00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2

121,703 Views | 1,645 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-08-30 19:37:42

How about putting the signature options under one menu instead of seperating them as text and image? For example, you log in, and click "edit signature options".

After that you get a preview of what your signature currently looks like (text plus image), and you select which you would like to edit. After editing, you are displayed the results (new text/image).

Just another small feature from my endless list of featues.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-08-31 15:50:55

One minor thing:

When a topic is locked/deleted while you're typing up a response, there is no quick way to return to the forum. Perhaps a link [Return to the blahblah Forum] could be added?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-08-31 16:43:21

At 8/31/05 03:50 PM, Maus wrote: When a topic is locked/deleted while you're typing up a response, there is no quick way to return to the forum. Perhaps a link [Return to the blahblah Forum] could be added?

Yeah, I like that. Sometimes I post a witty comment only to find out a mod has beat me to it. :(

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-08-31 17:26:36

sports forum...

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-01 01:16:24

is there a list showing the past kings of the portal? if not, i believe there should be.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-01 11:09:25

A small "comments" box when adding a portal buddy? That way you can send a message/reason to the person you want to add as a buddy. I've had a lot of people trying to add me lately, for no particular reason.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-01 16:30:09

At 9/1/05 12:59 PM, DaSadGirl wrote: Portal buddies are'nt really for friends.

Yes I know that. I'm just afraid they'll submit an obviously stolen flash and add me as a co-author, resulting in my account being deleted.

( 10
D 999999
Why do you do that?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-01 16:32:23

Also forgot to put this on my last post:

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-03 13:45:05

IDEA!
New picture limits are 500x400
Can sigs be 500x60?

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-03 17:15:23

At 9/3/05 01:45 PM, -wwwyzzerdd- wrote: IDEA!
New picture limits are 500x400
Can sigs be 500x60?

I think we should get rid of sigs alltogether (both text and picture) and instead have profile level icons replaced by profile pictures and allow Html tags in profile for messages to serve as a signature message instead. Plus get rid of statistics such as sighn up date and exp in the profile to make place for a bigger profile picture.

Arguments for:
More people have a profile picture therefore making it easyer to recognise new people and making it easyer for newbies to join the BBS conversations and be recognised as individuals, instead of lollypop obsessed people who can be ignored.
Most signatures are either ugly or very unpersonal therefore not giving off an identity.
People tend to change signatures all the time creating confusion.
Signatures Pictures contribute to a longer load time of pages, getting rid of them will ease up on servers/storage/load time.
People tend to get obsessed with their signatures, mostly newbies contributing to mental stress.
There won't be anymore of those "I'll make you a sig" threads any longer or any sig threads/posts whatsoevar. Profile pic threads are very unlikely.
The BBS will look alot more cleaner as a result. Making conversations easyer and pages shorter.

Sure there are a couple of funny or good looking sigs here and there, but mostly it's just... meh.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-04 19:34:09

I've got an idea that could REALLY help out Flash authors.

You know how the top rated list gives averages for the top 20 of each review stat?

Do you think it would be possible to make it so that through the GG menu, in "Portal Submissions" or "Respond to your reviews" you could check out the averages for each seperate catagory in your reviews? Like so you could learn how good your humor or interactivity was.

It could help to tell authors, what it is they need to work on.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-05 08:14:49

Minor suggestion:

Faster response times for opinions from mods/admins?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-05 10:48:16

Heres any idea for when new ideas get put into effect (is it effect or affect?)... Well if you read the first 2 posts by Denvish he had a small list of about 5-7 people whos ideas were put into effect... I think if somebody's idea is put into effect they should be e-mailed and after a certain number are put into effect there should be a thread made under NG news... Cause i dont really think a new NG Evolution thread is needed and if you just post it somewhere in the midst of all the posts not that many people would see it...

This is more or less a question but what good is the page of the last 50 (forget the actual number 50 was my guess) users who deposited exp? Maybe its not really needed?

Thanks nightmareLeecher for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-05 10:54:33

Wow dont know why i forgot to post this... What about for the search Topics by Author where when you search for an Author you can choose whether its all his posts or just the topics he's created... Cause looking back through all the posts can get very boring and that would make it easier to find lost topics...

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-05 11:22:38

Uh... I don't know if this has been posted before... but um... could we have it so we can see our whistle points?

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Review Request Club // Former Wi/Ht? Regular

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-05 12:31:01

THis may have been suggested, but, how about a "Preview post" option for before you post your message? THis could be helpful, seeing as it would probably help prevent broken links and posts that were intended to have pictures in them.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-05 17:07:17

At 9/5/05 12:31 PM, Luxury_Yacht wrote: "Preview post"

I support that!
Pherhaps a spellchecker can be used with the Preview Post function.
A code could be written to use http://www.spellcheck.net/ to check spelling, so that alot of work on an NG spellchecker can be avoided.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-05 17:18:39

how about a color on the portal, or some symbols or something, to show that a submission got a high review score.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-05 18:23:44

At 9/5/05 05:07 PM, amplefied wrote:
At 9/5/05 12:31 PM, Luxury_Yacht wrote: "Preview post"
I support that!
Pherhaps a spellchecker can be used with the Preview Post function.
A code could be written to use http://www.spellcheck.net/ to check spelling, so that alot of work on an NG spellchecker can be avoided.

I think both the spellchecker and the Preview Post would be great additions - I know that sometimes I wish I could press that just so I wouldn't have to look it up in a dictionary or type and copy from Microsoft Word first... it would be greatly appreciated.

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-06 17:19:43

I think if a submission is blammed, the authors ability to submit movies should be suspended for a couple of days/weeks (depending on the score), to preventing re-sends and stuff.
I'm not sure if this system is already in place or not.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-06 18:44:08

At 9/6/05 05:19 PM, amplefied wrote: I'm not sure if this system is already in place or not.

It is - after two or three, they get a mandatory ban.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-06 19:08:39

http://www.newground..m/gold/register.php3

The second link to resend an email to an account is broken. This is on the page confirming that you've signed up for an account that is entitled "Welcome to Newgrounds.com!"

The first one works fine, but the second one doesn't have a username written afterward, so when you click on it you get:

http://www.newground..email.php3?username=

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-06 19:22:56

At 9/6/05 07:08 PM, Evark wrote: The second link to resend an email to an account is broken. This is on the page confirming that you've signed up for an account that is entitled "Welcome to Newgrounds.com!"

Thanks, I've fixed that.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-06 22:48:15

At 9/6/05 06:44 PM, liljim wrote:
At 9/6/05 05:19 PM, amplefied wrote: I'm not sure if this system is already in place or not.

Really? I never knew this... what's the rules on this? (I looked through the Portal FAQ... couldn't find anything) - But is it based on how quickly you submit them in a row - and what their score was?
I'm sorry if any of these remarks seem illplaced or misguided - but you now have me curious...

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-07 00:56:10

Holy coolness when did the favorite movie and author limit increase. I don't know what the max is now but it used to be 50. Or did I realize this a bit late?

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-07 17:58:56

OK. had a little cider, so consider this as coming from a user rather than a mod (responsible? me? No way.)

At 9/6/05 10:48 PM, Nomader wrote:
At 9/6/05 06:44 PM, liljim wrote:
Really? I never knew this... what's the rules on this? (I looked through the Portal FAQ... couldn't find anything)

I have to agree with this, and the other person who suggested it. Both the BBS rules and the Portal FAQ desperately need updating. There are things like this and the new collab restrictions in the Flash forum, that should be added, and I'd also like to see the WHOLE of the BBS rules page incorporated into the Portal FAQ page - and a change in its name, to NG FAQ, so that it fully covers the BBS too.
Now Newgrundling (bless his cotton socks) is active again, maybe he could update things as necessary, and the page could be replaced with a lot more detail, including perhaps links to these, or 'sticky' versions of them:

Newgrundling's General FAQ
Newgrundling's NG Levels FAQ
Newgrundling's Blam/Protect FAQ
Newgrundling's Voting Power FAQ
Newgrundling's Whistles FAQ

Some of them are a little out of date, but they're still very informative to the kind of person who wants to delve deeper into the way NG works.

I also agree with guy who said that whistle point should be visible in profile, talking of which - what's the progress on the profile page updates? I thought they were ready to be implemented months ago...

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-07 21:31:32

At 9/7/05 05:58 PM, Denvish wrote: Newgrundling's General FAQ
Newgrundling's NG Levels FAQ
Newgrundling's Blam/Protect FAQ
Newgrundling's Voting Power FAQ
Newgrundling's Whistles FAQ

In the FAQs or the Rules page maybe those links (the Newgrundling ones) could be inserted among the rules where necessary because i think his FAQ are a lot more clear than the ones on the FAQs/ Rules page...

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-08 07:14:46

How about seperating the featured Series flash by genre... As in, Action, Comedy, Horror, etc...

Or maybe even go a step further and allow you to search(with the search engien) by genre rather than just Title or Author. This would also mean that you have to add the ability for Flash Authors to specify what Genre they want their flash to be categorized as.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-08 07:18:30

I've finally came up with a good idea. Put the FAQ underneath or next to the Primer on the front page. That way, we won't have people asking the whole "How do you deposit EXP." question.

It should say, "New to the site? Read the Newgrounds Primer and the FAQ(Very Important)" Linking to both.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution Mk2 2005-09-08 16:19:08

I think it would be cool to have a search that you types in the artist of the song in the flash.
cuz if I want to finde flash with Green day songs or somthing I could type "green day"
and the flash movies with green day songs in it wil apear!
what do you think?