00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hellzwulf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I can't create anything.

913 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I can't create anything. 2023-12-31 20:41:49

Ever since I was little, I always wanted to create animations and art, but it's been years now and I'm almost 18 and I haven't created anything. I don't know how to draw or animate, and it's been making me really depressed, and whenever I do feel like creating anything, I feel like my opportunity has passed. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

Response to I can't create anything. 2023-12-31 20:50:25

At 12/31/23 08:41 PM, FunnyBone1313 wrote: Ever since I was little, I always wanted to create animations and art, but it's been years now and I'm almost 18 and I haven't created anything. I don't know how to draw or animate, and it's been making me really depressed, and whenever I do feel like creating anything, I feel like my opportunity has passed. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

Just start simple. If you want to draw, you could start with stick figures, and there are plenty of guides that can help you get the ball rolling.

Also this is a good guide that may help you much later on.

https://youtu.be/B5tU2PuRdU8?si=wUubQ-lfUj6kXuGn

schnoz

schnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnoz

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2023-12-31 20:58:01

As simple and idiotic as this answer may seem.

Just start creating :)

You won't go anywhere if you continue doing nothing, just start putting your simplest ideas into practice to learn from your mistakes so you can put your more ambitious ideas into practice.

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2023-12-31 21:09:34

Do a trashy animation. It may not be nothing, but you'll have started your path

Do a bad quality animation. You'll feel good with you for finishing something and will want to improve

Do an animation. Once you get in the right path, you'll do it whenever you want without even realizing

Do a great animation. In a certain point, you'll want to create something really cool, that's when you have to defy yourself.

And of course, always keep learning. If you want things to get better, failing and learning is the only way

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2023-12-31 21:33:46

I don't really feel that sorry for you if you're this depressed over something you're not even trying to do.

You're living in a time where resources are plentiful and free, the barriers for entry are so low that they basically don't exist. If you're approaching life on a "self-pity first, try never" basis, the only obstacle you have is between your ears.

Response to I can't create anything. 2023-12-31 21:34:26

At 12/31/23 08:41 PM, FunnyBone1313 wrote: Ever since I was little, I always wanted to create animations and art, but it's been years now and I'm almost 18 and I haven't created anything. I don't know how to draw or animate, and it's been making me really depressed, and whenever I do feel like creating anything, I feel like my opportunity has passed. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

The best advice I can give is to start with the basics and work your way up. I'm spending 2024 relearning how to draw. Practicing with basic shapes is boring, but necessary to improve. I ignored that part and I'm paying for it now.

Watch vids on youtube about how to practice, don't skip steps because they're tedious, watch people of different skill levels draw, ask for feedback, and don't expect everything you do to be perfect even if you've been working for a long time.

Lastly, you're 17. As someone dangerously close to their 30s, you have nothing but time. Unless you're in a hurry, the "lost opportunity" thing is all in your head. Some of our best artists were in their 40s when they peaked. Don't rush yourself and don't give in to the illusion of running out of time. It'll either make you quit or prevent you from starting all together.

Response to I can't create anything. 2023-12-31 21:48:07 (edited 2023-12-31 21:49:59)

At 12/31/23 09:33 PM, Skoops wrote: I don't really feel that sorry for you if you're this depressed over something you're not even trying to do.

You're living in a time where resources are plentiful and free, the barriers for entry are so low that they basically don't exist. If you're approaching life on a "self-pity first, try never" basis, the only obstacle you have is between your ears.

Me saying I'm depressed was a bit hyperbolic. But you're right about the self-pity. It is a problem that I have been dealing with for a long time. I am actively trying to get rid of it. and thanks for the tutorials.

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-01 03:52:43

its ok there are so many resources for beginners on the internet!! youre never too late :))

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-01 10:51:55

My advice in general is that it’s never too late to begin. Bob Ross himself didn’t start his painting show until after he’d served years in the military as a drill sergeant, and that’s only one example.

The Internet may glorify being a teenage prodigy, but it’s an unrealistic notion to assume you missed the boat if you’re a legal adult before you start making art.

If you ever need ideas, by the way, a good place to start is redrawing/animating memes with your own character concepts. This way, the premise of the art/animation is already provided to you and you just have to carry it out with whatever twist you want to add. It’ll also attract feedback, considering people are going to be already familiar with the meme.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-01 11:18:04

At 1/1/24 10:51 AM, Thetageist wrote: My advice in general is that it’s never too late to begin. Bob Ross himself didn’t start his painting show until after he’d served years in the military as a drill sergeant, and that’s only one example.

The Internet may glorify being a teenage prodigy, but it’s an unrealistic notion to assume you missed the boat if you’re a legal adult before you start making art.

If you ever need ideas, by the way, a good place to start is redrawing/animating memes with your own character concepts. This way, the premise of the art/animation is already provided to you and you just have to carry it out with whatever twist you want to add. It’ll also attract feedback, considering people are going to be already familiar with the meme.

Replied to add: Also in addition, if you have any further motivation problems while on your creative journey, there’s this thread I started:

Discouraged Artists’ Support Group

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-01 15:40:41

Fun fact, when people learn something, regardless of their age they have no idea how to do it. Art has no restriction on age. Many artists/animators begin to drawing with fanart, so if you like something maybe try drawing some of your favourite characters and it's good that way because you have references you can collect and can think about some cool scenarios that they may not have been in or have interactions with characters in the franchise that didn't happen that you might think would be cool to explore? Or take some time to think about what do you like? What characters do you really find yourself drawn to and then try and make an OC up, then draw them?

There's plenty of NG collabs going around that are open to all levels, so don't shy away and join in a few, you may meet new people or become inspired by others in your art journey.

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-01 15:51:41

It's never too late to learn art. Just make something. Anything. It doesn't matter if it sucks because failure is the best teacher. And as has been pointed out finding drawing tutorials is as easy as opening Youtube and typing it in the search bar.

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-01 15:57:58 (edited 2024-01-01 15:59:08)

there is no such thing as an opportunity passing, i know it can feel that way when you see people who are younger than you, or have been doing what you do for way less time and have "better results" to show for it but it is never ever too late to pick up a new skill. there are people in their 30's, 40's, 50's 60's who never had the opportunity to dedicate the time they wanted to to crafts but choose to pick them up anyways.

also, i hope this doesnt come off as condescending but. you're going on 18. i cannot emphasize ENOUGH that you're young. Sure legally you might be an adult soon but in terms of practical life experience and like. average life expectancy assuming you live in a 1st world country you've barely started your life.

a piece of advice ill give you is to not set your expectations so high, nobody masters a skill in a day. dont compare yourself to others because all it will do is make you miserable and that feeling is what will fucking kill your motivation to practice and if you dont practice you cant improve.

make something you love, or create to spite anyone who tells you you cant do it. love and spite are the only two emotions an artist can rely on to carry them through their journey lol

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-01 18:40:39

At 12/31/23 08:41 PM, FunnyBone1313 wrote: I don't know how to draw or animate

The only way to learn is by doing it consistently. Start drawing, share what you draw, be open to constructive criticism and feedback, and stick to it. There are no shortcuts, but there's also no time limit. Remember to try to have fun along the way too.

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-01 19:05:21

it's been years now and I'm almost 18

You're still very very young. You've got time to get your creative juices flowing.

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-01 19:09:33

ok so I'm doing art for quite some time now and I STILL feel like this CONSTANTLY. Recently I just got an old journal I have around my room, awful paper, pages with lines, grabbed my super normal pen and then just started drawing. And stuff IS happening. I'm totally not expecting it to destroy this feeling but it has make everything SO much better ç-ç

welp

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-02 07:56:08

Remember the golden rule: There are no rules. Only tools. Always use the BEST tool for the job at hand.

iu_1139653_20436071.webp

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-02 16:48:23

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement, it really means a lot to me. Thank you!

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-03 19:11:34

Hay! Don’t say that. If you can’t now, you can learn how! It’s not the end, it’s a begin!

gg

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-03 20:46:52

Whenever you draw - no matter how poorly - you are creating something that did not previously exist. Just draw, and practice. All artists have to start at some point, and unfortunately many artists feel like that their whole lives. I still feel like that about my own work, but I acknowledge I’ve come a long way and I recognize the support I get from fans, friends, and family who like what I do.

Draw what you want to draw, and draw often. Watch tutorials and try to recognize improvement. Don’t expect to become great anytime soon, but also have fun doing it.

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-03 21:20:15

Something I learned a long time ago was that doing anything creative, be it writing, drawing, etc, is like doing a workout for the artistic parts of your brain. Just like working out irl, you can't go from 0 to 100 because those parts of your brain aren't strong enough. You have to start with doing something small, and even if you're just drawing the equivalent of a 5-pound rubber weight, that's still something that eventually builds towards a goal. And the exact same as working out, there's no trick to it either. You draw, you give yourself proper breaks/rest, and you start to build up to eventually doing large pieces, and eventually a full animation.

Now, I said there's no trick, but it's not entirely true, because the real trick is to keep yourself consistent with it, and that's tricky. Not consistent like "I have to draw on this day at this time for this long," but keeping it in mind and doing something about it. Sometimes you don't feel like drawing on a day you normally do and that's fine, a lot of times that's your brain telling you that it can't today. But eventually it becomes a habit to skip and be lazy, and once you get into the habit of it, you sorta spiral and put yourself down for not drawing, which only perpetuates the cycle (speaking from experience here). So you just have to start doing it, and the path that leads to bigger and better works starts to open up.

Also fuck outta here with that "im 18 and my chance has passed" bullshit lmao, unlike the working out metaphor, there's never a point where you're too old or too weak to make art (and if there was, it'd be nowhere near 18).

And if you see someone even younger than you that's better than you, don't take it as a negative reflection on yourself. There's always gonna randomly be some child prodigy who is just straight up better than someone who's 40 and been doing art their entire life. Sometimes random luck and raw talent are a bitch rofl

𝖘𝖔 𝖑𝖔𝖓𝖌, 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖔𝖉𝖓𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙.

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-03 23:22:03

At 18, you're just beginning. Art is one of those things it's never really too late to pick up. Having some life experience and maturity helps too. Maybe some kids start sooner, but how much of that time was serious? A lot of kids just want to draw what they like and don't really understand a lot of basic art concepts (but that's okay, I was the same way).

The first thing I'd suggest is to use whatever you have, even if it's just pencil and paper. If you have a phone / pc / ipad you could try to get some sort of cheap drawing tablet (anything with pressure sensitivity) and try free art / animation programs. I'm sure people here can suggest a few. It's also nice to join a few animation communities. NG for example. You might also like Ethan Becker and Space Dad for their tutorials. You can learn a lot just by playing around with a program, trying to make something, and watching step-by-step tutorials. Just getting started is the first step, and sometimes the hardest.

Blooming even after the darkest of seasons

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-03 23:38:06

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it really is just practice, and making sure you just keep drawing. If I had given up, I doubt I'd be where I am now.

Don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others. It's a horrible mindset, and will hold you back.

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-03 23:51:54

Here is some resources:

Basics class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpqEE9yU474

You should buy a pack of #2 pencils, a sharpener, and a pack of hi-polymer erasers, and a book of blank pages to scribble in. Do not worry about making mistakes drawing cubes and circles and trying to erase them, just make lots of them till you feel confident.

When you feel confident with that, make them MOVE:

Animation exercises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37L-8lbyS1Y

--Moving on you may need to learn how to draw the human anatomy:

A quick anatomy class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4Hf_6U4Rc

I'd suggest a paid course in anatomy drawing, but there is plenty of free content out there that will get you the jist of it.

All this will take time-- be patient and don't give up. :)

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-04 12:11:12

You should just keep trying, Starting out is rough but you'll get better with every new attempt you make. gaining experience and making progress is hard to notice from your own Point of View, but it is happening. The other people in this thread were cool and gave links and resources. You can do it, the thing that will carry you to your goal is your own will.

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-04 13:47:57

Idk draw something you like?

GRR <-- that's my signature

Pretty ironic how I draw cowboys even though I'm First nations ;)

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-04 14:35:10

my advice is just create anything, yes it sounds stupid and might be bad, but it will improve your skills, this goes for me and anybody else.

Check out my stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-04 15:19:19

I am 30 years old.. Kid stop worrying about what have passed. I draw many things in my life and

started small. I wrote many stories and know the term of White Page syndrome.

It's totally normal to be blocked, it means your brain is trying to adapt and need some practice.

You have to make the move to adapt in this form, use you imagination as a tool, but also

allow it to take time.

Get inspirations from other artist, draw similar things, or look at your environement and draw it.

Like if I challenge you to draw a pikachu sitting on a chair?

Do you see the way to draw it?

It might take some times to get good at this, but eventually you will be talented.

Allow yourself to learn, rather than being harsh on your start. It will let the magic sparks, sort to speak.

ZombieGhost

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-04 15:39:17

hey you can make art animations at any age! Just takes practice! Start out slow by looking at what shapes people are made of and continue on! Also see what kind of art styles you like and go off of them. Art is special because anyone can create good or bad, I believe in you

Response to I can't create anything. 2024-01-04 15:39:51

I did not start drawing until I was in my mid 20s, and I started attending a painting course with people who only started doing art in there 50s or 60s, 18 you got a whole lot of your life ahead of you. I can't help you on animating, never done any of that myself but with drawing you can get into it, I did a online course I found really helpful, keep it simple just pencil and paper, to start. Maybe get a colouring book? I got one with Lovecraft themed monsters that's easy to get into, maybe get some idea's on your own drawings.

BBS Signature