00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Inkolypso just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Can i remake an old game on newgrounds?

138 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Basically I want to make a remake a game on newgrounds, the game is about two decades old and the developer for it hasn't made a new game in about a decade aswell, and hasnt been online for about the same time. If i were to add new stuff and give credits could I do this or no? I couldn't find any explicit rules about this so any help would be appreciated.

Response to Can i remake an old game on newgrounds? 2024-05-14 14:12:06

I don't think you can remake the exact same game but I think if you make a "spiritual successor" where things are different enough to be able to tell that it's not an exact clone of the game, you should be fine.

I've seen plenty of games that resemble a well-known game (e.g. DDR) on newgrounds, but they're all different enough from each other that they're not the same, even if the core mechanic is literally the same.

By "different enough" here, I mean sometimes even changing the art (and/or including art style) and music is enough.

But this is probably erring on the side of caution. I've seen games that were made as parodies of existing games that had almost the exact same art style and so on, and it was fine. Personally I think based on what you described, you should be good, but if you really want to make sure you can PM a portal mod.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature