00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Basketball CrEw

162,554 Views | 1,871 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-05 00:25:33

At 2/4/09 10:06 PM, pepeatumi wrote: I have to say this... Both Lebron and Kobe are phenomenal talents, and we should not take them for granted. just because we may dislike them, or their respective team. We are truly lucky to see these guys play the game of basketball.

Well, Kobe and LeBron truly deserves to be the candidates for MVP because of their talents on the court. They can pass, they can shoot, and yes, they can lead their team to championship. Also, they can break records. I was amazed on the two in their games against NEW YORK, which they set new records. And I concur what you said.

Cleveland beats the Knicks 107-102. Lebron with 52 points, 11 assists, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks.

YAY! ANOTHER TRIPLE DOUBLE FOR KING JAMES...

- - - -

EPIC MATCH TOMORROW...

LAKERS VS. CELTICS...

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-05 04:18:22

At 2/5/09 03:11 AM, Gooch wrote: I wonder if Kevin Garnett will be ready for the game? It takes a little bit away from the epicness of the game if he's out. I want to see the Boston Three Party as a whole against the West's best team.

Well, that will be the test whose team is best in NBA. Who is really dominating. There are also great match-ups.

Gasol vs. Garnett
Bynum (Damn, he is hurting is knee again...) vs. Perkins
Kobe vs. Pierce

Either way, should be a great game to watch.

I will watch this match tomorrow morning and I am betting for the Lakers to sweep the Celts this year.

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-05 14:52:07

I watched the slam dunk competition the other day.

Dwight Howard was pretty epic. Although my favourite was Jamario Moon's first attempt.

JaY11's sigs > your sig.

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-13 13:57:58

The Toronto Raptors have agreed to send Jermaine O'Neal and Jamario Moon to the Miami Heat in exchange for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks, league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

The deal is pending league approval, according to sources, and if approved, would be announced later Friday afternoon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story ?id=3905146

My name is pepeatumi... But you already knew that!

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-16 16:11:42

Shaq's dancing is unparalleled. That was spectacular.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-17 05:17:54

At 2/16/09 04:11 PM, Buddhist wrote: Shaq's dancing is unparalleled. That was spectacular.

Yeah, and for real, he is truly a great dancer and entertainer at the same, he was just having fun while doing the dancing with....hmmmm.... I don't remember the name of the dancing group but yeah, the ALL-STAR 2009 is one spectacular event and I know 2010 on Dallas is greater because LeBron will join the Slam Dunk contest.

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-17 16:44:34

how could you forget the Jabbawockeez?!

oh my god

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-17 20:13:56

Phoenix wanted far more than Gooden's expiring contract plus Tyrus Thomas. They were asking for too much for Amare from a lot of teams.

They offered to trade Amare to Memphis if the Griz gave up Mike Conley, Rudy Gay and Hakim Warrick.

Sarver said he might be willing to trade Amare if the Bulls actually decide to give up the package of Gooden's expiring contract + Joakim Noah + Tyrus Thomas + a draft pick.

The Blazers were said to be willing to give up Raef LaFrentz's expiring contract + Jerryd Bayless and perhaps a draft pick, but the Suns wanted La'Marcus Aldridge, Bayless and LaFrentz's expiring deal.

They're stuck because they can't trade him for less than he's worth because it will make the franchise look even less competent, but nobody is willing to give up as much as Amare is actually worth, especially since all the owners and GMs are well aware that Amare has been on the block for like a month now, which hurts the value of the trading chip the Suns have because it's well-known that they're aiming to get rid of him.

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-18 03:11:59

At 2/17/09 04:44 PM, Buddhist wrote: how could you forget the Jabbawockeez?!

Because first, the name is long. Second, it is very unpopular HERE that's why I don't recognise it.

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-18 18:02:51

At 2/18/09 03:11 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Because first, the name is long. Second, it is very unpopular HERE that's why I don't recognise it.

That was a sarcastic remark, Captain Philippines.

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-18 22:34:00

The Bulls did make a deal but not the one that a lot of people thought of as it was with the Kings.

Bulls get Brad Miller and John Salmons

Kings get Andres Nocioni, Drew Gooden, Michael Ruffin, and Cedric Simmons.

From a Bulls fan perspective, this is a decent deal. I've heard a lot of people say they didn't want Nocioni on the team anymore and I share this sentiment. They're trying to get a low post scorer in Miller and Salmons has been a good scorer this year and will keep the bench depth.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-19 05:31:45

At 2/18/09 10:34 PM, 36Holla wrote: The Bulls did make a deal but not the one that a lot of people thought of as it was with the Kings.

Bulls get Brad Miller and John Salmons

Kings get Andres Nocioni, Drew Gooden, Michael Ruffin, and Cedric Simmons.

From a Bulls fan perspective, this is a decent deal. I've heard a lot of people say they didn't want Nocioni on the team anymore and I share this sentiment. They're trying to get a low post scorer in Miller and Salmons has been a good scorer this year and will keep the bench depth.

Well, for me, it's not. I have to oppose you. For what I have observe, the Kings need more big men on their line-up and backcourt scorers as well, but they did get what they need but the Bulls line-up didn't meet their following requirements.

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-19 10:57:05

At 2/19/09 01:31 AM, Gooch wrote: The reasoning: Chandler failed a physical. How awkward is this going to be for that organization knowing they shipped Chandler "allegedly" because of his salary?

Wait.. A guy who was injured (And has a history of being injured) failed his physical? No way! And I get the feeling that the Hornets GM will borrow an idea from the old Saints fan and walk around with a paper bag over his head.

The Suns scored 142 last night (Eclipsing the 140 from the night before). The only problem? It was against the Clippers... again!

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-19 15:30:29

Look out New York...here comes Larry Hughes to save the day (by taking far more shots than he should and continually tossing up garbage shots)!

I picked him up in one of my fantasy leagues as a speculative add, since he'll probably take over at starting SG over Q-Rich, meaning either Q-Rich slides back to SF or they put him on the bench. Either way I assume he gets a bunch of PT sooner rather than later.

As for Wilcox....idk. Where does he fit in that scheme?

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-20 21:46:14

At 2/19/09 03:30 PM, Buddhist wrote: As for Wilcox....idk. Where does he fit in that scheme?

I can see him coming off the bench and contributing a bit. He seems like the type of player that would thrive in the D'antoni system.

Now for some sad news:

Larry H. Miller, the car sales mogul who turned the Utah Jazz into one of the NBA's most stable teams, died Friday from complications of type 2 diabetes. He was 64.

Miller was at home with his family when he passed away, the team said in a statement.

Miller had a heart attack in June 2008, then spent nearly two months in the hospital for complications from diabetes. He was in a wheelchair after his release from the hospital and his medical problems continued, leading to the amputation of his legs six inches below the knee in January.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story ?id=3922880

RIP, Mr.Miller

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-02-21 14:29:33

I really can't decide where to go with my other non-NG-League fantasy team. I'm stuck in a bind.

At the beginning of the season, my team looked like this:

PG - Jason Terry
SG - Jason Richardson
G - Kevin Durant
SF - Lamar Odom
PF - Amare Stoudamire
F - Nene
C - Tim Duncan
C - Tyson Chandler
Util - Hakim Warrick
Util - Raja Bell
BN - Joakim Noah, Jason Maxiell, Ryan Gomes

Then injuries hit, and trades went down (I swung J-Rich for Mike Bibby after the former went to the Suns)...and now my lineup looks like this:

PG - Luke Ridnour (just got back last night)
SG - Raja Bell
G - Larry Hughes (probably not for long, given how much he can suck at any given time)
SF - Kevin Durant
PF - Lamar Odom (only recently playing well)
F - Nene
C - Tim Duncan
C - Ronny Turiaf
Util - Mike Bibby
Util - Yi Jianlian (just got back as well)
BN - Delonte West (still injured, but expected back sometime next week), Jason Terry (out at least six more weeks), Chris Andersen

There are a lot of interesting guys in the FA pool that I've had my eye on for a while now, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on. Any advice? I mean, I'm probably going to keep Ridnour and West because I waited out both of their injuries and they'll be back in their respective starting lineups once they're both 100%, and they can both really help out with assists. However, I don't know if I should wait out Terry's injury. It is a finger injury (a la Melo earlier this season), and six weeks is the most recent timetable they've given him for his return. That would peg him around the first week of April if all goes according to plan, no setbacks.

There's a lot of young upside guys on the wire, but I don't know if I have enough faith in any of them to warrant a roster spot.

I'm also slightly concerned with Yi's PT, but one has to assume that even at the worst, Ryan Anderson & maybe Josh Boone will only suck up 10 minutes more of his floor time once he's fully healthy.

Anyway. Any opinions on the following guys I've been watching?

- JJ Barea, PG/SG (not the starter, but w/ Terry out he'll get 20-30 a night I think)

- Flip Murray, SG (again, not a starter, but almost always puts up 10+ from off the bench a night)

- Antoine Wright, SG/SF (takes over for Terry at starting SG in Dallas; put up double figures in points in 4 of last 5 games, PT going up over 30 mins per now)

- Sebastian Telfair, PG (double figures in points in 8 of last 10 games without Al Jefferson, decent # of assists per as well)

- Nenad Krstic, PF/C (going to be given starting opportunities in OKC over Nick Collison)

- Tim Thomas, SF/PF (assumed to be getting Nocioni's minutes once he reports to CHI)

- Aaron Brooks, PG/SG (new starting PG in HOU; put up 19/6/8 in 33 mins in 1st game as starter)

- Nick Young, SG/SF (rookie, can be very erratic...double figures in 6 of 10, including 4 20+ point games, but just 12 points in last 3 games combined as PT fluctuates)

- Drew Gooden, PF/C (still injured; remains to be seen if he will come off the bench, start, or be released by SAC; double-double machine if given 30 minutes per)

- Joel Przybilla, C (becomes starting C in POR while Oden nurses knee woes; major source of rebounds & blocks when given PT; remains to be seen how much PT he will get if/when Oden returns; already have Chris Andersen for blocks/rebounds)

I'm trying to replace the scoring touch of both Amare and Jason Terry now, so any help would be great. I'm looking long-term, because it's a H2H league and not a points league.

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-03-06 16:37:03

BOSTON-Saying that "We cannot all be masters, nor all masters / Cannot be truly follow'd," disruptive point guard Stephon Marbury has been scheming to turn Boston's "Big Three" against one another since he signed with the Celtics last month, apparently trying to claim the team for his own.

Sources within the NBA said that within hours of reporting to his first practice, Marbury had met separately with forward Kevin Garnett, guard Ray Allen, and shooting guard Paul Pierce, and was seen whispering to each in turn while pointing at the other two. When asked what he had said to his teammates, Marbury answered, "I am nothing, if not critical," and refused further comment.

When the Celtics lost Sunday's home game to Detroit 105-95, Marbury, who was scoreless in his 12 minutes of play, could be seen smiling coldly from the bench as Pierce and Allen displayed greatly reduced chemistry, failing to pass the ball to open men or execute picks as effectively as they had in the past.

"I shall of these three fools now make my purse," Marbury was heard to say after the game, although he appeared to be addressing no one and perhaps spoke only to himself. "These stars are of a free and open nature, / And think men honest that but seem to be so, / And will as tenderly be led by the nose / As asses are."

When questioned about the meaning of his aside, Marbury said only, "I am not what I am."

Although Garnett, Allen, and Pierce originally welcomed Marbury to the team, stating that they believed he would be valuable coming off the bench and were looking forward to playing with him, they have since stated publicly that Marbury's secretive nature, conspiring attitude, and constant requests to speak with them alone are already beginning to wear on them.

"After the Detroit loss he pulled me aside and said that I should be as famous as Paul and Kevin," said Allen, who admitted that he found both Marbury's attitude and his language difficult to understand. "Except he said it like, 'Reputation is an idle and most false / imposition: oft got without merit, and lost without / deserving,' and I was like, 'Come on, man, I don't want to hear that.' My numbers are up since I played with them, is all I know, and they don't try and confuse me all the time."

"Stephon told me that the other two guys hated me because I was the most talented," said Pierce, who said speaking with Marbury was beginning to make him feel uncomfortable. "He said I should beware jealousy because it was 'the green-ey'd monster which doth mock / The meat it feeds on.' But I was like, 'Stephon, first of all, Kevin is a way better player than I am.' He just walked away muttering. I don't know what's up with that dude."

Garnett expressed a similar bewilderment with Marbury's behavior.

"Weird thing is, he kept calling the other guys moors, which is just really messed up," the 12-time all-star said. "I mean, what is that, anyway? He didn't say it like it was a good thing. If he plays good basketball he can do what he wants, but I'm not going to listen to anyone call me or my guys moors."

All three men also commented that Marbury had at some point pulled each one of them aside and told them the other two had been "making the beast with two backs."

"I was freaked out, but then I realized he expected me to be jealous, and that freaked me out even more," Garnett said. "Especially when I heard him tell people that's how I injured my right knee. I know Stephon was trouble even way back when we both played for the Timberwolves-he's been trouble everywhere he goes-but this is a whole new level."

Conferring with one another, the Big Three all agreed that Marbury had implied, if not expressly stated, that perhaps Celtics coach Doc Rivers should be stabbed to death, an implication they found unnerving.

When asked for comment, Marbury expressed surprise that his teammates would react to his presence in this way.

"Is it my contract?" asked Marbury, who will receive a prorated veteran's minimum of $1.3 million from the Celtics this season. "Because the money means nothing to me without the respect of my teammates. Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, / Is the immediate jewel of their souls: / Who steals my purse steals trash... / But he that filches from me my good name / Robs me of that which not enriches him / And makes me poor indeed."

When asked for clarification, Marbury responded, "Demand me nothing: what you know, you know: / From this time forth I never will speak [a] word," and requested that all further questions be directed to his agent, one Roderigo of Venice, who as of press time could not be reached.

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-03-13 02:08:18

Did anyone else happen to catch that Syracuse/Conneticut marathon?

Syracuse wins the game 127 to 117.. IN SIX OVERTIMES!!

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-03-13 05:20:17

Finally, the Lakers clinched the Pacific division title for the 31st time but not clinching a playoff spot yet. Well, I think so that they will go at it and win the championship this year.

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-03-14 13:32:42

At 3/13/09 05:20 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Finally, the Lakers clinched the Pacific division title for the 31st time but not clinching a playoff spot yet. Well, I think so that they will go at it and win the championship this year.

Actually, the first team from each division automaticaly gets a playoff spot. So yeah, they have clinched a playoff spot...

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-03-14 13:49:51

At 3/13/09 05:20 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Finally, the Lakers clinched the Pacific division title for the 31st time but not clinching a playoff spot yet. Well, I think so that they will go at it and win the championship this year.

Are you related to Jack Youngblood?

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-03-14 16:26:24

What a game in Miami!

The Heat beat Utah in triple overtime. D-Wade had 50 points, 10 boards and 9 assists (Also got 4 steals). I will say this, there were some times where the refs seemed to heavily favor Miami, so um... yeah.

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-03-14 16:57:16

At 3/14/09 03:04 PM, Gooch wrote:
At 3/14/09 01:32 PM, sabosh wrote:
Actually, the first team from each division automaticaly gets a playoff spot. So yeah, they have clinched a playoff spot...
It's weird though how they can still finish with a worse record than eight other teams though.

Just goes to show you how piss-poor that division has been playing this year. It's unfortunate, because I think Golden State had potential to be a great team this year before all their chemistry was fucked up between Baron Davis signing with the Clippers and Monte Ellis and his moped incident. That, and I really don't think it helped when they let Matt Barnes run free to Phoenix, either. That guy's a player.

Couldn't agree more. Golden State could have done much much better. I expected more myself. But although the pacific division is pretty weak, and that's the main reason the Lakers already clinched that title, one must aknowlege that the west is much tougher than the east, even though Phoenix is doing very bad, the Lakers have done it pretty early in the season. Not to mention the extremely slim chances of them not finishing first in the west...
To round off, it is not a strong competition, but the Lakers really earned it...

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-03-16 06:34:14

At 3/14/09 01:32 PM, sabosh wrote:

Wow, many in the West teams don't have the chance to make it to the playoffs but if you're a Bobcat, Knick, Pacer, Raptor, Net, or a Buck fan, a playoff spot is still there for those teams. Only Washington cannot make it to the playoffs after a 1st round appearance last year.

At 3/14/09 01:49 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Are you related to Jack Youngblood?

Ehem.

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-04-03 16:17:56

So for those of you who don't know (assuming this is everyone else), the Maryland University women's basketball team, the Lady Terrapins, have a slogan running during the NCAA Women's March Madness tourney...their team slogan is, and I shit you not, "We Eat Kids."

Apparently the slogan was born during a Midnight Madness dance routine, sophomore forward Emery Wallace yelling out "We eat kids!" as a way to keep up the motivation with her teammates. She got it from the infamous Mike Tyson quote to Evander Holyfield back in the 90s. It caught on, even though half the team apparently has no idea what it means. To quote a blogger's interview with freshman center Yemi Oyefuwa:

""Every month I choose a child," she told me. "Sometimes it's one from back home, sometimes it's someone from this country. You try to pick the juicy ones, the ones with nice hair, delicious ones, pretty eyes, because you know, the eyes are the best."

The interview went on and included other members of the team...

"She's not stable," star forward Marissa Coleman pointed out about teammate Emery Wallace. The players started writing it on the white board before games, underneath the three keys provided by the coaching staff. They began putting their fists together and shouting it before leaving the room. They return to the message at halftime, with Wallace tailoring her exact advice based on the first-half performance. "She'll be like, 'We're halfway through the kids' body now, keep going,' " Oyefuwa explained. "It's not like we played bad, you already had the head, you already had the hair."

So the question remains...is this the perfect storm for dead baby jokes?

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-04-06 19:32:13

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-04-08 10:49:50

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-04-08 11:48:04

At 4/8/09 10:49 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Man, baro is like a kid.

Well, kinda remember his last quote. About balls? Also, reminiscing Kobe, jumping on a car last year.

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-04-08 12:53:36

I know that the Thunder are a bad team, but I'm pretty sure they're record isn't THIS bad.

556 losses?

Response to American Basketball CrEw 2009-04-08 13:07:42

Also, what is up with people complaining about David Robinson's induction to the Hall of Fame? Seriously WTF

Please subscribe

BBS Signature