00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Under Judgment Voting

24,767 Views | 238 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:41:39

I use a mac, and the bar didn't appera even after 2 minutes of waiting on a 1 KB movie. It never shows up anymore for me. WAHHH! NO MORE BLAM/SAVE POINTS! *cries*

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:42:25

Have you thought about hiding the author's name so at least people will watch the flash for long enough to get an indication?

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:43:42

^^ Greatest Idea ever,
but what about stolen movies?

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:44:09

This has probobly got the best solution for the blamming problem. Great idea.

But ....

I can see someone with a slow internet have an error and the bar would not appear at all, or would take a long time to appear.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:46:19

I have a fast internet and it doesn't appear. (But I am using a mac, if that makes any difference.)

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:47:25

At 3/23/05 04:36 PM, FatherVenom wrote: I apologize for it coming across as such. If you care to remember, I will never mock you without making it blatantly obvious, not that I see that ever being a problem in the future.

It's okay, it can be hard to read people's emotions or expressions over the web.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:48:17

At 3/23/05 03:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have decided to experiment with a timer on the vote bar for users who watch entries that are "Under Judgment."...

I think this is an excellent idea. A great way to help good movies be protected and shitty movies be blammed.

In layman's terms, get more accurate votes.

I'm too damn lazy to make a decent sig right now.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:50:03

What about my problem?

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:51:12

Well, I think j00bie certainly showed NG here... good implementation though, Wade. All the under judgement movies i've seen today have been under 100k or so, so I haven't had a chance to see it working, but I'm sure it'll really help clear out all those buggers who vote on batting average and authorage.

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 16:58:30

At 3/23/05 04:43 PM, Glaiel_Gamer wrote: ^^ Greatest Idea ever,
but what about stolen movies?

True that would be one problem. But the name would appear after judgement so people could then see who made it and maybe keep the flagging option until it's off the Most Recent Top 50

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:02:24

Wow, I was actually thinking of suggesting something like that a while ago, but never got around to it. I am actually really sick of crap movies getting top spots just because the preloader looks really snappy, or good movies getting crap scores because 80% of people who vote for under judgement movies only watch the first few seconds. Best new addition to Newgrounds yet, in my opinion.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:05:12

This is something I've been talking about in Newgrounds Evolution topic, now some 'fair' voting can come into play. Thanks Wade.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:13:14

Yes, another step towards equalizing the portal. I hate it when I look at something, its crud, and then it passes, because a person sees who the author is. I sure hope that this is only the first step, I do not know what others steps should be taken, but I am sure there are some. I do have to say that the majority of flashes being submitted are improving. Except for the ones that are meant to be crap, or the ones submitted by people who do not understand that sound is very important, especially when you have bad graphics.
Let us rejoice over this wonderful occasion. A toast, to those who are making the portal more fair, as well as to all the inspiring animators out there.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:13:42

Its a good very good idea. Good job Wade.

XBL GT: SleepyB 408

I Xbox 360 Club I MLB Club I

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:14:08

Very Great Stuff^^ *newground rulez*

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:16:00

At 3/23/05 03:19 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have decided to experiment with a timer on the vote bar for users who watch entries that are "Under Judgment." Basically it delays the vote bar from appearing for a certain amount of time based on the size of the entry. So a 5MB entry would result in the vote bar being hidden for about 50 seconds. If the entry is 10k, the vote bar will appear almost instantly after the movie/game window is launched. We may play around and adjust the length of time the vote bar is delayed.

We award BLAM and SAVE points as a reward for taking the time to wade (har har) through all the new entries that flood into the Flash Portal on a daily basis. We want people to take their time and vote fairly.

Thats a good idea. keep people from being a holes and blaming the possible next best thing.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:20:18

my problem?

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:21:28

At 3/23/05 04:50 PM, Glaiel_Gamer wrote: What about my problem?

If you read a little, you will see that Liljim is well aware of the problem already, and is trying to find a way to fix it. :)

Patience, young grasshoppah.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:23:33

Maybe you should have the author's name and information hidden while the movie/game is under judgement so people can't see who it is and won't vote because of the person who submitted it.

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:24:18

Maus, since you're also a Mac user and may have been experiencing the same problem, try now and see how you get on.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:25:16

At 3/23/05 05:23 PM, That-Is-Bull wrote: Maybe you should have the author's name and information hidden while the movie/game is under judgement so people can't see who it is and won't vote because of the person who submitted it.

This hasn't been suggested once, replied to, then suggested again a few times since in this thread alone....

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:30:55

At 3/23/05 05:25 PM, liljim wrote: This hasn't been suggested once, replied to, then suggested again a few times since in this thread alone....

Sorry, I'm lazy as hell.

BBS Signature

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:32:09

Hmm..I had an idea, but I am not quite sure you can even do this:
Is there a way, possibly, that the timer would start after the movie is loaded? Like say there is a large submission, but people see like a name that they hate, even though the movie might be good. They could possibly vote 0 on it before the movie is loaded, especially with slow connections, even with a 50 second wait. So if it could be done, this timer starts AFTER the movie is fully loaded, not just after you click "watch this movie". I'm not really sure if there is a way to do this, but just an idea.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:32:51

I'd test it now, but nothing is under judgement.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:33:14

Denvish claimed that Firewalls and Pop-up blockers can effect it from loading. <>
Could that be a bad thing for my Kerio? I'm going to try voting in IE.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:33:29

wade, how about if you and Tom reward the users who watch teh actual flash for the minutes or whatever and give thema couple of extra points for not being a total dickhead?.

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:34:21

At 3/23/05 05:32 PM, Sir_Snark wrote: Hmm..I had an idea, but I am not quite sure you can even do this:
Is there a way, possibly, that the timer would start after the movie is loaded? Like say there is a large submission, but people see like a name that they hate, even though the movie might be good. They could possibly vote 0 on it before the movie is loaded, especially with slow connections, even with a 50 second wait. So if it could be done, this timer starts AFTER the movie is fully loaded, not just after you click "watch this movie". I'm not really sure if there is a way to do this, but just an idea.

That's the way things used to work in the past, but there are complications with that now (and there were when we actually had it running, too).

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:37:22

At 3/23/05 05:33 PM, unowned wrote: Denvish claimed that Firewalls and Pop-up blockers can effect it from loading. <>
Could that be a bad thing for my Kerio? I'm going to try voting in IE.

I believe that that was due to the way in which it used to work in the past (see my last post to this thread). It's funny, I've been reading through the Evolutions thread, but seem to have read past all of that stuff. The timer thing has been on my mind since we changed from the old system (where the panel would load on completion of the animation loading up) to swapping to the newer way, then going on to the newer newer way (most recent).

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:37:34

At 3/23/05 04:26 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 3/23/05 04:24 PM, JustLikeFrank wrote: Isnt there a way you can use sessions so that when the movie window is opened a session var is set with the current time, then on the vote page it compares the time the var was set to the current time. That could be used for when people deposit as well, to see if people just vote on 5 movies quickly to get the experience
I believe this is only possible if both windows are coming from the same domain. However, since the content window is coming from a different domain (the .swf file is on another domain), variables like this can't be shared.

Here's how I would go about doing something similar... but I've hardly worked with Flash at all, so I could be dead wrong on a couple integral parts.

First, the "Watch this movie" or "watch this game" part would have to be changed to a Flash movie loaded from uploads.ungrounded.net; when clicked, this movie would connect to UUN through XML sockets and pass the current time along with username and password, etc. loaded by Javascript as shown in this page, but actually pulling the data from cookies by Javascript (tutorials all over the web for that).

UUN will return a time to the XML sockets, and that movie will use a SharedObject to store the time to store how long until voting will be allowed (this would have to be an ID unique to the movie, i.e. based on the movie's ID).

While all this is going on, the flash movie for the voting panel (also loaded from uploads.ungrounded.net) will constantly be looking for the SharedObject, and when it finds that it exists, it will decrement the time until the time hits 0 (or whatever method is convenient); when it's time to allow voting, the SharedObject is deleted.

When the user finally votes, the same variables that were loaded into the first flash movie are again passed to UUN but with an updated time, which is verified against sessions or a table in a database.

AFAIK, the only other change required would be to move the voting database/mechanisms to UUN, or to allow UUN to access a certain table on newgrounds.com.

Just for the sake of argument, did anyone catch if there were any glaring errors in my logic here?

Response to Under Judgment Voting 2005-03-23 17:38:29

i'm on mac and it works for me