00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HAST3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

663,555 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-08-31 21:13:14

At 8/31/14 04:16 PM, Glyxis wrote: Hi. I was wondering is it possible to have more FX slots in the mixer than 8? Or any other way to add more effect plugins? Never needed over 8 but now It would be awesome.

patcher is a good start, though apparently it gets buggy?
you can always just route to the next FX channel (right click the little box just above the FX and disk icons at the bottom of the channel strip, select "Route to this channel only"), then you've got another 8 slots and 3-band EQ on your signal chain.

you can theoretically start on mixer channel 1, then route to channel 2, then route channel 2 to 3 etc. all the way to 99 and get 792 effects on one instrument. you probably shouldn't though

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-08-31 21:16:44

792 patchers

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-08-31 21:20:48

At 8/31/14 09:06 PM, xenxies wrote: I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't put offence in your comments. This provides nothing worthwhile to take good information from. If you believe that my guidance is faulty info then please go right ahead provide feedback, however, there are more people commenting even prior to my initial post that FL Studio will only allow so much freedom with BPM automation.

if you don't know the answer to a question itt, i'd really appreciate it if you didn't just make something up based on the assumption that there is no answer. this provides nothing worthwhile to take good information from.

so yeah, in case anyone else missed it: if you want to freely automate tempo from 10 to 999BPM, open an empty pattern (or any pattern where you want a tempo change), right click the tempo control and select "Edit events". draw tempo automation in the events window. tempo values you enter in the events window will be displayed in the hint bar at the top right. class dismissed m8

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-08-31 21:22:48

At 8/31/14 09:16 PM, Daru925 wrote: 792 patchers

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-08-31 21:42:49

At 8/31/14 09:22 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/31/14 09:16 PM, Daru925 wrote: 792 patchers
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!

My default template when starting a track.

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-08-31 22:30:53

At 8/31/14 09:20 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/31/14 09:06 PM, xenxies wrote: I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't put offence in your comments. This provides nothing worthwhile to take good information from. If you believe that my guidance is faulty info then please go right ahead provide feedback, however, there are more people commenting even prior to my initial post that FL Studio will only allow so much freedom with BPM automation.
if you don't know the answer to a question itt, i'd really appreciate it if you didn't just make something up based on the assumption that there is no answer. this provides nothing worthwhile to take good information from.

so yeah, in case anyone else missed it: if you want to freely automate tempo from 10 to 999BPM, open an empty pattern (or any pattern where you want a tempo change), right click the tempo control and select "Edit events". draw tempo automation in the events window. tempo values you enter in the events window will be displayed in the hint bar at the top right. class dismissed m8

Okay, then maybe you don't realize that when you offset the BPM/Tempo mid song in a DAW then it could potentially off-set the time frame of various sampling, audio clips, etc. So it was my recommendation to use other techniques. I completely understand what you're saying so please stop discrediting my advice.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-08-31 23:00:41

At 8/31/14 10:30 PM, xenxies wrote:

Okay, then maybe you don't realize that when you offset the BPM/Tempo mid song in a DAW then it could potentially off-set the time frame of various sampling, audio clips, etc. So it was my recommendation to use other techniques. I completely understand what you're saying so please stop discrediting my advice.

Anyhow, I'm done with NG and I remember why I left this place back in '06. You guys have fun here with your nonsense moderators that discredit advise whether their opinion of it is negative or not it's still advise.

Also, bro, Music Theory is elementary, entry level shit. I took that my first semester, so have fun.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-08-31 23:34:29

At 8/31/14 11:00 PM, xenxies wrote:

Anyhow, I'm done with NG and I remember why I left this place back in '06. You guys have fun here with your nonsense moderators that discredit advise whether their opinion of it is negative or not it's still advise.

Also, bro, Music Theory is elementary, entry level shit. I took that my first semester, so have fun.

i'm discrediting your advice because it's simply bad advice. you're advocating a shotgun vs fly solution when it's far easier to fix the timing of a whole bunch of audio clips or tempo based samples than to have to resequence everything stupidly for an effect that you then have no easy way of adjusting or making A/B comparisons with.

congrats on finishing first semester music theory though. i'm sure you earned every gold star and lollipop on the way.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-01 00:48:08

At 8/31/14 09:13 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/31/14 04:16 PM, Glyxis wrote: Hi. I was wondering is it possible to have more FX slots in the mixer than 8? Or any other way to add more effect plugins? Never needed over 8 but now It would be awesome.
patcher is a good start, though apparently it gets buggy?
you can always just route to the next FX channel (right click the little box just above the FX and disk icons at the bottom of the channel strip, select "Route to this channel only"), then you've got another 8 slots and 3-band EQ on your signal chain.

you can theoretically start on mixer channel 1, then route to channel 2, then route channel 2 to 3 etc. all the way to 99 and get 792 effects on one instrument. you probably shouldn't though

Ah. of course! I only thought that way I need just more slots, but routing is way much better solution. Heh, thanks, learning new every day. :D (Like I said, never did or needed this before.)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-01 06:51:28

At 8/31/14 11:34 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/31/14 11:00 PM, xenxies wrote:

i'm discrediting your advice because it's simply bad advice. you're advocating a shotgun vs fly solution when it's far easier to fix the timing of a whole bunch of audio clips or tempo based samples than to have to resequence everything stupidly for an effect that you then have no easy way of adjusting or making A/B comparisons with.

congrats on finishing first semester music theory though. i'm sure you earned every gold star and lollipop on the way.

Huh, so I wasn't the only snarker there, let alone the only person who thought xenxies was a snarker as well. But this is getting more toxic by the minute.

Xenxies, you may have finished 1st semester music theory, but one day I ought to drag you by the collar, prop you down on the chair in an ABRSM theory exam, and then see what you are capable of doing. You might surprise me, perhaps, but this is what my reply is about. Making assumptions.

I don't doubt your intention was not to undermine me in any way, and I wholeheartedly accept that. But this is something I have learnt the hard way, and wish to remind you of: there is nothing more hurtful among artists, or any kind of person meeting up, than for one person to assume what the other's listening preferences are, or what his musical ability is, or even what his past experience was.

For my part, I'm already fully qualified in music theory. I could, of course, take the overkill option to rack my brains beyond Grade 8, but I am not in a position to at the moment, even if I wanted to. I openly admit to being a dinosaur in FL Studio, and I often turn to this thread or specific users for help -- for I have the musicality, but not the production skills to go with it. This here is my learning spot, and it is a learning spot for many others as well, but I don't want to turn it into a place where people throw assumptions around. Neither will anyone here. And I bet you'd not like it either, if someone else did the same to you.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-01 12:05:10

Ok...

Tempo automation from 10 to 999.999 bpm . flp

Check this, hope it explains better than my poor english...

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/34a797c4aa3abe2e923ceedfa421f6b2

Salut!

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-01 19:56:42

At 9/1/14 11:06 AM, KatMaestro wrote: What Daru said was right.

Tempo changing on FL is limited in many ways. There is absolutely no indicator or icon showing at which point the tempo changed.

hint bar at the top left shows exactly which tempos you're putting in :v

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-01 20:03:31

At 9/1/14 07:59 PM, KatMaestro wrote:
At 9/1/14 07:56 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 9/1/14 11:06 AM, KatMaestro wrote: What Daru said was right.

Tempo changing on FL is limited in many ways. There is absolutely no indicator or icon showing at which point the tempo changed.
hint bar at the top left shows exactly which tempos you're putting in :v
Only when played or mouse-over. Very convenience.

lol really

so you want big fat numbers somewhere else, all the time? sorry if not having that is limiting for you :v

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-01 20:05:31

automation in FL is limited cause the automation clips don't follow you around when you're not playing them!

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-01 20:11:23

OH ok i see why you're confused. i thought you were just being contentious :<

events DO show up on the playlist, they're just inside patterns and not on their own like automation clips. if you want to be 100% sure when the change is occuring put your tempo events in an empty pattern, name the pattern TEMPO CHANGE OMG and colour it hot pink. that way you'll never lose it and you'll always know that it's the tempo change pattern and not the bongo ensemble pattern.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-04 14:27:09

At 9/1/14 06:51 AM, Troisnyx wrote: words!

Might be a stupid answer, I might get yelled at because I'm basically saying what xenxies is saying to do, but did you know about this bugger? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46645289/paaaint.jpg Took me ages to find out it existed since it only appears whenever the hell it likes your zoom settings/how many notes you've selected/etc. It stretches out notes much more mathematically than your puny meat-based human brain could ever hope to cope with/deals with FL's finest-grained time division (pulse), and if you need it finer (or looser, for that matter), it's adjustable in the project settings. Just zoom in towards the end of the notes to make sure it's snug with a non-weird time division, or hold alt to snap to 25% increments.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-04 21:20:46

At 9/4/14 02:27 PM, Eagleon wrote:
Might be a stupid answer, I might get yelled at because I'm basically saying what xenxies is saying to do, but did you know about this bugger?

this question has already been answered properly by two people, thanks

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-05 02:20:33

At 9/4/14 09:20 PM, midimachine wrote:
Might be a stupid answer, I might get yelled at because I'm basically saying what xenxies is saying to do, but did you know about this bugger?

You're welcome.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-05 03:56:09

At 9/5/14 02:20 AM, Eagleon wrote:
At 9/4/14 09:20 PM, midimachine wrote:
You're welcome.

You're making this far more toxic than it needs to be. Thanks for throwing assumptions out.

In cinematic and classical music you don't always need to do the math -- all you need is emotional slowdown where necessary. And when you play an instrument you don't necessarily think of doing math when slowing down -- you just slow down when it feels right.

Two people have told me about automation and the events window, and I've used the events window to great effect. I can't yet describe it, not until this piece is finished.

I tried to be civil in addressing xenxies, but my patience is fast wearing off. I was honestly hoping the vitriol-throwing would end!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-05 04:09:24

At 9/5/14 03:56 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
You're making this far more toxic than it needs to be. Thanks for throwing assumptions out.

In cinematic and classical music you don't always need to do the math -- all you need is emotional slowdown where necessary. And when you play an instrument you don't necessarily think of doing math when slowing down -- you just slow down when it feels right.

Two people have told me about automation and the events window, and I've used the events window to great effect. I can't yet describe it, not until this piece is finished.

I tried to be civil in addressing xenxies, but my patience is fast wearing off. I was honestly hoping the vitriol-throwing would end!

No vitriol intended!

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and it sounded like you might not know about the stretch handle re. talking about clunkiness for spacing notes apart (I've worked with FL since 7, albeit in kind of a flailing unprofessional way, and I only recently noticed it) And yeah, ideally you'd (or I'd) use a midi keyboard to play things the way it's intended - I don't personally have access to or skill with such, so being able to stretch notes out organically without really worrying about the math beyond basic measure fitting was a godsend.

Tempo shifts in FL do have drawbacks, as stated, in the sense that sample stretching is automatically done, so you might get some severe choppiness if you use them at the same time, so I thought it was worth actually stating a nice way to accomplish what you're asking without painfully and manually editing the entire stream of notes in a pattern one at a time - regardless of whether you knew about it or want to use it, I'm personally reading this thread from the beginning to look for things I wouldn't even think of to ask or do, so in that sense I'd rather say something than not.

I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers by dropping in here so suddenly - I just wanted to help out.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-05 05:08:49

At 9/5/14 04:09 AM, Eagleon wrote:
No vitriol intended!

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and it sounded like you might not know about the stretch handle re. talking about clunkiness for spacing notes apart (I've worked with FL since 7, albeit in kind of a flailing unprofessional way, and I only recently noticed it) And yeah, ideally you'd (or I'd) use a midi keyboard to play things the way it's intended - I don't personally have access to or skill with such, so being able to stretch notes out organically without really worrying about the math beyond basic measure fitting was a godsend.

I know what you mean -- I kinda did this when starting out, but then I felt I needed a more gradual change, and it was hard for me to achieve.

Tempo shifts in FL do have drawbacks, as stated, in the sense that sample stretching is automatically done, so you might get some severe choppiness if you use them at the same time, so I thought it was worth actually stating a nice way to accomplish what you're asking without painfully and manually editing the entire stream of notes in a pattern one at a time - regardless of whether you knew about it or want to use it, I'm personally reading this thread from the beginning to look for things I wouldn't even think of to ask or do, so in that sense I'd rather say something than not.

Understood.

Normally with editing the events window, to circumvent this, I don't slow down in a straight line, because it does make the sound choppy. It's a downward curve, imagine a quarter of a circle, sort of. Quarter of an oval would suit it better... that way, I get the rubato I'm naturally used to. After this round's piece is done I may send you an FLP to explain, if need be.

I hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers by dropping in here so suddenly - I just wanted to help out.

Eh, no worries. ^_^

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-05 05:36:43

At 9/5/14 04:09 AM, Eagleon wrote: Tempo shifts in FL do have drawbacks, as stated, in the sense that sample stretching is automatically done, so you might get some severe choppiness if you use them at the same time, so I thought it was worth actually stating a nice way to accomplish what you're asking without painfully and manually editing the entire stream of notes in a pattern one at a time - regardless of whether you knew about it or want to use it, I'm personally reading this thread from the beginning to look for things I wouldn't even think of to ask or do, so in that sense I'd rather say something than not.

the drawbacks of tempo automation aren't necessarily on FLs part though. cause real time, pitch preserved time-stretching is a nightmare. i heard that live achieves something similar by looking ahead at tempo automation when doing precomputed stretching and warping, which is a really neat feature that FL should totally steal. that said, the stretching is only automatic on samples with tempo info or markers afaik. a long vocal track for instance won't have any stretching at all by default.

look i'm not gonna lie, the paint feature is super nifty. but it's so much easier to just slice your audio clips at the point of tempo change, or to make separate copies of the clips with different adjustments to the absolute multiplication of the clip length, or to do basically anything other than resequence a complex series of notes. if you haven't used audio clips before the tempo automation there's literally no point in doing it, plus if you record an audio clip over a tempo change the timing is preserved.

how about this: load loops into fruity slicer or slicex, problem (mostly) solved!
cause lets face it, nobody on NG is having this problem with any other kind of audio clip
(i mean, i sure as hell don't)

all g m8

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-08 16:51:07

I have one question about Harmor: I have a quite nice synth there, but when i play two notes at same time, the first note fades out completely and start playing the second note. So I'd like to have it like that the first note can still be hear on the "background" of the second note. So how?

Hmm.. Did I explain it too complexly?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-09 08:06:49

Does this happen with default preset as well or just your synth patch?
You probably have enabled legato or monophonic mode somewhere in the synth/channel options/ piano roll, so when two notes overlaps, only one remains.

Salut!

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-09 09:42:44

At 9/9/14 08:06 AM, Daru925 wrote: Does this happen with default preset as well or just your synth patch?
You probably have enabled legato or monophonic mode somewhere in the synth/channel options/ piano roll, so when two notes overlaps, only one remains.

Oh yes, I have actually enabled legato because it gives nice "sliding" effect to another note. And when I turn it off, it plays more notes at same time, BUT it doesn't slide anymore and sounds quite bad. Can it be like that it slides, but also plays more notes at same time?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-09 11:45:20

Activate "porta" switch, uncheck "legato", then in the "pitch" row there is a "legato" panel where you can control glide time and blending options.

Salut!

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-10 04:20:35

Okay, I got it now. Thanks. :)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-10 05:58:13

At 9/1/14 11:06 AM, KatMaestro wrote: Tempo changing on FL is limited in many ways. There is absolutely no indicator or icon showing at which point the tempo changed.

There's a workflow I use which helps which may work for you for tempo changes.

> Stretch the channel really large. This allows you to get an easy handle on things.
> Have your scrub over the point where you are changing tempo. This means when grabbing the point you'll get real time feedback on how fast/slow it will be.
> Once you have decided on your tempo, if you need to know it at quick glance. Create a marker for it (ALT and T). This will create a marker which you can drag and position where needed. Once you have created one marker, you can add multiples by right clicking and say 'add marker' and specific positions.

One problem with FLstudio is that it stretches all the timeline of samples depending on the live tempo you're on. Other DAW's dont do this, from what Ive seen. But it's only a visual problem, when your scrub is over it, it retains the tempo you set it at. However, it's annoying as fuck to watch all the samples bunch up through playback when you slowdown and speed up timings, this then causes problems when working with video, and quickly placing your scrub cause's the video player to mess up in position. But FLStudio is hardly the film scoring tool, it's really not designed for it.

Anyway, hopefully this workflow will aid you a bit in tempo changes. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-09-11 15:48:11

checking phase relative to what? if you're looking for stereo phase issues, use the stereo separation knob on the master channel and listen for any sounds disappearing or sounding wacky. apart from that you should be able to check phasing by listening to all your instruments normally - phasing generally sounds like someone's put a flanger with no LFO on. then you have to figure out what's causing the phase issues in the problem instruments, checking all your chanmel routing and plugin wet/dry mix settings is a good start

Well yeah I was to check for phase issues. I do use the mono tip but it would be nice to check visually as well to back up my ears.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2014-10-18 20:32:42

Hey guys, what's the difference between porta and slide in Piano Roll?