00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Flamingweeny just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Composer Collaboration Project?

6,176 Views | 117 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 04:48:01

I was just sitting around my house the last few days thinking about how I could show off some of the music I write. Then an idea hit me: what if instead of a flash collaboration that features the work of animators to some music some of us who write music got together to show off our music in a collaboration project that would really feature musicover the animation. This is just a rough idea, but I thoght that I would post this and see what other people think and find out who might be interested and whatnot.

Basically what I am thinking is that, if enough people are interested we could get 5 to 10 composers together with some of the music that they have written and find someone who would be willing to put in some time to do the animation for the flash.

In other words, comments/criticisms, other ideas and people who are possibly interested should post on this thread and let me know. Also, if anyone wants post some advice on how to start planning a collaboration project (like a theme and who to pick and why and so on and so on) I would appreciate that very much, too.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 05:51:55

Well I'm not sure if any of my music is going to be any good, just click on my signature pic below for my music. Many people have made threads about an audio collab though, so you might get some creative negative criticism.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 07:43:48

I can't see an audio collab working out very well :P.

It's much harder to make music flow together nicely than it is for the flash guys to make animations flow together nicely.

Take into consideration how everyone on the AP uses a somewhat unique studio configuration, and system of recording things. Flash animators use Flash, and maybe Photoshop if they're feeling fancy.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 10:13:21

im thinking that it could work out, just do it like we're show casing eachothers music...or we could do it on the same genre, or all add a little bit into one song

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 10:30:26

It depends on wich gener you need !
You just can get 5 to 10 composers and 1 or 2 dj to mix it so it wold be fair to all !
If this project is going to move foward dont forget to call me!
You can listen to my stuff on my site ! Click the logo below !

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 11:11:56

I think this could really work out if you set down some rules, such as tempo, and other restrictions. Also, I think 10 composers might be too many, something like 5 people should be ok.

We did a similar thing in school where each person does 30 seconds and everything gets meshed together into a 3 minute song, so I don't see how this is going to be a problem.

Good luck with it!
~ Ratatosk.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 13:54:17

I must say that I am glad to be getting more enthusiasm than criticism. I know that it would be easy to find people on newgrounds (especially because this is the place to go to find these kind of projects). What I am visualizing is maybe some kind of an animation without any need for voice talent. Where the music will portray everything that is going on (like the emotion and energy in the scene). So hopefully there will be more people looking to get in on this project, so I am going to set up some rules to get into this project.

The Rules

1. To get on-board the project I want people to submit three different (1 minute or less) pieces, each with a different style/feeling to it than the other two. I want the pieces to be original and written to become apart of this project. In other words, I want you to write something new to show me so I know that you are skilled and that you are willing to put a decent effort into the project if selected. The reason I am doing this is because I want this collaboration to be important to the people that are selected to become apart of this project.

2. Since this is a collaboration I don't want to be only the person who picks everyone and in charge, so I will simply choose one person who I want to be apart of the project and then the two of us will pick one more and then the three will select another and so on and so on until we have around 5 (maybe a couple more) people.

**If anyone has any better ideas of how to do pick and choose people please feel free to post and let me know.

3. I also want to add an exception rule, too. Since I don't know any (and I mean ANY) animators I think the (soon to be) group would be willing to let one other composer aboard if they know a competent animator who you can convince to work on the project. I know that animation skill isn't everything, so if your guy is really good at storylines, too, we can take that into consideration. I want the group to review other works by the animator that he has subitted to Newgrounds so we can get an idea about the average quality of his work.

I know that animation in flash can take some time and can be difficult (as said by many of my friends), but I don't want the project to take forever, so I would like to have the project no sooner than 2 weeks, but no later than a month. I am setting this goal in advance because I don't want anyone in the project who is going to be a floater and just say "I'm working on it," but never has anything to show for it.

**All these rules are subject to change, too, so keep checking the thread.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 14:05:57

Hope all goes well ^_^

Good luck, and I can't wait to hear it :)

Must say, the time restrictions are kind of harsh :P

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 15:29:19

Well if the time restrictions seem harsh, then what is a good amount of time for a project like this?

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 15:44:55

I also wanted to add one more thing. I think I wasn't clear about what I was planning on doing. Instead of combining music together and worrying about transitions and whatnot, every writers music could be used separately as a part of its own scene so there would be less restrictions on what to write.

I was also hoping to find musicians who can write different types of music, so if you are really good at writing say Metal (using to Iarrydn as an example), show me what other kinds you are able to do, too. Perhaps if this even goes well enough we can form a club of sorts out of those who are selected on newgrounds for people who are looking for good and dedicated composers (and then expand the number of people and do another collaboration) from there.

One other thing, too. I was just wondering (for after I get a crew together) how complex this should be because if we wanted we could either just write some music and then get someone to put it all together with animation or we could also try to find someone who is a good scriptwriter and then find another person (or the same if he is good at both) to animate it.

Let me know what you think.

**As a note to F2X1. I did check out your site and I liked what I heard, but only one of the songs in your music section actually worked (Rain). The two other links gave me a 404 error message, so if you either wanna email them to me or fix them I would love to hear what else you can do.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-16 21:11:25

if you get some other decent audio artists, and one good flash artist in the deal, then i'm on board.

the part about the flash: it may be easier if we make the full song first, and then the flash artist animates everything to the song. of course, it also may just depend on the preference of the flash artist.

just hit up on some good flash artists and see if they want to do it. try Vinnie Veritas, i think his drawing style would be perfect for this; his "Rush" style is very "collage" and would work well with the "medley of genres" idea.

and the one-month time limit thing is quite unrealistic...even one-author works usually take several months (at least, good ones). umm...yeah, i guess that's it for now. keep us posted. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-17 00:47:03

so what do we make 3 different type song in 1 minute length or less, and then post them here?

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-17 03:58:12

Yes, post music here to the forum. I would like to get this project started soon, but please remember that this is only day 2, so I want to give it a little more time for people to find it. So post your files (or submit them to NG) and I will listen to a few and choose someone else to get on board and then we will build from there.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-17 08:11:23

Sorry for the 404! I knew that there was a problem on my site, because i dont have much space on my FTP! You can hear it on <A>music.lib.ru/f/f2x<A> (do not use www thing)
And for the future my real nick name is F2X and not f2x1 (it's just that there someone already uses it on this site)
So in the mean time, i am trying to keep my self buzy coz i dont have anything to do!
I wana say that it's time to start the project and stop waysting the time!
(Sorry for bad English,i am russian !)
If you want some thing fresh i can e-mail to you!
(My mail is f2x@mail.ru if somethihg !)

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-17 08:29:59

By the way the alternative link to my compositions is
<a>http://www.newground..276401&sub=28302
But i suggest that you visit the music.lib.ru too because there are some songs that i cant post on NG because they are more than 4000 KB !

I cant understand why i cant find my songs on the NG by autor search or by Date submited !

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-17 16:03:26

holla, and any one of my songs (as long as im creditted) you can put.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-17 17:57:44

Get better at music and ask again.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-17 20:06:36

oooook instead of making my usual trance stf for these collabs........

ive decided to try sum hip hop ambient and drum n bass!

The songs names and -Hawk- Fight the Light,-Hawk- In the Dark, and -Hawk- Bob yo head.

heres dat link

pervokative.bandcamp.com

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-18 05:42:29

I have to say that I am impressed with a couple people's music. Good job. Please remember though that the music I am asking you to write is not necessarily what is going to be put into the project. The short clips I am asking for is to show me that you are able to write and produce something of good quality that is outside of your normal bounds. In other words, if you write trance all the time, I want to see that you can produce something else besides trance. Thank you to everyone who is interested thus far in the project. If you know anyone else who you consider to be a talented composer, please tell them about the project!

As an update to everyone who pays attention to this thread, I have put out a "want ad" in the flash forum asking for a flash artist. If you would like to check out the thread, please go here. Thanks again to everyone who is interested. I'll probably pick the first person tomorrow via email, so keep an eye out for something from me.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-18 06:56:12

Also follow that link to see the drama as it unfolded. Nobody said it would be easy to do this, but I'm willing to do this even if we can't use Newgrounds as a medium for the project (which I doubt will even be an issue with Newgrounds).

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-18 19:28:18

i'm starting to think that the Flash thread has failed horribly hahaha...i think it would be better if you picked out a couple artists from the Portal Top 50 and contacted them yourself and asked.

here's my three...just follow the link in my signature to my work and listen to Creeping Assault, Valiant (Remastered), and Drop Top. (or you could just select any random three...my work is pretty varied). note, this doesn't neccesarily mean i'm in because i still want to see who the others are and who's gonna draw the thing, but yeah...those are my three.

cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-18 21:36:14

Er. my idea for a collab would simply be this: two (easier) composers sending back and forth an edit file . like me and this guy, i came up with a beat and a basic song, and he did the same, we switched and gave em back, not bad.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-19 12:13:57

he wants all kinds of different songs man.......
not just one song and one genre

pervokative.bandcamp.com

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-21 03:43:57

Okay, its been a few days since I posted, but here is how this is panning out thus far. The people that are in for the project this far:

f2x1 (aka f2x) - Congrats on coming in number one in trance by the way.
TedJohnson - You know your music kicks ass, thanks for saying yes.
Theblackhawk - Also has really kick as music
Me (Cpt_Nemo) - Even though I think I'm the worst one of the group (how embarassing)

That means that there is room for 1 more person if you are interested, however that also means that you should not beg me, or ask me if you think/know your music isn't that good. Since this is a first for NG (as far as I know) I am looking for people who are REALLY GOOD. If we can't find another person to fill the slot, then we will just go ahead with only 4 people. We also still need an animator (be sure to thank those douchebags that ruined my thread in the flash forums; I might post another one again), so any of you guys who are in on this, if you could help me look and ask around (and let me know who you are asking that would be sweet since I'm a little busy for the next few days with work and other things) that would be awesome. Actually, if you don't mind, lets just say try to ask 5 different animators if you can and then let us know which ones said yes and then we can all review their work and pick from there. (I'll ask some when I have time to watch some animations, which may be a few days.) Please post any progress or ideas that we should hear, too.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-21 23:12:12

i think that the next thing that the audio artists need to discuss is what emotion the music will display, instead of having, say, 5 songs, and the first one is lively, the nesxt one is depressing, the next one is happy....and so on and so forth.
yes i do think that we should have different genres, but the feel of the music in this collaboration should be the same.

if u understood that, tell me what u guys think about that idea, and then if u agree with it, tell me, or the other audio dudes what kind of emotion would fit best with your skills as a composer.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-21 23:57:18

i agree with blackhawk. i shall do anything video game-ish hehehe ^_^

Nemo, i suggest you track down individual artists and contact them. just pick several kick ass animators from the portal top fifty and contact them and see who'll do it.

and no...my music doesn't really kick that much ass. (by the way, it's Johnston, with a 'T' hahaha).

yeah...that is all. cheers an g'day.

-Ted Johnston

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-22 02:00:05

I think we should wait until we have everyone in the group and everyone has had a chance to say their piece about what they want to do. Including the animator (especially the animator) since his 6 minutes of animation is going to take way longer than our 2 minutes or less each.

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-22 04:48:54

yes i do think that we should have different genres, but the feel of the music in this collaboration should be the same.

Well i think that we wont make the same music coz every composer is unique!
I would like to make something sad if you'l ask me! (while i'm at the top!)

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-22 11:28:38

I just dont get it , the NG become like ghost town , i haven't seen or heard anybody for 3 days! Am i ALONE...................AlOnE.............
.....alone?

Response to Composer Collaboration Project? 2005-07-22 14:18:46

you are in need of mental help my friend. that and/or anger management counseling.