00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MC4HJW just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do you have any lines you can't pull off?

595 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So I wouldn't say I've been dipping my toes into voice acting per se, but I've started recording myself speak recently and I guess I found my voice, if that makes any sense.

I discovered my voice is a weird combination of warbly and yet soft-spoken - I really can't deliver confident, assertive or authoritative speech that sounds seamless or smooth.

Have you encountered this before? How have you dealt with it? What are some lines and phrases you don't quite mesh with?

Response to Do you have any lines you can't pull off? 2024-02-20 15:17:37

At 2/14/24 09:51 AM, TheBrother wrote: So I wouldn't say I've been dipping my toes into voice acting per se, but I've started recording myself speak recently and I guess I found my voice, if that makes any sense.

I discovered my voice is a weird combination of warbly and yet soft-spoken - I really can't deliver confident, assertive or authoritative speech that sounds seamless or smooth.

Have you encountered this before? How have you dealt with it? What are some lines and phrases you don't quite mesh with?

This is incredibly common for people just starting out in VA, it's completely normal to be weirded out by your own voice, or be too critical of it, thinking "that sounds strange" or "why doesn't it sound like x or y".

You've probably heard this a million times, but it really is true, practice, the more time you spend in VA the more comfortable with your own voice you'll be, and you'll find yourself unlocking more range and different voices.

I also suggest learning all the basic VA techniques, like projecting (using your diaphragm) clear and proper diction and pronunciation, etc...

Each of our voices is unique, and we should take advantage of our uniqueness :)

I love this site :)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you have any lines you can't pull off? 2024-02-20 21:30:20

It all starts with finding love for your own natural voice, then you can have more confidence and power in shaping your voice to suit a character. I speak from experience.

Listen to my latest video game music release! Windup & Pitch! If you wish! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you have any lines you can't pull off? 2024-02-22 13:51:08

At 2/20/24 03:17 PM, ZaazNG wrote:
This is incredibly common for people just starting out in VA, it's completely normal to be weirded out by your own voice, or be too critical of it, thinking "that sounds strange" or "why doesn't it sound like x or y".
You've probably heard this a million times, but it really is true, practice, the more time you spend in VA the more comfortable with your own voice you'll be, and you'll find yourself unlocking more range and different voices.
I also suggest learning all the basic VA techniques, like projecting (using your diaphragm) clear and proper diction and pronunciation, etc...
Each of our voices is unique, and we should take advantage of our uniqueness :)

I did actually end up figuring out why I was coming across strangely. It was a mindset thing. Like, I should know the context and significance of a line and how I, the speaker, should feel about that.

Definitely a big thanks for the advice though. To be honest, I don't actually hear enough advice from anyone. It seems like there's not a big community on voice acting discussion and critique. It also seems like most established VAs are only open to people for business purposes.

I guess this was me using a flare signal of sorts haha.

Response to Do you have any lines you can't pull off? 2024-02-22 14:05:14

At 2/20/24 09:30 PM, Jojo wrote: It all starts with finding love for your own natural voice, then you can have more confidence and power in shaping your voice to suit a character. I speak from experience.

Thank you for the encouragement! When you're having fun with your voice, it definitely makes all the difference.

Although, I haven't practiced much with nailing down a specific character's voice (I mostly improv my lines for now). I should see what I can do on that front, for sure.