00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tdpreston just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Website Helping Crew!

4,992 Views | 106 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 14:31:12

This crew is for ppl who have made a website or are currently making a website who want to know what ppl think about how it looks, the design of it, the content and any other general stuff!

This crew gives people good and bad opinions about the person(s) site they have created and you can give those ppl tips about layout ideas and stuff like that!
this basically helps ppl out so they can improve on what they've already done or are planing to do.

You dont have to join to give your opinions and you dont have to join if you want to show off your site so it gets rated by fellow NG users! its that simple!

all critisism must be good and not something like "you suck!" or "I hope you die!"
constructive critisism wanted, abusive not wanted!

so send links to your site so ppl can help you out with things and such.

Enjoy!

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 14:34:21

i guess i'll start then.
My Site

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 14:37:25

I like websites... I dont have one but can I be a critic? Oh and by the way, this club has proably already been tried before, but Im not sure (to lazy to search).

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 14:39:00

At 4/29/05 02:37 PM, Toxic_Baracuda wrote: I like websites... I dont have one but can I be a critic? Oh and by the way, this club has proably already been tried before, but Im not sure (to lazy to search).

sure you can be a critic!

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 14:46:56

I usually hate sites with bg music but that wasnt too bad, but I dont recommend it. Anyway, its a nice site... but what are you producing?

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 14:50:48

At 4/29/05 02:46 PM, Toxic_Barracuda wrote: I usually hate sites with bg music but that wasnt too bad, but I dont recommend it. Anyway, its a nice site... but what are you producing?

flash movies, very soon i'll put some on but first im saving up for a new flash kit!
but i have three ideas for a flash movie all set up so i'll post very soon.
thanks for the review on my site!

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 14:57:48

no prob dude, hey if you want to make a collab i can make up some good stories and scripts. I used the 30 day trial on Flash but it ran out... im saving up for it now.

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 15:00:16

This is a nice idea, but i'd suggest you put this in the programming forum because if we are going to be talking about HTML etc.

Anyway, i will join. And i would seriosuly advice you to only allow MEMBERS to rate sites because you'll get thousands of n00bs coming in and messing up this good little crew. Plus if i was a visitor to here asking someone to rate my site, then i would prefer someone, who has been told they were good at rating sites, rating my site rather than some random person coming in and criticising someone.

As for my example of reviewing a site...i will use your site as an example:

Overall Look:

Sorry, i don't necessarily like it, mainly because it isn't a design it was one of the free designs you got from, freewebs i think? Also the stars going by and stars moving towards your mouse pointer...bad choice...i don't know how to explain but never use stuff like that it will eitehr annoy people or it will just make the site come up slower for someone who has a slow internet connection.

Content:

Nice content, but i really suggest that you stop using free scripts for websites. Also, make a frontpage that will contain the poll, a link to the chatroom and a small guesbook...all on the frontpage. As for the chatroom, i doubt many people would go on to someone personal website and go to the chat room. A more likely place people will go to a chatroom is a big place like here, newgrounds.com.
I'd also suggest putting up links to affiliate or links to websites you like, but don't put it on a seperate page, put some little pictures on the main frame of the website linking to the websites you like.
Add more content, for example tutorials for Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. Maybe a hire option where people can ask you to do work for them. Just look at other website with this content and get some ideas.
Oh and don't give a small music option at the bottom of the page...it annoys the shit out of people who like music and then come on your page and get blasted with some music they either don't like or some music while they are playing they're own music.

Suggestions:

Learn HTML and CSS. Trust me, Html is amazingly easy after you read some tutorials, and then read some tutorials on CSS. A bit harder but once you get some tags you will be flying with an amazing looking website. Trust me.

Remember when you are making your website, use your design skills to make it look good.

And always remember, Google is a programmers best friend!

Rating: 3/10 - Sorry, but it is that bad, you need to seriously look at your page and then differ it from other pages with similar content.

In about a month, i would be happy to help you with your website if you want, just email me at Sean2k4@msn.com

BBS Signature

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 15:02:22

At 4/29/05 02:46 PM, Toxic_Barracuda wrote: I usually hate sites with bg music

Look, an example of what i was talking about :P heh heh

BBS Signature

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 15:15:41

At 4/29/05 03:02 PM, lde wrote:
At 4/29/05 02:46 PM, Toxic_Barracuda wrote: I usually hate sites with bg music
Look, an example of what i was talking about :P heh heh

2 votes against me, time to get rid of the music! :( but also :) for some reason...

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 15:19:11

Wow nice review Ide! I sort of know html and Ide is right. If you learn how to use it, you can customize your site with endless possibilities. Personally, for a beginner web site, it wasnt that bad. However, you can make it a whole lot cooler. Oh, and dont put something on thier that can follow the cursor, thats a sign of a noob web designer. I hope this club lasts on the front pg until tonight so we can get some members. I hope it doesnt die today. KEEP IT ALIVE BY POSTING!!!

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 15:30:24

At 4/29/05 03:19 PM, Toxic_Barracuda wrote: Wow nice review Ide! I sort of know html and Ide is right. If you learn how to use it, you can customize your site with endless possibilities. Personally, for a beginner web site, it wasnt that bad. However, you can make it a whole lot cooler. Oh, and dont put something on thier that can follow the cursor, thats a sign of a noob web designer. I hope this club lasts on the front pg until tonight so we can get some members. I hope it doesnt die today. KEEP IT ALIVE BY POSTING!!!

sorry i couldnt for a while, i hit the 4-post every half hour thing.
but i liked ide's review, it kicked ass! if i might add thanks ide and Toxic for the reviews and if you want, your members of the crew!
oh yeah Toxic i added you to my buddy list, i just need you to accept ;)

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 15:32:34

so what is this?
you guys give advice?
you guys rate other peoples work?
you make websites for people?
what?

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.

PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 15:40:56

At 4/29/05 03:32 PM, Velocitom wrote: so what is this?
you guys give advice?
you guys rate other peoples work?
you make websites for people?
what?

try reading my first post!

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 19:50:41

Hey im back!
and if you want advice on your website, then just post here and i'll review your site!
or if you want to be a critic,t hen just ask and i'll give you a heads up, ok!

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 21:45:42

Sweet, this topic didnt die! Anyway, DRNJK i added you to the buddy list. Anyone got a site they want rated? Oh and Velocitom, I think DRNJK meant for this thread for all of the things you implied.

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-29 22:44:42

okay, so nobody on this site has a website they want to be advised?!

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-30 07:05:00

I seen something like this before but what the hell...

www.ghostmotel.com

Its a never ending work, i like it, and im working on a second one ill show that one later...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-30 09:41:17

At 4/30/05 07:05 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote: I seen something like this before but what the hell...

www.ghostmotel.com

Its a never ending work, i like it, and im working on a second one ill show that one later...

~X~

Dude man that was nice what a cool layout. However, I think you should put your link buttons on the side of your site and bot spread around. Nice colors and I like that movie at the top. Sweet job.

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-30 09:44:29

Also, I think you should go to htmlshock.com to add some spunk to ur site. It makes it less stale, and Im not saying that yours is but it is always something cool to consider.

)

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-30 12:27:37

Wow, thanks everyone who commented on my review.

As for GhostMotel.com

Overall Look:

I have to say, i don't particular like enter pages unless you actually have some interesting information that you can't put one the main page of the website. An idea would be to put a flash intro instead of just a picture, this way it would show people your talents and encourage to click the enter link rather than just looking at a picture with GhostMotel printed on it telling them to enter, with a flash intro it attracts people otherwise, don't have an enter page and just put the "You need flash" etc as a footer of the page along with a copyright statement. As for the main website, looks good. Apart from the fact that it is waaaay to cluttered at the top, there is really no symmetry, if you get what i mean, there is just pictures on random places, along with a flash bit at the side, (which i suggest to make a larger version and use that as the flash intro. For the pictures and links, have the google ads all the way along and under that have a banner or a marquee where all the picture links to affiliates to other sites go, and keep the pictures the same as (usualy 32 by 32 pixels i think), i'm sure newgrounds and napster have that size of links, because that kind of picture link is globally used, an as advice, if they don't make one yourself, it only takes two seconds to fill a 32 by 32 picture.
Other than that, it looks pretty good, spice you website up a bit organize stuff about etc, make it look perfect. One thing that made me think, was this isn't very attractive, it looks like one of those websites that were made ages ago, when there was no such thing as...i'm not sure how to stress this...looking good. That may seem harsh, but i don't mean to be, i am trying to find a word better than that to stress how it looks. It just looks like a website made a long time ago, that's all i can say. Other than all that it looks really good.

Oh i forgot to say,

I really don't understand why people don't use iFrames, if you know Html, USE IT. iFrames could be the most useful tool for updating a website, as you keep the whole look of the website the same. Please and trust me, USE iFRAMES!!! You'll never have stress updating your website again!

Content:

Your content is fine, no drawbacks or anything, the most i can say is just about the look of your website to be honest, Just organize your stuff more, us tables to make your website look professional and then use CSS and nice design tomake it look nice.

Another thing about the design which i noticed, i really don't like those bars seperating everything, change them, please, i would rather have just a solid thin purple line rather than a 3D one.

Suggestions:

I have no more to say apart from everything i said above. Just another thing i noticed, the text at the top with links to part of the website. Take them away and use HotSpots on you header and put them above each of the text on the picture, it would be much better. If you don't understand, use Microsoft Frontpage to make hotspots on the picture. Or you could make sepeate picture links for the text.

On my own website i have hotspots so in awhile if you keep in touch with me i can show you what a hotspot is if you don't understand. As for the picture links to each page of your website, loook at MustyWindows.com for the same kind of idea.

BBS Signature

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-30 18:04:15

Holy crap Ide what a reveiw!!! Oh, and where the hell is DRNJK!?

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-30 18:36:34

At 4/30/05 06:04 PM, Toxic_Barracuda wrote: Holy crap Ide what a reveiw!!! Oh, and where the hell is DRNJK!?

hehe, thanks. Don't know where DRNJK is...

Anyway, i'll get around to reviewing your website threestar, it'll probably be in about a minute, and thanks for the compliments.

I forgot to rate the website i was reviewing...ghostmotel.com so...

Rating:

6/10 - The main drawback is the design.

I know that wasn't much to say but i have nothing more to say :P

Oh and i hope that everyone i review here is ok if i put my reviews on my website Laugh Or Die Entertainment. I don't see why you wouldn't want me to because it is basically free advertising, unless i take the piss out of your website :-P

Ok, on to threestar's website...

BBS Signature

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-30 19:27:52

At 4/29/05 02:34 PM, DRNJK wrote: i guess i'll start then.
My Site

wooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww!. a free host. like no one with half a mind cant do that. piece of piss. that's not your site. it's property of freewebs. so technically you can't help websites if you cant even make one.

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-04-30 19:46:37

Threestar's website...

I like it, you have a talent...for design...but i'll come on to that later on in the review;

Design:

Wow, i have to say i love it. Nice colour theme, nice PSP effects, and on that note...thank god i have found someone who uses PSP :-P.
Anyway, my first drawback is the enter page, it is nice, but pieces of text just seem to be thrown about and then there is this giant space between "Made in Notepad" and "Self Indulgence", also on that note about notepad, i'd just like to suggest to you, use textpad, it has that lovely little frame on the side to easily navigate form one page to another :-P plus it has syntax highlighting so it would be faster for you to update.
Anyway, about the enter page, i like it it just seems a bit stupid, make it more organised in a way, i know you want that "grunge, rebel" look which i like and think it suits the website, but just don't throw text around that makes no sense to most people.

On the main page, i have to say, leave that huge ass picture for the enter page for just for a design bit because, it would be a lot easier if it was smaller because as soon as i seen it i thought it was another enter page.
Apart from that, the design looks great, on THAT note :-P i have to say, you have an nice talent for web designing...i hope that Ruth.exe site is yours, because that is amazing! I love it, it's simple small and beautiful, it's great. :-D The only drawback on that, is the fact that it is too pixelised, smooth it out, i don't like that kind of pixel thing too much, i don't mind it but when it is way too big, i don't.

Oh and just another thing, on the menu, have text above each part of the menu (affiliates, pages) because when you just put a space in, i wasn't sure whether the site i was clicking on was yours or someone elses, but it became obvious when i read through your site, but still.

Content (not the page alone :-P):

Nice content, enough to keep you busy for a long time. Nice to look at etc.

As i said above, "i will come to that later" stick to artwork, because to be Frank, your flash is rubbish, sorry but it is. I don't want to start rating flashes but just stop using pictures and moving them about in flash, i haven't watched everything so i don't know if it gets better or worse, but sorry i don't like it.

Comics...good, i like them...some of them confusing others were funny. But overall they were good. And ncie to know there was a LOT of them to look at.

Overall...i like the fact that you keep the constant theme of comedy going throughout you website. Mostly everywhere i turned i either laughed or smiled ("this is not a link") stuff like that is just good to put in and doesn't take that much hard work (obviously), just a note to some people who have shit websites!

I live looking at your art, and also the about pages, quite interesting who came about with triscuit :-P

Suggestions:

Either make a decent flash or get rid of it, sorry but i had to be harsh somewhere in my review :-P
There's nothing much to say really, just take some ideas that i said above.
And also, for some odd reason, i hate counters, they look out of place in a website and just seem stupid to me.
Keep improving in making comics

Thats all really.

Rating:

9/10 - I like the design and the content, just need to improve in some things.

[Off Review] - To add to the "helping" section of this crew, threestar...do you ming telling me that nifty little transparent iFrame code :-P it looks really good :-D. I probably won't use it on my own website, but a nice thing to know.

BBS Signature

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-05-01 07:03:01

sorry i havent been replying lately but ive had some very important stuff to get through,
but i'll be on all day to look around and see whats happening!
so keep sending links to your site and if you want to join give me a message!

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-05-01 07:50:57

At 4/30/05 02:16 PM, ThreeStar wrote:

Hey TreeStar i checked out your site, and i love it!

Colour Schemes
i quite liked the colour schemes to your site! very bold and it sticks out very clearely, very striking. The orange, red and yellow blends in very well with the grey background colour and the picture at the top is real cool and is just such a great graphic!

Content
A lot of content to go through, so many posts and shit, i had so much reading to do!
I read the 'I hate christmas' post's, the new one makes so much sense and your putting a cross a very good point about the spending fatuacation that everyone has around christmas time.
and i read the brad pickup lines, good for a nice chuckle very funny to read!
my fave was:
Brad: Hey, wanna come over for some pizza, tech tv, and fuck?
Brianna:*smack*
Brad:Ow... what, dont you like pizza?
very funny man, i shall try one of those one day, lol.

Flash Work
I dont really enjoy all your flash work, i know i probobly couldnt do any better but i think its a matter of opinion. I think the good thing about your flash work is that its always very random, random is good!
i liked the 'i gotta get through this' music video the most.
i think you should produce atleast one serious flash to your site seen as everything on there seems to be very dumb or just plane out random, remember i said random is good!

i'll carry on with the reveiw later but now i got other stuuf to do, i'll reply to other message later!
sorry for going again!

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-05-01 15:26:54

Just wondering, is it ok if i put my above reviews on my website (asking everyone)

BBS Signature

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-05-01 15:35:01

Hey I'll give you guys something to review.
Please review this in an hour or so. We're currently working to get it back online. We got kicked by our host and now have a new one but we have to upload everything again and that takes time. So review it in about an hour.
I'll be looking forward to your reviews.

Response to Website Helping Crew! 2005-05-01 16:58:50

Ok, yoow...your review:

Design:

I like it. Nice colour scheme, eye catching. Good layout, Nice and simple.
But to be honest, i think you have kept it too simple, thee is something about the look fo it that just seems to be continously the same throughout the site which sometimes can be ok, but when abused it isn't something that amazes you at the look of it. It is decent but it ceases to amaze me (someone said that awhile ago in another board, just thought it was a good expression) and seems to get boring after each page.

Other than that, the drawbacks are at the right side of the site where your google ad is placed, move that to somewhere else, because it seems a bit stupid when that is on top of the affiliates and the other text you had there, either move the ads to the top or move the affiliates to the top. Simple really. It looks like you have used iFrames, always a good thing!
ANother thing to mention is everything, to me just seems to spaced out, i'm not telling you to crunch everything up just move things about a bit and see what looks best.
One more thing, lose some of the 3D elements on the page. But that is just my opinion that i don't like too much 3D stuff.

Oh and lastly: try to organize your links to each page in order of importance. It shouldn't take that long, i did it with my own site today, but it took ages but only because i use hotspots for links on my site, but anyway, my suggestion would be too have less important things above the heading of the website, such as "contact", "faq", "legal" etc and then have your more important stuff underneath the banner, such as "tutorials", "games" etc

Content:

Nothing much to say about the content. There is enough of it and all of it is good stuff. I'm not sure what to say.
I actually noticed in my previous reviews that i am reducing the size of what i write in this content part, so i might just stick to reviewing the design section of websites.

Rating:

7/10 - Just tidy up a bit and try and attract your visitors rather than bore them with the same look over and over again.
Actually a suggestion to oversome this is to have a drop-down menu at the top of the screen allowing he users to select their own layout of your page. It won't be that hard if you use iFrame's for your content.

BBS Signature