00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 20:47:26

Hey boys and girls, check this out! I wrote a little JavaScript snippet that makes moving through the Portal easier, and stuffed it into a bookmark. To use this little gem, follow the instructions here: http://www.jfsoftware.com/ng/ngportal.html

To use this little doohickey, go into the Portal and select the last Under Judgement movie. Click the NG Portal Advance button/bookmark you created, and you'll be moved to the next movie. Odds are that movie won't exist yet, and you'll get a "Portal Error". Have no fear, though; if you click NG Portal Advance again, it'll simply reload the page until a movie appears. Watch the movie, click your vote, and click the Back button to return to the movie's page. Then click NG Portal Advance again, and it'll move on to the next movie!

Spiffy, huh? Trust me, this can make UJ voting soooo much faster. Just remember to hit the Back button on your browser after voting before you use the NG Portal Advance. Also, I've written the JavaScript so that it only runs on a Portal page, so if you accidentally click it on another page, it won't do anything. If you have any questions, post them here!

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 20:55:02

At 2/7/05 08:47 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: Hey boys and girls, check this out! I wrote a little JavaScript snippet that makes moving through the Portal easier, and stuffed it into a bookmark. To use this little gem, follow the instructions here: http://www.jfsoftware.com/ng/ngportal.html

Erm... SK, I made a VB program that did this (BP Helper) and liljim wasn't happy with its original incarnation, primarily for the fact that pulling the non-existent movie page means a database access - not much if only one user is doing it, but with a lot of people using the program....

I haven't actually checked out your program yet, I'll download it in a minute, but just consider this a heads-up that the admin may not be happy about its existence/distribution

Sorry to drop a bummer on the idea...

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 20:58:03

That's a sweet little tool Josh, I've just tried it out, and it should really benefit NG users, especially those who use Internet Explorer and have no tabbed browsing. The best thing is, there's no installation or zip files or any of that bother.

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 20:58:37

i created a program in which you can beat the internet, who wants to download? lol

Every once in very great while comes a ridiculously funny thread. So funny in fact i must put it into my sig http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1049194/1

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 21:01:17

At 2/7/05 08:55 PM, Denvish wrote: Erm... SK, I made a VB program that did this (BP Helper) and liljim wasn't happy with its original incarnation, primarily for the fact that pulling the non-existent movie page means a database access - not much if only one user is doing it, but with a lot of people using the program....

Don't worry, it's nothing like that. Nothing automatic at all. It only loads the page when you move the mouse over and click the button. It's as harmless as the refresh button, it just handles some of the URL madness for you.

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 21:04:58

At 2/7/05 09:01 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: Don't worry, it's nothing like that. Nothing automatic at all. It only loads the page when you move the mouse over and click the button. It's as harmless as the refresh button, it just handles some of the URL madness for you.

K. I cannot deny that it's a sweet little snippet of code =)

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 21:06:10

At 2/7/05 09:04 PM, Denvish wrote: K. I cannot deny that it's a sweet little snippet of code =)

SK <3 Javascript. I tried to make it go back a page if it sees that you've on the "thanks for voting" page, but it wouldn't go. Maybe I'll try again sometime soon.

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 21:15:46

Haha, I remember you telling me able that little technique gfoxcook told you about on AIM once. Nice to see you made it into a program. But does it go to the most recent flash overnight or something? Explain that part, as in if YOU are inactive for a night does it just automatically go to the most recent flash the next time you get on?

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 21:22:17

At 2/7/05 09:15 PM, Sailor-Moon wrote: Explain that part, as in if YOU are inactive for a night does it just automatically go to the most recent flash the next time you get on?

It's very simple, you open a submission page with the 'view/217871' thing as the url, and the code simply goes to the next submission in line. So you could just delete the '1' in your address bar and replace it with a 2, but this is much easier :)

So before it works, you need to be in a submission page.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 21:27:50

At 2/7/05 09:22 PM, Eldarion wrote:
At 2/7/05 09:15 PM, Sailor-Moon wrote: Explain that part, as in if YOU are inactive for a night does it just automatically go to the most recent flash the next time you get on?

Nope. It's like a refresh button on steroids. It won't do anything until you click, and it only loads a single page.

It's very simple, you open a submission page with the 'view/217871' thing as the url, and the code simply goes to the next submission in line. So you could just delete the '1' in your address bar and replace it with a 2, but this is much easier :)

So before it works, you need to be in a submission page.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

Simplified, yes. It's also got a couple of failsafes to keep you from skipping empty submissions (so you can just hit "NG Portal Advance" instead of Refresh) and to keep you from using it on other pages (and messing up your URL).

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 21:29:15

At 2/7/05 09:01 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: Don't worry, it's nothing like that. Nothing automatic at all. It only loads the page when you move the mouse over and click the button. It's as harmless as the refresh button, it just handles some of the URL madness for you.

Well I'm gald to hear that. Don't want feathers to be ruffeled after the way things happened last time. Does it work with all browsers?

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 21:34:35

At 2/7/05 09:29 PM, ramagi wrote: Well I'm gald to hear that. Don't want feathers to be ruffeled after the way things happened last time. Does it work with all browsers?

I know it works with Internet Explorer and Firefox. I don't foresee it having any problems with the other browsers, although I don't know the exact methods for adding a bookmark/favorite to a toolbar.

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 22:34:44

At 2/7/05 09:34 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: I know it works with Internet Explorer and Firefox. I don't foresee it having any problems with the other browsers, although I don't know the exact methods for adding a bookmark/favorite to a toolbar.

It works perfectly on nestcape :)

haha, your "refresh button on steroids" is amazing. I didn't expect it to be that easy to use :P It's indeed very fast.

Although, before you restart voting submitted movies while pressing that button. You don't know how many underjudgement flashes appeared on the portal so you might miss one if you spend a lot of time watching a long flash like broken saints or something similar.

Good thing that we know that watching 1min 30-2mins of a broken saints flash, decline of video gaming or whatever else that is extremely long is enough to judge it fairly :)

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-07 22:48:49

I've added a new feature to the NG Portal Advance. Now, if you click the NG Portal Advance button when you're on the "thanks for voting" page, you'll be sent back a page. Click the NG Portal Advance again, and off you go! This way you don't have to click Back before using the Advance again.

http://www.jfsoftware.com/ng/ngportal.html

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 12:00:03

Works great SK, thanks.

And now this is why i <3 SK........

"To use this little doohickey"

"Spiffy, huh? Trust me, this can make UJ voting soooo much faster"

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 17:35:08

It dosent work with the browser Opera!! Just thought id let people know!

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 17:51:49

Ok, i've put the link in my Browser Toolbar (Mozilla) and nothing happens once i've clicked :*(

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 17:55:49

I have firefox 1.0 and it does not work for me.... i have the link bookmarked too...

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 18:10:48

At 2/8/05 06:05 PM, deck_head_tottie wrote:
At 2/8/05 05:55 PM, YoinK_VineS wrote: I have firefox 1.0 and it does not work for me.... i have the link bookmarked too...
Me neither :(

I must really suck at the internet.

That's really anoying, it seems like a really usefull tool aswell.

ShittyKitty, make a Mozilla version pweeez ;)

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 18:11:31

You have to be on a Portal movie page (like this one: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/217975) before using the Portal Advance.

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 18:13:03

Oh, and also make sure you've got Javascript enabled. Here's some handy instructions: http://www.buymebuyme.com/retail/help/javascript.html

At 2/8/05 06:10 PM, Massacore wrote: ShittyKitty, make a Mozilla version pweeez ;)

I'm using Firefox right now, and it's working perfectly.....

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 18:21:41

I've done absoloutly everything I should do, and when i click the link absoloutly nothing happens.

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 19:13:46

At 2/8/05 06:21 PM, Massacore wrote: I've done absoloutly everything I should do, and when i click the link absoloutly nothing happens.

Are you clicking on the link, or adding it as a bookmark? You have to add the link as a bookmark before you can use it. The link itself won't do anything.

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 19:15:37

Ah, I've been testing out your little tool today SK and I must say it's pretty useful. I counted the difference in the number of buttons I have to press to b/p and it's saved me one. :D

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 19:21:20

At 2/8/05 07:13 PM, ShittyKitty wrote:
At 2/8/05 06:21 PM, Massacore wrote: I've done absoloutly everything I should do, and when i click the link absoloutly nothing happens.
Are you clicking on the link, or adding it as a bookmark? You have to add the link as a bookmark before you can use it. The link itself won't do anything.

I think i've added it as a bookmark properly. I just right click, then click "Bookmark this link", then after i've voted on a Movie..i click the link in my Bookmarks and nothing happens :/

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-08 20:21:19

At 2/8/05 07:21 PM, Massacore wrote: I think i've added it as a bookmark properly. I just right click, then click "Bookmark this link", then after i've voted on a Movie..i click the link in my Bookmarks and nothing happens :/

What's the URL address of the window you're on when you try to click the Portal Advance?

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 06:08:18

At 2/8/05 08:21 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: What's the URL address of the window you're on when you try to click the Portal Advance?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/vote.php

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 10:05:52

At 2/9/05 06:08 AM, Massacore wrote:
At 2/8/05 08:21 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: What's the URL address of the window you're on when you try to click the Portal Advance?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/vote.php

You have to be on the Movie'S VIew page not the vote page for it too work, clikc back then use the bookmark! I think thats how its works anyway!

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 10:05:53

At 2/9/05 06:08 AM, Massacore wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/vote.php

Okay, try removing the bookmark and adding it again. I recently made a change that sounds like it'll fix your problem.

Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 10:06:57

At 2/9/05 10:05 AM, NasFlash wrote: You have to be on the Movie'S VIew page not the vote page for it too work, clikc back then use the bookmark! I think thats how its works anyway!

The first version of the Portal Advance didn't work on the vote page, but the current version does.