00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

concavepgons just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop?

723 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I’ve been making art for years with my old Yoga Laptop with a bamboo pen, but now it’s getting harder and harder. I don’t want to do this anymore. I want to upgrade to a screen drawing tablet for my gaming PC, but I can’t find a good answer for this. Or maybe I’m too stupid

Tell me why drawing on a PC is better so I can have the balls to get one.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

At 11/24/23 03:01 AM, NoobClock666 wrote: I’ve been making art for years with my old Yoga Laptop with a bamboo pen, but now it’s getting harder and harder. I don’t want to do this anymore. I want to upgrade to a screen drawing tablet for my gaming PC, but I can’t find a good answer for this. Or maybe I’m too stupid
Tell me why drawing on a PC is better so I can have the balls to get one.

Well PCs are generally more powerful than laptops. I've been through multiple laptops and they definitely get worse over time. I'm not *super* tech savvy so I don't know the specifics but I can say with confidence that they do. As for why it's "better"; It's not that one is better than the other, it just depends on whether or not your hardware has issues. Personally I've been able to run my tablet on my laptop just as fine as I can on my PC

El Super Mario acaba de comer un hongo ancho.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 05:37:26

I had to look up how the hell a lenovo laptop was taking a wacom pen in the first place, but I guess that's a thing! Huh.

For the most part, the only advantage is hardware acceleration and the ability to work in higher resolutions, but I don't think you need those. Honestly, given how simple your work is, unless you're noticeably getting lag and your lines are cutting off or glitching out as you try to draw, there really isn't a reason for you to upgrade. If nothing is straight up broken, your fastest avenues to better accuracy and higher quality will come from leveling up your skills, not your hardware.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 05:39:19

I was actually wanting to look into one of those Lenovo Yoga laptops as a solution for drawing on-the-go alongside what I already have, but what is it on your side that is causing you issues or giving you problems?

But to answer your question, a desktop PC could be just as powerful, weaker, or stronger than a laptop and it really depends on the form factor and how much you're willing to spend to make that difference. Undoubtedly, the "equivalent" parts on a PC should ideally be nicer because you don't have to worry about things like batteries and heat causing you issues.

At 11/24/23 05:37 AM, Skoops wrote: I had to look up how the hell a lenovo laptop was taking a wacom pen in the first place, but I guess that's a thing! Huh.

For the most part, the only advantage is hardware acceleration and the ability to work in higher resolutions, but I don't think you need those. Honestly, given how simple your work is, unless you're noticeably getting lag and your lines are cutting off or glitching out as you try to draw, there really isn't a reason for you to upgrade. If nothing is straight up broken, your fastest avenues to better accuracy and higher quality will come from leveling up your skills, not your hardware.

Wait, I am getting lag and my lines are cutting off or glitching out as I try to draw. Damit! I should have said that in the post. So maybe I should upgrade.

Thank you.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 11:35:05

imo there is only 2 reasons you go with a laptop, portability and space requirements. pc will be better in all other aspects.

but based on your context, you have a laptop and a pc am i right?

so in actual fact, you are debating whether to get a pen tablet/display?

based on this reddit post, it seems like you can use the laptop as a pen display for your pc. but it never details how they got it working, with only another comment saying about using a hdmi to hdmi cable.

if you find that it doesnt work for you and still frustrated with the perfomance of your laptop for drawing applications, checkout The Seven Pens Tablet Buying Guide and their youtube channel

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 12:30:02

update about using lenovo yoga as drawing tablet, it seems like there are apps for it. virtualtablet or easycanvas where you connect by usb to your pc? not very sure how it works but you can look into it.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 13:13:21

I would imagine it's because laptops can't run that many good programs without suffering, I've never had a PC and only ever had a laptop as far as my own personal use goes, but I've seen in school that you can run more stuff on a PC.

Now I use an ipad pro 2 for all my drawings, I really do think it beats a drawing tablet as I've been using mine for 5 years, it's super transportable and can run art programs if you get the pen - cheaper than a PC and screen drawing tablet cost combined too, but you can still draw on the ipad as it has pen pressure. I would only get a drawing screen tablet if you are a professional, I have both drawing screen tablet and an ipad pro and 100% of the time I use the ipad pro.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 14:16:28

At 11/24/23 12:30 PM, lucifertan wrote: update about using lenovo yoga as drawing tablet, it seems like there are apps for it. virtualtablet or easycanvas where you connect by usb to your pc? not very sure how it works but you can look into it.

I've been looking for somthing like that. I really should have asked for that before. But I'm visiting my grandmother with my family, so I can’t do that with my gaming PC. But thank you so much.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

They're both PCs so functionally the same, what is this laptop slander lol. Tho if you're lappie's dying it might be time to get a new graphic tablet anyway, a gaming pc has better specs so you get a more responsive experience overall and opens up heavier stuff like 3D and animation if you want to.

If money's a concern you can get a screenless model instead, there's a learning curve to the disconnect but works just as well for drawing at a fraction of the price.

At 11/24/23 02:16 PM, NoobClock666 wrote:
At 11/24/23 12:30 PM, lucifertan wrote: update about using lenovo yoga as drawing tablet, it seems like there are apps for it. virtualtablet or easycanvas where you connect by usb to your pc? not very sure how it works but you can look into it.
I've been looking for somthing like that. I really should have asked for that before. But I'm visiting my grandmother with my family, so I can’t do that with my gaming PC. But thank you so much.

If you have an Android device you can use drawing tablets with them.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 16:45:51

At 11/24/23 03:18 PM, Riger44 wrote:

I have a Android phone. That's the only android I have.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 16:50:54

At 11/24/23 04:45 PM, NoobClock666 wrote:
At 11/24/23 03:18 PM, Riger44 wrote:
I have a Android phone. That's the only android I have.

I meant you can connect a drawing tablet to your phone and use that to draw on it. So you're not just limited to drawing on your gaming pc :)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nb9_VWYK3tU

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 17:19:53

At 11/24/23 03:15 PM, Riger44 wrote: They're both PCs so functionally the same, what is this laptop slander lol. Tho if you're lappie's dying it might be time to get a new graphic tablet anyway, a gaming pc has better specs so you get a more responsive experience overall and opens up heavier stuff like 3D and animation if you want to.

If money's a concern you can get a screenless model instead, there's a learning curve to the disconnect but works just as well for drawing at a fraction of the price.

because we have been betrayed by the laptop countless of times T^T. the slow speed after a few months of usage, the amount of crashes after a year, not to mention the certain death of the battery which cripples the portability aspect of it. and the warranties that go with the laptop is bull. no part replacements, all they do is a factory reset. if they do replace a part you will be charged for it. building your own pc is the best.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 18:26:38

At 11/24/23 05:19 PM, lucifertan wrote:
At 11/24/23 03:15 PM, Riger44 wrote: They're both PCs so functionally the same, what is this laptop slander lol. Tho if you're lappie's dying it might be time to get a new graphic tablet anyway, a gaming pc has better specs so you get a more responsive experience overall and opens up heavier stuff like 3D and animation if you want to.

because we have been betrayed by the laptop countless of times T^T. the slow speed after a few months of usage, the amount of crashes after a year, not to mention the certain death of the battery which cripples the portability aspect of it. and the warranties that go with the laptop is bull. no part replacements, all they do is a factory reset. if they do replace a part you will be charged for it. building your own pc is the best.

This isn't about getting a PC. I have a PC. I just need a screen tablet so I don’t have to use my crazy laptop because it glitch and a pain the ass to draw anything.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 19:10:39

At 11/24/23 06:26 PM, NoobClock666 wrote:

This isn't about getting a PC. I have a PC. I just need a screen tablet so I don’t have to use my crazy laptop because it glitch and a pain the ass to draw anything.

i know, just responding to the laptop slander part lol

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-24 21:44:16

It isn't. It's a well-kept secret among artists, but those Lenovo Thinkpads are a godsend for art. That little red nub on the keyboard is perfect for lines and colouring. I have one and it's better then any drawing tablet or crayon I've ever laid hands on. Feels like a direct extension of your finger. It takes a month to get used to, but within a day you'll be inking like a fuckin demon. Give it a shot when your current setup finally shits the bed. So much better then any desktop setup. You'll thank me later.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-25 14:03:49

Most of those aren’t even the laptop’s fault lol. Maybe don’t just get the cheapest thing with dogwater specs and do basic maintenance like cleaning and removing bloatware it should be obsolete way before it gives out. Sounds like y’all just bad with computers.

I used half-dead hand-me-downs for 5+ years no problems, some still functional to this day. Currently rocking a budget gamer which supposed to implode within a year, voided the warranty day 1 to upgrade ram and 2 years later still running like new no service history. A well cared machine will never betray you.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-25 21:43:24

At 11/25/23 02:03 PM, Riger44 wrote:

Most of those aren’t even the laptop’s fault lol. Maybe don’t just get the cheapest thing with dogwater specs and do basic maintenance like cleaning and removing bloatware it should be obsolete way before it gives out. Sounds like y’all just bad with computers.

I used half-dead hand-me-downs for 5+ years no problems, some still functional to this day. Currently rocking a budget gamer which supposed to implode within a year, voided the warranty day 1 to upgrade ram and 2 years later still running like new no service history. A well cared machine will never betray you.

haha i'm pretty zealous when it comes to removing bloat and the laptops had decent specs for their time. even a friend who got a high end one had their laptop started crashing within a year. i'd actually argue if a person is bad wif computers, they'd be less likely to think that the laptop sucks. i handed down a faulty laptop to my brother and he used it for 4+ years because he had no other options. he never deletes files or uninstall programs unless exceeding space limits lol.

conversely, ive been using my current pc for around 7 years now and still have no plans to upgrade. it wasn't all well as in my psu died in the first few years but it has 10 years warranty.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-26 14:52:53

At 11/25/23 09:43 PM, lucifertan wrote:

haha i'm pretty zealous when it comes to removing bloat and the laptops had decent specs for their time. even a friend who got a high end one had their laptop started crashing within a year. i'd actually argue if a person is bad wif computers, they'd be less likely to think that the laptop sucks. i handed down a faulty laptop to my brother and he used it for 4+ years because he had no other options. he never deletes files or uninstall programs unless exceeding space limits lol.

conversely, ive been using my current pc for around 7 years now and still have no plans to upgrade. it wasn't all well as in my psu died in the first few years but it has 10 years warranty.

Eh idk about that. I’d argue the opposite, non-techies are more likely to get something underpowered and neglect maintenance, leading to a bad experience. You don’t need to be a techie to figure something’s wrong. Its also more convenient so they’re more likely to get a laptop if they need a pc. Only crashes I had were either program/Windows-related or high temps. If nothing happened and its suddenly crashing then prob need some dusting and repasting.

Besides some trade-offs to make it mobile, its the same hardware running the same software. Any issues should be the same for desktops. I feel like your issue here is more about laptops basically being gimped prebuilts, obv a custom build is gonna be better in that regard.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-26 16:06:17

At 11/26/23 02:52 PM, Riger44 wrote:

Eh idk about that. I’d argue the opposite, non-techies are more likely to get something underpowered and neglect maintenance, leading to a bad experience. You don’t need to be a techie to figure something’s wrong. Its also more convenient so they’re more likely to get a laptop if they need a pc. Only crashes I had were either program/Windows-related or high temps. If nothing happened and its suddenly crashing then prob need some dusting and repasting.

Besides some trade-offs to make it mobile, its the same hardware running the same software. Any issues should be the same for desktops. I feel like your issue here is more about laptops basically being gimped prebuilts, obv a custom build is gonna be better in that regard.

i definitely agree most people will just get a laptop especially if they require it for schools or work because they need the portability. the main point is if you don't need the portability and can meet the space requirements, pc is always the better experience(op already has a pc).

non-techies usually dont require that much processing power and they can get away with having something underpowered. it's like my phone where i have not faced any problems despite it being one of the cheapest options on the market as i only used it for calls and messaging.

those trade-offs to make it mobile is why it is not the same hardware. it will typically face more heat issues than a desktop when running the same software thus performance is lower and degradation is faster.

At 11/26/23 04:06 PM, lucifertan wrote:

i definitely agree most people will just get a laptop especially if they require it for schools or work because they need the portability. the main point is if you don't need the portability and can meet the space requirements, pc is always the better experience(op already has a pc).

non-techies usually dont require that much processing power and they can get away with having something underpowered. it's like my phone where i have not faced any problems despite it being one of the cheapest options on the market as i only used it for calls and messaging.

those trade-offs to make it mobile is why it is not the same hardware. it will typically face more heat issues than a desktop when running the same software thus performance is lower and degradation is faster.

I agree it depends on your needs, my point is they're both pcs and a laptop is just as viable. Same instructions, same functions, same os and software, how is the other not a pc lol. This is just desktop elitism bs.

The extra heat is just physics, a desktop in a cramped case with little vents and tiny fans would be just as hot if not more due to higher power draw. When manufacturing chips laptops actually get the good stuff because they have better efficiency :).

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-26 18:18:38

At 11/26/23 05:08 PM, Riger44 wrote:

I agree it depends on your needs, my point is they're both pcs and a laptop is just as viable. Same instructions, same functions, same os and software, how is the other not a pc lol. This is just desktop elitism bs.

The extra heat is just physics, a desktop in a cramped case with little vents and tiny fans would be just as hot if not more due to higher power draw. When manufacturing chips laptops actually get the good stuff because they have better efficiency :).

i'm imagining laptops getting called animals by desktops from your comments lololol. this thread prompts for reasons why desktop pc is better than laptop haha. maybe laptops need to sue noobclock for inciting hate speech.

yes because of physics, the desktop is better. doesn't matter if they have better efficiency for the part itself when in actual use case they dont perform better. i also have other reasons why pc is better, such as being able to adjust the height of the screen, thus maintaining a better posture. more ports to connect devices etc.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-27 12:09:21

UPDATE! 11/27/2023

I got an XP-PEN Artist12 11.6 Inch FHD Drawing Monitor Pen Display Graphic Monitor with PN06 Battery-Free Multi-Function Pen Holder and Glove 8192 Pressure Sensitivity from Amazon on 11/27, but I also got a Tablet Stand and Paper-Like Protective Film. I didn’t need the Paper-like thing, but I did. They were all $195.26. But at first, I kind of regretted it because I now wanted the GAOMON PD1161 11.6-inch Drawing Tablet with Screen, Digital Art Tablet with Battery-Free Stylus, Tilt Support, 8 Shortcut Keys for Design, Animation, Photo Editing, Work with Mac, Windows PC because I liked the art better on that one… I was judging tablets based on the art. That’s stupid, but I’m new to this and I needed to buy one fast because I was at the airport with my family going home. But the XP-PEN Artist12 has a pen with the top as an eraser and a scroll thing. A lot of people love Wecom, but a screen one was not on sale on Amazon.

It’s being shipped to me, today. I hope I love it and I can finally stop using my laptop.

Thank you all for your help and arguing. 

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

At 11/27/23 12:09 PM, NoobClock666 wrote: UPDATE! 11/27/2023

I got an XP-PEN Artist12 11.6 Inch FHD Drawing Monitor Pen Display Graphic Monitor with PN06 Battery-Free Multi-Function Pen Holder and Glove 8192 Pressure Sensitivity from Amazon on 11/27, but I also got a Tablet Stand and Paper-Like Protective Film. I didn’t need the Paper-like thing, but I did. They were all $195.26. But at first, I kind of regretted it because I now wanted the GAOMON PD1161 11.6-inch Drawing Tablet with Screen, Digital Art Tablet with Battery-Free Stylus, Tilt Support, 8 Shortcut Keys for Design, Animation, Photo Editing, Work with Mac, Windows PC because I liked the art better on that one… I was judging tablets based on the art. That’s stupid, but I’m new to this and I needed to buy one fast because I was at the airport with my family going home. But the XP-PEN Artist12 has a pen with the top as an eraser and a scroll thing. A lot of people love Wecom, but a screen one was not on sale on Amazon.
It’s being shipped to me, today. I hope I love it and I can finally stop using my laptop.

wacom is atleast double the price. the wacom one 12 gen 2 is not recommended due to substandard pressure handling. xp-pen artist 12 im not sure but the 16 inch version is not recommended due to excessive diagonal wobble. i think this is a genuine review video. gaomon is relative obscure compared to the wacom and xp-pen. the extra pen tilt functionality is helpful but not as much people use gaomon thus actual quirks are unknown.

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-27 14:12:20

i realised the one you bought is a newer gen model so hopefully the wobble is lesser. would be happy to hear your experience using it. anyways hope you enjoy it and show the world that desktop is the best!

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-27 14:22:02

At 11/27/23 02:12 PM, lucifertan wrote:

i realised the one you bought is a newer gen model so hopefully the wobble is lesser. would be happy to hear your experience using it. anyways hope you enjoy it and show the world that desktop is the best!

I would have gotten a used one. But the shipping would take too long. Thank you and I'll make an update post here to let you all know what I think.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-27 14:30:04

At 11/26/23 06:18 PM, lucifertan wrote:

i'm imagining laptops getting called animals by desktops from your comments lololol. this thread prompts for reasons why desktop pc is better than laptop haha. maybe laptops need to sue noobclock for inciting hate speech.

yes because of physics, the desktop is better. doesn't matter if they have better efficiency for the part itself when in actual use case they dont perform better. i also have other reasons why pc is better, such as being able to adjust the height of the screen, thus maintaining a better posture. more ports to connect devices etc.

The point is that they serve the same function, how fast they are is irrelevant.

I thought its already established it depends on the user’s needs. Any advantages a desktop has becomes moot as soon as one needs what a laptop offers. Not sure why you still arguing lmaoo, are you that scared of laptops :D

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-27 14:35:52

Nice! That's a good get! After Wacom, XP-Pen and Huion are the top brands so you may have actually dodged a bullet here. I forgot the model but I saw a review of a Gaomon display tablet which had a very noticeable parallax(the cursor doesn't appear directly under the nib), yikes!

Response to Why is drawing on PC is better then laptop? 2023-11-27 14:58:58

At 11/27/23 02:30 PM, Riger44 wrote:
At 11/26/23 06:18 PM, lucifertan wrote:

The point is that they serve the same function, how fast they are is irrelevant.

I thought its already established it depends on the user’s needs. Any advantages a desktop has becomes moot as soon as one needs what a laptop offers. Not sure why you still arguing lmaoo, are you that scared of laptops :D

cos you kept arguing they are the same when we established they are different lol.