00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TalisDM just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash Forward 2024 Winners!

4,945 Views | 28 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The time has arrived to announce the winners of Flash Forward 2024!

This event celebrates the legacy of Flash while giving people cool new Flash games and interactive movies, playable in the browser thanks to Ruffle!

Thank you @Dungeonation, @FutureCopLGF and @BoMToons for judging assistance!

Top Five Games

🏆1st - $1,100

“I think Emrox misunderstood the assignment, they made an hours-long “Flash dev success story” 2010’s indie game like Braid, Closure, etc. by accident. HOLY CRAP? Isn't the Flash web version also supposed to be less of a finished product than the Steam or console version or whatever? We’re zero for two now. This is just far too fun and mesmerizing to look at and to play! I did experience some frame drops while playing but it didn't really detract from the experience. Love the audio design too (my faves are the getting hurt noises). Emrox gave us a cool demoscene Flash in a previous Flash Forward, Artifacts - and once again he's shown us what Flash, and Ruffle for that matter, can give us!”

-Dungeonation

“This game is fascinating! The production quality is through the roof with all sorts of silky smooth animations and effects, and the gameplay concept and mechanics are bafflingly unique and give off a great sense of intrigue and mystique. I gotta admit, it's almost so mind-bending to the point that it makes it difficult for me to get into for long before I get overwhelmed, but even I can't help but keep coming back to this to see how much further I can chip away at the mystery!”

-FutureCopLGF

“Really elegantly simple design, but surprisingly complex/original/experimental gameplay concept make this a super fresh addition to the “Flash Game Canon.” Highly-polished soundscape design, voice acting, animation, and controls shine out (which we’ve come to expect from Emrox). There’s something quintessential about crisp vector art smoothly-animated that screams “FLASH!” Not afraid to take things slow and build up suspense to tell its story (doesn’t hold your hand, which makes discoveries more satisfying). Unique gameplay makes you stretch your expectations, but still manages to be intuitive. Highly recommend!”

-BoMToons

🏆2nd - $750

“This was a pretty cute and solid metroid game! I'm always a sucker for multiple endings, and here I was really impressed at the depth of endings you could get: my first time playing through I thought I got it all, only to question whether I was blind as I started to find all sorts of hidden items and events on my subsequent playthroughs that opened up new routes. The endings were no slouch either, as practically all of them led to some crazy setpieces to cap them off!”

-FutureCopLGF

“A metroidvania where you’re escaping an orphanage by defeating the demon-worshiping nuns?? Sign me up! Simple gameplay, but really delivers on the storyline and metroidvania “find items to progress” mechanics.”

-BoMToons

🏆3rd - $500

“If someone didn't know this was a Flash game I don't think it would've crossed their mind that it could be one (and is!) What a fun control scheme, it compliments the character designs very well! Guy-Unger has brought us small Flash Forward goodies before in previous years such as Gooby and Pico's School (corrupted text) and they've done it again this year, it feels great taking out targets and baddies while dodging and platforming and such in this!”

-Dungeonation

“Really fun, original mechanic where you can only shoot while you’re jumping
 er
 “toast popping.” Very charming art style, challenging but not overly-so and a pretty cool boss battle
 we need a sequel that does even more with this interesting game mechanic!”

-BoMToons

🏆4th - $300

“This Pico-themed Flash definitely has the 2000's web point n’ click gameplay down! In this we’ve got Luis’ Yandere Pico OC, Tracie, in an actual Pico game! Playing through to the end wasn’t too rough but was still plenty of fun! If it weren’t for the fact that the world of Pico IS supposed to be “edutainment”, Darnell’s quiz would’ve felt more out of place. I LOVE the meta moment when interacting enough with Tracie’s computer, only in this type of medium!”

-Dungeonation

“Really nails the olskool point and click Pico vibe and has a really interesting premise (a new, slightly psychotic, Pico’s School character in pursuit of Pico’s affection
) There’s even a tongue-in-cheek anti-climactic ending that fits the Pico vibe too!”

-BoMToons

🏆5th - $100

“I thought all that I was going to enjoy with this game was how accurate of a nostalgia trip it was, invoking characters of old and those classic edgy Flash RPG vibes, but I was really surprised with how the combat evolved over the story as it introduced new characters to your party, each with a set of moves built to help to counter the ever-increasing array of unique enemies and their devious tricks! Those final fights required some real strategy to them!”

-FutureCopLGF

Top Three Interactive Movies

🏆1st - $500

“A heartfelt and heartbreaking interactive story with professionally-consistent design and art aesthetics. From the sound fx, to the subtle animations on each page, to the deliberate monochrome color palette, this was a highly-polished experience that did its serious content justice.”

-BoMToons

“Unique visual novel presentation going on here. It’s not re-inventive for the genre but it’s given the breath of fresh air that it has through what Flash is good at. Bleak-Creep’s distinct art style works quite well for this type of story and visual novel, too. It’s not going to be a story for everyone, but I feel a lot of Flashes of this scope back in the day were personal in some capacity.”

-Dungeonation

“This was quite the emotional journey, both watching it and reviewing it! Truth be told, I hemmed and hawed over this for some time as to how I felt about it as it did have some rather avant-garde decisions like its abrupt ending that left me flabbergasted. But ultimately I had to give it credit that, despite its short length, its story and presentation enraptured me almost immediately and so powerfully to make a memorable experience that has stuck with me and I still come back to ponder on.”

-FutureCopLGF

🏆2nd - $200

“A blast from the past! The “Windows simulator” genre hits the right nostalgia notes for a competition about the hey-day of Flash games. Most poignant was when I tried opening Flash and got the blue screen of death
”

-BoMToons

🏆3rd - $50

“Feels like a direct transplant from the early 90s. Feels like something I might have made in my youth. An epic adventure through the pages of the Bible, plenty of Papyrus font use, stock sound fx, with corny humor and animation to boot! We need a medal for watching all of them (I did!)”

-BoMToons

Thank you everyone who participated in Flash Forward 2024!

If you love seeing the progress Ruffle Flash emulation has made over the years, consider sponsoring ongoing Ruffle development.

We’ll be hosting Flash Forward again in 2025 so if you’ve ever been tempted to make a new game or interactive movie in Flash, there’s something to aim for!

Keep reading below to see the event Sponsors and other news!

iu_1204187_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Thank you to our Sponsors!

@hako - $350

@danmcneely and the Armor Games Team - $250

@matt-likes-swords - $200

@frameslinger - $200

@wheezl - $200

@GDA-G - $200

@DrSevenSeizeMD - $108.69đŸ„”

@EmsDeLaRoZ - $100

@Bleak-Creep - $100

@Saminat - $100

@D-SuN - $100

@The-EXP - $100

@jmtb02 - $100

Art Gallery Collab Team - $100

@53xy83457 - $50

@FutureCopLGF - $50

@librefree20 - $50

@AmazingArsonist - $50

@Krinkels - $50

@Atlas - $47

@Aalasteir - $40

@YendorNG - $20

@TownFunk - $20

@Splootulu - $20

@Dry - $10

@SuperJeffoMan - $10

@TecNoir - $10

@RigaheaD - $10

Newgrounds - $500

Other News

Yesterday @PsychoGoldfish added the ability to hide reviews from your feed on a per-project basis.

Check out the Best of April!

Pico Day is on May 18th and there are two meetups:

May 17th - Pico Day NJ Meetup

May 18th - Dublin, Ireland Meetup

May - Lowspec Jam 2 month-long game jam.

May 15th - Sonic’s 33rd Art Collab deadline.

May 17th - Ghost Collab deadline.

May 18th - World Goth Day Collab deadline.

May 18th - Pico Day

May 20th - Kart Collab deadline.

May 24th - Pickle Collab deadline.

May 31st - Subspace Emissary Art Collab join deadline.

May 31st - Fartmania High Score Contest deadline.

June 2nd - Dreamcast Collab extended deadline.

June 5th - NGTV Summer Bash deadline.

June 6th - Arcade Pixel Art Mockup Zone Collab deadline.

June 8th - OneyPlays Sonic Shorts deadline.

June 14th - Writer's Jam 2024 begins - sign up!

June 17th - Art Inspired Music Contest deadline.

June 28th - Too Many Games Meetup in Oaks, PA.

July 7th - Concert of Love deadline.

July 11th - Christmas in July Collab deadline.

July 20th - Five Nights at Freddy's Collab deadline.

July 20th - Subspace Emissary Art Collab deadline.

July 26th - NG Summer Smash Meetup in Wildwood, NJ.

August - Midsummer Rumble month-long art event.

August 3rd - Short Short Fest at Marty Magee's in Prospect Park, PA - Open for Submissions!

August 9th - Short Short Fest at Capri Drive-In in Coldwater, MI - Open for Submissions!

October 12st - Brainrot Scam Ad Collab deadline.

November 1st - Nintendo DS Collab deadline.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 14:36:23

So glad Tracie's Pursuit got a place! I liked it alot!

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Congratulations :)

I like to make animations :)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 14:40:10

At 5/15/24 02:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: Thank you to our Sponsors!

@hako - $350
@danmcneely and the Armor Games Team - $250
@matt-likes-swords - $200
@frameslinger - $200
@wheezl - $200
@GDA-G - $200
@DrSevenSeizeMD - $108.69đŸ„”
@EmsDeLaRoZ - $100
@Bleak-Creep - $100
@Saminat - $100
@D-SuN - $100
@The-EXP - $100
@jmtb02 - $100
Art Gallery Collab Team - $100
@53xy83457 - $50
@FutureCopLGF - $50
@librefree20 - $50
@AmazingArsonist - $50
@Krinkels - $50
@Atlas - $47
@Aalasteir - $40
@YendorNG - $20
@TownFunk - $20
@Splootulu - $20
@Dry - $10
@SuperJeffoMan - $10
@TecNoir - $10
@RigaheaD - $10
Newgrounds - $500

Other News

Yesterday @PsychoGoldfish added the ability to hide reviews from your feed on a per-project basis.

Check out the Best of April!

Pico Day is on May 18th and there are two meetups:

May 17th - Pico Day NJ Meetup
May 18th - Dublin, Ireland Meetup

May - Lowspec Jam 2 month-long game jam.
May 15th - Sonic’s 33rd Art Collab deadline.
May 17th - Ghost Collab deadline.
May 18th - World Goth Day Collab deadline.
May 18th - Pico Day
May 20th - Kart Collab deadline.
May 24th - Pickle Collab deadline.
May 31st - Subspace Emissary Art Collab join deadline.
May 31st - Fartmania High Score Contest deadline.

June 2nd - Dreamcast Collab extended deadline.
June 5th - NGTV Summer Bash deadline.
June 6th - Arcade Pixel Art Mockup Zone Collab deadline.
June 8th - OneyPlays Sonic Shorts deadline.
June 17th - Art Inspired Music Contest deadline.
June 28th - Too Many Games Meetup in Oaks, PA.

July 7th - Concert of Love deadline.
July 11th - Christmas in July Collab deadline.
July 20th - Five Nights at Freddy's Collab deadline.
July 20th - Subspace Emissary Art Collab deadline.
July 26th - NG Summer Smash Meetup in Wildwood, NJ.

August - Midsummer Rumble month-long art event.
August 3rd - Short Short Fest at Marty Magee's in Prospect Park, PA - Open for Submissions!
August 9th - Short Short Fest at Capri Drive-In in Coldwater, MI - Open for Submissions!

October 12st - Brainrot Scam Ad Collab deadline.

November 1st - Nintendo DS Collab deadline.

ACTUALLY crying right now what in the world 😭 Thank you so much!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 14:41:23

Congrats to the winners!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 14:51:12

Hi, I would like to say thank you for being here and showing interest in the Flash Jam. You are all awesome!

Congratulations for everyone, specially @StormyDev, @Jin, @Kolumbo & Others!

See ya soon on Flash Forward 2025 :3

ElRandomGMD (aka RandomToons)

Part of A200 Club

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 14:54:19

now that's wild THANK YOU so much!!

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 14:57:05

Another great year! See ya next Flash Forward! <3

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 15:02:00

Good jorb everyone. I have to play through a lot of these but atleast I played most of the winnars

first post before pico day

None

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 15:28:11

Wowowow, I’m stunned! Thank you!

Loved Emrox’s entry, very happy to see that one at the top again.

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 15:48:27

You guys should cookings something on NewGrounds like for real congratulation to @everyone ;)

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 15:48:50

Congrats to all the talented winners! @Kolumbo I really liked your windows parody. Hope to see more from you soon!

sup

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 17:10:32

At 5/15/24 02:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: The time has arrived to announce the winners of Flash Forward 2024!

This event celebrates the legacy of Flash while giving people cool new Flash games and interactive movies, playable in the browser thanks to Ruffle!

Thank you @Dungeonation, @FutureCopLGF and @BoMToons for judging assistance!

Top Five Games

🏆1st - $1,100

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/927062

“I think Emrox misunderstood the assignment, they made an hours-long “Flash dev success story” 2010’s indie game like Braid, Closure, etc. by accident. HOLY CRAP? Isn't the Flash web version also supposed to be less of a finished product than the Steam or console version or whatever? We’re zero for two now. This is just far too fun and mesmerizing to look at and to play! I did experience some frame drops while playing but it didn't really detract from the experience. Love the audio design too (my faves are the getting hurt noises). Emrox gave us a cool demoscene Flash in a previous Flash Forward, Artifacts - and once again he's shown us what Flash, and Ruffle for that matter, can give us!”
-Dungeonation

“This game is fascinating! The production quality is through the roof with all sorts of silky smooth animations and effects, and the gameplay concept and mechanics are bafflingly unique and give off a great sense of intrigue and mystique. I gotta admit, it's almost so mind-bending to the point that it makes it difficult for me to get into for long before I get overwhelmed, but even I can't help but keep coming back to this to see how much further I can chip away at the mystery!”
-FutureCopLGF

“Really elegantly simple design, but surprisingly complex/original/experimental gameplay concept make this a super fresh addition to the “Flash Game Canon.” Highly-polished soundscape design, voice acting, animation, and controls shine out (which we’ve come to expect from Emrox). There’s something quintessential about crisp vector art smoothly-animated that screams “FLASH!” Not afraid to take things slow and build up suspense to tell its story (doesn’t hold your hand, which makes discoveries more satisfying). Unique gameplay makes you stretch your expectations, but still manages to be intuitive. Highly recommend!”
-BoMToons

🏆2nd - $750

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/926302

“This was a pretty cute and solid metroid game! I'm always a sucker for multiple endings, and here I was really impressed at the depth of endings you could get: my first time playing through I thought I got it all, only to question whether I was blind as I started to find all sorts of hidden items and events on my subsequent playthroughs that opened up new routes. The endings were no slouch either, as practically all of them led to some crazy setpieces to cap them off!”
-FutureCopLGF

“A metroidvania where you’re escaping an orphanage by defeating the demon-worshiping nuns?? Sign me up! Simple gameplay, but really delivers on the storyline and metroidvania “find items to progress” mechanics.”
-BoMToons

🏆3rd - $500

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/927025

“If someone didn't know this was a Flash game I don't think it would've crossed their mind that it could be one (and is!) What a fun control scheme, it compliments the character designs very well! Guy-Unger has brought us small Flash Forward goodies before in previous years such as Gooby and Pico's School (corrupted text) and they've done it again this year, it feels great taking out targets and baddies while dodging and platforming and such in this!”
-Dungeonation

“Really fun, original mechanic where you can only shoot while you’re jumping
 er
 “toast popping.” Very charming art style, challenging but not overly-so and a pretty cool boss battle
 we need a sequel that does even more with this interesting game mechanic!”
-BoMToons

🏆4th - $300

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/926929

“This Pico-themed Flash definitely has the 2000's web point n’ click gameplay down! In this we’ve got Luis’ Yandere Pico OC, Tracie, in an actual Pico game! Playing through to the end wasn’t too rough but was still plenty of fun! If it weren’t for the fact that the world of Pico IS supposed to be “edutainment”, Darnell’s quiz would’ve felt more out of place. I LOVE the meta moment when interacting enough with Tracie’s computer, only in this type of medium!”
-Dungeonation

“Really nails the olskool point and click Pico vibe and has a really interesting premise (a new, slightly psychotic, Pico’s School character in pursuit of Pico’s affection
) There’s even a tongue-in-cheek anti-climactic ending that fits the Pico vibe too!”
-BoMToons

🏆5th - $100

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/927012

“I thought all that I was going to enjoy with this game was how accurate of a nostalgia trip it was, invoking characters of old and those classic edgy Flash RPG vibes, but I was really surprised with how the combat evolved over the story as it introduced new characters to your party, each with a set of moves built to help to counter the ever-increasing array of unique enemies and their devious tricks! Those final fights required some real strategy to them!”
-FutureCopLGF

Top Three Interactive Movies

🏆1st - $500

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/924283

Fuck you and eat shit, your son of a bitch

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 18:07:09

I liked this game a lot:

Its not the best, but its such a throw back to older stuff

I never completed it but it was fun.

idk

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 18:27:36

Thank you everyone for the kind words! @Mcbinkles did the sound for Dwarf Planet One (I've been bugging him to log in and accept his co-authorship but i guess he's busy or keeps forgetting) and I'm glad to hear the sound was a highlight for so many people! (I have much more to say, but very little time right now - post-mortem coming eventually!)

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 20:19:33

congratulations to the winners! :DDDDDDDDDD <33333

- wamy :3

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-15 21:43:03

At 5/15/24 06:27 PM, Emrox wrote: Thank you everyone for the kind words! @Mcbinkles did the sound for Dwarf Planet One (I've been bugging him to log in and accept his co-authorship but i guess he's busy or keeps forgetting) and I'm glad to hear the sound was a highlight for so many people! (I have much more to say, but very little time right now - post-mortem coming eventually!)

I pushed the Mcbinkles credit through now!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-16 05:35:06

Congrats for everyone participated , but i have a question.. what is the another two animations in category (flash interative movies)? just third place appeared? "Movie with Interactive Element Prizes:

1st - $250

2nd - $100

3rd - $50" i'm confused about that

Monster World Web series

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-16 08:00:56

At 5/16/24 05:35 AM, HantomPro wrote: Congrats for everyone participated , but i have a question.. what is the another two animations in category (flash interative movies)? just third place appeared? "Movie with Interactive Element Prizes:

1st - $250
2nd - $100
3rd - $50" i'm confused about that

We only had three prize tiers for the interactive movie category, vs five for games.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-16 09:08:01

A solid selection, Congrats to the winners!

Looking forward to next year too, may the Flash jams keep on forever!

The latest: Hexa #98 (Jun)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-16 16:14:12

As a dude who failed to get an entry in on time (my idea was an "Andrew Tate" business sim, I'm glad in retrospect that I didn't finish it, ugh), I'm really impressed by this year's slate.

I was deeply concerned when the number of submissions was far lower this year (probably due to AnimateArchive's shutdown) combined with the increase in the prize winnings, but everything worked out in the end. I'm also very happy that the original projects with a lot of effort behind them were the ones to be recognized, Dwarf Planet One and Orphanarium definitely deserved to win, congrats @Emrox and @Veinom. An off-site criticism that has been persistent is that NG can get too insular and that the contests have become more about nostalgia rather than creative pursuit, so having three new great Flash games to play is the boon of this competition.

I especially have to praise Orphanarium. It is a Flash game project back when Flash games were serious business, transported to the modern era.

May Ruffle improve forever more. Having Flash be picked back up will result in a new renaissance, I hope.

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-16 17:40:36

Juts in case you didn’t know, Orphanarium is not new at all, it was made and publish like 4 or 3 years ago, the creator (veins) sells it for $2.50 in his home page, he just shared a copy of the game here but the original cost money, I liked the game but I just don’t get why reuse old stuff, is like having the creators of snail bob or fancy pants which were great old flash games present their games now xd.

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-16 17:56:15

At 5/16/24 04:14 PM, MisterResister wrote: As a dude who failed to get an entry in on time (my idea was an "Andrew Tate" business sim, I'm glad in retrospect that I didn't finish it, ugh), I'm really impressed by this year's slate.

I was deeply concerned when the number of submissions was far lower this year (probably due to AnimateArchive's shutdown) combined with the increase in the prize winnings, but everything worked out in the end. I'm also very happy that the original projects with a lot of effort behind them were the ones to be recognized, Dwarf Planet One and Orphanarium definitely deserved to win, congrats @Emrox and @Veinom. An off-site criticism that has been persistent is that NG can get too insular and that the contests have become more about nostalgia rather than creative pursuit, so having three new great Flash games to play is the boon of this competition.

I especially have to praise Orphanarium. It is a Flash game project back when Flash games were serious business, transported to the modern era.

May Ruffle improve forever more. Having Flash be picked back up will result in a new renaissance, I hope.

Also I do agree with the criticism that it mostly consists of nostalgia because looking at Tracies game, I played I liked a lot but is a little simple and short consisting of clicks, in my opinion there were more entries with more interesting mechanics like Shadow gauntlets where you hang on a rope and levels are puzzling and interesting, or Gloom where there is a 3D scenario and you eliminate targets and find objects in the way, these probably took more than 2 weeks to make, maybe months :v but Tracies game beat the two of them in Nostalgia for sure :V

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-16 18:07:43

At 5/16/24 05:40 PM, Alejandro-X-Azul wrote: Juts in case you didn’t know, Orphanarium is not new at all, it was made and publish like 4 or 3 years ago, the creator (veins) sells it for $2.50 in his home page, he just shared a copy of the game here but the original cost money, I liked the game but I just don’t get why reuse old stuff, is like having the creators of snail bob or fancy pants which were great old flash games present their games now xd.

In general the jam has allowed for projects that have been in the works for a long time (to encourage finishing projects that might have died with Flash) but next year we'll introduce a rule that your project has to be published for the first time after the start of the jam, to avoid this sort of scenario.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-17 00:58:38

I have enjoyed an Egypt game made by SomeDoodles, it deserved 3rd place and even more. Congrats to the rest of the winners!

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-17 11:14:17

Wow I had not even played the Dwarf Planet One but I tried it now and glad it won, what a beautiful game. And I'm glad people liked our very rushed little game, I was still kind of recovering from Ludum Dare the weekend before but wanted to put at least something together, the little toaster cobcris made was too cute not to haha. Was a fun event again, thanks to everyone who made it happen! :)

Response to Flash Forward 2024 Winners! 2024-05-17 15:34:41

well done to all the creators in the jam! its always great to see new Flash games, new ideas, and new people joining the fray! this jam is one of the ones I look forward to the most out of any in the year, and I hope to see more participants in the upcoming years!

cheers!!!

- GDA