00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiToDaAra just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I invented a new genre: Slugstep! (Help me with this experiment)

214 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey all, E.V here!

It has been a while since I made a post on the forums, but I will try to be concise. As the title says, I invented a new genre which came to be out of boredom and a really bad creative block. "Why the hell did I name it Slugstep", you may ask? Honestly, I don't really know, it just what I felt is fitting for the genre ^ ^;

If you all don't mind, I want you to help me with an experiment: I want you to listen to this playlist/EP and reply with your opinion on one or more of the following questions (or don't XD). I'm trying to see something:

• What vibe are you getting from each track?
  • What is the general vibe you're getting from this EP/playlist?
  • Based on what you've heard, does the name Slugstep fit the genre?
  • Does it sound similar or familiar to a track you've heard recently or in the past?
  • Would you like to see more tracks like these in the future?
  • If you're a music producer, are you interested in trying this genre in your own style?
  • Do you think the genre has potential?
  • Which genres do you think this genre lends from?

Again, you don't have to respond to all of these question, just the ones you feel like you have answers to. Based on the amount of responses, I will compile all the responses and release a hopefully comprehensive result in a post a week or two after this post.

Thanks in advance and any feedback is always welcome! Here is a YouTube playlist on my channel if you fancy listening to it that way.

I'm getting highly EDM influenced hiphop/r&b. Like Asap Rocky style. I really enjoy it. Keep it up! I really don't have much to say other than that. My personal favorite would have to be track 2.

I think this genre already exists, but perhaps it does deserve a different name. Slugstep is catchy sounding :D

My least favorite of this EP would have to be track 4, but that is partly because the mix is muddy and I'm having trouble hearing the bass. But what I will say is absolutely keep experimenting in this vein. You've gained a fan in me!

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

At 2/5/24 03:44 PM, ADR3-N wrote: I'm getting highly EDM influenced hiphop/r&b. Like Asap Rocky style. I really enjoy it. Keep it up! I really don't have much to say other than that. My personal favorite would have to be track 2.

I think this genre already exists, but perhaps it does deserve a different name. Slugstep is catchy sounding :D

My least favorite of this EP would have to be track 4, but that is partly because the mix is muddy and I'm having trouble hearing the bass. But what I will say is absolutely keep experimenting in this vein. You've gained a fan in me!

Thanks for the Feedback! I see what you mean with the influence and now that you say it, I agree! I will definitely keep experimenting with Slugstep. Will I release more in the future? Absolutely, but not immediately. I still haven't fully abandoned DnB yet and I have many ideas to explore.

Thanks again ^ ^

1. It feels like slower Lo-Fi with Pads.
  2. see above
  3. Not really, I don't see a slug in my mind's eye
  4. Like I said, it sounds like lo-fi, but no pianos
  5. Not really, Slow music is not my jam.
  6. My tool kit and experience is limited, I can't afford more processed things.
  7. No.
  8. Lo-fi and ambient genres.

I agree completely with Adr3-n

The song alone truly reals You in pop how it was layered I would have had more bleeded item stressed and edited to chill it but its a súper mellow mouse nothing toned out and global

At 2/6/24 01:25 PM, YendorNG wrote:

Thanks for the input!

At 2/6/24 02:01 PM, JuanDeAlbaXAS wrote: I agree completely with Adr3-n
The song alone truly reals You in pop how it was layered I would have had more bleeded item stressed and edited to chill it but its a súper mellow mouse nothing toned out and global

I'm so sorry, but I'm afraid I can't understand what you mean. But if you just agree with Adr3-n, then don't worry, I will do my best :D

Kind of reminds me of vaporwave but not really. It's like that one artist on bandcamp i heard about but forgot the name. The one that has skeleton album covers and stuff and has an unknown identity, invented some new genre but forgot the name of that too. Something-wave, i know. But regardless, those are the vibes it gives off. Pretty cool stuff!

At 2/7/24 01:00 PM, xXGothicFluttershyXx wrote: Kind of reminds me of vaporwave but not really. It's like that one artist on bandcamp i heard about but forgot the name. The one that has skeleton album covers and stuff and has an unknown identity, invented some new genre but forgot the name of that too. Something-wave, i know. But regardless, those are the vibes it gives off. Pretty cool stuff!

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! I'm afraid I don't know who you're referring to, but I will look around and see if I can find them.

Let me know if you find any leads because that sounds really intriguing!