00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StrokeitKurt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

what makes art “angst art?”

237 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-20 12:28:28

ive seen some art labeled angsty that deals with dark themes and sad shit. is angsty just another word for art with negative emotions? or is it something else?

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-20 13:08:11

At 3/20/24 12:28 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: ive seen some art labeled angsty that deals with dark themes and sad shit. is angsty just another word for art with negative emotions? or is it something else?

Ig it kind of depends on the context the person is using it. Like in fanfiction angst can just be like something thats sad or makes you go "awww :(". Kind of like "poor baby" stuff. But for art it can range from vent art to art including sad themes. I think angst is mainly sad, makes you feel bad for the character in question or portrays sadness mostly. Ofc angst can include anger or other emotions but from my experience its typically an underlying sadness or empathy for the character in question. Not necessarily every negative emotion is angsty, I think angst is something thats just meant to make you go aww :( or feel bad for the person/character.

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-20 13:43:58

At 3/20/24 01:08 PM, Inksmudge wrote:
At 3/20/24 12:28 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: ive seen some art labeled angsty that deals with dark themes and sad shit. is angsty just another word for art with negative emotions? or is it something else?
Ig it kind of depends on the context the person is using it. Like in fanfiction angst can just be like something thats sad or makes you go "awww :(". Kind of like "poor baby" stuff. But for art it can range from vent art to art including sad themes. I think angst is mainly sad, makes you feel bad for the character in question or portrays sadness mostly. Ofc angst can include anger or other emotions but from my experience its typically an underlying sadness or empathy for the character in question. Not necessarily every negative emotion is angsty, I think angst is something thats just meant to make you go aww :( or feel bad for the person/character.

so its sympathy art?

BBS Signature

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-20 23:59:35

At 3/20/24 01:43 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:
At 3/20/24 01:08 PM, Inksmudge wrote:
so its sympathy art?

In my personal experience thats probably how id define it, though its kind of hard to fully pinpoint because everyone might have a different idea of it. For example angst can be a character going through trauma or having ptsd, as it makes you feel bad for what the character is going through, or it can simply be a character sad that their crush doesnt like them back. Kind of just depends if you feel its angsty ig

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-21 04:30:47

I always took angst to mean like an edgy defiance against authority.

If someone made a drawing of their OC beating a politician to death I'd label that 'angsty'

tries too hard to be edgy and is blocked by many because he acts rude towards others to feel better about himself.

BBS Signature

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-21 19:13:04

I'd say the depiction of angst isn't as central to it as the feelings of angst the artist is going through while making it. I've depicted angst while being personally fine, and it takes on a sort of comical vibe because of how angst is often such a childish and self-indulgent reaction to the ways of the world.

I'm perhaps no longer capable of making true angst art because I'd find it too embarrassing to make, let alone post. Most of my anxiety and anguish is managed well enough that I can't wallow in it like I could as a teenager.

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-21 21:33:34

At 3/21/24 07:13 PM, Skoops wrote: I'd say the depiction of angst isn't as central to it as the feelings of angst the artist is going through while making it. I've depicted angst while being personally fine, and it takes on a sort of comical vibe because of how angst is often such a childish and self-indulgent reaction to the ways of the world.

I'm perhaps no longer capable of making true angst art because I'd find it too embarrassing to make, let alone post. Most of my anxiety and anguish is managed well enough that I can't wallow in it like I could as a teenager.

That's why you don't wallow in it. You devour your own negative energy and become inspired/energized. Emotions are the primary fuel for the creation of art. But yet again this coming from me a whack job that likes to draw negative stuff.

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-21 22:34:08

At 3/21/24 09:33 PM, Dolorious wrote:
At 3/21/24 07:13 PM, Skoops wrote: I'd say the depiction of angst isn't as central to it as the feelings of angst the artist is going through while making it. I've depicted angst while being personally fine, and it takes on a sort of comical vibe because of how angst is often such a childish and self-indulgent reaction to the ways of the world.

That's why you don't wallow in it. You devour your own negative energy and become inspired/energized. Emotions are the primary fuel for the creation of art. But yet again this coming from me a whack job that likes to draw negative stuff.

Oh, it's not that I can't channel negative emotion into art, it's angst in particular that I think people eventually grow up and stop feeling so much. Angst is very much a directionless, shapeless, wallowing thing; it can't be excised and banished into a drawing because if the angst-holder understood the nature of their own angst, it wouldn't be angst. It'd be sadness or anger or one of those emotions that adults have.

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-22 06:47:52

If it was created while the artist was full of feelings of angst.

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-22 14:37:47

if it’s made by a counter strike go player with divorced parents then it’s angst

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-22 15:07:00

I guess it depends on themes and intent. I would consider any art piece with angsty themes as angst art but most people don't. What most people consider angst art is basically vent art that they made to deal with something that's going on in their life. This mostly done by teenagers and tend to be either very on the nose or needlessly edgy with serious topics handled poorly that the artist probably isn't dealing with. If the art has angsty themes but is handled well most people won't even consider it angst art, even if it is made with the same intent as the angsty teen artists. So it really is a matter of execution rather than just being angsty.

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-22 20:34:44

At 3/22/24 03:07 PM, Artcompany wrote: I guess it depends on themes and intent. I would consider any art piece with angsty themes as angst art but most people don't. What most people consider angst art is basically vent art that they made to deal with something that's going on in their life. This mostly done by teenagers and tend to be either very on the nose or needlessly edgy with serious topics handled poorly that the artist probably isn't dealing with. If the art has angsty themes but is handled well most people won't even consider it angst art, even if it is made with the same intent as the angsty teen artists. So it really is a matter of execution rather than just being angsty.

so angst art is vent art but edgelordy?

BBS Signature

Response to what makes art “angst art?” 2024-03-23 18:04:46

At 3/22/24 08:34 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:
At 3/22/24 03:07 PM, Artcompany wrote: I guess it depends on themes and intent. I would consider any art piece with angsty themes as angst art but most people don't. What most people consider angst art is basically vent art that they made to deal with something that's going on in their life. This mostly done by teenagers and tend to be either very on the nose or needlessly edgy with serious topics handled poorly that the artist probably isn't dealing with. If the art has angsty themes but is handled well most people won't even consider it angst art, even if it is made with the same intent as the angsty teen artists. So it really is a matter of execution rather than just being angsty.
so angst art is vent art but edgelordy?

pretty much