00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KI1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who Wants to be an Asshole?

6,727 Views | 66 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 19:39:23

FHM (the UK equivalent to MAXIM, now in the states) recently picked their 100 favorite on-line games. Among many other Newgrounds favorites was Pico vs. Uberkids. The publicity from FHM has had some negative side-effects, however...

---

Dear Sirs

I note that you are using the music from the TV show 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" on your website - newgrounds.com/pico/uberkids.html

As owners of the copyright and all other rights to the music we insist that you immediately remove the music from your site.

If I do not hear from you that the music has been removed from the site within 48 hours I will instruct our lawyers to initiate legal proceedings against you.

Yours sincerely

Matt Speller
Business & Legal Affairs
Celador International Ltd.

---

At least now we know what magazine this guy jerks off to while he's on the toilet. The loops were minimal and very short, but I decided to remove them for the heck of it. That show is dead anyway. Go check out Pico vs. Uberkids with the new sounds! I might refine it later...

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 19:51:21

WOOHOO FIRST POST!

anyway i dont like the new sounds :P

www.angelfire.com/goth/xfinalflashxredux please go there and sign my guestbook

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 19:52:00

Dude, you know this guy loves the cock. He needs to back off and understand it's just a game. No big deal. It's not like Who Wants To Be A Millionare is even a good show anymore. Peace.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 19:57:18

At 5/27/02 07:52 PM, TexanSpecial wrote: Dude, you know this guy loves the cock. He needs to back off and understand it's just a game. No big deal. It's not like Who Wants To Be A Millionare is even a good show anymore. Peace.

Ya but you have to understand that they copyrighted everything that deals witht the show. Do you understand what copyright means. Anyways, they do have a point though tom, after all they did copyright everything; but who cares they still shouldn't make you rid the flash of sound. It's been on the site for tyhe longest time. That guys an idiot but has power.

Afroman_0002

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 20:11:11

At 5/27/02 07:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: FHM (the UK equivalent to MAXIM, now in the states) recently picked their 100 favorite on-line games. Among many other Newgrounds favorites was Pico vs. Uberkids. The publicity from FHM has had some negative side-effects, however...

---

Dear Sirs

I note that you are using the music from the TV show 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" on your website - newgrounds.com/pico/uberkids.html

As owners of the copyright and all other rights to the music we insist that you immediately remove the music from your site.

If I do not hear from you that the music has been removed from the site within 48 hours I will instruct our lawyers to initiate legal proceedings against you.

Yours sincerely

Matt Speller
Business & Legal Affairs

---

At least now we know what magazine this guy jerks off to while he's on the toilet. The loops were minimal and very short, but I decided to remove them for the heck of it. That show is dead anyway. Go check out Pico vs. Uberkids with the new sounds! I might refine it later...

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 20:31:13

....................now that is just plain stupid. Ok, tom, i have to ask you something. How many people have actually had something that little to bitch about? That's just damn weird. Those guys don't even have anything to do with who wants to be a millionare! Ah, who cares, when you have an awesome website like newgrounds, people have to find something to bitch about.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 20:33:33

well sounds like some1 got a little sand in their vagina!

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 21:02:11

At 5/27/02 07:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: FHM (the UK equivalent to MAXIM, now in the states) recently picked their 100 favorite on-line games. Among many other Newgrounds favorites was Pico vs. Uberkids. The publicity from FHM has had some negative side-effects, however...

---

Dear Sirs

Yours sincerely

Matt Speller
Business & Legal Affairs

---

has this guy heard of freedome of speech to I think you should sue him

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 21:07:05

At 5/27/02 07:39 PM, TomFulp wrote: FHM (the UK equivalent to MAXIM, now in the states) recently picked their 100 favorite on-line games. Among many other Newgrounds favorites was Pico vs. Uberkids. The publicity from FHM has had some negative side-effects, however... hey Tom why don't you sue him

---

Dear Sirs

Yours sincerely

Matt Speller
Business & Legal Affairs

---

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 21:45:31

If the guy is soooo anal over the sound bit, why the hell didn't he sue the million or so comedy and other shows on television that spoofed or flat out insulted that lame ass show. Same reason Mad Magazine can spoof everything regardless of copyrights. I believe it's called the 'fair use' act, or something like that. Call everything Satire and you can buttsurf any copyright you like.
Game on.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 21:50:51

Shit, tom. Your fuckin hilarious at twisting people's comments. The way you deal wit issues like this (I read the literature page) is awesome.

Anyhoo, I liked the old sounds better because they portrayed mre suspense and shit. These are cool but dont fit just PERFECTLY.

One last thing. Who composes these samples? How? can you post more tutorials? Blah.

Who Wants to be an Asshole?

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 22:33:01

The truth is Americans do need to laugh more, desperately so, and corporate intellectual property just isn't funny. Neither is most television.
So we have a dilemma. Until now, most of the music groups, icons, logos, cynosures and what-have-you parodied on NG have been ignored by the parties characterized. Thing is, NG is growing, and about 1/2 of the animations on this site involve some representation of trademark, or some infringement of copyright. Most of the funny ones, at least.

Then there is a deeper problem. In case anyone is still in the dark, we do not live in a "nice" society. This is the look-over-your-shoulder culture. This is the nation of deadbolts, household firearms, car security devices, nuclear bombs and anthrax strains that - guess what, K-Mart shoppers - came from our own US military. This is the make-money-while-you-can culture. This is the era in which corporate, religious, state and educational leaders secretly agree on one adage: PEOPLE ARE NOT WORTH IT.

We live in a culture which peddles dreams of being Britney Spears to lower-class 12 and 13 year old girls - girls in trailer parks and ghettos who buy Britney's albums with the money their stauatory-rape age boyfriends give them. We live in a nation which peddles hope of becoming "just like Shaq" to lower-class 12 and 13 year old boys who buy his posters, his trading cards and even his brand of shoes with the money they're paid for trafficking illegal narcotics. The reason it continues is because people continue the process.

Are people worth it???

Each of us has to answer that for his own satisfaction. However, the resultant answer probably isn't going to make waves in any national or international sense. It might only be at a community level. Might only be with one other person. That's how it usually is.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 22:37:09

how about this guys name so we can heras him?

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 22:41:01

Hey Tom, if you still have Mr. Speller's e-mail can you pass along that Hitler wants his Swastika back.

When did making a parody of something become illegal?

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 22:56:49

This from a show that is more or less canceled? I'd say use it or loose it!

Is that your Final answer?

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 23:21:57

Dear Sirs

Yours sincerely

Matt Speller
Business & Legal Affairs

---

Come ON Tom!!! You arent really falling for this bullshit are you? If this is even a real letter from real legal representation its still total BS. Why? Simple, acording to internet law all things placed on the internet unless expressly (sp) stated are PUBLIC DOMAIN. Meaning if you dont copywrite it, password protect it, include a statement about not downloading it, make it so it is NOT downloadable or copyable it FAIR GAME. In order to violate copywrite law uberkids would have to a) be making money from the use of the clip....NOT
b) be taking away from the business of Who wants to be Regis's bitch (ie the segway letter)..... he does a fair job of that himself Id say.
c)be clearly copied from the show......I cant tell where the music is from and damned if Ive been able to find whowantstobeamillionaresong.mp3 anywhere on the net. Dont cave in like this, the new sounds are gay, put em back and stand up for yourself.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-27 23:26:35

Do me a favour Tom, don't let 'em take it too far. Everyone is running scared now that the site's got some bad press - it's simply not good for a company to be involved with a mockery of the Colombine shootings. Oh? No one fucking cares about Columbine anymore? I guess a few thousand New Yorkers are more important than the kids who died Colorado.

If people refuse to wake up and live in the real world, FINE. Just don't try and stop us.

Kinda off topic. Anyhow - Until the Bangles sue Shakira's tits off, I have no qualms with a copyright or two being infringed. Mind you, legally, it is not infringment in an artistic sense if you alter the said copyrighted material by at least 20%. Regardless, you really are a guy to look up to, Tom, and we all support you.

One last thing NEVER agree to do a television interview, but if they come after you, Don't hide from the camera. Just start doin' some Tom Green shit untill they leave you alone.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 00:02:27

Unfair. Completely unfair. Much like Nintendo stopping people from playing Nintendo roms, when people can't buy NES games anymore, or don't want to go through that kind of trouble. Corporate worlds these days...... Make a game Who Wants To Be An Asshole and do whatever it takes to make fun of them. Or make a flash version of Who Wants To Beat Up A Millionaire

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 00:52:54

When push comes to shove, it's best to step sideways.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 01:00:48

Who wants to be stuck up? Obviously this guy does. I figured they'd nail that one soon enough, though...Changing the sounds'll keep 'em off ya. Heck, maybe you should change it back when they stop harassing you so much. Stuck up pricks.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 01:02:48

my question is how did they release a game called who wants to beat up a millionare if the people at this tv show are bitching about something this small?

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 01:11:54

Stoopid layers!

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 02:39:25

My fucking gawd, evertime NG gets in the news...like you said...the bullwashing bastard LAWYERS come out to play! Let me guess, they have nothing better to do, besdies squeezing their meatsticks, to come and harass Tom?!

Tom, I've seen and read about your exploits...like the Peanuts flash and all that. You have put up with too much shit from all this unknowon companies who just wanta piece of you and wanna protect their ROTTEN asses. If you read Comorat's post, what he siad is right on the money. You're not making money off Uberkid's so you have right to keep it in it's orignal form. Besides, what are they afraid of? That damn show has lost so much ratings that it's gonna be cancelled anyway. Poor Regis...oh well fo gives a flying fuck?

Anyway, Tom you have the right of way here so if you are the man I think you are you will stand up to these little bitches and fight fire with fire...although lawyers do cost money. Just do me a favor and tell these miserable cunts to go blow an exhaust pipe...fukking assholes it's people like that that cause shit like the WTC bombing to occur.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 02:44:45

Mister Ed: righteous political rant, I agree :)

Neway, Tom i'm suprised that your backing down at this, after standing up for Kaboom and Sagway, This guy was very direct though and did threaten direct legal action so I guess it's not worth fucking with him.

You are not infringing copyright as you are not making any money from the samples in any way, Celador just seem to be jumping on their high horses for no reason.

No matter how many assholes have a go Newgrounds and it's spirit will survive :)

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 02:47:14

Wow, I cant wait until everyone gets a sense of humor it will be the greatest day of my life. I think newgrounds gets picked on too much!!

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 03:30:15

wow that guy is such a tool. what is the band gonna get legal acton after me i dont think so

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 04:25:46

This is ridiculous

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 05:14:28

The bastards, what is the point of this treath anyway? So they were ready to send their lawyers after ng. they're morons.

The Newgrounds forums are not for serious debate, but humorous entertainment only.

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 06:07:31

what is up wiht all the sucky top 5 flash lately?

Response to Who Wants to be an Asshole? 2002-05-28 08:19:12

they also made their top 100 women list recently, hoo yeah!