00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FewThe just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do You Color Drawings?

721 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-18 19:21:37

I find that whenever I draw, I run into the most trouble when I get to coloring and lineart. I am never quite sure how to visualize the way I want a picture colored/lined before I get to it and I have to just wing it. I've had many drawings scrapped just because I didn't know how I wanted it colored n whatnot. Does anyone have some tips and tricks on how to better plan and streamline the coloring and lineart process?

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-18 22:10:56

This is a really broad question

Layer setting wise, I use a multiply layer to color over the base white layer and shading.

To pick my colors, I use the color sliders instead of the color wheel. There's a video that convinced me to do this very recently:

I am the original GetterRocka

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-18 22:13:25

At 12/18/23 10:10 PM, GetterRocka wrote: This is a really broad question

Layer setting wise, I use a multiply layer to color over the base white layer and shading.

To pick my colors, I use the color sliders instead of the color wheel. There's a video that convinced me to do this very recently:

shit yeah i guess i didnt realize how broad of a question it is lol

also i'll give the video a watch

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-18 22:23:33

While I still dont think the wheel is bad, after watching, I do think that the space being saved on the sidebar sounds cool

BBS Signature

I think having a solid idea first and foremost is super important, because it will effect how you'll color it. But! It's really hard to give advice without having a specific thing to give advice for since like the other guy said, this question is a LIL vague. Would you mind maybe posting something you did color and we could give some advice?

For now tho, I'd recommend looking into color theory. I think hueshifting specifically can REALLY make colors pop and also give you a better idea of how to proceed when you juuust start on something. If you want a moody tone for example, you can use colder colors and hueshift your character's pallet to match. This is a big reason why I like coloring so maybe I'm biased LOL, if you get the chance I personally think it's good to learn and might make it more clear on what to do

Also color studies are ALWAYS helpful, esp if you're having trouble visualizing colors

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

I drop the sketch phase and go straight to the culoring phase. I draw without outlines. So i draw somthing resembeling a thing with a coulor (depends on witch coulor) and paintbucket the drawing. You can look at my stuff to get a grasp of what i mean.

Out of witch coulor. I like to use bright coulors. That shit is cool. Muted stuff looks muddy in my oppinion so i do bright. Ocationaly i use the coulor droplet thing when im lazy but thats somthing i dont always use. But when i dont use the coulor droplet thing i think "how can i make it bright but not be blindening?" and i just do... I dont reely know how to explain it. And when i use a ref and ignoring the droplet: i look ar the ref and try to make it as bright as nessesary yet still trying to not go overboard. And i just like using coulors that simply fit together. So it looks nice.

I do draw with outlines but i do relatively the same.

But tl;dr: i use paintbucket and make things bright.

I hope the author of this video isn't serious and it's all just one big piece of sarcasm (or bait) for comedy! xD Because the video gives the viewer the impression the color wheel is some kinda obstacle and it's a huge problem while in reality it's isn't a problem at all.

iu_1131907_3945050.png

also my comment in case it gets "moderated out"

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 12:51:50

At 12/19/23 12:16 PM, CzySzy wrote:

I hope the author of this video isn't serious and it's all just one big piece of sarcasm (or bait) for comedy! xD Because the video gives the viewer the impression the color wheel is some kinda obstacle and it's a huge problem while in reality it's isn't a problem at all.

Also what I find the really odd about the video is the tone which strongly suggests the author is genuinely upset by such a trivial thing.

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 13:33:08

At 12/19/23 11:29 AM, Nebulate wrote: I drop the sketch phase and go straight to the culoring phase. I draw without outlines. So i draw somthing resembeling a thing with a coulor (depends on witch coulor) and paintbucket the drawing. You can look at my stuff to get a grasp of what i mean.

Out of witch coulor. I like to use bright coulors. That shit is cool. Muted stuff looks muddy in my oppinion so i do bright. Ocationaly i use the coulor droplet thing when im lazy but thats somthing i dont always use. But when i dont use the coulor droplet thing i think "how can i make it bright but not be blindening?" and i just do... I dont reely know how to explain it. And when i use a ref and ignoring the droplet: i look ar the ref and try to make it as bright as nessesary yet still trying to not go overboard. And i just like using coulors that simply fit together. So it looks nice.

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/pi-illodium
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/oc-plaza-stuff-10-thats-a-lot-of-drawings
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/skelleton-wandering-around

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/october-drawings-day-1-to-30
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/day-30-halloween
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/art-trade-anzky

I do like the idea of jumping at a piece with spontaneity and just diving right into the colors! Maybe I'll try that soon. Thanks for the input!

BBS Signature

At 12/19/23 01:33 PM, TheBestBroster wrote:
At 12/19/23 11:29 AM, Nebulate wrote: I drop the sketch phase and go straight to the culoring phase. I draw without outlines. So i draw somthing resembeling a thing with a coulor (depends on witch coulor) and paintbucket the drawing. You can look at my stuff to get a grasp of what i mean.

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/pi-illodium
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/oc-plaza-stuff-10-thats-a-lot-of-drawings
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/skelleton-wandering-around

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/october-drawings-day-1-to-30
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/day-30-halloween
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/nebulate/art-trade-anzky

I do like the idea of jumping at a piece with spontaneity and just diving right into the colors! Maybe I'll try that soon. Thanks for the input!

Yee. I do that bc MS-paint issnt reely made to sketch with. Well the new update made it so you can have layers. But i still skip the sketch phase so i can get to the couloring. I start with the couloring.

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 13:51:35

I’ve been working with the same set of color palettes that I built up for some of my old artworks, and tweaking the values whenever I needed to for my new stuff.

To make this funny confession into actual advice: maybe you could use a palette already provided to you to start with, and then fine tune the exact values you use as you receive feedback.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 13:54:40

At 12/19/23 11:06 AM, Oddlem wrote: I think having a solid idea first and foremost is super important, because it will effect how you'll color it. But! It's really hard to give advice without having a specific thing to give advice for since like the other guy said, this question is a LIL vague. Would you mind maybe posting something you did color and we could give some advice?

For now tho, I'd recommend looking into color theory. I think hueshifting specifically can REALLY make colors pop and also give you a better idea of how to proceed when you juuust start on something. If you want a moody tone for example, you can use colder colors and hueshift your character's pallet to match. This is a big reason why I like coloring so maybe I'm biased LOL, if you get the chance I personally think it's good to learn and might make it more clear on what to do

Also color studies are ALWAYS helpful, esp if you're having trouble visualizing colors

Yeah sorry about the vagueness of the question. I didn't really have anything specific to ask, it was just a general question asking for your own process. Still, I shoulda specified that better. ANNNNnyyyyways

Shiiiiiieeet yknow what? I havent dont any color studies in a long ass time I should totally do that again! Also, I should totally play with shifted hues more now that I think about it. And youre def right about having a solid idea to begin with, I really gotta plan my palettes I guess.

iu_1131933_18759072.webpiu_1131934_18759072.webp

heres a couple things I posted here within the last month or so. I just feel like the colors in what I draw never quite look right to me. I feel like it's vaguely not as good as it could be and I dont know what specifically to improve on.

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 13:56:30

At 12/19/23 01:51 PM, Thetageist wrote: I’ve been working with the same set of color palettes that I built up for some of my old artworks, and tweaking the values whenever I needed to for my new stuff.

To make this funny confession into actual advice: maybe you could use a palette already provided to you to start with, and then fine tune the exact values you use as you receive feedback.

Yeah I should do that. I used to use online pallete generators quite a bit, I should do that again. Man I really need to get back in de art groove lol

BBS Signature

I agree somewhat, but It almost seems like the author is trying to completely antagonize the color wheel when in reality it really isn't that difficult to use-- it seems like more of a preference thing honestly. I might give the sliders a try, though.

The part about the lack of precision/color relativity with the color wheel I can agree with. I've never really had that big of an issue with it myself as my coloring process revolves around trial and error anyway but I can see where precision may be needed to differentiate between some values. I presume that the sliders could perhaps help me speed up that process, yes?

I also kind of understand the issue with space, but of the programs I've used I'm able to reorganize my dockers into tabs with ease. It moreso depends on what software you're using.

Art Dump

I like to yap incoherently about my art sometimes

God bless you.

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 16:04:59

Idk my coloring is super basic, I just use flat colors and then go straight to shading and highlighting with flat colors as well.

(・∀・)

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 16:55:25

I always use warm colours, and mostly use my favourite colour palette (that being tangerine orange, teal green, magenta and olive green). I keep finding those colours in my art, even when I don’t mean to use them lol. Warm colours are just easier to get right in my opinion.

I can never really picture what I want an artwork’s colours to be like in my head, so I usually just wing it, use colours I like and hope it turns out nice.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

At 12/19/23 01:54 PM, TheBestBroster wrote:
At 12/19/23 11:06 AM, Oddlem wrote: I think having a solid idea first and foremost is super important, because it will effect how you'll color it. But! It's really hard to give advice without having a specific thing to give advice for since like the other guy said, this question is a LIL vague. Would you mind maybe posting something you did color and we could give some advice?

Yeah sorry about the vagueness of the question. I didn't really have anything specific to ask, it was just a general question asking for your own process. Still, I shoulda specified that better. ANNNNnyyyyways

Shiiiiiieeet yknow what? I havent dont any color studies in a long ass time I should totally do that again! Also, I should totally play with shifted hues more now that I think about it. And youre def right about having a solid idea to begin with, I really gotta plan my palettes I guess.

heres a couple things I posted here within the last month or so. I just feel like the colors in what I draw never quite look right to me. I feel like it's vaguely not as good as it could be and I dont know what specifically to improve on.

!!!!! these are really solid actually!! you have a really good sense of values, and imo I think the first one's colors are pretty good too! But I getcha nowwww

The first one's really good imo! It does a good job at making the main character pop, I like that you paired reds and purples together. It looks good and gives the feeling of internal conflict in the character!

I think the second one's colors are a little lacking, and if I had to think about it, I think it would do better with more aggressive colors like red or saturated yellow being played around with potentially? If you wanted it to be more menacing? Or if you wanted something more goofy, greens and maybe blues would work. Just some examples!! I REALLY like these tho omg, those values are really strong in both!

also I have a weak spot for goofy nostalgia critic stuff LOL

But I think honestly, it's a matter of just messing with color theory!

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 17:21:19

At 12/19/23 05:10 PM, Oddlem wrote:
At 12/19/23 01:54 PM, TheBestBroster wrote:

!!!!! these are really solid actually!! you have a really good sense of values, and imo I think the first one's colors are pretty good too! But I getcha nowwww

The first one's really good imo! It does a good job at making the main character pop, I like that you paired reds and purples together. It looks good and gives the feeling of internal conflict in the character!

I think the second one's colors are a little lacking, and if I had to think about it, I think it would do better with more aggressive colors like red or saturated yellow being played around with potentially? If you wanted it to be more menacing? Or if you wanted something more goofy, greens and maybe blues would work. Just some examples!! I REALLY like these tho omg, those values are really strong in both!

also I have a weak spot for goofy nostalgia critic stuff LOL

But I think honestly, it's a matter of just messing with color theory!

yeah the Critic drawing was meant to be a goofy fisheye lens of his smile lmaoo

Now that you point it out, I could use to be a bit bolder with colors sometimes. I naturally gravitate towards less saturated colors for whatever reason, but I love the energy of more saturated colors. Not that I don't like subtlety of course, but I totally should branch out and explore/study/play with colors more. Thank you for the compliments to my drawings though,

youre super good yourself! :P

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 20:30:08

At 12/19/23 12:51 PM, CzySzy wrote:

Also what I find the really odd about the video is the tone which strongly suggests the author is genuinely upset by such a trivial thing.

I think that's just youtube showmanship

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-19 20:32:29

At 12/18/23 10:23 PM, TheBestBroster wrote:

While I still dont think the wheel is bad, after watching, I do think that the space being saved on the sidebar sounds cool

I don't think the wheel is bad either, I've just learned about the sliders thanks to the video. I ended up preferring it personally. I like seeing the value and saturation having their own separate section instead of managing both at once with the wheel.

I have tried to post here three times, wrote long posts and managed to close window without posting it. Ha ! So I make a short response in case I manage to close window without responding again.

As for my process I have 2 methods nowadays I use most, but not limited to :

One : idea-> sketch > lineart->flat grayscale (limited to 10% differences- so 10 shades) - > light/shadow grayscale (added 5% variation, making 20 shades) -> gradients > LUT> curves> composite > additional effects/sharpening/curves

Two ; Doodling/idea - > refined sketch - A random depth adding in colour, unlimited palette (absolutely no link to how image colour or theme looks at end) - > LUT - > gradient fill - > maybe additional LUT layer > additional edits based on LUTs chosen - > curves > additional line art > composite > additional fixes> additional effect/curves.

Line art if used is generally a layer between light/shadow and 1st Gradient -LUT FX.

In summary colour in my works are generated via gradient fill+LUT+curves. I rarely manually colour any details at all. But to do that using just those 3 small things, you have to have viable values in depth (light/shadow) layer with right opacity.

I learned this technique from an artist from china years ago, and I love it. It also means I can recolour image in any colour theme, night/day any time I want. It is good non destructive and fast way of working in my eyes.

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-20 05:13:45

I colour with Ohuhu markers or paints, mainly cheap watercolours and acrylics.

I often go over my pencilwork with gel pens, as gel pens smear just faintly enough for that grungy look I'm seeking out. When I'm colouring with more wet material like paints, though, I use waterproof Microns to ink it first.

Welcome to the middle of nowhere--the centre of everywhere.

BBS Signature

Honestly I mostly just wing it. With digital art, the colors are going to look widely different to viewers due to monitor and display settings. They might be viewing your art on a well-calibrated computer monitor in a dark room, a cheap consumer screen with some kind of built in contrast boost, blue light filter, or even on a tiny phone screen with the brightness turned down while standing in daylight. So there's not much of a point to overthinking it. I think the most important thing is to let yourself experiment and go with what looks good to you.

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-20 11:21:01

I think the tone is just exageration for entertainment purposes, its undeniable that the color-wheel does its job just fine, but compared to the control the sliders give, the wheel is way more loosey-goosey. Just a matter of prefference, if you just want to quickly get a color, then the color-wheel is way more time efficient, just 2 simple mouse-clicks and you got a color. But if you're getting technical and want your color to be 100% precise, then I'd say go for the sliders.

But I think its safe to say I know a way worse color picking tool, and that is this weird-ass.... thing...that baffled me when I tried out Flash-CS5.5. Don't even know what to call this thing. It's got this strange hue-slider wich seems to combine two colors on the chart next to it. Still nice you can adjust all the values with the numbers and percentages on the right, but that weird 2-hue chart and slider just don't make any sense to me at all. Maybe somebody who's used to this method could explain the merrit of this.

iu_1132364_2438174.png

And maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I still prefer this old-school badboi for selecting my colors. Got all your hues on the chart, all nice in one clear overview, just go up or down on the chart for saturation, and adjust the brightness on the slider next to it. And you can still tinker with the values by changing the numbers bellow. (nvm the screenshot having Dutch text, you get the picture)

iu_1132365_2438174.png

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-20 13:21:12

Aight, to actually stay on topic and awnser the question, how do I color drawings?

With the most teeny-weeny little pencils of course!

iu_1132412_2438174.webp

iu_1132413_2438174.webp

How to start drawing? For humanoid art; think of pose (considering what the characters' personality is) then draw it

Similar for the colors; once the lineart's finished, I color it in or use a fill bucket depending on what I'm using

Everything else comes later: shading, lights, ect. Usually is a "maybe" depending on how I want the picture to look and/or if what I'm using supports that

BBS Signature

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-20 22:52:23

At 12/20/23 11:21 AM, Guidodinho wrote:

I think the tone is just exageration for entertainment purposes, its undeniable that the color-wheel does its job just fine, but compared to the control the sliders give, the wheel is way more loosey-goosey. Just a matter of prefference, if you just want to quickly get a color, then the color-wheel is way more time efficient, just 2 simple mouse-clicks and you got a color. But if you're getting technical and want your color to be 100% precise, then I'd say go for the sliders.
But I think its safe to say I know a way worse color picking tool, and that is this weird-ass.... thing...that baffled me when I tried out Flash-CS5.5. Don't even know what to call this thing. It's got this strange hue-slider wich seems to combine two colors on the chart next to it. Still nice you can adjust all the values with the numbers and percentages on the right, but that weird 2-hue chart and slider just don't make any sense to me at all. Maybe somebody who's used to this method could explain the merrit of this.

And maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I still prefer this old-school badboi for selecting my colors. Got all your hues on the chart, all nice in one clear overview, just go up or down on the chart for saturation, and adjust the brightness on the slider next to it. And you can still tinker with the values by changing the numbers bellow. (nvm the screenshot having Dutch text, you get the picture)

Holy shit, that first pic looks like a nightmare to use...

At 12/20/23 11:21 AM, Guidodinho wrote: And maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I still prefer this old-school badboi for selecting my colors. Got all your hues on the chart, all nice in one clear overview, just go up or down on the chart for saturation, and adjust the brightness on the slider next to it. And you can still tinker with the values by changing the numbers bellow. (nvm the screenshot having Dutch text, you get the picture)

Here's screenshot of colour-things on my digital workspace. I am also quite oldschool - I did use coloorsus plugin some point, but it had always problem with each software upgrade and it randomly forgetting license details. So I just use this two.

I additionally use 10% grey scaling, but that's different software and different methods to fill areas.

iu_1132778_16926282.jpg

And if I click on the color change panel manually on side I get also that

iu_1132779_16926282.jpg

It simply is the best!

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-21 14:14:57

At 12/21/23 03:15 AM, Tenebrare wrote:
At 12/20/23 11:21 AM, Guidodinho wrote: And maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I still prefer this old-school badboi for selecting my colors. Got all your hues on the chart, all nice in one clear overview, just go up or down on the chart for saturation, and adjust the brightness on the slider next to it. And you can still tinker with the values by changing the numbers bellow. (nvm the screenshot having Dutch text, you get the picture)
Here's screenshot of colour-things on my digital workspace. I am also quite oldschool - I did use coloorsus plugin some point, but it had always problem with each software upgrade and it randomly forgetting license details. So I just use this two.

I additionally use 10% grey scaling, but that's different software and different methods to fill areas.

And if I click on the color change panel manually on side I get also that

It simply is the best!

U know... That last screenshot, its basically the color-wheel on the left half of the image, but the wheel got cut and straightened into a vertical bar.

And on the right half, you pretty much have the color-sliders, but just working with number inputs.

Of course it's simply the best, cause you just have both of them next to eachother, you clever sonofabeach!

Response to How do You Color Drawings? 2023-12-21 14:24:10

At 12/20/23 10:52 PM, GetterRocka wrote:
At 12/20/23 11:21 AM, Guidodinho wrote:

Holy shit, that first pic looks like a nightmare to use...

Understandably, and It really would have been if I decided I should fill in all of the water with blue as well, so I only did like the wavey lines.

But if you tilt the pencil enough, so you don't only use the absolute little tippy end, to get the maximum surface for filling in, and move your whole arm instead of only your wrist and hand. Then its just as much work as most other regular sized pencils, just doesn't last as long till it runs out.