00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

rydnrofl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you get commissions here?

190 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-18 13:04:52

Hello there! I am Sirius, and I've been advertising my commissions here on NG for a while now, but I don't know how to get new commissioners in here, or really what kind of niche I should go to; I've asked people before why I haven't been getting commissions, and most of them said it's because I have too much going on, but I don't know how to focus on one thing at a time, ngl XD

Also, I don't know how the algorithm (idk if it even exists here) works, like how do you connect with other people quite honestly. I did get commissions at the price of bananas for a year, then started going for the rightful price 2 months ago. Any opinions are more than appreciated! If you want to see more of my work on my main acc, my instagram is seriousdoodles :Diu_1177000_20908684.webpiu_1177001_20908684.webp

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-18 13:24:37

There isn’t really any algorithm here on Newgrounds. You’ll probably get more followers here based on how often you post art and when. The more followers you have, the greater chance some of those followers become your clients. That’s just my assumption.

OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-18 13:30:21

At 3/18/24 01:24 PM, OviManic wrote: There isn’t really any algorithm here on Newgrounds. You’ll probably get more followers here based on how often you post art and when. The more followers you have, the greater chance some of those followers become your clients. That’s just my assumption.

Oh, I see! Thank you very much mate :D I was starting to get anxious since no one wanted commissions over here and was starting to get anxious

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-19 05:17:31

At 3/18/24 01:30 PM, SiriusWolfgang wrote:
At 3/18/24 01:24 PM, OviManic wrote: There isn’t really any algorithm here on Newgrounds. You’ll probably get more followers here based on how often you post art and when. The more followers you have, the greater chance some of those followers become your clients. That’s just my assumption.
Oh, I see! Thank you very much mate :D I was starting to get anxious since no one wanted commissions over here and was starting to get anxious

Interact more with people! that'll help to get more people to notice your art, therefore, making it more likely for someone to want to buy something from ya.

(・∀・)

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-19 05:35:49

At 3/18/24 01:30 PM, SiriusWolfgang wrote: I was starting to get anxious since no one wanted commissions over here and was starting to get anxious

Says you've been here for less than two months; a bit early for getting anxious, innit? Maybe you're setting your expectations a little too high.

Your main two options here:

-Make a news post about open commissions (you can choose to have one front-paged once every two weeks)

-Post art that's good enough to be frontpaged by mods (that could happen once per day max) and put your commission info in the Commentary section of each of your art portal submissions. Since there's no algorithm to game, you can only get art frontpaged through merit and a little luck.

In general, trying to attract commissions is like herding cats. If all you want is fame and money, you'll get neither. Just carry on improving your craft and produce work as if you're already full up on jobs. Be your own client until you get a nibble.

At 3/18/24 01:04 PM, SiriusWolfgang wrote: Hello there! I am Sirius, and I've been advertising my commissions here on NG for a while now, but I don't know how to get new commissioners in here, or really what kind of niche I should go to; I've asked people before why I haven't been getting commissions, and most of them said it's because I have too much going on, but I don't know how to focus on one thing at a time, ngl XD
Also, I don't know how the algorithm (idk if it even exists here) works, like how do you connect with other people quite honestly. I did get commissions at the price of bananas for a year, then started going for the rightful price 2 months ago. Any opinions are more than appreciated! If you want to see more of my work on my main acc, my instagram is seriousdoodles :D

Howdy ! Firstly, I wanted to say that your art is amazing, I really like it. As other people said, having an [ active ] fanbase is the main thing to count on if you want to get commissioned.

I checked your Carrd & I think what could help would be to make a list of things you can / are willing to draw & not. It helps commissioners ( who aren't forcefully one of your followers ) to choose what artist they want to commission.

You should also create a refund policy. Commissioners tend to trust artists less when they ask for full payment beforehand. Considering all the awful experiences you can read online from commissioners who got ghosted after paying ( sometimes half the price of the average income ) & who got censored by the scammer's audience after calling out their scam.. I honestly think that setting a way for commissioners to get refunded in case you cannot finish an artwork would be the best.

I hope that I helped !

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-19 13:33:48

At 3/19/24 11:20 AM, EucalyptusSoldier wrote: You should also create a refund policy. Commissioners tend to trust artists less when they ask for full payment beforehand. Considering all the awful experiences you can read online from commissioners who got ghosted after paying ( sometimes half the price of the average income ) & who got censored by the scammer's audience after calling out their scam.. I honestly think that setting a way for commissioners to get refunded in case you cannot finish an artwork would be the best.

As a second, not totally contrary opinion, charging full price up front is fully justified and refunds should only be offered in instances of failure to deliver, not failure to satisfy. Be very careful with your wording if you don't want to suffer some mind numbingly stupid abuse.

Artists have a consistent reputation to build and uphold; clients do not. The likelihood of the artist getting scammed are orders of magnitude higher than the other way around, so even if you want to accommodate skittish clients don't bend over backwards too far.

At 3/19/24 01:33 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/19/24 11:20 AM, EucalyptusSoldier wrote: You should also create a refund policy. Commissioners tend to trust artists less when they ask for full payment beforehand. Considering all the awful experiences you can read online from commissioners who got ghosted after paying ( sometimes half the price of the average income ) & who got censored by the scammer's audience after calling out their scam.. I honestly think that setting a way for commissioners to get refunded in case you cannot finish an artwork would be the best.
As a second, not totally contrary opinion, charging full price up front is fully justified and refunds should only be offered in instances of failure to deliver, not failure to satisfy. Be very careful with your wording if you don't want to suffer some mind numbingly stupid abuse.

Artists have a consistent reputation to build and uphold; clients do not. The likelihood of the artist getting scammed are orders of magnitude higher than the other way around, so even if you want to accommodate skittish clients don't bend over backwards too far.

Yeah, sorry. I'm not that good at wording things. I do ask for charging full price up front myself, but from what I read commissioners tend to avoid artists who ask for payment upfront. That's why I think it's more advantageous / reassuring to have a refund policy for specific circumstances.

Though, I saw many times in front of my eyes artists ghosting their clients right after they paid but still accepting commissions & drawing other things. Some of them even started to harass & to send their fanbase to witch-hunt commissioners who call them out on scamming. I know that artists often get scammed, but I feel like the other way around is more common than we believe & isn't called out enough in the art community.

BBS Signature

Honestly I just don't think there are too many users here who are actively looking for artists to commission. We are a small community, and many of us here are artists ourselves, and don't have much of a need for paid services from another artist. We see more collaborations and trades and such around here. When I do see artists posting commissions they've completed, I notice it is usually a piece they did for a client on Twitter or other social media.

I would suggest searching for commissioners in the furry fandom instead, where artists are in higher demand. Even then it is not easy. Most of the successful freelance artists I have seen are those who have built up a dedicated following of fans, who expect a specific type of content from them. You might have more luck specializing than as a generalist. But I only recommend doing that if you have a specific interest that you are passionate enough about, that you would enjoy catering to it specifically.

Also as a furry artist, it would be beneficial to have Telegram as a second means of contact along with Discord. It is the most popular messaging app for furries, and you can also create your own channel, to post your art and advertise commissions to your followers directly.

I've heard streaming your drawing process on Picarto is a good way to engage with your audience, too. A lot of commissioners like the personal interaction of being able to communicate with their artist in real time as they work. I don't think I could handle that myself personally though, it seems it would be stressful to be under that kind of scrutiny.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-21 21:08:15

At 3/19/24 01:33 PM, Skoops wrote:

I see! I get what you mean for sure (btw, sorry for the late reply, I was too busy these days and forgot of this website for a bit), and ngl I think I will offer this policy, but it's just as you said, some headaches can happen, so I will choose my words carefully. I mostly did this policy because of a client who asked for a refund after I've done the lineart, and I gave him the refund because he was being disprespectful and I just wanted to be over with him. Imma try that, thank you!

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-21 21:10:08

At 3/19/24 11:20 AM, EucalyptusSoldier wrote:
At 3/18/24 01:04 PM, SiriusWolfgang wrote: Hello there! I am Sirius, and I've been advertising my commissions here on NG for a while now, but I don't know how to get new commissioners in here, or really what kind of niche I should go to; I've asked people before why I haven't been getting commissions, and most of them said it's because I have too much going on, but I don't know how to focus on one thing at a time, ngl XD
Also, I don't know how the algorithm (idk if it even exists here) works, like how do you connect with other people quite honestly. I did get commissions at the price of bananas for a year, then started going for the rightful price 2 months ago. Any opinions are more than appreciated! If you want to see more of my work on my main acc, my instagram is seriousdoodles :D
Howdy ! Firstly, I wanted to say that your art is amazing, I really like it. As other people said, having an [ active ] fanbase is the main thing to count on if you want to get commissioned.

I checked your Carrd & I think what could help would be to make a list of things you can / are willing to draw & not. It helps commissioners ( who aren't forcefully one of your followers ) to choose what artist they want to commission.

You should also create a refund policy. Commissioners tend to trust artists less when they ask for full payment beforehand. Considering all the awful experiences you can read online from commissioners who got ghosted after paying ( sometimes half the price of the average income ) & who got censored by the scammer's audience after calling out their scam.. I honestly think that setting a way for commissioners to get refunded in case you cannot finish an artwork would be the best.

I hope that I helped !

It will, thank you! I will add this to the carrd after I am done with my current commissions for sure ^^

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-21 21:11:03

At 3/19/24 05:17 AM, TheShokBlok wrote:
At 3/18/24 01:30 PM, SiriusWolfgang wrote:
Interact more with people! that'll help to get more people to notice your art, therefore, making it more likely for someone to want to buy something from ya.

I see! Imma do that, I normally keep stuff to myself, but online it's better to be more outspoken. Thank you mate :D

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-21 21:13:09

At 3/19/24 05:35 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/18/24 01:30 PM, SiriusWolfgang wrote: I was starting to get anxious since no one wanted commissions over here and was starting to get anxious
Says you've been here for less than two months; a bit early for getting anxious, innit? Maybe you're setting your expectations a little too high.

Your main two options here:
-Make a news post about open commissions (you can choose to have one front-paged once every two weeks)
-Post art that's good enough to be frontpaged by mods (that could happen once per day max) and put your commission info in the Commentary section of each of your art portal submissions. Since there's no algorithm to game, you can only get art frontpaged through merit and a little luck.

In general, trying to attract commissions is like herding cats. If all you want is fame and money, you'll get neither. Just carry on improving your craft and produce work as if you're already full up on jobs. Be your own client until you get a nibble.

I see, yeah maybe giving it more time is better. It's mostly because as of currently I can't get a job outside of my house (complicated stuff), and I am in dire need of money, so I am hunting for commissions, but being calm in this situation is better. I will heed your words, thank you!

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-21 21:16:42

At 3/19/24 06:43 PM, tydaze wrote: Honestly I just don't think there are too many users here who are actively looking for artists to commission. We are a small community, and many of us here are artists ourselves, and don't have much of a need for paid services from another artist. We see more collaborations and trades and such around here. When I do see artists posting commissions they've completed, I notice it is usually a piece they did for a client on Twitter or other social media.

I would suggest searching for commissioners in the furry fandom instead, where artists are in higher demand. Even then it is not easy. Most of the successful freelance artists I have seen are those who have built up a dedicated following of fans, who expect a specific type of content from them. You might have more luck specializing than as a generalist. But I only recommend doing that if you have a specific interest that you are passionate enough about, that you would enjoy catering to it specifically.

Also as a furry artist, it would be beneficial to have Telegram as a second means of contact along with Discord. It is the most popular messaging app for furries, and you can also create your own channel, to post your art and advertise commissions to your followers directly.

I've heard streaming your drawing process on Picarto is a good way to engage with your audience, too. A lot of commissioners like the personal interaction of being able to communicate with their artist in real time as they work. I don't think I could handle that myself personally though, it seems it would be stressful to be under that kind of scrutiny.

I see, I have been thinking about streaming for a while, but I don't know where to start with the assets, the lil character that moves when you talk, nor how to be captivating to your audience, but given time I will do that. Also, indeed I did heard telegram was one of the means of communication in the furry fandom, but never tried it for myself except for school projects. I will use it well, and also do an acc in Picarto, I kind of like people seeing my art process or just chilling while I draw with them. Thank you!

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-21 21:20:16

Cant wait to see your commissions you receive, you are a great artist

Borking My Jorking

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get commissions here? 2024-03-21 21:33:56

At 3/21/24 09:20 PM, Caniac77 wrote: Cant wait to see your commissions you receive, you are a great artist

Thank you! Hopefully I can finish the ones I have already, and just get more, I mean not really quantity of clients, but just comms that I can do more for fun as well and that will help me pay the bills XD