Be a Supporter!
Massacore
Massacore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 10:10:50 Reply

Ok i tried deleting it, and adding it again. Still not happening.

Will you post the link so i know i'm getting the exact right one :)

NasFlash
NasFlash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 10:25:19 Reply

At 2/9/05 10:06 AM, ShittyKitty wrote:
At 2/9/05 10:05 AM, NasFlash wrote: You have to be on the Movie'S VIew page not the vote page for it too work, clikc back then use the bookmark! I think thats how its works anyway!
The first version of the Portal Advance didn't work on the vote page, but the current version does.

Oh, well thats a good improvement, i know this is off topic but SK , whats uop with RG, when i go there it says"404 not found" or " no website configured at this address"??

ShittyKitty
ShittyKitty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 10:45:50 Reply

At 2/9/05 10:10 AM, Massacore wrote: Ok i tried deleting it, and adding it again. Still not happening.

*sigh* I can't post the link here; Newgrounds won't let me. However, I've made a test page you can try out here: http://www.jfsoftware.com/ng/ngportal_test.html

At 2/9/05 10:25 AM, NasFlash wrote: Oh, well thats a good improvement, i know this is off topic but SK , whats uop with RG, when i go there it says"404 not found" or " no website configured at this address"??

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=199666&page=11

Check the last two posts. I use that thread as a news board whenever Retrogade goes down.

ShittyKitty
ShittyKitty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 10:48:15 Reply

At 2/9/05 10:10 AM, Massacore wrote: Ok i tried deleting it, and adding it again. Still not happening.

OMG! I just realized something: I goofed up the link when I posted my latest version, but I didn't see the problem because I was looking at an old version of the webpage! Try going to http://www.jfsoftware.com/ng/ngportal.html and hitting Ctrl+F5. That should force a server refresh, and the link shouldn't be a mess of code.

Massacore
Massacore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 10:54:17 Reply

It's working! Thanks man! Sorry for being so anoying, it's a really helpfull tool and i really wanted it! :P

Thanks!

NasFlash
NasFlash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 10:56:56 Reply

At 2/9/05 10:45 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: Check the last two posts. I use that thread as a news board whenever Retrogade goes down.

Thanks, hope it gets fixed soon, glad its nothing serious!

ShittyKitty
ShittyKitty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 13:27:50 Reply

At 2/9/05 10:54 AM, Massacore wrote: It's working! Thanks man! Sorry for being so anoying, it's a really helpfull tool and i really wanted it! :P

Thanks!

Heh, annoying? I never would have noticed that problem, because my browser was showing me an old version. I appreciate the input, and I'm glad it's working correctly.

Tommy
Tommy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-09 13:34:04 Reply

It's working suprisingly quikly for me! thanks alot SK.

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-10 00:41:57 Reply

At 2/7/05 08:47 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: Hey boys and girls, check this out! I wrote a little JavaScript snippet that makes moving through the Portal easier, and stuffed it into a bookmark. To use this little gem, follow the instructions here: http://www.jfsoftware.com/ng/ngportal.html

To use this little doohickey, go into the Portal and select the last Under Judgement movie. Click the NG Portal Advance button/bookmark you created, and you'll be moved to the next movie. Odds are that movie won't exist yet, and you'll get a "Portal Error". Have no fear, though; if you click NG Portal Advance again, it'll simply reload the page until a movie appears. Watch the movie, click your vote, and click the Back button to return to the movie's page. Then click NG Portal Advance again, and it'll move on to the next movie!

Spiffy, huh? Trust me, this can make UJ voting soooo much faster. Just remember to hit the Back button on your browser after voting before you use the NG Portal Advance. Also, I've written the JavaScript so that it only runs on a Portal page, so if you accidentally click it on another page, it won't do anything. If you have any questions, post them here!

Holy freaking shiznit, man. Awesomeness. THANKS! My old portal-mainpage-avoidance method made manifest through the amazing powers of javascript! I would have attempted something like this long ago, but about all I know how to do with javascript bookmarks/toolbarbuttons is resizing/moving the browser window and adding/subtracting scrollbars and statusbars and so forth.

At 2/7/05 10:48 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: I've added a new feature to the NG Portal Advance. Now, if you click the NG Portal Advance button when you're on the "thanks for voting" page, you'll be sent back a page. Click the NG Portal Advance again, and off you go! This way you don't have to click Back before using the Advance again.

http://www.jfsoftware.com/ng/ngportal.html

Very nice modification. I've just tried it out and it's a breeze. I especially appreciate that it advances to the next flash ID# if you're on a "marked for admin review" or "graveyard" page (well, as long as the graveyard page was accessed via the usual portal/view method, not via rip.php... I didn't try that). Very groovy. It doen't get fooled by anything other than the "flash doesn't exist yet" page.

One thing, though. Your page was confusing because it said both:

"This way you don't have to click Back before using the Advance again.""

AND

"Just remember to hit the Back button on your browser after voting before you use the NG Portal Advance."

Methinks you should remove that last sentence from the bottom paragraph of the NG Portal Advance notes... seeing as how it no longer applies. #;-}>

At 2/7/05 09:15 PM, Sailor-Moon wrote: Haha, I remember you telling me able that little technique gfoxcook told you about on AIM once. Nice to see you made it into a program. But does it go to the most recent flash overnight or something? Explain that part, as in if YOU are inactive for a night does it just automatically go to the most recent flash the next time you get on?

Yep. I didn't just tell HIM, BTW, I've mentioned it in level up! a couple times and probably in other threads as well... to several people. I just don't think very many people thought it was a very good portal browsing method. Cept for SK, apparently. HE KEPT THE FAITH! #;-}>

If you paid any attention to my method when SK was telling you about it... you'd remember that my method was simply to add 1 to the portal flash ID# of the current UJ entry and boom, you're at the next movie (which might be under judgement, already saved, already blammed, already whistled... or finally, not there yet... any of those five possibilities). So obviously it's not going to remember what flash you last watched the next day or anything. Nor would it skip to the next UJ flash automatically.

If you're on flash # 218918, for instance, and you vote on it and then go to sleep and leave your browser open... and then you wake up 8 hours later and hit the portal advance twice... you're going to end up at 218919 which will probably be a graveyard page (or a movie with well over 200 votes that got saved hours ago)... and you'll need to get back to the portal mainpage to find out what's the oldest movie that's UJ. Click that one and begin again (it might already be saved or blammed, but no matter... just portal advance till you get to the next UJ movie. FUN!)...

anyway, just to clarify the process... With my method, you voted on it if it was UJ... otherwise, you'd add 1 again to the ID# and move on to the next one. This was all so you could avoid the hassle of refreshing the portal mainpage, which not only takes time... but is also sometimes misleading (it shows movies as UJ that are already blammed if nothing new has come in since the blammage... it shows movies as UJ that are already saved if nothing new has come in since the protection... etc. etc. etc...). With this method, you avoid such b/pcockteasing and skip straight to the movies and find out for yourself whether they're UJ or not instantly. That's why I always advocated it to people who got pissed off at this portal quirk.

And with SK's new javascript... it's so much easier and faster (I haven't really used my own method in months... but now I certainly shall be with SK's code!).

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
ShittyKitty
ShittyKitty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to NG Portal Advance 2005-02-10 01:05:56 Reply

At 2/10/05 12:41 AM, gfoxcook wrote: Holy freaking shiznit, man. Awesomeness. THANKS! My old portal-mainpage-avoidance method made manifest through the amazing powers of javascript!

Yeah, I knew you'd like it. ;-)

Methinks you should remove that last sentence from the bottom paragraph of the NG Portal Advance notes... seeing as how it no longer applies. #;-}>

Oops. Forgot about that little sentence. Removed it.