00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

officialkingcrab0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Are self-taught artists better than professionally-taught

689 Views | 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is just a random thought to me but everytime when I see a young artist who went to art school, their art looks inferior to their self-taught counterparts.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too judgemental or I'm not a well-educated enough into the subject, but that's just my opinion. As every time I see a young professional-taught artist, their air has realistic bits in certain areas that makes it looks weird, odd faces, and a semi-uncanny valley effect.

I personally don't think it really makes a difference, as a self-taught artist.

I think it's less about whether you went to art school or not and more about how you choose to use the things you've learned. If someone went to art school and their art looked a bit uncanny, I'd probably think it wasn't the art school that made their art look like that, but rather the artist themselves. I'd just think they're using the things they've learned in a wrong way. Then again, there isn't really a "wrong way" in art in my opinion (unless you want to achieve proper realism and stuff), people can draw however they want even if it looks weird to other people.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

At 11/26/23 08:25 PM, SporgyTheMenace wrote: This is just a random thought to me but everytime when I see a young artist who went to art school, their art looks inferior to their self-taught counterparts.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too judgemental or I'm not a well-educated enough into the subject, but that's just my opinion. As every time I see a young professional-taught artist, their air has realistic bits in certain areas that makes it looks weird, odd faces, and a semi-uncanny valley effect.

nah you know what i do see your point LOL

i'm sure folks from art school would have a better grasp or understanding of the fundamentals of art, aka the whole realistic stuff (i've never been to art school but i'm fairly certain that they generally make students reference irl stuff there. i don't think they're gonna have lessons about anime there LMAO)

as for self-taught, i feel like a handful of them would stick more to a style or two, since they may not necessarily know every fundamentals in art (anatomy especially comes to mind haha), hence probably more stylistic/cartoony stuff

this is all coming from someone who hasn't really seen much from art school though, nor know of anyone that attends art school, so these are just speculations lolol

for your question though, i don't know. i don't necessarily check if the artists i liked have attended art school or not lol

- wamy :3

BBS Signature

Technically speaking, an artist that goes to a school should be better than an artist that doesn't, since that way should be easier to learn. However, passionately speaking, who cares more about his work? Talking objectively about if an artist is better because he went to school or not tends to be a problem due to things like the interests of the artist and how much he actually wants to improve his technique.

Now, someone who went to school has other opportunities, such as scholarships, visits from important people or companies, a degree, a school work portfolio, etc.

People who are self-taught have to build their own portfolio, disciplinate themselves, and keep constancy in their work. However, if the guy that self-taught himself, is very passionate, and wishes to always surpass his limits, while the one that studied wants money, and just does what they tell him to do, it's obvious who's eventually gonna be better

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

At 11/26/23 08:56 PM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote: Technically speaking, an artist that goes to a school should be better than an artist that doesn't, since that way should be easier to learn. However, passionately speaking, who cares more about his work? Talking objectively about if an artist is better because he went to school or not tends to be a problem due to things like the interests of the artist and how much he actually wants to improve his technique.

Now, someone who went to school has other opportunities, such as scholarships, visits from important people or companies, a degree, a school work portfolio, etc.

People who are self-taught have to build their own portfolio, disciplinate themselves, and keep constancy in their work. However, if the guy that self-taught himself, is very passionate, and wishes to always surpass his limits, while the one that studied wants money, and just does what they tell him to do, it's obvious who's eventually gonna be better

This is the soo true

Artist please check out my art, and musician please check out my music.

BBS Signature

It comes down to the individual's drive to learn. There'll be exceptions, but in general:

Motivated person with formal education > Motivated person without formal education

Lazy person with formal education = Lazy person without formal education

Motivated person without formal education > Lazy person with formal education

At 11/26/23 08:52 PM, wamyremy wrote:
At 11/26/23 08:25 PM, SporgyTheMenace wrote: This is just a random thought to me but everytime when I see a young artist who went to art school, their art looks inferior to their self-taught counterparts.

nah you know what i do see your point LOL

i'm sure folks from art school would have a better grasp or understanding of the fundamentals of art, aka the whole realistic stuff (i've never been to art school but i'm fairly certain that they generally make students reference irl stuff there. i don't think they're gonna have lessons about anime there LMAO)

as for self-taught, i feel like a handful of them would stick more to a style or two, since they may not necessarily know every fundamentals in art (anatomy especially comes to mind haha), hence probably more stylistic/cartoony stuff

this is all coming from someone who hasn't really seen much from art school though, nor know of anyone that attends art school, so these are just speculations lolol

for your question though, i don't know. i don't necessarily check if the artists i liked have attended art school or not lol

Maybe I'm just being a hater as the only professionally-taught artist I interacted had art that came straight out of an amateur DeviantArt user and acted like a complete total ass, saying "fuck you I guess" because I made a humorous complement to their art.

i think this is more dependent on the person rather than how they are taught. there's a degree of self-direction needed to become better in any skill. going to art school doesn't guarantee you becoming better at art after all. you need to put in the effort to become better and most importantly, you don't stop learning even after school or getting a job.

as for the realistic bit, stylizations ultimately still derive from the same basis that is real life so you are taught to learn from it. however, this can subconciously push the students to pursue a more realistic style as the curriculum is geared towards it. you get inspired by the community and get nudged towards the same goal.

i dont think going to art school can make your art worse thou, it can make you realise how objectively bad your art is and thus improve on it. but i've heard stories where art instructors insult the students about their submissions, thats where art schools may be a negative.

It shouldn't really matter one way or another if someone is "professionally" taught or not in these kinds of creative fields. It'll definitely be a bigger deal if it was something along the lines something like the medical field (I wouldn't trust someone who didn't study/do the education/work for that sort of thing) .. but for "artists" I don't think it really matters too much.

If you have beef with someone who is a professional artist and they have a salty attitude about it, that's less of a "professional artist" thing and more of just meeting someone who just has a salty attitude. In the same way around, it's the same way for someone who doesn't have a professional background going around and picking fights because there's a disconnect that goes a bit deeper than having or not having a professional background.

At least to me, it really shouldn't matter either way because they're both artists.

"Self-taught" is a very broad term. Instead of a Boolean "self-taught or not" type deal, it's more of a spectrum. Some call themselves "self-taught" just because they've never enrolled in a dedicated art school but have taken online courses, while others have never taken any sort of mentorship but have relied on books and/or YouTube tutorials, while some legitimately are the closest thing to "self-taught" (95% of the way) by improving solely through drawing still lifes.

Due to all those artists online who brag about being "self-taught" by putting it in their Twitter/Instagram bios, I used to be obsessed with being able to call myself that to the point that I refused the prospect of any sort of external learning resources, even making an NG post on my old account asking how to keep the "rights" to the "self-taught" title. I thought I had to somehow magically absorb the knowledge without using anything to help me. I didn't get over it until I watched this video:

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

I promise you - majority of those "self-taught" and what not prodigies online are lying on web for the attention points. Sure may have not gone to some school, but courses they absorb online is not self-taught, they are following still a course or "learning" material.

I want to see that self taught person with 0 online courses building itself up from 0. No such person. It is 0 difference if that education comes from YouTube lecturer or online lecturer from uni.

I dont know, i dont even know where do i belong. Is engineering drawings is also example of art subject? Because i enrolled in that subject 2 years ago.

At 11/27/23 12:48 PM, switzrr wrote: "Self-taught" is a very broad term. Instead of a Boolean "self-taught or not" type deal, it's more of a spectrum. Some call themselves "self-taught" just because they've never enrolled in a dedicated art school but have taken online courses, while others have never taken any sort of mentorship but have relied on books and/or YouTube tutorials, while some legitimately are the closest thing to "self-taught" (95% of the way) by improving solely through drawing still lifes.

Due to all those artists online who brag about being "self-taught" by putting it in their Twitter/Instagram bios, I used to be obsessed with being able to call myself that to the point that I refused the prospect of any sort of external learning resources, even making an NG post on my old account asking how to keep the "rights" to the "self-taught" title. I thought I had to somehow magically absorb the knowledge without using anything to help me. I didn't get over it until I watched this video:

I always thought self-taught meant learning from resources you gathered and having self discipline, not this weird social media narcissism shit.

At 11/27/23 02:07 PM, Tenebrare wrote: I promise you - majority of those "self-taught" and what not prodigies online are lying on web for the attention points. Sure may have not gone to some school, but courses they absorb online is not self-taught, they are following still a course or "learning" material.

I want to see that self taught person with 0 online courses building itself up from 0. No such person. It is 0 difference if that education comes from YouTube lecturer or online lecturer from uni.

Felt like I got scammed

At 11/27/23 02:07 PM, Tenebrare wrote: I promise you - majority of those "self-taught" and what not prodigies online are lying on web for the attention points. Sure may have not gone to some school, but courses they absorb online is not self-taught, they are following still a course or "learning" material.

Self-taught usually refers to people who acquire knowledge on one's own initiative, rather than through formal instruction or training. Basically no mentorship.

Mentorship being the key part. Self-taught still needs resources. Whether it being books, images and or etc.

So it when it comes to stuff like youtube tutorials. That all depends if it's considered a form of mentorship/personal assistance or a resource.

At 11/27/23 08:06 PM, Dolorious wrote: Self-taught usually refers to people who acquire knowledge on one's own initiative, rather than through formal instruction or training. Basically no mentorship.
Mentorship being the key part. Self-taught still needs resources. Whether it being books, images and or etc.

So it when it comes to stuff like youtube tutorials. That all depends if it's considered a form of mentorship/personal assistance or a resource.

I get it, but people often wear it as a badge if they are somehow smarter or most importantly - too different form "the others" and this is what I claim they are not.

Like there are material out there that are pretty much university resources, and only thing between the two people in this is that other is not getting grades and passing an exam, and considering how useless contemporary university education in arts is, then there is little to no difference. Like why pay 1000s and 1000s to have some dude teach you how to prompt in MJ. Just read that .pdf file MJ fans have posted online and surf their gallery or have SD fans prompt helper open. Free.

And grading in art is overall weird, and so we all have here 2 differences, lack of grading and self-discipline. However in university setting a different pair of eyes might just help someone fix flaws faster or help on better self-search for types and techniques, but other than this pretty much everything is available online now.

Only art forms I'd go for school now would be glass and leather works. But not drawing and illustration.

Admitted university or courses can give you bonus on networking depending of school, but even there eventually counts your portfolio and no one cares what degree you have, when you have portfolio.

I think its more so about style than people who are worse at art. It can be hard for people who are learning strictly realism can have a harder time breaking down things into stylized work because they can have a problem with breaking the rules they put in place. While if you are learning more than one skill (ie. Realism, character design, animation) it's a little easier to bend the rules.

Stylized art is all about bending the rules we have In place.

But maybe I'm talking out of my ass cause I'm self taught

Your mom. my bed.

It depends, I guess. Though, I saw more art gods who never went to art school than art gods who went to art school. Perhaps it's because most people who join art schools do it to learn how to draw but struggle with learning alone ? Not sure.

Most self-taught artists draw better than me by the way ( I went to art-school ).

I wanted to become a Vaporeon but I'm always dehydrated.

I post art there : Carrd

BBS Signature

yesn't

TURKEYMAN

BBS Signature

At 11/28/23 01:18 PM, RamenButLeaf wrote: It depends, I guess. Though, I saw more art gods who never went to art school than art gods who went to art school. Perhaps it's because most people who join art schools do it to learn how to draw but struggle with learning alone ? Not sure.

Most self-taught artists draw better than me by the way ( I went to art-school ).

The main goal of a proper education isn't about learning the skills nowadays either as much as it is forming the connections and networking with others to get a very big headstart in the industry.

You might not be an amazing artist or even lack the skills overall .. but you already know some people and they already know you. So you'll be far more likely to land a career or at least have a foot in the door so you can both get paid and learn more of yourself at the same time.

A self-taught artist doesn't have that .. and while they can have amazing work .. it's also extremely difficult to get "noticed" when you don't have people who already know you and would unconditionally be aware of you. It's not impossible to get big .. but you won't have that safety net of networking/connections for people who can slingshot you forward and upwards.

Idk, I'm a self-taught artist but people who go to college for art have access to more materials and will probably make higher quality art than self-taught artists, you will have to pay a ton of money, but you would probably learn more quickly than if you were to teach yourself using videos.

At 11/29/23 11:38 AM, Alenicia wrote:
At 11/28/23 01:18 PM, RamenButLeaf wrote: It depends, I guess. Though, I saw more art gods who never went to art school than art gods who went to art school. Perhaps it's because most people who join art schools do it to learn how to draw but struggle with learning alone ? Not sure.

The main goal of a proper education isn't about learning the skills nowadays either as much as it is forming the connections and networking with others to get a very big headstart in the industry.

You might not be an amazing artist or even lack the skills overall .. but you already know some people and they already know you. So you'll be far more likely to land a career or at least have a foot in the door so you can both get paid and learn more of yourself at the same time.

A self-taught artist doesn't have that .. and while they can have amazing work .. it's also extremely difficult to get "noticed" when you don't have people who already know you and would unconditionally be aware of you. It's not impossible to get big .. but you won't have that safety net of networking/connections for people who can slingshot you forward and upwards.

I didn't think about this & I was starting to wonder if art school was necessary for people who count becoming professional artists. Thanks for letting me know about it !

BBS Signature

At 11/29/23 02:01 PM, RamenButLeaf wrote:

I didn't think about this & I was starting to wonder if art school was necessary for people who count becoming professional artists. Thanks for letting me know about it !

Yeah, it's the only reason why I would ever seriously consider more serious education because those people you meet (your classmates, your instructors, your peers, and even the people who visit) are people you'll likely meet and work within the professional world.

And it's also why having egos and attitudes regarding certain people who took certain steps or not (such as being self-taught or having an education) doesn't look so great in the long run .. because people with those attitudes aren't exactly those I think I would want to work with or want to associate with going forward if they aren't going to grow up.

At 11/29/23 02:54 PM, Alenicia wrote:
At 11/29/23 02:01 PM, RamenButLeaf wrote:

Yeah, it's the only reason why I would ever seriously consider more serious education because those people you meet (your classmates, your instructors, your peers, and even the people who visit) are people you'll likely meet and work within the professional world.

And it's also why having egos and attitudes regarding certain people who took certain steps or not (such as being self-taught or having an education) doesn't look so great in the long run .. because people with those attitudes aren't exactly those I think I would want to work with or want to associate with going forward if they aren't going to grow up.

This is nice. Professional artists would be comfortable working with people they already have connections with.

Luckily, I never met artists who brag about being self-taught or about taking classes. But they are definitely not the kind of people I would enjoy working with. Getting help with learning or not doesn't make anyone less an artist.

BBS Signature

When people ponder about importance of connections.

Ever asked how those really untalented and unskilled people get all those high profile works - especially with 0 reliable portfolio. Connections (and often parents money, but most importantly connections either their own or family).

I am sure in your own local town or village is some art on display that makes you think if a 5 year old did it. Yup - connections. My favorite latest display online/meme been the giant penis held by noodle hands statue somewhere in USA - which is so bad that you have 0 doubt that it was money laundry scheme between friends. I laughed so hard seeing something so bad I had to google if it was real.

There are a lot of examples of how connections are the most important part, not skills and schools and private courses are for that not for learning.

All I know is that I regret relying too much on talent and less on learning techniques.

im a chickenwing extremist

BBS Signature

There are certainly points to be made about artists that are self-taught; however the term "self-taught" is pretty much never true as I'm pretty sure all of us self-taught artists had to go on the internet to find out what we know, but I suppose when you say "self-taught" you refer to teaching one's self outside of the normalities of regular teaching, which honestly can have great benefits as the minds of each individual work different and should be allowed to grow and change through neuroplasticity at their own pace. I honestly envision a future where education in general is more of a "learn what you wanna learn" kinda system, and that makes me so happy for the next generations.

At 12/1/23 12:34 PM, Jojo wrote: There are certainly points to be made about artists that are self-taught; however the term "self-taught" is pretty much never true as I'm pretty sure all of us self-taught artists had to go on the internet to find out what we know, but I suppose when you say "self-taught" you refer to teaching one's self outside of the normalities of regular teaching, which honestly can have great benefits as the minds of each individual work different and should be allowed to grow and change through neuroplasticity at their own pace. I honestly envision a future where education in general is more of a "learn what you wanna learn" kinda system, and that makes me so happy for the next generations.

From all the arguments and points in the thread, everyone seems to say or allude that "self-taught" really just means "unorthodox-taught" and say that neither is superior and is all dependent on the individual artist.

But we can all agree that amino users suck balls harder than their dick when they see anyone 14 and under.

At 12/1/23 03:05 PM, SporgyTheMenace wrote:
At 12/1/23 12:34 PM, Jojo wrote: There are certainly points to be made about artists that are self-taught; however the term "self-taught" is pretty much never true as I'm pretty sure all of us self-taught artists had to go on the internet to find out what we know, but I suppose when you say "self-taught" you refer to teaching one's self outside of the normalities of regular teaching, which honestly can have great benefits as the minds of each individual work different and should be allowed to grow and change through neuroplasticity at their own pace. I honestly envision a future where education in general is more of a "learn what you wanna learn" kinda system, and that makes me so happy for the next generations.
From all the arguments and points in the thread, everyone seems to say or allude that "self-taught" really just means "unorthodox-taught" and say that neither is superior and is all dependent on the individual artist.

But we can all agree that amino users suck balls harder than their dick when they see anyone 14 and under.

I have never heard of aminoapps, but yeah, pedophiles can go to prison.

At 12/1/23 06:55 PM, Jojo wrote:
At 12/1/23 03:05 PM, SporgyTheMenace wrote:

I have never heard of aminoapps, but yeah, pedophiles can go to prison.

Imagine Reddit and Twitter had unholy incest baby, that's amino