00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cash for your Flash

32,279 Views | 325 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 00:28:57

Glad to see my idea has been so well received.
I'm really interested in seeing how this whole thing pans out.

Also, if the whole system is setup for flash artists but not professional animators/corporate studios, who determines what qualifies as a regular artist and a pro studio? That'll create a whole new level of bitching and moaning.

There's one week left to set some rules down. What's it gonna be?

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 00:34:24

I am the sole owner of the company, so I can either pay the money to myself, or to other people. It's basically my money when it comes down to it.

I guess that means Wades just your little bitch. I thought you were equal on this site, but no, you're a selfish assole arn't you. i bet you act like a big hot-shot now too, then you think back to a kid and realize the person that started Newgrounds would probably kick your ass. this is more business to you than anything else. Poor Wade, help a brother out you're heartless

Maybe its time you get drunk and remenice, then you can change your business man asshole self

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 00:34:50

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot something.

For all of you people that think $250/month will make people start doing this as a job or any sort of means of income, you obviously know nothing about life after school. $250 is nothing compared to what is needed to pay rent, buy food, etc. It's enough for a prize, which is just what it's for. Nobody is gonna quit their day jobs to animate all day for a CHANCE to win $250.

If anybody is really going to dedicate all their time just because there's a monetary incentive, I feel sorry for you. You probably still ive with your parents and don't have to pay for rent, tuition, food, and every bill that comes with daily life.

$250 will help stimulate artists, but it shouldn't be the sole reason to do it.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 05:44:50

At 2/18/05 07:15 PM, Vinstigator wrote: Hell yeah, perfect timing. I got a flash I've been working on for months and it's almost done. And since my last movie made front page (thanks again Tom!), I think I got a pretty good shot at this :D

um, why do you think you'll get something? you use other people's music and sprites and then combine them in a bad way. i think what tom meant was if you make something like fallen angel or arogancy then you get it. that's where all the talent is put

i guess i could try improving my drawing skills (or what i have of it) and enter but i'm only 15 so i can't get anything :(
then again my brother's 18 soon and he can draw better than the guy who made fallen angel so he'd have a shot maybe?

the flash on this account isn't mine

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 08:16:03

Well all I can say now is that it sucks to be 17 =P.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 10:24:54

Hey Tom! I went down to EB Games yesterday and I asked the guy at the counter how Alien Hominid was selling there. He said that every time they recieved a copy it got sold on the same day! I'm glad a preordered mine!

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 15:38:12

Hey, Tom have payment via PalPal

P.S you need to update your alien homind ad, it still reads "Comming soon to a console near you" Its out already.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 16:21:35

should atleast have a choice between paypal and check

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 16:46:37

At 2/20/05 05:01 PM, morethanheroes wrote:

2. Set up a $250 USD credit at the NG store. I know I, aswell as alot of people would love to receive that just as much as cold hard cash.

I think that is a *really* smart idea.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 17:20:23

At 2/19/05 03:11 PM, Tom_s00 wrote: Tom what will happen if somebody steals a submission and by chance it wins, but this is only made apparent after the money has been given to the winner....

If the author accepts the money and then we find it was stolen we could probably get him/her arrested for plagirism (we might be able to do with any stolen work but we should only do it in you're scenario since money's involved).

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 18:51:11

At 2/21/05 08:16 AM, Rubber_Ninja wrote: Well all I can say now is that it sucks to be 17 =P.

I agree.

Blah Blah Blah..

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 19:02:25

As long as the date of the entry is within Feb. we're good right? No crazy rules?

Pods 2010

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 21:42:04

coolness, but will people be able to win more than once, maybe taking away the opportunity for others to win?

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 21:45:02

At 2/18/05 06:43 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I have had a lot of trepedation about this idea. Once money is involved, things change. Artists will start to "do it for the money" and will be resentful when they don't win. If we start to pick up on that, we will eliminate the prizes.

that's gonna/gotta happen

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 22:20:51

The bills must be expensive 4 so many users. This may bring popularity to the site or my bring greed

And just like that....he was gone...

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-21 22:49:02

That sounds cool and sweet. Hahaha i like the icon now . . . tis da shit. You are too geneorous Tom, but I'm sure this will inspire some great work. . .hey the money might enthuse some.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-22 03:44:27

I was wondering, would the people that win get to have a special award in theri profile/ on their flash, or would they just get to be in a special collection on the site? Either way, that would be nice.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-22 10:14:16

wtf y did the font change all of a sudden?

And just like that....he was gone...

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-22 14:34:52

Bad move if you ask me... It'll turn loads of people into money hungry artists etc and will create a load of conflict and stuff... and judging on how many friends you've got to vote for you too.... Well... at least you can try it ;)

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-22 20:10:43

well this is a good and bad i dea meaning its a double bladed edge. Its good in the fact that it will push people to make better flash but for what reasons....and it will mean people getting more competitive which means people will hate the people who are in the top 50 all the time(e.g. legendary frog).And thats just one of the bad points people as you have said ' do it for the money' and thats not what newgrounds is all about and i like that. Maybe rules and guidelines will really come in handy for this situation
-skip

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-23 00:12:58

What if somebody under the age of 18, say someone who's like 15, made a totally frickin' awesome Flash animation? Would like not give a damn about that animation or would you be like "you would have got the 250$ if you were three years older....to bad for you boy". Either way, that part sucks but I understand its mostly about ligall issues and stuff...

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-23 00:42:30

I have an idea to prevent stolen flashes. Anyone can steal an .swf, but to edit a flash you must have the .fla, you could require the artist to submit the .fla or have specific guidlines. Like it must have their name in the movie...

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-23 00:49:02

Sorry if I repeated another post, I dont have time to read all 12 pages...

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-23 16:07:58

"Now, with the whole legal issue a cheque can be issued to a minor. A cheque CAN NOT be issued to a minor within law if it is based off a contest. The was to avoid this? it's not a contest. Now say if you were selecting 5 flashes from the portal (not judged by quality etc) at random - then issuing said cheque would indeed be illegal. But the fact remains that this is not necessarily a contest. This is parying someone for quality work within a pool of submissions.

A perfect example of this is when I do designs/webdesigns/screen printing for a band. Usually it starts off as the band asking, say 20 people to make a design/whatever. Say they postes it on a forum, "<insert band name here> is looking for some new merch. We are currently looking for designers and designs. Anyone interested please submit to thisisnotarealemail@fake.com". They then go about selecting the top designs and those who are selected will receive the money and recognition. Of course sometimes I am directly asked... but this is still a popular choice to get a little variety within the designs.

This is basically the case with this "cash for flash" idea. You (aswell as the independant voting team/authors in the pool selected/ however this is decided to be chosen) are looking through multiple submissions ans selecting the top five (just as if a band were selecting the top designs) and issuing them the money and regonition for having the highest quality/best work.

Hey, and if not... some other suggestions would be...

1. Make the "minor prize" product. Whether it be signed Wall prints, AH figures, T-shirts, you name it. Giving product toa minor has absolutly no legal issues (unless of course its... a dildo.... or a mysterious envolope titled "nakey tommy tom")

2. Set up a $250 USD credit at the NG store. I know I, aswell as alot of people would love to receive that just as much as cold hard cash.

etc. etc. etc.

Either way - that's just my two cents. I know you'll figure something out and like I've said before; I'm stoked to see how this runs through.

much love,
-AlAdsit
xoxo"

There are some really solid ideas in there.

I think you should take a look at that for sure, Tom.

Take a look at the original post on page 11.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-24 18:54:41

I think its a great idea. I've got alot of respect for the way that the money you make is given back to the people that have made this website possible.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-27 19:23:47

At 2/18/05 06:53 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, arab_alt wrote: Is it just $250? I was hoping it would be more...
Flash by arab_alt:
- none -

I don't think it really matters for you. :)

that was kinda mean dude