00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiwi023 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mp3 bitrate size for uploads?

380 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mp3 bitrate size for uploads? 2023-09-26 23:54:38

While browsing through the audio portal, I couldnt help but notice that most if not all of the ones ive listened to and downloaded all are around 1-5mbps and the ones I upload are like 10+. I always export in 320 mp3 and I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or what, do I lower the bitrate or switch to a different audio format like .ogg?

Musician with a computer older than Julius Caesar and humor drier than desert sand on a sunny day.

BBS Signature

Response to Mp3 bitrate size for uploads? 2023-09-28 16:24:59

I think 160-192 KBps is a good choice for a constant bitrate. 320 KBps is excessive imo. Sadly Newgrounds only accepts mp3s.

Response to Mp3 bitrate size for uploads? 2023-09-28 20:25:52

As a listener I appreciate the bitrate to be higher because I do notice the difference in quality.

BBS Signature

Response to Mp3 bitrate size for uploads? 2023-09-28 22:25:46

At 9/28/23 08:25 PM, tydaze wrote: As a listener I appreciate the bitrate to be higher because I do notice the difference in quality.

This. 320 kbps is ideal. Would you believe people like even higher bitrates and FLAC files? I feel like if you don't notice the difference, either your speaker sucks, or you have hearing damage and don't know it yet.

Myself, I have tinnitus. I prefer 320 kbps because the clarity of instruments like hihats is more pronounced.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Mp3 bitrate size for uploads? 2023-09-29 02:16:38

At 9/28/23 08:25 PM, tydaze wrote: As a listener I appreciate the bitrate to be higher because I do notice the difference in quality.

Got it! Just wanted to make sure i was doing it right

Musician with a computer older than Julius Caesar and humor drier than desert sand on a sunny day.

BBS Signature

Response to Mp3 bitrate size for uploads? 2023-12-03 18:31:33

I typically use 320 KBps, unless I’m making like an 8-bit song or a chiptune thing of some sort. But the higher it is, the better the sound quality. Now it DOES take up a bit more storage, but it’s still worth it imo.

you guys like my tunes?

BBS Signature

Response to Mp3 bitrate size for uploads? 2023-12-03 18:54:40

ik this is an old thread, but just wanted to mention that in the past there have been much stricter file size and/or bitrate limits for the audio portal. if you're browsing older (like pre-2013) entries then the quality of the mp3 files will reflect that.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Mp3 bitrate size for uploads? 2023-12-03 20:44:58

At 12/3/23 06:54 PM, midimachine wrote: ik this is an old thread, but just wanted to mention that in the past there have been much stricter file size and/or bitrate limits for the audio portal. if you're browsing older (like pre-2013) entries then the quality of the mp3 files will reflect that.

old? not really, i was mostly curious about wav, I already know about the 320s for mp3 files and I got the information i needed a few days ago! Thank you for the information though, truly appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Mp3 bitrate size for uploads? 2023-12-05 14:50:51

i always render to mp3 320 kbps (constant BR) for the best possible output