00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted HoneyGoldenBee supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

663,674 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-15 15:32:11

At 9/15/10 07:00 AM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 9/15/10 06:36 AM, Numi wrote: every time I mouse over ANY automation clips a Windows dialogue box with a red X appears and plays an brief sound denoting an error of some sort
Reset your audio settings, if that doesn't work, then re-install the program.

If it helps, running FL Studio 8 on Windows 7.
FL8 is the glitchiest version ever, you should definitely be using FL9.1 or 9.5 beta. It's pretty stupid not to use the free upgrades for life abilities.

=O I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THE FREE UPGRADES FOR LIFE. OH MY- DUH!!!! Thanks man =D A clean install of 9 should solve whatever this problem is. Thanks!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-16 09:16:14

I am pretty expierenced with FL Studio BUT there is only 1 minor thing i haven't figured out yet:
How can i create Automation-Clips with non-FL-Studio-Synths? You know, that little handy clip that automates a cutoff, a pan or so. I am addicted to these clips and i want to use them on my 3rd party Synths as well.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-16 12:17:27

At 9/16/10 09:16 AM, TillDawn wrote: I am pretty expierenced with FL Studio BUT there is only 1 minor thing i haven't figured out yet:
How can i create Automation-Clips with non-FL-Studio-Synths? You know, that little handy clip that automates a cutoff, a pan or so. I am addicted to these clips and i want to use them on my 3rd party Synths as well.

Are you using FL9 or earlier?

If you are using FL9, open your third party plug-in and go to Plug-In Options in the very top left of the plug-in window(its a little downward pointed arrow), then go to Browse Parameters in that submenu, and from there you will notice that whenever you move a knob it will highlight in your Browser(F8 if its not open) that setting that you are tweaking. You can then right click the parameter in the browser and make an automation clip like normal.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-16 12:40:11

Awesome, thank you so much. :D

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-18 08:40:59

At 9/18/10 08:23 AM, Skeepsis wrote: In the piano roll, the melody loops back to the start at 2, how can I define myself where the loop point is?

It will always loop back to the beginning. The end point is defined by the last measure that there is a note value within. So if you are trying to have it only loop back the first measure, then you need to make sure you don't have any notes that exceed into the second one, even if it's just the tail end of a note.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-18 10:04:46

Hi all, i got a weird kind of bug in fruity loops. Some samples in fruity loops affects other samples. So i made a melody with the "Silver saw" sample and putted it in the playlist but then if i play a note with the sample "Digi" (also sytrus) the silver saw melodie and all other things play softer but i want the digi to play in the background. effects also affect those things

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-20 16:29:34

Full title: Songs that transition from a triplet beat to a regular 4x4 beat and vice versa.

HOW?! I don't understand this! I've been listening to a lot of dubstep and DNB lately, and a lot of the songs have spots that switch from the standard 4x4 beats to a triplet beat. They do it pretty seamlessly too. I don't know if there is something I need to automate or what, but I know it isn't the swing part of the pattern, because that's swing, not triplets.

Is it something special I need to do in the piano roll, or do I just have to create multiple copies of the melodies and beats with half of them set up in triples?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-20 17:12:33

At 9/20/10 04:29 PM, Kaizerwolf wrote:

Is it something special I need to do in the piano roll, or do I just have to create multiple copies of the melodies and beats with half of them set up in triples?

Its spacing on the piano roll. You can change the snap to options to make it every third beat, which would be triplets.

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-20 18:14:38

At 9/20/10 05:12 PM, Envy wrote:
At 9/20/10 04:29 PM, Kaizerwolf wrote:

Its spacing on the piano roll. You can change the snap to options to make it every third beat, which would be triplets.

Actually, it's 1/3 Beat, but 1/6 Beat is better to work with (IMHO) (Basically, 1/3 is 2/6, so what it does speaks for itself.)

That's what I do for triplets anyway. Usually.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-20 18:21:54

I figured there was a spacing/gridlock thing to it, but I want to know if there is a smooth way to switch between triplets and a 4x4 beat. I hear it in a lot of songs now, and I want to try it myself.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-20 18:30:12

i think i asked this before or read it somewhere but i just cant remember, how do you alter tempo on a piano roll? (if possible.. or for what i care the whole song, there are some old tracks of mine i want to remake now that i have better prog and instrumentation but these tracks, when i made them have slower tempo than the regular timing insertions and to make them accurately again without manually making the tempo slower would take ages.)

Sorry if my explanation makes it more confusing.. im a weird man.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-21 06:19:59

At 9/20/10 06:30 PM, Calamaistr wrote: i think i asked this before or read it somewhere but i just cant remember, how do you alter tempo on a piano roll? (if possible.. or for what i care the whole song, there are some old tracks of mine i want to remake now that i have better prog and instrumentation but these tracks, when i made them have slower tempo than the regular timing insertions and to make them accurately again without manually making the tempo slower would take ages.)

I don't know exactly what you mean, but if it helps, altering the tempo can be done by right-clicking on the tempo meter, and clicking 'Create automation clip', or a more accurate way would be to right click on it and click 'Edit Events'.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-21 09:43:45

At 9/20/10 06:21 PM, Kaizerwolf wrote:
I figured there was a spacing/gridlock thing to it, but I want to know if there is a smooth way to switch between triplets and a 4x4 beat. I hear it in a lot of songs now, and I want to try it myself.

There's no SMOOTH way to transition time signatures if you're working with electronic music. The smoothest way is the way I showed, through spacing on the piano roll, you'd be dividing by zero if you changed time signatures mid song in FL. The best you can hope for is use a fill or break to transition between them so it seems more fluid.

And as far as 1/3 beat and 1/3 step go, they're pretty much the same but it doesn't change the whole piano roll to look as if its in 3/4. So I suppose your way is easier, I'm just used to doing what I do.

So yeah if you want an EASIER time getting triplets (though it will sound the same regardles and wont help smoothness) then use the 1/3 beat rather than 1/3 step.

Also what do you mean from triplets to 4/4, do you mean something like This?

Because if so, then you'll want to start with your time signature being 3/4 or 4/3 (in my case) and then using the spacing to make it a 4/4 sound.

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-21 09:48:22

At 9/21/10 06:19 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:
At 9/20/10 06:30 PM, Calamaistr wrote: i think i asked this before or read it somewhere but i just cant remember, how do you alter tempo on a piano roll? (if possible.. or for what i care the whole song, there are some old tracks of mine i want to remake now that i have better prog and instrumentation but these tracks, when i made them have slower tempo than the regular timing insertions and to make them accurately again without manually making the tempo slower would take ages.)

I don't know exactly what you mean, but if it helps, altering the tempo can be done by right-clicking on the tempo meter, and clicking 'Create automation clip', or a more accurate way would be to right click on it and click 'Edit Events'.

What he said... But Im not sure if youre just talking about changing the tempo... Because if you don't know that then... I dont know.

Are you talking about working with the original FLP's and changing the tempo? Because if so... just change the tempo on the project?

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-27 19:24:59

lately when mixing/mastering, ive been using a multiband compressor(maximus) on just about every instrument, ive heard over compressing is bad, but why? To me it just makes everything pop out, the instruments i leave it out on i hear as dull.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-27 22:10:25

At 9/27/10 07:24 PM, jpbear wrote: lately when mixing/mastering, ive been using a multiband compressor(maximus) on just about every instrument, ive heard over compressing is bad, but why? To me it just makes everything pop out, the instruments i leave it out on i hear as dull.

you dont want everything popping out, then it clutters the song. You need to leave space, otherwise listening to it is like being stabbed in the ears.

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-28 17:11:29

you dont want everything popping out, then it clutters the song. You need to leave space, otherwise listening to it is like being stabbed in the ears.

what if im a sadist? :}

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-30 18:13:19

FYI registered users can find the new 9.6 beta in their Image-Line account, under "FL Studio Producer Edition" tab in their owned products list. List of changes (tons of great ones), can be found in the "What's new" document when you install 9.6 beta.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-09-30 19:54:56

I just downloaded the aforementioned 9.6 beta. I really want to screw around with pitcher, so I dug up an old cheap microphone (like an inch long) and plugged it in. My computer's recognizing it as being plugged in, but FL isn't and it's not showing up as registering any sound. I have two of these mics, both with the same problem. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? (other than using some shitty mics)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-02 15:51:36

At 9/30/10 07:54 PM, paradimensional wrote: My computer's recognizing it as being plugged in, but FL isn't and it's not showing up as registering any sound. I have two of these mics, both with the same problem. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Check your audio settings, make sure you are using the right driver.

At 10/2/10 03:33 PM, Skeepsis wrote: For some reason, I have no idea why, only one of my channels is actually making any sound.

Make sure nothing in the clip section is muted, make sure your mixer tracks arent , also make sure you dont have zero velocity notes in your piano roll. Thats the only other things I can think of that would mute stuff besides the "Mute 2" plug-in being loaded in your mixer

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-02 16:02:19

At 10/2/10 03:52 PM, Jow279 wrote: This is a simple question
1- How/Can i download FL studio free?
2- Is there a tutorial on how to use it here in NG?

1 - The demo IS free. Get it from their website.

2 - Also there are thousands of video and written tutorials. Just google it

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-02 17:55:32

At 10/2/10 05:13 PM, Jow279 wrote:
not the demo, the full version.

Downlod via torrents.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-02 19:55:00

At 10/2/10 05:55 PM, Skela wrote:
Downlod via torrents.

Or don't talk about illegal activities in here -.-

SO in other words, you can't get it free legally.

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-03 00:57:45

At 10/2/10 05:55 PM, Skela wrote:
Downlod via torrents.

In other words go rob a software engineer. While you're at it why don't you rape a 12 year old girl too? You bunch of fricken criminals. Too ignorant to realize that youre stealing from people just cause its easy. The demo happens to be damn near fully functional, you just cant save projects so you have to keep it open until you finish & export to mp3. Use it, if you want better, BUY IT

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-03 13:26:33

At 9/27/10 07:24 PM, jpbear wrote: lately when mixing/mastering, ive been using a multiband compressor(maximus) on just about every instrument, ive heard over compressing is bad, but why? To me it just makes everything pop out, the instruments i leave it out on i hear as dull.

Having a little bit of compression on most instruments will make them a lot crisper, brighter, and more in your face... plus of course, louder!

The problem with overcompressing is not having too many compression effects going on, but having too hard of a compressing effect.

For instance, let's say you have an electric guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, and drumkit. If you put a little bit of compression (2:1 ratio 3 or 4 dB under the max peak or less) it can make any or all of those sounds very nice sounding! If you put a heavy amount of compression, though (3:1 ratio, 4:1 ratio, even further down in the dB spectrum, etc.) it really kills the dynamics of the instrument - it squashes the attack transient. Your drums will be louder, but the punch will be from sheer volume, not from the dynamics of the attack, for instance.

So, while a little bit of compression can be good in keeping attack transients under control (so your kick doesn't peak at -3dB but sustain only at -15dB for instance) and for making things a little bit hotter, putting too much compression can result in fatiguing volume levels and kill the dynamics of the volume going up and down. There comes a point where you can't have loud without soft, so removing all softness from your track is not always the best way to make it louder!

So, if you use a little compression on each instrument, then a limiter/maximizer in your master buss appropriately (and sparingly!) it is absolutely alright. But you need to be careful not to use too heavy compression on each instrument, then to be heavy handed again with the maximizer/limiter in your master channel, because that will result in a very undynamic song. You can look up information on the term "loudness war" for more detail, or consult the compression section of the fl studio manual.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-03 13:54:23

At 9/30/10 07:54 PM, paradimensional wrote: I just downloaded the aforementioned 9.6 beta. I really want to screw around with pitcher, so I dug up an old cheap microphone (like an inch long) and plugged it in. My computer's recognizing it as being plugged in, but FL isn't and it's not showing up as registering any sound. I have two of these mics, both with the same problem. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? (other than using some shitty mics)

Read the manual. Press F1 when you have the FL Studio Mixer opened. You need to have ASIO4ALL active, enable your mic in ASIO4ALL (usually just need to do this once if needed at all), then assign a mixer channel to your mic. In that Mixer channel, add in your Pitcher.

BTW, download the 9.6 beta again, as it has been updated a day or so ago with some bugfixes.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-05 08:09:06

At 10/5/10 07:45 AM, Skeepsis wrote: I sent one of the FL Studio 9 pads into channel, but for some reason it's not responding to pitch changes.

In other words, no matter what key I press on the piano roll, it always plays the same note.

I'm pretty sure there's a simple solution to this. Any help?

Yea this happens when the "Time Stretching" settings in the Channel settings window have a preset amount, make sure the "Time" knob is all the way to the left and reset the other two (mul & pitch)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-08 16:21:32

Like label how?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-08 16:25:38

At 10/8/10 03:23 PM, LaForge wrote: Can you label the piano roll notes? I really REALLY need to do this.

As in each note of a pattern? I don't think so.

Thanks to QuikFox for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-08 17:24:36

At 10/8/10 05:02 PM, LaForge wrote: These. I want to replace the notations with my own labels.

Like a midi? I'm not sure how to do that actually. I know you can load like midi drums in there and each one will be labeled with a different drum, I'll have to look into it.

Wat