00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ragdollchewy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Basic Art Subject Matter with Your Own Personal Twist

156 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This post is partially advice based on personal opinions and also partially for fun. So let me ask you this: What is some common subject matter in art pieces that you personally think has become BEYOND overused and generic? (This is not meant to criticize any artists specifically here on NG. This is meant to criticize the concepts of overrated, overdone, basic concepts for subject matter in general.) Furthermore, out of curiosity, have you personally tried making an art piece based on that certain subject matter, but with your own creative, unique twist to it? (If not, give it a try) If so, feel free to show it here in your comment to this forum post! I’m partially asking because I took ONE WHOLE YEAR not showing off any brand new art pieces of mine. I want to make much more art and show it this year, but I want to impress other NG artists, and show them subject matter that doesn’t bore them, and make them think, “This is boring and generic. I’ve seen this before.” Anyway, no offense to artists who have made art from this idea before, but I personally think flowers in art- paintings especially- are EXTREMELY basic and beyond tiring to see at this point. I have no idea why artists made them into a billion different paintings throughout Art History. So here’s my personal twist on flowers in my art: iu_1140636_8137361.png

I think girl in pose and flower (often together) will remain the most used symbols in history for beauty probably forever? or until the point that gender as a construct is extinct or that interest in beauty as a concept ascends beyond physicality? Its not that they're basic its that they're fundamental symbols of the concept of beauty and nature.

advocatus diaboli

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

I’d appreciate a paragraph break or two in your post, but no matter.

As someone who got online during the height of Warrior cats fandom: Stylized cats drawn in a way that emphasizes big fluffy shapes, big ears, and animesque faces. Think of the “boykisser” meme, for example. That art style.

But hey, if you’re one of those people who draws that, embrace the cringecore! From my own experience, I know that fluff is fun to draw, and colorful characters are fun to design!

I never drew any of those (at least not since that time), but my friend @whimsical-wife made this one and it’s one example of her art being 2000s nostalgic as hell:

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Not to offend any other artist or creative, but ...

Over used cringe nonsense. Uh uh a crow with a clock, nuhu passing time... when I looked on the scarped and stolen data use din Stable Diffusion base model (and no, if you read this - no LORA is not making own model, its called fine tuning and still base don stolen data even if you use your own works with SD model) - there were so many crows with something-something, that I couldn't even tell if SD had stolen my doodle or not.

That over-used-cringe this concept is.

At 1/3/24 08:40 PM, Template88 wrote: I think girl in pose and flower (often together) will remain the most used symbols in history for beauty probably forever? or until the point that gender as a construct is extinct or that interest in beauty as a concept ascends beyond physicality? It’s not that they're basic it’s that they're fundamental symbols of the concept of beauty and nature.

Like girls lying in meadows or beds holding flowers as if they were Disney princesses or whatever? Yeah, I agree, they are used quite a lot. Yet again, you make a good point with the argument that they’re the core symbols of beauty. Did you ever by chance make an art piece of those symbols yourself. I’d love to see it if you did!

At 1/3/24 09:32 PM, Thetageist wrote: I’d appreciate a paragraph break or two in your post, but no matter.

As someone who got online during the height of Warrior cats fandom: Stylized cats drawn in a way that emphasizes big fluffy shapes, big ears, and animesque faces. Think of the “boykisser” meme, for example. That art style.

But hey, if you’re one of those people who draws that, embrace the cringecore! From my own experience, I know that fluff is fun to draw, and colorful characters are fun to design!

I never drew any of those (at least not since that time), but my friend @whimsical-wife made this one and it’s one example of her art being 2000s nostalgic as hell:
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/whimsical-wife/n-november-day-8

Your friend is really talented! I may consider following them.. Anyway, overly fluffy cats are cute, but they’re definitely overdone by now. No offense to any artists, but it seems like cat drawings are overdone when it comes to animal- related art in general… Although even I made some drawings of my pet cat myself…

At 1/4/24 05:02 AM, Tenebrare wrote: Not to offend any other artist or creative, but ...

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/tenebrare/crow-time

Over used cringe nonsense. Uh uh a crow with a clock, nuhu passing time... when I looked on the scarped and stolen data use din Stable Diffusion base model (and no, if you read this - no LORA is not making own model, its called fine tuning and still base don stolen data even if you use your own works with SD model) - there were so many crows with something-something, that I couldn't even tell if SD had stolen my doodle or not.

That over-used-cringe this concept is.

Oh! What a nice drawing! Is it all purely black ink? It looks like something inspired by Edgar Allen Poe. Crows and ravens are overdone, but if Gothic art is your niche (for me it is), then they’re pretty much core symbols. As for being cringe, that’s debatable. I don’t find them cringy, but hey… That’s just my opinion.

At 1/4/24 12:30 PM, gybbiedom wrote: Oh! What a nice drawing! Is it all purely black ink? It looks like something inspired by Edgar Allen Poe. Crows and ravens are overdone, but if Gothic art is your niche (for me it is), then they’re pretty much core symbols. As for being cringe, that’s debatable. I don’t find them cringy, but hey… That’s just my opinion.

I was adding a bit more self burn than I deserved. While my opinion doesn't change that the theme is popular, then why i did it has very particular reason.

It is illustration for a music piece. Which I think I always post on comments, when I post the image, but allow me to post it again for easier listening

And 1st time I heard this track, I had this image of a passing time and a crow flying trough inception-esque cityscape, with slow motion time passing on sort of reversal on this environment hinting our own mortality.

The effect of the song is even stronger, when you listen it on cutting edge high quality sound system. The background beat makes you feel out of this plane.

And due the massive impact the track had on me, I almost never have been able to post the image without talking/mentioning about its origin.

My only regret is that I do not know (yet) how to animate, or I would have done the whole clip I 'saw' in my minds eye.

I'm starting to accept that the idea of making some original idea that not a soul has thought up before is bullshit. Everything comes from something. I for example, to help drill it in, decided to do a crude doodle of atomic betty wearing darth vaders uniform. Took from two different sources. I could have gone further by adding in an eye patch or scar, maybe remove an arm entirely. The possibilities are limitless. My point is, trying to be sooooo original is just demoralizing. Just take ideas you like and remix them, strong emphasis on the remix part.

iu_1141082_20436071.webp

At 1/4/24 02:11 PM, Tenebrare wrote:
At 1/4/24 12:30 PM, gybbiedom wrote: Oh! What a nice drawing! Is it all purely black ink? It looks like something inspired by Edgar Allen Poe. Crows and ravens are overdone, but if Gothic art is your niche (for me it is), then they’re pretty much core symbols. As for being cringe, that’s debatable. I don’t find them cringy, but hey… That’s just my opinion.
I was adding a bit more self burn than I deserved. While my opinion doesn't change that the theme is popular, then why i did it has very particular reason.

It is illustration for a music piece. Which I think I always post on comments, when I post the image, but allow me to post it again for easier listening

And 1st time I heard this track, I had this image of a passing time and a crow flying trough inception-esque cityscape, with slow motion time passing on sort of reversal on this environment hinting our own mortality.

The effect of the song is even stronger, when you listen it on cutting edge high quality sound system. The background beat makes you feel out of this plane.

And due the massive impact the track had on me, I almost never have been able to post the image without talking/mentioning about its origin.

My only regret is that I do not know (yet) how to animate, or I would have done the whole clip I 'saw' in my minds eye.

Nice!

At 1/4/24 02:39 PM, xeiavica wrote: I'm starting to accept that the idea of making some original idea that not a soul has thought up before is bullshit. Everything comes from something. I for example, to help drill it in, decided to do a crude doodle of atomic betty wearing darth vaders uniform. Took from two different sources. I could have gone further by adding in an eye patch or scar, maybe remove an arm entirely. The possibilities are limitless. My point is, trying to be sooooo original is just demoralizing. Just take ideas you like and remix them, strong emphasis on the remix part.

Yeah, fair enough. I like your idea of Fanart crossovers here. It would be great to see the finished version of this… That is, if you personally wish to pursue it.

At 1/4/24 02:59 PM, gybbiedom wrote:
At 1/4/24 02:39 PM, xeiavica wrote: I'm starting to accept that the idea of making some original idea that not a soul has thought up before is bullshit. Everything comes from something. I for example, to help drill it in, decided to do a crude doodle of atomic betty wearing darth vaders uniform. Took from two different sources. I could have gone further by adding in an eye patch or scar, maybe remove an arm entirely. The possibilities are limitless. My point is, trying to be sooooo original is just demoralizing. Just take ideas you like and remix them, strong emphasis on the remix part.
Yeah, fair enough. I like your idea of Fanart crossovers here. It would be great to see the finished version of this… That is, if you personally wish to pursue it.

If you mean expanding further upon the darth vader + atomic betty splicing together, I wouldn't mind at all expanding upon it in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.