00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GasGrass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio License & Freemium : What the what?

183 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So most of the music here seems to be CC-BY-NC. NC, as in Non-Commercial.

A free game, therefore, would seem to be perfectly aligned with this.

A freemium game, though...I can't tell.

So imagine a completely free game. It has a core set of components: it has a town, and levels A through D.

It uses CC-BY-NC music from Newgrounds, and is listed in the credits. Yaay! Everyone is happy.

But then, that same game decides to add in "the expansion levels" or something...levels E through M.

They have their own music or whatever.

But that town...it uses CC-BY-NC music from here.

Does this count as a commercial project as far as the CC license goes?

Even though it's from the free (part) of the game? I cannot tell.

Does anyone KNOW? (Not "suspect" or "guess." I want knowledge, not guesses.)

At 11/3/23 07:15 PM, calyad wrote: So most of the music here seems to be CC-BY-NC. NC, as in Non-Commercial.
A free game, therefore, would seem to be perfectly aligned with this.

A freemium game, though...I can't tell.

So imagine a completely free game. It has a core set of components: it has a town, and levels A through D.
It uses CC-BY-NC music from Newgrounds, and is listed in the credits. Yaay! Everyone is happy.

But then, that same game decides to add in "the expansion levels" or something...levels E through M.
They have their own music or whatever.

But that town...it uses CC-BY-NC music from here.
Does this count as a commercial project as far as the CC license goes?
Even though it's from the free (part) of the game? I cannot tell.

Does anyone KNOW? (Not "suspect" or "guess." I want knowledge, not guesses.)

This is some legal-wizardry that requires someone experienced to acknowledge this. But I don't think there is a case that has been tried in court involving this scenario (because I don't see the money in this).

I would think that the expansions would be there own copyright while the pieces from elsewhere would be available under their original license. IE: I could use the protagonist, and original protagonists in a movie or something else, but not the expansion characters.

--I'd like to state though that when game creators do an overhaul of a game they tend to do away with the CC stuff... just saying.