00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

OreoToonz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

have you ever played a lost or shutdown game?

629 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

i know i just brought up games that people have lost, but what about the ones you lost that weren't your fault? did your favorite online world get shut down? the flash shutdown rendered it lost media? was there a superior, earlier version of a game that you were forced to update out of? maybe you just wanna bring up stopkillinggames.com. whatever it is, let everyone know!

iu_1203236_10924059.gif

I was a closed beta tester for an mmo called fer.al. it was made by the same people who made animal jam, and if you aren't familiar with animal jam it's a kids mmo where you can customize your own animal and talk to people. it's a lot like club penguin

fer.al was essentially animal jam but meant for an older audience and focused on mythical creatures instead of real life animals. the game left closed beta and let everyone make an account but it never technically released in full to my memory? it was under early access or something.

it wasn't profitable and eventually the company behind it shut it down to make cinder.. which was, I kid you not the same game but you could only play as one race and needed to buy an nft to play it. I think there's some sort of rewritten project around it but I haven't looked into it

"president obama was constantly chewing gum, and then on top of that he took it out of his mouth, PUT IT BACK, YOU CANT DO IT ITS DIGUSTING."

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-13 14:20:20

PVZ Adventures, it was the real PVZ2, it changed the formula in a good way and was fun, except that you need to bribe facebook friends to even progress each world...

Take it with a grain of salt, I am slower than a snail.

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-13 14:29:08

At 5/13/24 02:20 PM, Drazah wrote: PVZ Adventures, it was the real PVZ2, it changed the formula in a good way and was fun, except that you need to bribe facebook friends to even progress each world...

I WASNT EVEN THINKING ABOUT FACEBOOK GAMES WHEN I MADE THIS POST.. pet society was my first game shutdown heartbreak. it was just another little game where you took care of a pet and dressed it up and such but it was always the best one of its type that came from Facebook. it was the reason why I made a Facebook account as a kid, and the weirdest thing was it shut down really early in its life. Like, way way before flash support ended

"president obama was constantly chewing gum, and then on top of that he took it out of his mouth, PUT IT BACK, YOU CANT DO IT ITS DIGUSTING."

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-13 18:25:32

While not technically a game, Disney Create was the first kids’ website I used that I saw get shut down. It’s an app now I think.

On the plus side, Coolmath brought back one of my favorite old Flash games recently. It took them a while to recover it, I think because it was 3D and didn’t run very well on Ruffle (so they used a different emulator).

I also remember Rinmaru Games (of Mega Anime Avatar Creator fame) shutting down entirely after the news of Flash expiring. Doll Divine archives all of the stuff from the site now, but it still felt like the end of an era lol.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 01:15:24

I did play something similar to what you're referring to. I did recently play some apks of mobile games because they weren't on Google play anymore.

iu_1203480_21422915.webp

The game on the top right corner is called bean dreams btw

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 01:43:25

iu_1203486_2939046.jpg

I don't even like Sims Games... but when you add an online multiplayer element to it, it becomes something amazing.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Super Mario Bros. 35. The SMB1 but battle royale made for Mario's 35th anniversary. Probably my favorite out of the "99" series of games. It was very simple and didn't have much to offer but it was part of the Nintendo Switch Online subscribtion so it didn't need that much content. Too bad it was available for only like half a year.I still have it in my Switch library.

iu_1203537_8460620.webp

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 07:36:45

I remember playing a lot of OG Angry Birds games when i was younger :( Angry Birds Stella and Angry Birds go were BY FAR my favourites, and its a shame i cant find them anymore tbh.... (although, do they actually really count as lost? Or am i missing smth?? IIRC those games were taken down from the stores all of the sudden but it has been a while and i cant quite remember if they came back or not, so in that case lmk AEUGH)

Im that one bitch of the backflips

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 08:37:01

Knockout City - Unsure what went "wrong" with this game other than that they tried for an e-sports angle for a game that didn't have the community to sustain it. Code for banners in the game showed that they did a ton of outreach and collabs with content creators, they had trailers prior to the early access launch at large events. They did collabs with other games and properties too (like a whole season dedicated to the Ninja Turtles). The game itself was pretty fun, ran well, and while I didn't play it extensively, I had no problems with bugs or cheaters. But people just didn't stick around. They played it for a bit and then went on to play something else.

Obulis - A puzzle game I bought fairly early on after getting Steam. I actually found out it was removed from the store purely by accident, and honestly good riddance. The game itself is a lazy mobile port with horrible controls and I wasn't impressed with the puzzle design either. None of you are missing out.

Moirai - A weird experimental little game where a rural community gets shaken up by a gruesome murder, which you're tasked to investigate. It's basically a single-player game with some multi-player elements, but it incorporates those in a very cool and original way. It got shut down after a severe hacking attack basically blew up the servers. I believe the dev is working on a reboot of some kind though, so this one may not be lost media forever.

FarmVille and Mafia Wars - Flash-based browser games on Facebook that mostly innovated in ways to nickle-and-dime their players at every turn. Just embarrassing.

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 10:07:11

GameGlobe. It was a 3D browser game maker engine probably made as a direct response to Project Spark & LittleBigPlanet. I had a ton of fun making little 3D platformers until one day it was just gone. Speaking of, LittleBigPlanet is a game I played a ton for years until LBPKarting and LBP3 were such omega shitshows that I had to just move on. The servers shut down about a month ago due to Sony servers being about as secure as a seethrough curtain and it was less work to just shut it down than get better security measures. Literal millions of levels gone. Ah well most of it was copypasted survivals and clout farming anyway lmfao. The spiritual successor Dreams is still alive but the studio had to drop support in 2023 so it's only a matter of time before that one dies too.

It's no secret that I love "Make it yourself" games. So it always bums me out when one pops up and dies for whatever reason behind the scenes.

Fuck you give me money!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 11:26:40

At 5/14/24 01:43 AM, 5ERGEI wrote:
I don't even like Sims Games... but when you add an online multiplayer element to it, it becomes something amazing.

That guy on the center left looks so cartoonishly evil, I love the design lmao

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 15:40:12

Little BIG Planet? Miniclip? Club Penguin?

Yeah. Those losses hurt.

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 17:15:45

i still play all the old lego flash games when the website still had flash games on them. i dont know if it really counts as "lost" since theyre all archived and backed up on some website but as far as the lego group is concerned theyre lost

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 17:36:00

I have this big collection of Game Maker games I've been collecting since 2009 that is slowly becoming incompatible with each new release of Windows.

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 17:41:48

I subtitle Ross Scott's videos occasionally.

I enjoyed the stupidity that was Tactical Intervention. Source jank + vehicles and gimmicks in a CS wrapper.

I too played Moirai, it was a fun experiment with some anecdotal stories, but probably good they closed it down out of privacy concerns.

And I suppose it's not exactly lost, but since it's delisted, the original 3D era of GTA games. Who the fuck wants to play that "remastered" slop unless they're a philistine that needs the shiniest prettiest most modern graphics (even if the style sucks complete dog bollocks)?

Very few of the obscure games I play are gone permanently thanks to the permanent archival nature of the internet, but these were high profile games through official channels that are difficult or near impossible to play now.

Jerma985's subtitle editor.

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 18:13:33

fuckin McWorld. Y'all remember McWorld? McDonalds made an MMO where you got codes from their happy meal toys to get rewards in game to forget about the violent diarrhea you are experiencing due to eating McDonalds. Lil me loved that game and i get nostalgic for the game even as an adult realizing how doodoo horseshit Mcdonalds is.

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 19:50:55

I miss bearville...i absolutely adored it as a kid, even more than games like club penguin...

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 20:37:01

At 5/14/24 06:13 PM, Dreamcastian-Turnip wrote: fuckin McWorld. Y'all remember McWorld? McDonalds made an MMO where you got codes from their happy meal toys to get rewards in game to forget about the violent diarrhea you are experiencing due to eating McDonalds. Lil me loved that game and i get nostalgic for the game even as an adult realizing how doodoo horseshit Mcdonalds is.

I MISS MCWORLD SO MUCH. the lack of surviving content from mcworld makes it hurt even more. I finally get to use this meme I made months ago and never have an opportunity to send

iu_1203809_10924059.webp

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 20:49:03

well I've played the 3ds Pokemon games and the online system is shutdown now, if that counts?

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 20:53:16

same bro.

had a bunch of demos on my DS becuase I welp didnt have money and now my demo data aint ever gonna port over and god knows how expensive old DS games are.

nintendo badge arcade is perma lost tho. Probably anyways along with Face Raider and idk if you count the Mii plaza stuff

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-14 23:04:56

Oh, so many. Kartridge was a very shortlived platform, and I basically only used it for Swords & Souls: Neverseen, but I can't play anything on it anymore. What's that? Neverseen is on Steam too? Yeah I know, but I don't want to buy it all over again lol.

On a more permanently lost note, does anyone know the story of why the Crypt Shyfter games all got taken down from everywhere? Those were great. I've exchanged a few words with the author in the past and he seemed like a fun guy.

Oh yeah, and Mabinogi Duel. One of the few TCGs that I actually liked the campaign mode. The servers got permanently shut down for poorly explained reasons, to much dismay of the fanbase.

And that isn't even getting into the games that were abandoned mid-development...

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-15 00:21:12

I miss TDP4.. I know that its a pay-to-win game, but I spent a lot of time playing it back then as a kid.

yes

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-15 05:29:04

I do remember this game called MetalStorm that I used to have on my Ipad WAY back in the day. I can find footage online, but I remember at one point the game stopped working for me and I never played it again after that. Not sure if it still exists :p

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SAYtLnPsg9g/T4B_XOUdrDI/AAAAAAAALWs/q-47EKBiqvU/s640/IMG_0071.PNG

shit was the bomb

if its boeing i aint going

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-15 09:34:10

I was one of the many people who grew up with Club Penguin, and while it may not be the best looking back with how much was tied to memberships, I still remember enjoying it as a stupid little kid. I also remember Club Penguin Island happening and I didn't even get to try it before it got shut down.

Another that's more recent and, while it hasn't happened yet, the absolutely amazing game Hi-Fi Rush is getting removed next year due to the studio, Tango Gameworks getting killed by Microsoft for... some reason. I genuinely love this game, this was my GOTY last year and now it's getting removed because Microsoft decided why not.

And there is one game that I genuinely don't remember one thing about but I remember playing it. It was this old kids MMO where I remember enjoying it but then it shut down shortly after I started playing. I wish I could give more but I genuinely don't remember anything at all about the game except that I played it and then it shut down.

sorry i'm here, i'm busy doing absolutely nothing at all...

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-15 09:43:20

At 5/14/24 06:13 PM, Dreamcastian-Turnip wrote: fuckin McWorld. Y'all remember McWorld? McDonalds made an MMO where you got codes from their happy meal toys to get rewards in game to forget about the violent diarrhea you are experiencing due to eating McDonalds. Lil me loved that game and i get nostalgic for the game even as an adult realizing how doodoo horseshit Mcdonalds is.

This post made me remember the name of the game. I vaguely remember playing a game that looked like it, and I could not remember what it was called lol.

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-15 12:03:14

There are very bad people that manipulate online video games to only entertain themselves and to rob players of real world money. I would go a step further and ask for a full code release to allow forks of these games to continue under different stewardships to prevent this sort of thing.

While not an exact sample: ToonTown Online is still thriving under different stewardships after disney discontinued the game.

BBS Signature

PUBG Lite. My PC wasn't good enough at the time to run the normal PUBG (plus, Lite was free..) so I played quite a bit of Lite.

It was pretty fun but they eventually shut it down because reasons. Now PUBG is free and my PC is good enough to play it but I've moved on.

A bit of a success story though: BOTS by Acclaim Games -- that game was shut down a long time ago, but it was revived by a third party later on. Unfortunately though there aren't any players, so...

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-15 13:50:11

This game was one of my first experiences with online multiplayer. The game is still playable in singleplayer but it's not the same.

Magical Drop V is also a game I played, shut down cause it was a buggy mess.

For a more recent example, there's Super Bomberman R Online. That game was technically the first time I played as a Fall Guy (since it released before Fall Guys was on the Switch/playable on Linux/F2P). I heard the main gamemode in this game (and the Fall Guy Bomber) is in Super Bomberman R2 so you could say this game does live on, just in a different form.

A socially awkward goof | Takes forever to reply to things | Posts drawings sometimes

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-15 17:39:35

iu_1204304_11413315.png

Yeah Manyland it was an mmo metaverse chat room platformer that got shut down.

It was an artist’s paradise you could draw anything and animate it and give it properties and functionality in just a few clicks.

You could even make your own levels. And place creations and objects down almost anywhere in the main hub from your creation inventory. The only downsides were latency issues, and it crashed constantly, the game play was also super clunky too, but I really loved the concept anyway!

I made my oc Keith with lots of wacky animated emotes. And made a massive hub world called Pixel’s cyber space base.

It combined a few of the best levels I made in platform racing 2, that I remade in-game.

I really miss it but good thing I screen capped an entire video of my world before it went offline, if you’re interested you motivate me to upload it to Youtube. Once I finally stop procrastinating and record myself on mic.

I even uploaded some art inspired by the goofy emotes that I made here on newgrounds.

I make comics checkout my Shuttle Switcher comic series ! And Ghost Galaxy as well!

BBS Signature

Response to have you ever played a lost or shutdown game? 2024-05-15 21:01:45

Digimon Re:arise. It had a gacha which is a little lame but the rest of the game was so fucking fun and cool. I loved the events you could win digimon through them. Im so sad it got shut down :-((