00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tallya just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2

122,038 Views | 1,645 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-11 23:20:55

I don't feel like typing up my idea a second time, so here's a link to the thread.

That's the second thing I've sugested which RG has but NG doesn't, yet people still call RG a copy-cat site.

Breast Cancer Awareness month is over...stop squeezing random boobies. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 01:58:20

I think mods should be able to see how many times a user was banned.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 10:42:46

Right, folks. I'm going to come at you here with a somewhat wacky, out-there idea. It's big, and it's bold. Stay tuned, and hold onto your seats.

Forums, right ? Let's face it, at the moment, the general forum is in a bit of a mess. Photoshop this, who's sexier, photoshop this, lol hi there, etc. My proposal, and as I said, it's a bit eccentric, is that we create new forums with differing levels of access rights. For example, if a user has been signed-up for more than one/two/three years, then they would be able to access the, if you will, regulars forum. I see how this might at first be taken as a bad idea, perhaps even elitism, but really, I don't intend it to be. Of course, the requirements for entry wouldn't necessarily have to be sign-up dates, it could be postcount, level or any other variable you want to throw out. Although I'm not too keen on level or postcount, as neither really serves as a gauge for BBS experience.

What's the point in doing this, I hear you ask. Well, it has no major significance, really. The only purpose it would serve would be to give people who are most likely to be the mature BBS users, a safe haven. Maybe by splitting the forums, it would make them easier to manage, I'm not sure.

In any case, there you have it. Wham, bam, thank you Mam'.

FUCK

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 10:51:20

Ideas:

1). May be add function to sort submissions by date, not alphabetically? I think it could be very useful feature. Because it can be realised with JavaScript, not server-side, it shouldn't load a server.

2). NG is very big portal and there is lots of people, who can't speak English. May be translate the textual content to other languages? I think here's a lot of fans, who will help with translation. I could translate into Russian, for example. (I can understand English, but can't write in English well, so sorry for possible mistakes in this post)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 11:20:40

At 6/12/05 10:51 AM, real_heller wrote: Ideas:
2). NG is very big portal and there is lots of people, who can't speak English. May be translate the textual content to other languages? I think here's a lot of fans, who will help with translation. I could translate into Russian, for example. (I can understand English, but can't write in English well, so sorry for possible mistakes in this post)

I believe this has been suggested a few times, but I don't think that it would be that useful. If someone desperately needs something translating, they can always use babelfish or something like that. Perhaps the FAQ, maybe, but a wholescale translation wouldn't be worth the effort.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 11:46:11

I would like to suggest bottom-page navigation for the BBS. Once again, this is an idea used at RetroGade and it is very useful and helpful. Basically have the same options you have at the top of the pages of topics forums(NG BBS / Where is/How to? / Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 (594 views, 34 replies for example, or the New Topic and Post Reply buttons). This would simply be a nice little feature so people can read through the topic, and just use the options at the bottom. It's a neat little time saver and though it's not much, I love it at RetroGade.

Now, I know nothing about coding or anything, so I don't know if this would require a new layout or what, but that's my idea and 2 cents.

King Of Fighters '98: The Slugfest

"Nothing Is Perfect, Therefore Perfection Is Flawed." - Adam Lewis

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 11:48:34

At 6/12/05 10:42 AM, Tremour wrote:

That's sounds pretty nice, but it just got me thinking of something like:
Folders.
A forum can have some folders to be much more orginized. For example, in the General forum, there will be right after the admins' news and must read first, few folders that will contain threads. Folders can be changed after sometime, like a fashion.. (numa numa folder etc)
Photoshop folder: Photoshop Bedn, angry faic, terry schiavo, abraham lincoln...
Mods will be able to movie threads to the appropriate folder or whatever..

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 12:52:06

At 6/11/05 11:20 PM, TarThoron wrote: That's the second thing I've sugested which RG has but NG doesn't, yet people still call RG a copy-cat site.

That's a bit cheeky, given that RG models its experience system on Newgrounds'.

This isn't a feature I would usually have fretted about, given that the exp per levels can be found out by checking a few profiles, but... badda bing.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 13:01:07

At 6/12/05 12:57 PM, deck_head_tottie wrote: Is that a dynamic page or would it take a manual update?

It'll be put into rotation to update once every few hours.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 13:25:23

Is there any way that users could actually see their whistle points? I'm not sure if that's already been covered, but I didn't see that is was in this thread's first post where Denvish said what had already been suggested. I just think that people would want to see how their whistle is doing.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 13:36:28

At 6/12/05 12:52 PM, liljim wrote: This isn't a feature I would usually have fretted about, given that the exp per levels can be found out by checking a few profiles, but... badda bing.

That's quite handy. Maybe you should put the sliding scale list at the bottom aswell, with how many points it goes up with each of #1's deposits for each level.

Oh, by the way, you seem to have switched the light and neutral auras.

fucking magnets man how do they work

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 14:03:32

A GG day clock in the your account view and/or the one the page so you don't need to vote twice to get the time until the next GG day

a suggestion box with a limit of suggestions per month/day/week so people don't just take it up

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 14:05:21

o and the "random page" button in the nav bar

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 15:54:07

Lately, there's been an increase in quality in portal submissions, with a growing number of green and blue-highlighted submissions. Submissions in the high three range would once be in the top 50 guaranteed - now the submission in 1000th place has a score of (As of this writing) 3.9075. Given the increasing quality of portal submissions, perhaps it's time for a minute increase in the minimum standards required for protection.

That being said, perhaps the current
100 votes - 1.0
150 votes - 1.33
200 votes - 1.66

(I've actually got a couple of higher thresholds in mind, however, I thought this system would be close enough to the current system to not cause a radical shift in the blam/protect ratio, while still accomplishing a standards raise needed at the low end of the spectrum.

Commissioner Penguin

5 Year Club

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-12 21:09:12

At 6/12/05 08:35 PM, Denvish wrote:
At 6/12/05 12:52 PM, liljim wrote: This isn't a feature I would usually have fretted about, given that the exp per levels can be found out by checking a few profiles, but... badda bing.
/me watches James go and add a calculator to the page in about 3 seconds...

Yeah can you converge the two together? Like... click on a level icon and if you're logged in it will show you how many points/deposits you have until you reach that level?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-13 00:06:24

This is just a thought, but I think it would be nice if when searching for stuff on the bbs, or even searching for flash on NG, you could use quotes for phrases like on Google. For example (not the best example, but you get it) If I search for a band I like, Tiger Army, I get a whole bunch of stuff about Army's and Tiger's. With what I am saying I'd search for "Tiger Army", and it would only give me results with Tiger Army just like that. Get it?

Just a thought, I think it would be useful though.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-13 09:14:23

- Audio features on the NG-frontpage
- Update the rules (cup of stfu etc. added)
- First visit on the BBS ever, pop-up with the rules
- Possibility to reply to the ban message giving instead of using email

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-13 14:23:25

At 6/13/05 01:05 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: I think it would be a great idea to have a way in which bbs mods can warn a user of not following rules before actually banning them from 3+ day.

Reading the rules is your warning.

If you choose not to follow that warning and choose to break one or more of those rules, you will be banned.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-13 19:46:37

At 6/13/05 02:30 PM, juraj wrote:
Is this page linked from anywhere except this thread? :)

Not yet. I like to let things settle in first, before making them live. I'll link it up to the faq tomorrow, now that I see everything is updating as it should, when it should.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-13 19:50:23

RSS feed for daily top 5 portal entries.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-14 01:53:26

At 6/10/05 11:27 AM, Master_Inuyasha wrote:

:Recommendation for an Anime Collection.

I'd like to add my personal seal of approval, I think it's a good idea.

Founder of the Newgrounds Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-14 05:23:42

I have an idea that I feel would improve the websites style. I have checked both forums and haven't seen this idea suggested, so hopefully, I won't die.

I have noticed how the NG BBS search still incorporates the old NG forum style formats as well as the .GIF picture buttons instead of the .swf ones.

Examples:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/search.php?kind=a&terms=liljim
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/search.php?kind=b&terms=liljim

The icons on the side (locked, new posts etc) of the second link are still using the old forum based style formats and have not been replaced with the new. I feel that this place looks rather dark and dull and I'm not sure how difficult the task would be, but to me, it seems like transferring a bit of scripting across from one area to another.

Anyway, only a suggestion and I'll just let things roll out from here.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-14 08:14:57

Well since I saw new secrets as one of the ones being thought about I thought I could offer some suggestions for new secrets!

-A link to the "oldbbs" or something old that users would like to remember.
-The ability to upload 50 KB (or more!) signature pics.
-A GG page to bookmark BBS threads
-ability to post 500 x 400 pictures on the bbs.
-Have a page to order NG limited edition (already tooken off) merchandise.
-private messaging system.
-the mximum filesize for flash would be upgraded to 5.5 MBs

AND OF COURSE

-Naked pics of liljim ;)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-14 09:21:17

At 6/13/05 09:14 AM, Sinterkaas wrote: - Update the rules (cup of stfu etc. added)

I really hate giving those quotes any more attention than is necessary. If we included those in the rules, troublemakers would be posting it forever. As it stands now, it's all settled down (or at least it's seemed to), soon to be forgotten by most everyone. Quite a few users have tried to get a catchphrase of their own off the ground, but with quick moderation they were all stopped in their tracks. Making a new thread to bring to attention any new catchphrases popping up would have seen a repeat of OsAmARaMa's 'cup of stfu' thread and a spread all over the forums. Including them in the rules would have the same effect. </circles>

But yes, a revision of the rules would be a good thing.

- Possibility to reply to the ban message giving instead of using email

Could work. It'd definitely be a much more efficient way for bannee to communicate with banner. So long as there's an option the mod can check to turn off the reply for an individual ban, I don't see a problem with it. Sometimes a mod just doesn't want to hear anything from the banned user, so they won't sign the ban. Same would go here.

I know discussion of ideas is no longer encouraged, so if this post would be better non-existant feel free to delete it.

I'll probably read this in ten minutes and facepalm. - RageVI

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-14 13:26:12

it would be really great if there was some sort of system that would let know each user when an artist in his favorite list submits a new movie

kind of like in deviantart

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-14 15:56:24

Has the idea of more auras been brought up? I looked and couldnt find anything or anyone mentioning it. If it has, sorry about that. :\

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-14 23:25:38

One of the main things in the UJ portal that cause me to close the window realy fast and vote without watching the movie is the fear of losing my blam/protection point. Think about it, that's the only reason why users sit in the portal all day is for those points. If you wanted a more fair judge of movies, you could make it so that if you clicked on a movie that was UJ when you got to its page, you'll still get the b/p even if it passes judgement or gets blammed while your watching the movie.

I'm not sure how this would work, but it was worth a try. (=

You could really go for a chocolate chip cookie right about now...

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-15 07:49:33

At 6/14/05 09:21 AM, FIGMENTUM wrote:
At 6/13/05 09:14 AM, Sinterkaas wrote: - Update the rules (cup of stfu etc. added)
I really hate giving those quotes any more attention than is necessary. If we included those in the rules, troublemakers would be posting it forever.

It's better to leave it as a non-exhaustive list of things, and point out the "We will ban anybody attempting to circumvent any rule in a way that they obviously feel is remarkably clever and witty" rule, i.e. "this isn't a limited list of rules". Point out everything in the rules and you'll get people trying to be funny and saying "where does it say that in the rules lol!"

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-15 07:52:32

At 6/15/05 02:02 AM, Dizfunktion wrote: I also have another suggestion. A forum for collabs.

Check out Afro's collab post in Flash if you haven't already.

At 6/15/05 07:26 AM, Loco-Evil-Dabdoub wrote: >>> Change the logo of NewGrounds to an animated one made with flash and/or that it changes from time to time in a similar fashion as Google logo (like in holliday, or something Tom wants to anounce). This one isnĀ“t actually important, but I think it will look "fresh".

That's already done around halloween, christmas and that.

>>>A "Banned" indicator in the visible user profile. It could be a different logo for kind - type of ban. It could look like this:

What, give attention to those who are banned? We don't want to encourage them.

At 6/15/05 01:51 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: I didn't see this in the rejected/accepted list so forgive me if it's been mentioned.

How about the ability to search topics by user?

That's definitely not a new suggestion.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-06-15 11:56:45

What about the portal search thing? How about having the ability to search for games, like click "games" and type in what ur looking for. Sorry if its been suggested