00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

rydnrofl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Recommendations for Art Tablet and Programs compared to Procreate

100 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I currently use my old ipad and procreate to produce my art but I've noticed that it's started to freeze up/not responding on certain areas of my tablet. So I have been passively looking at other options.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what programs and or art tablets they use. I did buy Paint Tool Sai years ago but I would prefer to have something similar to the XP Pen Tablet in terms of drawing directly on the surface vs on a tablet but staring at my desktop screen if that makes sense?

I use a cheap non-screen Huion and Krita.

For recs it really doesn't matter, get whatever fits your needs and budget. If you work on PC then any screen model from the big 3 (Wacom, Huion, XP). If you prefer working on the toilet then any iPad/Android pad that supports stylus features. Apps literally whatever's available on your platform.

I cannot say what to buy, but I am going to say what NOT to buy.

The corporate over-hyped and overpriced BS that Adobe and Wacom are. And no, I am not a haters-gonna-hate person, I am someone, who daily basis works with those and I can say every alternative there is as good if not better. Adobe is bad - resource heavy and program has not got any factual upgrades since they implemented LUT support ~5 years ago or so. Absolute bonkers of a s*** that modern Photoshop.

Wacom products are good and reliable, but you get migraine trying to sort the driver issues every time your windows does an update. And as good as Wacom stuff is - buy something else. Huion is probably as good and a lot cheaper.

Look around read reviews,but stay away from those 2 companies.

Wacom products are good and reliable, but you get migraine trying to sort the driver issues every time your windows does an update.

This is not entirely true. I never had a problem with the drivers after Windows update (I'm using Win 10).

BBS Signature

At 3/19/24 09:22 PM, Czyszy wrote: This is not entirely true. I never had a problem with the drivers after Windows update (I'm using Win 10).

"I never had problems, this it is not true despite internet being full of people, who do."

Windows updates on certain windows licenses reset settings which people may have done to suppress/alter windows ink settings - most times main cause to pen pressure problems with Cintiq HD (and some other Wacom tablets)

Windows on its own may not be an issue - depending of your drawing software and windows ink interference with its not being as strong.

Since my windows comes just with OS, I have no problems anymore either, but both Enterprise and Home users have reported enough issues on Microsoft and Wacom feeds. Adobe forums are also full of people, who dread either wacom or windows updates.

I am using win 10 LTS which and it is only windows version i stopped having win ink problems since I do not have windows ink ever installed begin with

Long story short - people are better off buying something equally good, but much cheaper. Plenty of products in market. I do not see what edge Wacom has nowadays anymore other than being a brand with extra cost.

At 3/19/24 04:04 PM, Tenebrare wrote: I cannot say what to buy, but I am going to say what NOT to buy.

The corporate over-hyped and overpriced BS that Adobe and Wacom are. And no, I am not a haters-gonna-hate person, I am someone, who daily basis works with those and I can say every alternative there is as good if not better. Adobe is bad - resource heavy and program has not got any factual upgrades since they implemented LUT support ~5 years ago or so. Absolute bonkers of a s*** that modern Photoshop.

Wacom products are good and reliable, but you get migraine trying to sort the driver issues every time your windows does an update. And as good as Wacom stuff is - buy something else. Huion is probably as good and a lot cheaper.

Look around read reviews,but stay away from those 2 companies.

For sure! I agree I am probably stay within the realm of tablets that give a direct feed since I like to draw away from my PC at times. Thank you!

If you want hundreds of answers that have already been given to this question, give the search function a whirl. Tablet and program inquiries are among the most commonly asked things on the forum.

While searching, you might find that I consistently recommend larger drawing spaces, either screen or non-screen, to allow for fuller arm movement, that Huion and XP Pen are usually decent substitutes for Wacom, that CSP is as good as Photoshop in some ways and better in others, etc.