00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AlsoTlant just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How did you get your art style?

459 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 00:09:26

All artists have an art style (because logic), but every art style has an story behind (were decisions, personality, objectives and many other things play an important role), so the question is, How did you get your actual art style or art styles, and have you had others before that one?

In my case, I used to draw with black lineart and solid colors, and later introduced gradients for lighting and shading. I still use that art style in non digital drawings, as I remark with pen the borders, then color everything (I'll let some examples below). However, in digital, my art style shifted, originally to art without borders, and used solid shadows and solid illumination. The illumination disappeared for a while and shadows too eventually, as I wanted an art style easy to do 'cause I was lazy (During these times I drawed with a mouse).

However, I found out when things of similar colors overlapped, they mesh together (because logic again). Sorted that by re-adding shades, but only using them to separate two objects of similar colors. That was my path for a time until it became easier for me to draw anything, and eventually re-added lighting and gradients for drawings that needed it. From there, I've been deliberately switching those parts, and maintaining the solid coloring and separative shading (as you will see in my profile's art).

iu_1125699_10186085.webpiu_1125700_10186085.pngiu_1125701_10186085.png

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 01:11:56

I don't even remember. I guess it was via trial and error.

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 01:42:38

This is written on my dna

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 01:58:14

Over a decade of Warhammer and Japanese horror brainrot.

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 02:41:56

Flash media of the 2000s.

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 03:17:10

HOOO BOI

It's quite a long story but let's say that everything started with a tutorial of how to draw Mephiles lmao

At the start i just repeated the same sketches over and over again and then... anime came to my life, for a while i tried to mimick the anime style (finally stopped drawing Mephiles for the 3243243 time lmao), for starters i just drawed chibis

and nothing more.

Then i met Brian O'Malley stories and Funamusea at the same time and there... begins the story of my art style, couldn't decide for an artstyle sooo had the brilliant idea of blend the 2 art styles in one and the result? a v cool thing! and well

recently took some inspiration of some friends sooo that helped me a lot with this current art style lmao

iu_1125773_8400058.webp

Soooo basically everything started bc one day i wanted to draw Mephiles and that path took us right here and that path which honestly? i'm proud of it (i could elaborate more but it's REEEEAAAALYYY extensive soooo maybe another day lmao)

The goofy ahh penguin, creator of Deep Sea Prisoner! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 04:28:59

I thought my drawings were looking kinda bland, one day I for some reason decided to do one with very thick black lines and liked it a lot, then I took the route of "less is more".

(・∀・)

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 04:58:52

A few years ago (2019), I literally just picked up a piece of paper and started brute forcing junk until I produced a half-acceptable drawing. That was my first time taking drawing seriously, so I'm relatively new at this still!

I guess a more goofy style was pretty likely. I've always had a fascination for Nintendo's big nosed characters, mainly the Mario Bros. and Wario/Walugi, and also had a strong affinity to Domino's Noid... mostly because of Yo! Noid 2. Big noses and tight together eyes were probably a guarantee.

The Yo! Noid 2 part is why video game, Viva Hexagon!'s character is based on The Noid, and why there's a secret dab button in my game. This is the first time I'm mentioning this dab button to the public, good luck finding it if you care.

When I was in school, I had a bunch of images of Wario and the Noid (and a few anime girls with humongous breast) on my calculator (It was a somewhat fancy one, but not TOO fancy), so I'd doodle Wario and the Noid a lot, and often give them massive titties. This is what lead up to what I opened the post with, since I wanted to draw more Wario, The Noid(, and boobs.)

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 09:23:41

At 12/6/23 01:11 AM, CzySzy wrote: I don't even remember. I guess it was via trial and error.

Yeah, I believe we all gathered an art style that way tho

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 09:28:51

At 12/6/23 03:17 AM, Chuw-Croissantier wrote: HOOO BOI

It's quite a long story but let's say that everything started with a tutorial of how to draw Mephiles lmao

At the start i just repeated the same sketches over and over again and then... anime came to my life, for a while i tried to mimick the anime style (finally stopped drawing Mephiles for the 3243243 time lmao), for starters i just drawed chibis
and nothing more.

Then i met Brian O'Malley stories and Funamusea at the same time and there... begins the story of my art style, couldn't decide for an artstyle sooo had the brilliant idea of blend the 2 art styles in one and the result? a v cool thing! and well
recently took some inspiration of some friends sooo that helped me a lot with this current art style lmao

Soooo basically everything started bc one day i wanted to draw Mephiles and that path took us right here and that path which honestly? i'm proud of it (i could elaborate more but it's REEEEAAAALYYY extensive soooo maybe another day lmao)

Interesting story. Guess we all have drawn some characters many times to the obsession point, in my case happened with PVZ plants. Also, seems we finally meet out of the SS discord

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 09:44:42

At 12/6/23 04:28 AM, TheShokBlok wrote: I thought my drawings were looking kinda bland, one day I for some reason decided to do one with very thick black lines and liked it a lot, then I took the route of "less is more".

I saw your art, I think I see what you're talking about. Also, love you AMA's, I think is a neat idea

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 09:46:26

At 12/6/23 09:28 AM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote:
At 12/6/23 03:17 AM, Chuw-Croissantier wrote: HOOO BOI

and nothing more.

Interesting story. Guess we all have drawn some characters many times to the obsession point, in my case happened with PVZ plants. Also, seems we finally meet out of the SS discord

Just checked the NG secret santa discord and lol yeah, small world momment, hi btw!

The goofy ahh penguin, creator of Deep Sea Prisoner! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 09:50:19

At 12/6/23 04:58 AM, zeddy1267 wrote: A few years ago (2019), I literally just picked up a piece of paper and started brute forcing junk until I produced a half-acceptable drawing. That was my first time taking drawing seriously, so I'm relatively new at this still!

I guess a more goofy style was pretty likely. I've always had a fascination for Nintendo's big nosed characters, mainly the Mario Bros. and Wario/Walugi, and also had a strong affinity to Domino's Noid... mostly because of Yo! Noid 2. Big noses and tight together eyes were probably a guarantee.

The Yo! Noid 2 part is why video game, Viva Hexagon!'s character is based on The Noid, and why there's a secret dab button in my game. This is the first time I'm mentioning this dab button to the public, good luck finding it if you care.

When I was in school, I had a bunch of images of Wario and the Noid (and a few anime girls with humongous breast) on my calculator (It was a somewhat fancy one, but not TOO fancy), so I'd doodle Wario and the Noid a lot, and often give them massive titties. This is what lead up to what I opened the post with, since I wanted to draw more Wario, The Noid(, and boobs.)

Weird but lovely origin story. Also, I checked your profile, It's very godlike (at least for me). I'll give a try to your game later

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 09:54:46

At 12/6/23 09:50 AM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote:
At 12/6/23 04:58 AM, zeddy1267 wrote: A few years ago (2019), I literally just picked up a piece of paper and started brute forcing junk until I produced a half-acceptable drawing. That was my first time taking drawing seriously, so I'm relatively new at this still!

Weird but lovely origin story. Also, I checked your profile, It's very godlike (at least for me). I'll give a try to your game later

Just be warned that the game's tutorial is a long read because I don't know game design :) (You can probably get away with skimming most of it)

But back on topic, thank you! People often don't compliment my art, so it means a lot that you even took the time out of your day to check out my profile!

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 11:50:04

I have always had two distinctive styles - painterly/more refined and sketchy/simplified. And my currently "simplified" style is me artificially changing the old one into something very different. So I got it by purposely 'NOT' doing what I would normally do and adopting techniques I may not necessarily like doing naturally, but are needed for the outcome. I did for speed mainly, but also to look a bit more like people, who inspire me.

This naturally had some impact also to my painterly style.

I have read that many scholars do not believe in conscious and artificial style changes, but took me 3 months+inktober stress and here I am, proving some art snobs wrong as if it cannot be done.

Otherwise I believe I am just sum of things I enjoy and experience I have. An art style is fusion of things we consume. Once we have developed some kind of style we can do things as I did - change it knowingly.

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 12:22:22

I tend to go with a very simple art style. I still like to put detail into the designs and make sure they're polished, but I try to veer away from overly complex, cluttered designs

A big reason for that being that I spent a lot of time working on a webcomic and realized I had to find a way to make the art look appealing but cut the workload down so I could finish multiple drawings in a reasonable amount of time

I also think my personality plays into it too. I'd be a very logically driven person, I don't like "feeling things out". It's why I struggle with painting, which I've been trying to work on, it sorta requires you to eyeball things and get across a tonne of little subtleties. With my usual practice of cel shading, it feels more methodical. The darks go here, the mids go here, the lights go here, it keeps things very distinct in my mind

Then there's just stuff I think looks cool personally lol. I love doing bold, black lineart for my characters cuz I feel they pop a lot more and it's easy to read where each part goes and overlaps

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 13:28:37

At 12/6/23 12:22 PM, DozyMike wrote: I tend to go with a very simple art style. I still like to put detail into the designs and make sure they're polished, but I try to veer away from overly complex, cluttered designs

A big reason for that being that I spent a lot of time working on a webcomic and realized I had to find a way to make the art look appealing but cut the workload down so I could finish multiple drawings in a reasonable amount of time

I also think my personality plays into it too. I'd be a very logically driven person, I don't like "feeling things out". It's why I struggle with painting, which I've been trying to work on, it sorta requires you to eyeball things and get across a tonne of little subtleties. With my usual practice of cel shading, it feels more methodical. The darks go here, the mids go here, the lights go here, it keeps things very distinct in my mind

Then there's just stuff I think looks cool personally lol. I love doing bold, black lineart for my characters cuz I feel they pop a lot more and it's easy to read where each part goes and overlaps

Curiously, I'm metodical and logical when it comes to drawing too, but only if i'm drawing mechanisms. For me, a character can be totally ilogical as long as they have a reason for, or function for whatever reason they were created (hence Kinbari the fairy, my OC, as an easy scapade for bondage situations and some goofy shenaningans).

BBS Signature

By stealing every characteristic I thought looked cool.

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 15:09:29

Back then my art style had no real identity, just a mish-mash of stuff I liked.

And then I decided to have a go at the FNF art style coz it was awesome.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 15:32:45

At 12/6/23 03:06 PM, SeijiArt wrote: By stealing every characteristic I thought looked cool.

That's a way to do it (Nasty thief)

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 15:34:35

At 12/6/23 03:09 PM, BoiledMilkz wrote: Back then my art style had no real identity, just a mish-mash of stuff I liked.

Sorry if i'm blind or something, but I fail to see the FNF art style in your art

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 15:35:30

At 12/6/23 03:34 PM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote:
At 12/6/23 03:09 PM, BoiledMilkz wrote: Back then my art style had no real identity, just a mish-mash of stuff I liked.

Sorry if i'm blind or something, but I fail to see the FNF art style in your art

Yeah, I haven't really got it exactly.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-06 17:18:54

I’ve had many many art styles in the past, all based off of what I liked at the time. There’s been anime-esque styles (vomit), rubberhose-esque styles, OFF-inspired styles (those only lasted about a week) and more.

My most recent style (and the one I’ve kept much longer than the others) is a good mish-mash of all my favourite things in art. And it isn’t directly taken from anything I’m into at the moment, so I reckon it has a much bigger chance of lasting a lot longer than the others.

I’ve learned different things from each of my past styles, and incorporated those things into my current art, so they’re still there in spirit!

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 08:22:10

Just by drawing almost every day all my life. Simple as that. It eventually evolved from stickmen to what it is now. Sonic Adventure poses are an inspiration to me so I guess there is that.

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 09:59:54

I got my art style by watching a lot of anime like Great Teacher Onizuka, Cromartie High School, Soul Eater and One Piece until I shifted more into the cartoony side like Catscratch and Robot and Monster.

enter hyperspace.

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 13:04:33

My style has been formed from a mixture of things I've always liked seeing done in art, and also from me trying to , over time , find ways to make parts I don't enjoy about the drawing process more fun to do.

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 13:09:42

At 12/7/23 01:04 PM, colorsCrimsonTears wrote: My style has been formed from a mixture of things I've always liked seeing done in art, and also from me trying to , over time , find ways to make parts I don't enjoy about the drawing process more fun to do.

That's actually very clever. I applaud you for that

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 13:56:29

my art style is honestly meant to just be creepy and cute at the same time. lots of inspiration from Tim Burton, old mallgoth mascots (ie Ruby Gloom), 2000's emo/scene/goth art styles, stuff like that. unrestricted internet access is also what introduced me to furries and gore art so that definitely had an effect on me lmfao. (the furry thing i can attribute more towards liking FNAF, Undertale, and MLP as a kid, tho.) basically my art style is what you get when a horror-obsessed child grows up in the 2010s and realizes she likes drawing animals.

some recent examples of my art if ur curious:

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 14:05:19

At 12/7/23 01:56 PM, maniczombiedreamgirl wrote: my art style is honestly meant to just be creepy and cute at the same time. lots of inspiration from Tim Burton, old mallgoth mascots (ie Ruby Gloom), 2000's emo/scene/goth art styles, stuff like that. unrestricted internet access is also what introduced me to furries and gore art so that definitely had an effect on me lmfao. (the furry thing i can attribute more towards liking FNAF, Undertale, and MLP as a kid, tho.) basically my art style is what you get when a horror-obsessed child grows up in the 2010s and realizes she likes drawing animals.
some recent examples of my art if ur curious:
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/maniczombiedreamgirl/have-an-open-mind
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/maniczombiedreamgirl/x-ray-vision
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/maniczombiedreamgirl/commission-for-directorballoon

I already saw those pieces btw (I'm following you). I indeed see influences of Tim Burton in your work, and I like when things that are creppy try to look cute (gives a peculiar effect that I can't describe)

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 14:06:39

It came from a mix of comic/manga artists I liked growing up and small artists I follow online that helped me learn anatomy in some way (ex. ben_eblen_design). I took stuff from their art that I liked and used it in my own. If I want a character in a drawing to look more detailed or "pretty", I look at ball joint dolls.