based on their merits, not your personal agenda.

The movie you voted on was most likely a bad movie; otherwise it would not have been so close to the "BLAM" threshold. Unfortunately, we will never know because it has been cast away from the site for all eternity.

What makes me more concerned is the movies you did not manage to delete - the ones who's scores now bear the permanent scar of your reckless voting. Their blood is on your hands, Ron.

But you can redeem yourself. From now on, use your best judgment when voting on movies. Not for the sake of gaining points, but for the sake of making Newgrounds a better place for society as a whole.

blamming=evil

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 18:34:54

This really sucks.everybody if you have a problem deal with it your fucking self. Tom hardly ever responds to posts its wade. With all the posts this week its hard to keep track he wont answer you! Try restarting your computers and calling you server provider to see if it's your problem before asking tom.

Thank you,
Earthcrisis

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-04 03:20:41

Hey hey hey Tom!
Love this damn website, so cool, a big congrats and nice work from developing, I am looking to do something myself in this sort of catagory.

I am 15 M Australia (Philip Stewart)
Have been doing Flash for a while and moved on to MX, I have some questions to ask for a response from a guy with knowledge from this background.

1) Suppose I was to do a website like this, not so much like but, what would be the business background in it, a view tips of starting off and developing.

2) How you get so good at drawing, as such EXAMPLE *I mean, look at Pico* Great artwork, any tips in doing these sorts of pictures. I always drawed them on paper and scaned them in.

3) Animation is such a hard task, well not so much hard right, depends the way you look at it. I am looking at this as in animation a cartoon, how do you get the legs and arms, mouth etc to move individualy and so perfect timing, is there a trick?

4) Any websites (tutorials) that could help me with Flash MX please, thanks...

Tom, you have done so well in your art work and business wise, I have been looking for your personal e-mail address anywhere, would you please share it so I can ask you some questions. Thanks, if you don't post your email address on here please email me pstewartau@msn.com Thank you very much for your time :) Bye bye for now!

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-04 09:16:16

At 10/4/02 03:20 AM, pstewartau wrote: Hey hey hey Tom!
Love this damn website, so cool, a big congrats and nice work from developing, I am looking to do something myself in this sort of catagory.

I am 15 M Australia (Philip Stewart)
Have been doing Flash for a while and moved on to MX, I have some questions to ask for a response from a guy with knowledge from this background.

1) Suppose I was to do a website like this, not so much like but, what would be the business background in it, a view tips of starting off and developing.

2) How you get so good at drawing, as such EXAMPLE *I mean, look at Pico* Great artwork, any tips in doing these sorts of pictures. I always drawed them on paper and scaned them in.

3) Animation is such a hard task, well not so much hard right, depends the way you look at it. I am looking at this as in animation a cartoon, how do you get the legs and arms, mouth etc to move individualy and so perfect timing, is there a trick?

4) Any websites (tutorials) that could help me with Flash MX please, thanks...

Tom, you have done so well in your art work and business wise, I have been looking for your personal e-mail address anywhere, would you please share it so I can ask you some questions. Thanks, if you don't post your email address on here please email me pstewartau@msn.com Thank you very much for your time :) Bye bye for now!

umm try flashkit.com. also you can scan pictures in and then trace them in flash..a good idea is to have all the limbs and stuff as seperate symbols so you can move them round. the site is all php based i heard its complicated so i wouldn't go trying it. lol. toms email is tom@newgrounds.com its in his profile.

on the main topic.... 'who carez! there are lots of people who vote 0 on every movie and thats how life works... for example the best movie on newgrounds is on 3.9 cmon 3.9 that must mean a lot of people are just voting 0..but it all equates as long as its equal and you can compare your movies score to unother then it is fine and dandy. also someone sad ppl vote 5 just to get ligh...well people vote 0 just to get dark. anyway cya even tho tomwon't respond :)

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-04 13:06:37

sure

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-05 13:07:33

nooooooo

ASK TOM

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-05 16:14:53

WEEL u see i am thired of this kind of people.i first saw this site 2 years ago with a friend of mine when we ran out of school.we go to the net and there were aall this stupid sites with all this stupid shitt on them.and then we suddenlly fall on to this.it was amazing-superb design with suprbly funy gamez.then we set on some game that now i would call redicussly stupid-i think it was chikanator.some hen with two barell gun killing other hans.but the site was FUULLL of all kind of movies and ganes and it had tha look.maaaaannn we were in a game club where all the people were playng HALF-Life(CS-hahahahah it was the time that nearlly nobody was playing it,if u bolieve it or not).evrybody fucked off the game and started asking us what was that site.i never cared about signi`n in u know i visit the site every day and if i see something cool i send it to a friend,but some months ago i get pissed off that i can`t give replays and signed in.how could people like him do this.maaaaaannn tell me-u have done this site for fun-for yours and for the people.it is not some kind of a competition about who has more exp.and a man who had most exp. is the best and all the little children want to became like him one day and a man who had less is a shieeet and the trash of the society aaaaaaaaa????weeel this guy obviously thinks like this.he is having some complexes.and he is so pissed off that he had desided to not simply irritate his familly(i say family becouse people like him have no friends couse they can`t stand their wish for domination and stupidity) ,but to do in in the net so everybody could see how greaattt he is.WEEELLL PUT THE VOTING BELLOW THE send to a friend button AND MAKE IT ACTIVE ONLY IF THE FILM IS LOADDED(we can`t do it but tom shure can)

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-05 19:13:38

hmmz

ASK TOM

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-06 19:10:42

Tom sounds super smart in his relpy to the e-mail! Not that I'm saying he's stupid or anything.

-Stu

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-07 00:03:46

Kool

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-07 19:58:05

I can't beleive such carelessness existed here on Newgrounds. I'm a fairly new member and I am also trying to build status, but to do such a terrible thing is just out of the question. This guy is a bad person. He should kill himself with his Mach 3 razor. Son of a bitch.

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-08 22:41:45

Blam club blam all of p_v_m2001's movies he total sucks and doesnt use flash he uses some animater thing. Blam all of his movies he's not good he's the creator of dbz stick fight (remake) and he was but it got blammed the creator of Viewers stupidity. Blam all of his movies they suck!

earthcrisis

Response to ASK TOM 2003-04-07 11:44:58

that guy sounds like quite a whimp to me

Now You Have To Wash The Floor And Do All Of My Laundry!!!!

Response to ASK TOM 2003-04-07 11:46:26

At 10/3/02 02:10 AM, creamyspy69 wrote: Ron is a pussy. Who gives a fuck if you blam some shit movie?? I'm sure God will not strike you down Ron. He might anally rape you with a spiked pogo stick with an everlasting gobstopper at the end, though.

hahaha, thats for sure, good one!

Now You Have To Wash The Floor And Do All Of My Laundry!!!!

Response to ASK TOM 2003-04-16 21:34:33

No Ron, your not a "bad" person... but you really should be more careful on voting for these movies... you never know when your 1 vote could save a perfectly good movie from destruction.

Response to ASK TOM 2003-05-03 22:15:46

tom, i need to make a new account. i kno this is off topic, but how can i do this? PLZ TELL ME!

Response to ASK TOM 2003-05-15 02:59:01

Tom is there really an alien hominid coming to ps2 or is it just a rumor

Response to ASK TOM 2003-05-20 23:23:59

i dont think you will die of grief because you blammed some poor guys movie. get over it but next blam something that needs to be blammed. like a clock movie

Response to ASK TOM 2003-05-31 17:50:58

dont vote recklessly...

Response to ASK TOM 2003-06-07 09:45:13

tom i just don't know how to post a bbs. i went to a hotel and my ps2 got ripedoff. (including 23 games)
so i want to post a bbs and ask witch should i get
a ps2 or a gamecube?

ASK TOM