00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Crypticfauna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Godot Learning Resources

279 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Godot Learning Resources 2024-04-05 12:38:38

Greetings everyone! Since I got free time this spring, I would love to learn game development!

Right now, I'm thinking of doing a simple 2d game, nothing too complicated. I'm using Godot engine, and I'm pretty new to GDScript. I'm not the type to watch hour long videos, so the Havard course Godot recommended me will not help me learn.

I'm not completely new to programing, I still have some experience in that, since I learned how to code in Python and HTML back in school. I just need some kind of cheat sheets, specific tutorials (such as "Moving a Sprite" and "How to add a Menu" instead of geneal hour long tutorials) and fast-paced videos on GDScript, (Hint: Im a fast learner) and I will actually go on to develop a game!

Thanks!

Response to Godot Learning Resources 2024-04-05 23:45:20

Depends on what you mean when you say you're not the type to watch hour long videos --

If you mean that you prefer text instead of videos, so do I and I hated the fact that everyone just makes videos, so I made a pure text tutorial / walkthrough describing how I made a simple Godot gamejam game that seemed like it would teach a lot of fundamentals to someone who has read the Godot docs and their simple Dodge The Creeps game and wants something a little more in-depth covering a more fleshed-out but still small game. It's kinda dated since it was written with Godot 3 instead of Godot 4, but you really should use Godot 3 to make web games because Godot 3's web exports are compatible with anything while Godot 4 web exports currently can't run on Apple devices. And TBH there's nothing Godot 4 can do that Godot 3 can't unless you're doing stuff that's way beyond anything you'll see on Newgrounds.

If you mean that you don't want to spend an hour to learn how to game dev... well... good luck with that.

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to Godot Learning Resources 2024-04-06 11:26:38

At 4/5/24 11:45 PM, 3p0ch wrote: Depends on what you mean when you say you're not the type to watch hour long videos --

If you mean that you prefer text instead of videos, so do I and I hated the fact that everyone just makes videos, so I made a pure text tutorial / walkthrough describing how I made a simple Godot gamejam game that seemed like it would teach a lot of fundamentals to someone who has read the Godot docs and their simple Dodge The Creeps game and wants something a little more in-depth covering a more fleshed-out but still small game. It's kinda dated since it was written with Godot 3 instead of Godot 4, but you really should use Godot 3 to make web games because Godot 3's web exports are compatible with anything while Godot 4 web exports currently can't run on Apple devices. And TBH there's nothing Godot 4 can do that Godot 3 can't unless you're doing stuff that's way beyond anything you'll see on Newgrounds.

If you mean that you don't want to spend an hour to learn how to game dev... well... good luck with that.

Thank you for the text tutorial! That's what I meant! The videos on YouTube don't help alot, (expect of the fast-paced ones) so I try to find some good resources but didn't find much.

Response to Godot Learning Resources 2024-04-11 15:42:29

At 4/5/24 12:38 PM, slothyykittee wrote: Greetings everyone! Since I got free time this spring, I would love to learn game development!

Right now, I'm thinking of doing a simple 2d game, nothing too complicated. I'm using Godot engine, and I'm pretty new to GDScript. I'm not the type to watch hour long videos, so the Havard course Godot recommended me will not help me learn.

I'm not completely new to programing, I still have some experience in that, since I learned how to code in Python and HTML back in school. I just need some kind of cheat sheets, specific tutorials (such as "Moving a Sprite" and "How to add a Menu" instead of geneal hour long tutorials) and fast-paced videos on GDScript, (Hint: Im a fast learner) and I will actually go on to develop a game!

Thanks!

Maybe this will help you:

https://www.gdquest.com/tutorial/godot/

Response to Godot Learning Resources 2024-04-12 00:18:51

At 4/5/24 12:38 PM, slothyykittee wrote: Greetings everyone! Since I got free time this spring, I would love to learn game development!

Thanks!

Gwizz is your solution. His videos are only a few minutes long and he covers almost everything. Try to use common sense when making your projects, and move slowly at the beginning and double check what you're doing so you don't screw yourself in the future by overcomplicating something early on. Try to build scalable code, things that fit into each other (Godot is great for this with the nodes, literally being able to make specific nodes for specific purposes, you can use blank nodes as folders or containers or script holders). Also, an important note, a node can only have one script attached. But it can have infinite children nodes! So make lots of individual nodes that have individual purposes, unless it is something you KNOW you are only going to use once.

Stress that stuff more or less, depending on the size of your project. Have fun and try out different things, try not to say "I'll never use that ever because it intimidates me" because often times the things you subconsciously wall off will become useful in the future. Holding shift allows you to check the dictionary while programming on some (but not all) stuff.

PM me if you have any sort of questions or need help, I've made a bit of stuff and my first small game demo on my profile using Godot. I can help with programming or asset creation or whatever, I'd love to work together on something. My strengths are Blender, Audio, and programming. I am also open to figuring new stuff out because I am young and anything can turn into a skill a couple years from now!

Response to Godot Learning Resources 2024-04-17 09:17:45

I'm currently learning Godot too, for a meme style game. I'm learning from a couple of 30 hour tutorials I bought on udemy for $15. defo worth the price, one of them is by a popular game dev tutorial team on the platform. Depending on your desires, you should also check out some books, as there is good books out there on how to create certain styles of game too, and extra things such as inventory systems.

Response to Godot Learning Resources 2024-04-18 12:11:30

Thanks!

As someone who recently made a game in Godot and also has prior game dev experience, i can say that you don't need much past a one hour "get started" video that explains the interface and basic ideas about composition and what not. Once you get that down, the "cheat sheet" stuff is just literally go to youtube and type "Godot how to ....." I dont suggest sticking to any particular course or anything, just search exactly what you need and there will be a dozen videos on it, pick one that appeals to you

Response to Godot Learning Resources 2024-04-18 19:28:05

Thanks!

This is the Best Udemy course I found https://www.udemy.com/course/create-a-complete-2d-arena-survival-roguelike-game-in-godot-4/?couponCode=ST7MT41824

I'm a long time programmer and this is the only Instructor in Udemy so far that knows what's he's doing.

If you can get it, do it, try with the sale coupon.

Bests

Response to Godot Learning Resources 2024-04-29 22:10:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOhfqjmasi0

Brakeys "How to make a game in godot" is good