00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lmaoghosthh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Getting paid through writing

276 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Getting paid through writing 2024-01-23 11:35:18

As we all know it's a bit easier to get paid for your art,music,voice acting and even your editing skills, but what about freelance writing?, Now I'm not really a screenwriter, I'm an animator but I was curious as to where or how you freelance script writers normally find paid gigs, the help wanted section on newgrounds is pretty dried up I'd like to get some recommendations for a friend of mine looking to get his foot in the door with his writing, preferably were the beariar to entry is pretty low, all suggestions are welcome.

Response to Getting paid through writing 2024-01-29 12:32:23

I don't think you can earn money by Freelance writing, if we stick up to that definition. The process is always about finding publisher, or producer if we talk about movie scripts, and that collaboration will pretty much always have influence over written work. First example that comes in my mind is Tolkiens "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, which was supposed to be one long book, but the editor convinced Tolkien to split it up. In this example it resulted for the better, but I remember once listening to a writer, that I dont remember name of, where she talked about how one character in her books was supposed to talk with broken grammar and editor just couldn't accept that resulting in "fixing it" constantly.

I think there may be something as Freelance writing, but for that you would already need to be a famous or wanted writer to begin with, so you could make your own rules.

BBS Signature

Response to Getting paid through writing 2024-01-30 13:39:53

At 1/23/24 11:35 AM, myhead3 wrote:

As we all know it's a bit easier to get paid for your art,music,voice acting and even your editing skills, but what about freelance writing?, Now I'm not really a screenwriter, I'm an animator but I was curious as to where or how you freelance script writers normally find paid gigs, the help wanted section on newgrounds is pretty dried up I'd like to get some recommendations for a friend of mine looking to get his foot in the door with his writing, preferably were the beariar to entry is pretty low, all suggestions are welcome.

I'm going to have to agree with @AlfaFranek in his comment here. If your friend writes, tell them to keep doing it for their own enjoyment, but don't expect too much from anyone who might hire them to provide the skill. Just as for past generations of creatives, they're going to want to hold down a day job.

Response to Getting paid through writing 2024-01-31 20:38:52

At 1/30/24 01:39 PM, goldenavatar wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with @AlfaFranek in his comment here. If your friend writes, tell them to keep doing it for their own enjoyment, but don't expect too much from anyone who might hire them to provide the skill. Just as for past generations of creatives, they're going to want to hold down a day job.

True I agree, but he's not looking for anything huge or high class, more like in the realm of writing scripts for a youtuber or something low bar, where would you go to market your writing for that sorta thing, think of it like your average online artist opening themselves up for commissions.

Response to Getting paid through writing 2024-02-01 21:19:32

At 1/31/24 08:38 PM, myhead3 wrote:
True I agree, but he's not looking for anything huge or high class, more like in the realm of writing scripts for a youtuber or something low bar, where would you go to market your writing for that sorta thing, think of it like your average online artist opening themselves up for commissions.

you could try fiverr I guess. The other replies have already gone over this but I don't think there are many oppurtunities for freelance writers unfortunetely

tries too hard to be edgy and is blocked by many because he acts rude towards others to feel better about himself.

BBS Signature

Response to Getting paid through writing 2024-02-02 14:14:11

At 1/23/24 11:35 AM, myhead3 wrote: As we all know it's a bit easier to get paid for your art,music,voice acting and even your editing skills, but what about freelance writing?, Now I'm not really a screenwriter, I'm an animator but I was curious as to where or how you freelance script writers normally find paid gigs, the help wanted section on newgrounds is pretty dried up I'd like to get some recommendations for a friend of mine looking to get his foot in the door with his writing, preferably were the beariar to entry is pretty low, all suggestions are welcome.

Going into college I thought I wanted to be a freelance script writer but unfortunately in the current market I believe that's not sustainable. There are exceptions of course but your friend may be better off just writing their own stuff in their free time and find their second most passionate hobby and turn it into a career.

Response to Getting paid through writing 2024-02-07 22:35:37

At 1/31/24 08:38 PM, myhead3 wrote:

I think Fiverr and similar websites is the place to start. If they make any consistent money at it, I'd recommend that they seek out professional mentorship for more established writers. If they can, write a comic, hire an artist to illustrate it. However, regardless of what they do, it's likely best that they hold on to their day job.

Response to Getting paid through writing 2024-02-27 22:29:11

Maybe your friend could try doing what we are doing? We have a gaming blog and will monotonize at some time. However, it isn't very easy and I suggest doing it because you want to and not just for money. The money will come later. Starting a blog, however, does take a very long time and getting traffic even longer but it can be done. We suggest your friend look into possibly starting a blog of their own. It is also a good idea for future writing jobs or work to have a reference and owning your own blog speaks for itself.

Game Review Blog and Store Gaming News Free Game Downloads Game Recommendations Game Guides Game Tips and Tricks Indie Games PolySteamGaming Website