00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Food Revolution

8,017 Views | 95 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 02:14:22

Edmund and I were discussing things we would like to do that would probably piss off our hardcore fans who have specific expectations of us. Among other things, I said that I want to promote healthy eating.

Sounds goofy, right? I've been reading The Food Revolution. It's really inspiring. I don't know if I'll ever be a vegetarian or vegan, but I have definitely been cutting back on meat since I started reading this book. It is packed with solid information about meat, milk, chemicals and how our eating habits and food production methods are pretty much destroying the world.

To quote Albert Einstein, "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

This book pretty much proves him right once again. So as goofy as it seems, I want everyone with the slightest bit of curiosity to read this book. Yes, I'm linking to it with my Amazon associate ID, so you can help NG when you buy it - but I'm honestly not even sure if this associate ID works (it was technically cancelled at some point after some lady complained to them about NG - but I can still log in so I'm hoping it was never officially shut down)...

Whatever the case, you can also find this book in your local book store. Find it, get it, and read it... And let me know if you did, because I am curious to know if I've helped make a difference. Even if you plan to eat meat until the day you die (as I may very well), you should still read this book just to know the truth about everything you are eating. I guarantee you will be intrigued and amazed by it.

So let me know what ya think and if you'll give it a read!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 02:18:38

At 3/19/02 02:14 AM, TomFulp wrote: Edmund and I were discussing things we would like to do that would probably piss off our hardcore fans who have specific expectations of us. Among other things, I said that I want to promote healthy eating.

Sounds goofy, right? I've been reading The Food Revolution. It's really inspiring. I don't know if I'll ever be a vegetarian or vegan, but I have definitely been cutting back on meat since I started reading this book. It is packed with solid information about meat, milk, chemicals and how our eating habits and food production methods are pretty much destroying the world.

To quote Albert Einstein, "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

This book pretty much proves him right once again. So as goofy as it seems, I want everyone with the slightest bit of curiosity to read this book. Yes, I'm linking to it with my Amazon associate ID, so you can help NG when you buy it - but I'm honestly not even sure if this associate ID works (it was technically cancelled at some point after some lady complained to them about NG - but I can still log in so I'm hoping it was never officially shut down)...

Whatever the case, you can also find this book in your local book store. Find it, get it, and read it... And let me know if you did, because I am curious to know if I've helped make a difference. Even if you plan to eat meat until the day you die (as I may very well), you should still read this book just to know the truth about everything you are eating. I guarantee you will be intrigued and amazed by it.

Reading sometimes gets boring

BBS Signature

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 02:25:03

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 03:03:42

Hmm.. I am the 1337 vegan of the BBS... thats right, tre... kiss it...
I think that ppl should be more aware of ALL the aspects of their lives... including diet... for reasons pertaining both to health and MENTAL well being...
The 1st thing that I notice about (the common) meat eaters is their ignorance to empathy...
example:
Every time someone finds out that I am vegan... their 1st comment is something to the effect of "mmMMmmmm.. I love meat, I like to eat things that have children"...
and they try to get a rise out of me... but I wont say anything in response to them...
I feel as though ppl forget or overlook simple facts about being alive on earth...
#1: A nervous system which we all share and can relate to as being mammals
#2: You dont need meat to live or be healthy
#3: Tradition = something that is given to you... it's not a choice that you make...
So... sorry if I was a little preachy... but WTF... it's 3am and I am wired, buzzed, and ready to debate...

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 03:18:36

In responce to your food message, I think if you want to get a message out get people to read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Sloscher. It's a history of fast food and basically talks about how fast food companys are marketing them selves to the youngest posible market. And just for fun he talks about a lawsiut that took place in the UK I believe, about a man who sued Mickey D's and wanted them to put warming lables on their food the same as cigerete companies have to."Eat this stuff too much and you'll get fat and die before your 40. Just food for thought

Earlyman.

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 03:31:56

At 3/19/02 03:03 AM, mattymetro wrote: Hmm.. I am the 1337 vegan of the BBS... thats right, tre... kiss it...
I think that ppl should be more aware of ALL the aspects of their lives... including diet... for reasons pertaining both to health and MENTAL well being...
The 1st thing that I notice about (the common) meat eaters is their ignorance to empathy...
example:
Every time someone finds out that I am vegan... their 1st comment is something to the effect of "mmMMmmmm.. I love meat, I like to eat things that have children"...
and they try to get a rise out of me... but I wont say anything in response to them...
I feel as though ppl forget or overlook simple facts about being alive on earth...
#3: Tradition = something that is given to you... it's not a choice that you make...
So... sorry if I was a little preachy... but WTF... it's 3am and I am wired, buzzed, and ready to debate...

http://www.westonaprice.org/myths_truths/myths_truths_vegetarianism.html

Our ancestors evolved with meat as part of their diet, we NEED meat, well we don't need meat we need it's fat and with a vegetarian diet it's extremely hard to get enough fat. Fat is very important to our diet, especially saturated fat found in meat and milk. But scientists have labeled saturated fat as being bad for us because of some old 1950's theory on it (theories aren’t necessarily true). The food industry jumped on this theory so they could make “healthy food’ and ever since then the food industry has had a major role in shaping our eating habits. Americans now consume mostly polyunsaturated fats (vegetable oils) in their diets and heart disease and cancer is higher then it ever has been. Back in the early 1900’s cancer and heart disease was very rare, nowadays just about everyone has a good chance of developing one or the other. Avoiding processed foods and eating naturally the way our ancestors did is the healthiest way to go. Hell do you think back then we had people this fat?

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 03:37:17

With the exception of butter, no other food has been subjected to such intense demonization in recent years as red meat, particularly beef. The juicy hamburger, that delicious marbled steak and the Sunday roast have been accused of terrible crimes. Beef causes heart disease, say the Diet Dictocrats. Beef causes cancer, particularly colon cancer, beef causes osteoporosis, beef causes autoimmune diseases like asthma, beef harbors E. coli leading to food-borne illness, beef causes Creutzfeldt Jakob disease.
Recently a vegetarian group called People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals placed billboard ads warning men not to eat beef because it causes impotence! Red meat is an acid-forming food, say the vegetarians, which putrefies in the gut because humans can’t digest meat. Beef production destroys the environment, according to the zealots, and takes away land that could be dedicated to grain for starving millions. Let’s examine these accusations one at a time.
Does beef cause heart disease?
First is the notion that beef causes heart disease. This actually dates back to the 1950’s when the lipid hypothesis was &taking hold on the American consciousness. At that time, scientists were grappling with a new threat to public health—a steep rise in heart disease, especially myocardial infarction (MI)—a massive blood clot leading to obstruction of a coronary artery and consequent death to the heart muscle. MI was almost nonexistent in 1910 and caused no more than three thousand deaths per year in 1930. By 1960, there were at least 500,000 MI deaths per year in the US.
Many scientists believed that the culprit was cholesterol and saturated fats found in animal foods like butter, eggs and beef. They reasoned that saturated fat and cholesterol raised the level of cholesterol in the blood which in turned caused the deposition of cholesterol as plaques in the arteries, leading to obstructions and heart disease. This, in a nutshell, is the lipid hypothesis.1
This theory was tested in 1957 when Dr. Norman Jolliffe, Director of the Nutrition Bureau of the New York Health Department, initiated the Anti-Coronary Club. With great media fanfare, a group of businessmen, ranging in age from 40 to 59 years, were placed on the so-called Prudent Diet. Prudent Dieters used corn oil and margarine instead of butter, cold breakfast cereals instead of eggs and chicken and fish instead of beef. Anti-Coronary Club members were to be compared with a “matched” group of the same age who ate eggs for breakfast and had meat three times a day. Jolliffe, an overweight diabetic confined to a wheel chair, was confident that the Prudent Diet would save lives, including his own.
The results of Dr. Jolliffe’s Anti-Coronary Club experiment were published in 1966 in the Journal of the American Medical Association.2Those on the Prudent Diet of corn oil, margarine, fish, chicken and cold cereal had an average serum cholesterol of 220, compared to 250 in the meat-and-potatoes control group. However, the study authors were obliged to note that there were eight deaths from heart disease among Dr. Jolliffe’s Prudent Diet group, and none among those who ate meat three times a day. Dr. Jolliffe was dead by this time. He succumbed in 1961 from a vascular thrombosis, although the obituaries listed the cause of death as complications from diabetes.
The truth is that in spite of all the propaganda you have heard, the lipid hypothesis has never been proved. In fact, inadequate protein intake leads to loss of myocardial muscle and may, therefore, contribute to coronary heart disease.3
There are many societies where the populace consumes high levels of animal food and saturated fat but remains free of heart disease. Dr. george Mann, who studied the Masai cattle herding peoples in Africa, found no heart disease, even though their diet consisted of meat, blood and rich milk. 4 Butterfat consumption among Masai warriors, who consider vegetable foods as fodder for cattle, can reach one and one half pounds per day. Yet these people do not suffer from heart disease. Mann called the lipid hypothesis “the greatest scam in the history of medicine.” It is a scam that has been used to convince millions of healthy people that they are sick and must take expensive drugs with serious side effects, a falsehood that has persuaded Americans to adopt a bland, tasteless diet simply because their cholesterol has been defined as being too high.
It is true that beef consumption in the United States has gone up during the last eighty years, the period of huge increases in heart disease. Today we consume 79 pounds of beef per person per year versus 54 in 1909, a 46% increase—but poultry consumption has increased a whopping 280%, from 18 pounds per person per year to 70. Consumption of vegetable oils, including those that have been hydrogenated, has increased 437%, from 11 pounds per person per year to 59; while consumption… http://www.westonaprice.org/myths_truths/myths_truths_beef.html

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 03:43:14

Wow, Tom! As a devoted Vegan I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 03:44:06

Anytime someone tries to convince me to have a healthier lifestyle, I point out that George Burns smoked, and lived up to 100, while Linda McCartney was a vegetarian and died of cancer in her 50's. That usually shuts em up. :)

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 03:48:00

<P>Myth: Heart disease in America is caused by consumption of cholesterol and saturated fat from animal products. </P>
<P>Truth: During the period of rapid increase in heart disease (1920-1960), American consumption of animal fats declined but consumption of hydrogenated and industrially processed vegetable fats increased dramatically. (USDA-HNI) </P>
<P>Myth: Saturated fat clogs arteries. </P>
<P>Truth: The fatty acids found in artery clogs are mostly unsaturated (74%) of which 41% are polyunsaturated. (Lancet 1994 344:1195) </P>
<P>Myth: Vegetarianism is healthy. </P>
<P>Truth: The annual all-cause death rate of vegetarian men is slightly more than that of non-vegetarian men (.93% vs .89%); the annual death rate of vegetarian women is significantly more than that of non-vegetarian women (.86% vs .54%) (Am J Clin Nutr 1982 36:873) </P>
<P>Myth: Vitamin B<SUB>12</SUB> can be obtained from certain plant sources such as blue-green algae and soy products. </P>
<P>Truth: Vitamin B<SUB>12</SUB> is not absorbed from plant sources. Modern soy products increase the body’s need for B<SUB>12</SUB>. (Soybeans: Chemistry &amp; Technology Vol 1 1972) </P>
<P>Myth: For good health, serum cholesterol should be less than 180 mg/dl. </P>
<P>Truth: The all-cause death rate is higher in individuals with cholesterol levels lower than 180 mg/dl. (Circulation 1992 86:3:1026-1029) </P>
<P>Myth: Animal fats cause cancer and heart disease. </P>
<P>Truth: Animal fats contain many nutrients that protect against cancer and heart disease; elevated rates of cancer and heart disease are associated with consumption of large amounts of vegetable oils. (Fed Proc July 1978 37:2215) </P>
<P>Myth: Children benefit from a low-fat diet. </P>
<P>Truth: Children on low-fat diets suffer from growth problems, failure to thrive &amp; learning disabilities. (Food Chem News 10/3/94) </P>
<P>Myth: A low-fat diet will make you &quot;feel better . . . and increase your joy of living.&quot; </P>
<P>Truth: Low-fat diets are associated with increased rates of depression, psychological problems, fatigue, violence and suicide. (Lancet 3/21/92 v339) </P>
<P>Myth: To avoid heart disease, we should use margarine instead of butter. </P>
<P>Truth: Margarine eaters have twice the rate of heart disease as butter eaters. (Nutrition Week 3/22/91 21:12) </P>
<P>Myth: Americans do not consume enough essential fatty acids. </P>
<P>Truth: Americans consume far too much of one kind of EFA (omega-6 EFAs found in most polyunsaturated vegetable oils) but not enough of another kind of EFA (omega-3 EFAs found in fish, fish oils, eggs from properly fed chickens, dark green vegetables and herbs, and oils from certain seeds such as flax and chia, nuts such as walnuts and in small amounts in all whole grains.) (Am J Clin Nutr 1991 54:438-63) </P>
<P>Myth: A vegetarian diet will protect you against atherosclerosis. </P>
<P>Truth: The International Atherosclerosis Project found that vegetarians had just as much atherosclerosis as meat eaters. (Lab Invest 1968 18:498) </P>
<P>Myth: Low-fat diets prevent breast cancer. </P>
<P>Truth: A recent study found that women on very low-fat diets (less than 20%) had the same rate of breast cancer as women who consumed large amounts of fat. (NEJM 2/8/96) </P>
<P>Myth: The &quot;cave man diet&quot; was low in fat. </P>
<P>Truth: Throughout the world, primitive peoples sought out and consumed fat from fish and shellfish, water fowl, sea mammals, land birds, insects, reptiles, rodents, bears, dogs, pigs, cattle, sheep, goats, game, eggs, nuts and milk products. (Abrams, Food &amp; Evolution 1987) </P>
<P>Myth: Coconut oil causes heart disease. </P>
<P>Truth: When coconut oil was fed as 7% of energy to patients recovering from heart attacks, the patients had greater improvement compared to untreated controls, and no difference compared to patents treated with corn or safflower oils. Populations that consume coconut oil have low rates of heart disease. Coconut oil may also be one of the most useful oils to prevent heart disease because of its antiviral and antimicrobial characteristics. (JAMA 1967 202:1119-1123; Am J Clin Nutr 1981 34:1552) </P>
<P>Myth: Saturated fats inhibit production of anti-inflammatory prostaglandins. </P>
<P>Truth: Saturated fats actually improve the production of all prostaglandins by facilitating the conversion of essential fatty acids. (Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation Journal 20:3) </P>
<P>Myth: Arachidonic acid in foods like liver, butter and egg yolks causes production of "bad" inflammatory prostaglandins. </P>
<P>Truth: Series 2 prostaglandins that the body makes from arachidonic acid both encourage and inhibit inflammation under appropriate circumstances. Arachidonic acid is vital for the function of the brain and nervous system. (Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation Journal 20:3) </P>
<P>Myth: Beef causes colon cancer </P>
<P>Truth: Argentina, with higher beef consumption, has lower rates of colon cancer than the US. Mormons have lower rates of colon cancer than vegetarian Seventh Day Adventists (Cancer Res 35:3513 1975) </P>
http://www.westonaprice.org/myths_truths/myths_truths_nutrition.html

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 04:08:11

At 3/19/02 03:44 AM, Tequila wrote: Anytime someone tries to convince me to have a healthier lifestyle, I point out that George Burns smoked, and lived up to 100, while Linda McCartney was a vegetarian and died of cancer in her 50's. That usually shuts em up. :)

There is a huge difference between smoking cigars, as George Burns did, and smoking cigarettes, which George Burns did not smoke. Cigars traditionally aren't inhaled into the lungs like cigarettes are. If you do inhale a entire Phillies Blunt you are a moron.

New studies have found that a shot of whiskey per day may actually have more health benifitial properties then previously thought. It cleans the kidneys, liver, and also CAN aides the imune system. However too much whiskey will kill you and cause you to live a miserable life.

So you see George Burns' longevity is not that far fetched. Sure smoking on a cigar may lead to mouth and throat cancer but it does not cause nearly a tenth of the damage cigarettes cause to the human body. His daily shot of whiskey did not really cause that much damage to his body. George Burns was a very slim man, if he was a full-blown two 5ths a day man, Mr. Burns would have never kept his slim profile. The George Burns acroym really doesn't hold water anymore.

So, what is the point of my post? Don't smoke cigarettes or shoot smack. Speaking from experience, indeed./

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 04:10:22

TRUTH -- and I think everyone can agree to this!

NO ONE knows what is good or bad for us. a study comes out and then another comes out to disprove it. most studies are invalid and tainted in some way (good example being how Cambels soup "sponsored" a study to show how salt is good for you) ANYWAY...we dont know what is good or bad for us, we dont know the KEY to a LONG life, there are just too many factors. All of the "facts" that everyone is reporting are just as contaminated and biased as the facts everyone else is supporting to contradict them.

I am a vegetarian, I have been so for about 8 years now by choice. I live being vegetarian, it started out for animal rights reasons, then went over to health reasons because of my families heart disease history. Now, I can picture myself eating an animal. Anyway, I dont push my diet on anyone, but you have to see that the "facts" you report are ALWAYS influenced, there may be a few "pure, unbaised" studies out there, but you wont know what they are because there is so much garbage work being done.

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 04:16:44

At 3/19/02 04:10 AM, nocoins3 wrote: TRUTH -- and I think everyone can agree to this!

NO ONE knows what is good or bad for us. a study comes out and then another comes out to disprove it. most studies are invalid and tainted in some way (good example being how Cambels soup "sponsored" a study to show how salt is good for you) ANYWAY...we dont know what is good or bad for us, we dont know the KEY to a LONG life, there are just too many factors. All of the "facts" that everyone is reporting are just as contaminated and biased as the facts everyone else is supporting to contradict them.

I am a vegetarian, I have been so for about 8 years now by choice. I live being vegetarian, it started out for animal rights reasons, then went over to health reasons because of my families heart disease history. Now, I can picture myself eating an animal. Anyway, I dont push my diet on anyone, but you have to see that the "facts" you report are ALWAYS influenced, there may be a few "pure, unbaised" studies out there, but you wont know what they are because there is so much garbage work being done.

damn, I hate when I do this

I meant to say i LOVE being vegetarian not "live"...but then again

and i also meant that i CANT see myself eating an animal instead of CAN...now that was a BIG mistake...oopsie

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 04:19:34

Ahh the lady in the picture isn't fat, thats all muscles! hehe

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 06:21:22

At 3/19/02 03:03 AM, mattymetro wrote: Hmm.. I am the 1337 vegan of the BBS... thats right, tre... kiss it...
example:

Sounds like you need a burger

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 06:40:01

At 3/19/02 02:14 AM, TomFulp wrote: Edmund and I were discussing things we would like to do that would probably piss off our hardcore fans who have specific expectations of us. Among other things, I said that I want to promote healthy eating.

It's all good Tom!!! Do what you feel is right for you!!!

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 06:40:51

I think its probobly written by some vegan chick who, kinda has to make up some bull shit to make peple conform to her ideals.

Now im not saying i eat a heard of cows everyday, but i know the importants of meat in the human diet, and its importants for strenghaning muscles and helping us youngsters grow.

Sure we could take vitamin tablets but i read recently the shit they put in there could give you cancer.

In a world where 1 minuet somethings healthy the next minuet it gives you cancer, i just try to eat a healthy diet that isnt to much of anything, but fills me up. I refuse to live off rabit food and drink spiecal milk shakes that take like someone has put a tuma in a blender.

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 07:05:45

Now I don't mind Vegitarians. Thats their choice to not eat meat and what have you. My beef, yes pun intended, with Vegitarians are the ones that say stuff along the lines of "Oh I don't meat because it used to be a living being." Well, wake up!! Plants and vegetables are living as well! Just because they can't express pain don't mean they don't feel it. How do we know or not if when you pull a plant out of the ground ripping its roots from the ground destroying its live line, how do we know the plants don't feel the pain. The only reason those types of Vegitarians use that excuse is cause no one goes around saying "Awh, look at the cute little plant, lets not eat it cause its so cute." So to you Vegitarians out there that just choose not to eat meat because you don't want to, more power to you. But to the Vegitarians that are ONLY Vegitarian because they don't want to eat another thing that used to be living. You can go to hell with Hitler (wasn't he a Vegitarian?)

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 08:33:22

Tom, although you are capable of maturing, I don't know if newgrounds fans are.

BBS Signature

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 08:38:31

Tom, what the hell is the Tromaville Prize-o-Matic Test
? I saw it 2 times on the top of the front page so far.

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 09:03:55

At 3/19/02 08:38 AM, SHIZNIC wrote: Tom, what the hell is the Tromaville Prize-o-Matic Test
? I saw it 2 times on the top of the front page so far.

did you see this one too?

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 09:12:25

At 3/19/02 02:20 AM, lm_mario wrote: Hey Tom,

I like the idea of eating healthy but I woudl be careful wer eyoug et your info from. There are alot of special interest gorups that publish reports to support their cause. Soo your book may be publish and funded by people like PETA (i hope i did their name correclty). Anywho I will tlak to you later. btw thanx for replying to my emails. You don't know how cool it is for a head at a site to return emails. 8)

Think about what you are saying though. How does PETA stand to profit from people not eating meat? Does PETA have money invested in the "vegetable industry"? The only people who are scared are the meat and milk industry, who are the ones who spread false information. Anyone who says "and avoid the newfangled vegetable-oil-based foods that were flooding the grocers’ shelves" sounds like the more biased source to me.

-Tom

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 09:25:25

All I know is one summer I was grilling any kind of meat I could. I was eating steaks, pork ribs, pork meat, sausage, burgers, bacon, tons of chicken wings. I mean, I was taking in more grease and fat than ever. I also was excercising some, riding my bicycle. I had to get a blood test for something and when my doctor looked at it my cholestoral was low (like around 180) and I had hardly any fats in my blood. My doctor said "Man! I wish I had your fat levels in my blood!"
So I think everyone's body is different and it has to do more with your genes than what you eat, and excercise is probably more important than anything else you do. A new study shows it's worse to be a non-smoker and sit on your ass all day than to smoke and excercise regularly. So I'm not going to go out and change my diet. In fact most Vegans I know are sick all the time and look like shit and a lot of times are regular drug users, so their opinion doens't mean much to me.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 09:31:14

At 3/19/02 09:25 AM, WadeFulp wrote: All I know is one summer I was grilling any kind of meat I could. I was eating steaks, pork ribs, pork meat, sausage, burgers, bacon, tons of chicken wings. I mean, I was taking in more grease and fat than ever. I also was excercising some, riding my bicycle. I had to get a blood test for something and when my doctor looked at it my cholestoral was low (like around 180) and I had hardly any fats in my blood. My doctor said "Man! I wish I had your fat levels in my blood!"
So I think everyone's body is different and it has to do more with your genes than what you eat, and excercise is probably more important than anything else you do. A new study shows it's worse to be a non-smoker and sit on your ass all day than to smoke and excercise regularly. So I'm not going to go out and change my diet. In fact most Vegans I know are sick all the time and look like shit and a lot of times are regular drug users, so their opinion doens't mean much to me.

I can eat all day and not gain a pound =)

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 11:15:38

I agree with Wade on this one.

I have always eaten meat and always will, the reason?

It taste good, it may sound stupid but that is all that matters to me, I smoke, don't eat anything without meat in it, never exercise, etc... I look healthy, so I am just going to enjoy life, and I enjoy eating meat.

I think it really just comes down to perference...

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 11:37:42

is it me or does Tom look something like the guy on the back of my 5 pound note?!

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 11:55:35

Toms on my 5 pound note!

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 13:14:23

"Think about what you are saying though. How does PETA stand to profit from people not eating meat? Does PETA have money invested in the "vegetable industry"? The only people who are scared are the meat and milk industry, who are the ones who spread false information. Anyone who says "and avoid the newfangled vegetable-oil-based foods that were flooding the grocers’ shelves" sounds like the more biased source to me."

Sorry, Tom. For once, I'm going to have to disagree with you. I doubt that people who actively promote healthier lifestyles aren't in it for the money themselves. Whatever Dude nailed it on the head with their Richard Simmons article(http://whatever-dude.com/posts/231.shtml ). I mean I come from L.A., a city of healthy life-styles that is responsible for all the blonde-haired, blue-eyed toothpicks running around who STILL aren't satisfied with their fucking weight!

And recently, not one, but TWO of my neighborhood Ralph's got torn down for a small health food chain. Now that would normally be ok, if they actually had the groceries I needed. But they don't, and they jack up the prices on the groceries I don't need, so it'll attract some stupid yuppie SUV drivers who make it difficult for the rest of us middle to lower-class non-SUV drivers to find aspot. Yes, we're a city obsessed with health food and gyms to the point that conveniences like larger parking spaces and better transportation are ignored. Anyway, maybe I'm just referring to an extreme scenario, but I really don't feel people who suppport PETA are anymore altruistic than people in the NRA.

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 13:21:02

OK.. in response to frank:
Your argument is another typical response to the whole argument... I am not a plant.. I wouldnt know... I have a nerve system that is the same as an animals... so I can relate, understand, and empathize with that...

I think that a lot of ppl are raised BLIND to facts about life...

Most ppl go to church not from beliving, but from it being a tradition... from what I have learned.. tradition can kiss my A55... because in every instance it leads to ignorance and blindness...
Also... I notice that a lot of ppl (talking about eating meat just because they dont care or it feels good or tastes good) Are just tourists of life.. they go through their lives just going with the flow.. and that is lame... and sucks A55...

The Food Revolution

Response to The Food Revolution 2002-03-19 13:48:32

At 3/19/02 01:21 PM, mattymetro wrote: I think that a lot of ppl are raised BLIND to facts about life...

We all know you like your meat and protien shakes Matty!

The Food Revolution