00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gamehybrid just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I wanna create music, wanna help?

390 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-11-27 12:07:29

Hey! I wanna start making music, but I don't know ANYTHING. about music. All I have is a phone, a voice and passion.

Any tips, apps or ideas?

Until Death Do Us Part

BBS Signature

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-11-27 13:28:46

You could try downloading FL Studio for phone and see some tutorials to get started to it!

BBS Signature

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-11-27 15:12:54

have to agree with latadenata, try FLM, it's the most convenient daw for mobile phones in my opinion. you can also try garageband in case you own an iphone.

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-11-27 16:46:06

I'd recommend learning the basics of music theory.

and i agree with the posts above checking out fl studio mobile. its really good for starting out and making music.

schnoz

schnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnozschnoz

BBS Signature

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-11-27 17:53:28

At 11/27/23 12:07 PM, Olexxie wrote: Hey! I wanna start making music, but I don't know ANYTHING. about music. All I have is a phone, a voice and passion.

Any tips, apps or ideas?

Get Koala Sampler on mobile and watch some tutorials. It's the most immediate music creation software I've ever used, no thoery or previous musical knowledge required. Here's the website: https://www.koalasampler.com/

BBS Signature

learn music theory

make anything, it doesn't matter what is it.

make it simple

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-12-01 19:29:54

Definitely learn some theory, don’t get SunVox because it is super weird technically speaking, and it would do you a lot of good to learn an instrument as well!! I have played piano for about 7 years now and it is so rewarding. You could also try guitar, as that’s another one that a lot of people like to play while singing. Watch plenty of tutorials on whatever software you end up choosing (FL Mobile is a great pick, although some people have had success with GarageBand iOS as well). And above all, have fun with it! Express yourself! Be creative! The world of music has so much to offer. It can be such a fun experience if you trust the process and embrace the journey.

you guys like my tunes?

BBS Signature

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-12-01 22:35:03

At 11/27/23 12:07 PM, Olexxie wrote: Hey! I wanna start making music, but I don't know ANYTHING. about music. All I have is a phone, a voice and passion.

Any tips, apps or ideas?

Lot of people say learn music theory but Ill be the odd one out and say you DONT need to right away. I didn't, you sorta learn it as you go anyway.

Best bet is to get a better setup than a phone, Garageband or FLM are decent on phone, but you're stunting yourself, even an older laptop would do.

My best template is this:

• Cakewalk by Bandlab or any other free DAW (I'm just biased cause I'm used to Cakewalk)
  • Setting up necessary VSTs (digital instruments basically), plugins (like EQ or compressor) and getting libraries
  • Creating templates (as in Drum 1, Guitar 1, etc. so you don't just keep setting up everything every 15 minutes)
  • Learning mixing and mastering (youtube videos, making templates of said mixes or plugins)

Do as you wish from there but that's how I'd restart if I had the chance

EJECTO SEATO CUZ

BBS Signature

Any tips, apps or ideas?

totally look into learning basic music theory online. theres countless videos that are shortform that guide you into the right direction on youtube! i found that learning piano helped a lot with music theory, so try learning one instrument as well to get a feel for the keys. as for DAWs, FL studio is beginner friendly and is what i use as well!

also don't try to over achieve, your first project will be simple, always. then you build off of it! taking musical inspiration from artists you like helps as well.

guh

BBS Signature

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-12-02 08:46:39

You don't really need a lot of music theory. All I needed to start was learning about major and minor keys as well as how to make chords.

I don't know what genre your song would be but if you were to make a melody, I recommend you come up with a rhythm first. It's easier to change notes when the rhythm is already laid out.

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-12-02 14:47:10

Make first. Learn later. I had some classical teaching, but nothing helped get me started quite as... starting. Just take your best guess and make... SOMETHING. Don't focus on the quality, if you do, you'll be paralyzed and never put something out there. Once you've made something, a couple of things, then you can slowly start learning more and incorporating new techniques to what you make.

Jerma985's subtitle editor.

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-12-02 16:23:54

If you have a PC: FL Studio

If you have a Mac: Logic Pro X.

It's been a while since I composed something but those are programs I'd mess with if I need to do audio editing or music composing.

Response to I wanna create music, wanna help? 2023-12-02 20:28:35

At 11/27/23 03:12 PM, wineplume wrote: have to agree with latadenata, try FLM, it's the most convenient daw for mobile phones in my opinion. you can also try garageband in case you own an iphone.

Agreed. Mobile daws are getting to the point they are just as powerful as desktop and laptop, now that phones are like super computers. The only issue you will have is making sure you have good headphones for mixing and mastering.

As for music theory, I don't recommend trying to learn it ALL right away. Rather I recommend learning songwriting and harmonizing, as well as good singing technique.

Learn the ins and outs of your DAW of choice to a T. Don't be afraid to use loops and samples on occasion, or be tempted to say a given genre is not real music. I assure you, there is space for whatever you don't happen to like somewhere in the stratosphere, musically speaking!

If you have questions about any of the above, feel free to reply or @ me

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature