00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Demons202 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help with copyright stuff

174 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Help with copyright stuff 2024-02-10 06:14:38

Hello everyone! I want to remix the song Red Sun in the Sky but I don't exactly know the copyright info...

I saw someone say that it technically doesn't belong to anyone, since the original is an old Chinese folk song, but on websites like Wikipedia, they state a composer. I think what they meant is the composer of the popular 1990s version...? But if I'm wrong and I post the remix, I'll get banned and I don't want that (duh)

Anyone can help?

Response to Help with copyright stuff 2024-02-10 07:54:01

There's 2 forms of copyright here, the copyright for the composition, and the copyright for the recording. A remix is litrally remixing someone else's copyrighted audio and you need permission for this. A cover is a recreation of a peice performed by some who isn't the original copyright holder, this is OK providing you're not commercially releasing the cover, because the original artist will own the publishing rights. If you're playing a cover at a venue, that venue will pay the PPL and the original composer will get royalties. You can post a cover on NG if you credit the original artist and use no copyrighted audio, you can post a remix if you have written consent from the copyright holder. Anything other than this is breaking copyright and isn't allowed.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with copyright stuff 2024-02-11 14:30:59

In general, if it is a Chinese folk song, meaning it is over 100 years old, it should be totally fine to cover. However, if you take and remix a recording, ensure that it's old enough not to fall under copyright -- public domain. That's the only real way to be safe

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

you put a funny © at the end! oh wait I didn't read... im shore you can use a 100 year old song

GRR <-- that's my signature

Pretty ironic how I draw cowboys even though I'm First nations ;)

BBS Signature