00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

pixiesweetheart7 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I need criticism

127 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I need criticism 2024-02-03 00:01:50

I recently made a song when coming back to the site after a few months and I want some tips and pointers to improve my music theory

SotedBriccli (:

BBS Signature

Response to I need criticism 2024-02-03 15:41:33

It seems that all of your sounds/instruments aren't harmonizing with each other, and there appears to be lots of dissonance here. a lot of notes in your melodies are clashing with either other melodies or the chord progression itself. a good way to prevent this is to make sure your melodies are playing in the same scale. different scales give different feelings, the same way different chords give different feelings. For example; if your chord progression is in G major, you should play in one of the G major scales (Pentatonic is usually a safe bet).

I always like to encourage people to go beyond music theory, but the most effective way to break the rules is to understand them first. A good song is a song that works, music theory is simply a guide to help get you there.

Response to I need criticism 2024-02-03 20:39:52

At 2/3/24 03:41 PM, BASCUTI wrote: It seems that all of your sounds/instruments aren't harmonizing with each other, and there appears to be lots of dissonance here. a lot of notes in your melodies are clashing with either other melodies or the chord progression itself. a good way to prevent this is to make sure your melodies are playing in the same scale. different scales give different feelings, the same way different chords give different feelings. For example; if your chord progression is in G major, you should play in one of the G major scales (Pentatonic is usually a safe bet).

I always like to encourage people to go beyond music theory, but the most effective way to break the rules is to understand them first. A good song is a song that works, music theory is simply a guide to help get you there.

it's all in the same key

SotedBriccli (:

BBS Signature

Response to I need criticism 2024-02-03 20:42:01 (edited 2024-02-03 20:43:28)

At 2/3/24 08:39 PM, SuitedBroccoli wrote:
At 2/3/24 03:41 PM, BASCUTI wrote: It seems that all of your sounds/instruments aren't harmonizing with each other, and there appears to be lots of dissonance here. a lot of notes in your melodies are clashing with either other melodies or the chord progression itself. a good way to prevent this is to make sure your melodies are playing in the same scale. different scales give different feelings, the same way different chords give different feelings. For example; if your chord progression is in G major, you should play in one of the G major scales (Pentatonic is usually a safe bet).

it's all in the same key

and it's meant to be kinda dissonant, I totally agree with the clashing part tho, it could be improved.

SotedBriccli (:

BBS Signature

Response to I need criticism 2024-02-05 15:38:00

Left you a little review, OP

I don't think the problem here is tonality at all. I think it's register and arrangement. The piano starts with chunky chords in the low register, which is crowded by the bass as well as other instruments. Just a case of too much going on down low, where harmonies themselves do not typically shine! Taking some stuff up and octave would do a lot of good.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to I need criticism 2024-02-05 18:20:04

At 2/5/24 03:38 PM, ADR3-N wrote: Left you a little review, OP

I don't think the problem here is tonality at all. I think it's register and arrangement. The piano starts with chunky chords in the low register, which is crowded by the bass as well as other instruments. Just a case of too much going on down low, where harmonies themselves do not typically shine! Taking some stuff up and octave would do a lot of good.

alr

SotedBriccli (:

BBS Signature