00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How did you get your art style?

451 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 15:26:17

As someone who genuinely spent maybe a good three year gap trying to find myself in my art- what really and truly freed me and helped me solidify my style was drawing what came natural.

For a bit more clarity- I think what emphasizes itself as a problem with artists trying to develop themselves is the desire to try and replicate a style or meet the standard of how others draw. If you are trying to MAKE your art style into something specific, I believe you're going to struggle more. If you just draw and let your own interests flourish without trying to meet some sort of- imaginary quota, not telling yourself your art needs to look a certain way, then you'll feel far more free and your art with show for that.

Genuinely just draw with abandon- don't focus on the outcome or meeting the standard of another style, just CREATE.

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 15:28:40

At 12/7/23 03:26 PM, TheFulvousFox wrote: As someone who genuinely spent maybe a good three year gap trying to find myself in my art- what really and truly freed me and helped me solidify my style was drawing what came natural.

For a bit more clarity- I think what emphasizes itself as a problem with artists trying to develop themselves is the desire to try and replicate a style or meet the standard of how others draw. If you are trying to MAKE your art style into something specific, I believe you're going to struggle more. If you just draw and let your own interests flourish without trying to meet some sort of- imaginary quota, not telling yourself your art needs to look a certain way, then you'll feel far more free and your art with show for that.

Genuinely just draw with abandon- don't focus on the outcome or meeting the standard of another style, just CREATE.

I'm glad you could find yourself, and that you shared such important knowledge. Hope every artist could realize that

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 15:37:47

At 12/6/23 12:09 AM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote: All artists have an art style (because logic), but every art style has an story behind (were decisions, personality, objectives and many other things play an important role), so the question is, How did you get your actual art style or art styles, and have you had others before that one?

In my case, I used to draw with black lineart and solid colors, and later introduced gradients for lighting and shading. I still use that art style in non digital drawings, as I remark with pen the borders, then color everything (I'll let some examples below). However, in digital, my art style shifted, originally to art without borders, and used solid shadows and solid illumination. The illumination disappeared for a while and shadows too eventually, as I wanted an art style easy to do 'cause I was lazy (During these times I drawed with a mouse).

However, I found out when things of similar colors overlapped, they mesh together (because logic again). Sorted that by re-adding shades, but only using them to separate two objects of similar colors. That was my path for a time until it became easier for me to draw anything, and eventually re-added lighting and gradients for drawings that needed it. From there, I've been deliberately switching those parts, and maintaining the solid coloring and separative shading (as you will see in my profile's art).

I’ve had many inspirations over the last 3 years. But my biggest influences are Adventure and Anime (except for the bad stuff).

iu_1126391_11179990.png

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 16:29:04

I draw what I liked. that's it

GRR <-- that's my signature

Pretty ironic how I draw cowboys even though I'm First nations ;)

BBS Signature

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 16:35:38

I'd say I haven't really found it yet. Style is a method of informed simplification - it comes after years of drawing without a core style until things sorta congeal around a common set of techniques. I don't think I've studied or worked on my own stuff enough to comfortably say that that's happened. I have plenty of influences, I can draw in other artists' styles, but there's not much I'd call "mine."

Response to How did you get your art style? 2023-12-07 16:39:21

At 12/7/23 04:35 PM, Skoops wrote: I'd say I haven't really found it yet. Style is a method of informed simplification - it comes after years of drawing without a core style until things sorta congeal around a common set of techniques. I don't think I've studied or worked on my own stuff enough to comfortably say that that's happened. I have plenty of influences, I can draw in other artists' styles, but there's not much I'd call "mine."

I see what you're saying. I'm currently thinking on changing my own art style as I found out there might be others i'm interested for, and apparently, my art style gives headaches for certain designs

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature