00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MLouise just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!)

1,040 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This might be a stretch, but I wanted to see if there are people on the BBS who are in my age group. This is a club for people who are 25 or older! So all you young'uns, GO AWAY! Here we talk about taxes, morning calisthenics, and Home Depot!

Are they gone yet? Good! XD

I'll start this thread off with a quick intro:

Hi! I'm Mina!

I've been on NG since perhaps the year 2000. Back then, I used to watch cartoons and play games late at night when I should have been sleeping for school. Right now, I work from home making ends meet on something other than art. I would really like to establish my "brand" and eventually sell a product I designed, but that is a long while away. Until then, I am here in the "proving grounds" of the wild west that is the Internet while I build a portfolio of strong work. I'd like to get to know other Newgroundsers who are 25+! There must be some, right?

Here's to hoping this thread isn't a bust. Lol.

~ Mina

I've seen you around. I apply to this club, but I'm not really sure age is going to compel much conversation as a topic/club other than a steady march of people going "me too"

so ah, how about them taxes?

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-09 04:42:24

Yeah, I am a 25+ member and I am definitely not watching cartoons or stuff like that. WHo is Bluey, never heard of him, hehehehe. Yayy taxes.

Watch my cute stupid stuff here Randi Rafaeli - YouTube

And I could use a coffee or too for the day Randi Rafaeli (buymeacoffee.com)

BBS Signature

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-09 22:08:43

My knees hurt and I'm mad at the government (for all those taxes).

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-09 23:05:08

I went to Home Depot today... only once.

iu_1046814_8660517.jpg

I am almost 35. I can't play MMORPGs anymore because everyone seems to be more obsessed with how to make money from playing video games / streaming then joining in on the adventure that is the game itself-- and anything outside, like music, comics, things worth having a passion that invokes joy.

Have a great idea for the club's flag. ;)

iu_1047783_8609623.jpg

Also if there were to be meetups or encountering out in the wild we can have a hand signal to know.

It can maybe look something like this.

iu_1047784_8609623.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-11 17:50:29

At 8/10/23 08:21 PM, YendorNG wrote: I am almost 35. I can't play MMORPGs anymore because everyone seems to be more obsessed with how to make money from playing video games / streaming then joining in on the adventure that is the game itself-- and anything outside, like music, comics, things worth having a passion that invokes joy.

I haven't played an MMORPG since WOW Burning Crusade!!

I can relate tho. I used to be really into random roleplaying on IMVU but the company has been making decisions in favor of more money over improving user experience.

I checked it out recently and there are even NFT items now when in the past assets (clothing, animations, rooms, furniture, etc) were generated by users FOR FREE. The in-game currency used to be able to be resold via legal third party sites so users used to be able to earn REAL MONEY, but IMVU wasn't getting enough of a cut so they shut it down. If you're not a whale of a customer, you have no value to these greed-fueled companies.

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-13 21:22:03

At 8/11/23 05:50 PM, MinaSagas wrote:
At 8/10/23 08:21 PM, YendorNG wrote: I am almost 35. I can't play MMORPGs anymore because everyone seems to be more obsessed with how to make money from playing video games / streaming then joining in on the adventure that is the game itself-- and anything outside, like music, comics, things worth having a passion that invokes joy.

I can relate tho. I used to be really into random roleplaying on IMVU but the company has been making decisions in favor of more money over improving user experience.

I checked it out recently and there are even NFT items now when in the past assets (clothing, animations, rooms, furniture, etc) were generated by users FOR FREE. The in-game currency used to be able to be resold via legal third party sites so users used to be able to earn REAL MONEY, but IMVU wasn't getting enough of a cut so they shut it down. If you're not a whale of a customer, you have no value to these greed-fueled companies.

I would suggest secondlife but VRchat seems to be killing it-- problem is no one wants to talk to me as I have a default avatar :P

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-14 16:16:27

At 8/11/23 04:18 AM, AmmoGuppy wrote: Have a great idea for the club's flag. ;)

Also if there were to be meetups or encountering out in the wild we can have a hand signal to know.
It can maybe look something like this.

logans run is a deep cut love it

I podcast, make documentaries, cartoons, games and art. I also hate lawns. Love weasels. Am neutral on Snow Cones. I feel nothing about snow cones. Sometimes they are nice.

BBS Signature

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-15 09:26:31

Turned 29 a few months ago and I’m still having a hard time figuring out adulting.

doesn’t help that I failed to launch a second time because of this backwards fucking economy.

At 8/15/23 09:26 AM, DioShiba wrote: Turned 29 a few months ago and I’m still having a hard time figuring out adulting.

doesn’t help that I failed to launch a second time because of this backwards fucking economy.

It's so fucking rough. I don't know anyone our age who's having a good time, but we're in this together. You'll only fail if you give up. That's what I have to tell myself when it starts to get to me.

iu_1051781_8660517.jpg

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-17 17:35:32

iu_1053722_8660517.jpg

At 8/13/23 09:22 PM, YendorNG wrote:
At 8/11/23 05:50 PM, MinaSagas wrote:

I would suggest secondlife but VRchat seems to be killing it-- problem is no one wants to talk to me as I have a default avatar :P

I tried SL and VRC in the past but I like talking through text more than voice since I have a high-pitched voice that makes me sound younger than I am. People tend to tease me for it, but I'm workin' on it. LOL. What's that phrase? "Once bitten, twice shy."

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-17 19:23:03

At 8/17/23 05:35 PM, MinaSagas wrote:

...I still do.

BBS Signature

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-17 20:06:47

At 8/17/23 07:23 PM, Prinzy2 wrote:
...I still do.

Modern cars don't even have an aux port, let alone a CD player. HELP MEEEEEEE.

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-17 20:48:41

My vehicle's CD and radio gave up the ghost while back. Thankfully the cassette hasnt and this badboy has been my MVP.

iu_1053918_8609623.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-17 20:54:14

At 8/17/23 08:48 PM, AmmoGuppy wrote:
My vehicle's CD and radio gave up the ghost while back. Thankfully the cassette hasnt and this badboy has been my MVP.

The casette adapter! OMG! So few will ever know this esoteric magic.

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-21 15:19:50

At 8/17/23 08:06 PM, MinaSagas wrote:
...I still do.

I had to buy a bluetooth adapter for the modern car I'm renting since my old one was destroyed and it cuts out all the time how do the younglings live like this!

(I know they don't listen to more than 5 seconds of music before skipping to the next song but still)

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-21 15:59:06

At 8/21/23 03:19 PM, alphabadshizgoind0wn wrote:
At 8/17/23 08:06 PM, MinaSagas wrote:
...I still do.
I had to buy a bluetooth adapter for the modern car I'm renting since my old one was destroyed and it cuts out all the time how do the younglings live like this!

(I know they don't listen to more than 5 seconds of music before skipping to the next song but still)

Easy. They just don't drive. It's honestly such a big-brained move I don't know how I didn't think of it myself. LOL

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-21 21:31:03

I thought I wasn't THAT old until I got this

iu_1057456_2691406.png

It's crazy to think that everyone who was born in 2008 is now 15 years old...

YOU DO NOT WANT DADDY TO BE MAD!!! >:(

- big papa, 2009

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-22 23:33:04

I used to have two boxes full of cassette tapes.

I remember when CDs were the latest technology for entertainment, & for education--anyone ever buy anything from Great Courses?

I remember when FM radio used to have good music, if you picked the right station & could tune in without too much static.

I remember life in the last years of the P.I. Era...Pre-Internet, that is.

I could qualify for this club, no prob. But do you want me to, is the question...because I'll most likely be the oldest member of all.

Pen pusher, brush dragger, wood butcher & usual suspect.

You can see my stuff here: https://shadenlines.newgrounds.com/art

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-23 00:00:48

At 8/22/23 11:33 PM, shadenlines wrote:
I used to have two boxes full of cassette tapes.

I remember when CDs were the latest technology for entertainment, & for education--anyone ever buy anything from Great Courses?

I remember when FM radio used to have good music, if you picked the right station & could tune in without too much static.

I remember life in the last years of the P.I. Era...Pre-Internet, that is.

I could qualify for this club, no prob. But do you want me to, is the question...because I'll most likely be the oldest member of all.

NO WAY! You're welcome here too!

Man, my old school still utilized slide-tapes for some classes/courses. I don't know what else to call them. Like timed photo-reels with accompanying audio. I hardly remember them.

A lot of that tech died out the year after I used it. I had some cassette tapes, but not many. I remember spending some time recording my favorite songs from the radio onto cassettes with my boom box. Remember when that was a controversy? Like record companies were so mad we could record songs onto a cassette to share with friends even though it had the DJ overlays. LOL.

Then CDs came out and I had a few. But then a few years passed and Napster/Limewire was the thing. I discovered German power metal (and metal as a genre in general) via piracy. Haha. I grew up in a farm-town so it was like a whole new world opened up to me.

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-25 18:22:02

At 8/23/23 12:00 AM, MinaSagas wrote: NO WAY! You're welcome here too!

Man, my old school still utilized slide-tapes for some classes/courses. I don't know what else to call them. Like timed photo-reels with accompanying audio. I hardly remember them.

A lot of that tech died out the year after I used it. I had some cassette tapes, but not many. I remember spending some time recording my favorite songs from the radio onto cassettes with my boom box. Remember when that was a controversy? Like record companies were so mad we could record songs onto a cassette to share with friends even though it had the DJ overlays. LOL.

Then CDs came out and I had a few. But then a few years passed and Napster/Limewire was the thing. I discovered German power metal (and metal as a genre in general) via piracy. Haha. I grew up in a farm-town so it was like a whole new world opened up to me.

I'm tickled. This is great. When do I get my membership badge & secret decoder ring... (Does anyone still know that joke?)

A farm town, eh? I mostly grew up on the west coast, though I've had exposure to rural life. The Internet Era has surely impacted country & small-town folk more than us urbanites.

So what's the next topic? How us aging folks adapt to the current decade? Anyone have any tips? If anyone needs advice on that then surely it's me...

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-28 01:30:13

At 8/21/23 09:31 PM, Xzol wrote: I thought I wasn't THAT old until I got this

It's crazy to think that everyone who was born in 2008 is now 15 years old...

I really feel this one lol

DO SOME FUCKING WHA

BBS Signature

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-28 02:49:25

OK, let's bite the bullet.

35 here. And if we're looking for a conversation topic to keep the thread going, can we talk about not feeling your age? Back when I was in my teens I honestly thought that people who are 35 have pretty much everything figured out in their minds. Functioning, responsible adults, y'know. Fast forward to now and, in many ways, I'm still that same teenager in my head. I think nothing really prepares you for the moment when you realize that nothing special really happens as you trudge forward into adulthood. You're still just you - you just have to find ways to deal with all the new challenges that are put before you that you didn't have to worry about as a child or teen. And ohhhh boy it's not easy.

Would love to hear other takes on this.

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

At 8/28/23 02:49 AM, vlsrb wrote: OK, let's bite the bullet.

35 here. And if we're looking for a conversation topic to keep the thread going, can we talk about not feeling your age? Back when I was in my teens I honestly thought that people who are 35 have pretty much everything figured out in their minds. Functioning, responsible adults, y'know. Fast forward to now and, in many ways, I'm still that same teenager in my head. I think nothing really prepares you for the moment when you realize that nothing special really happens as you trudge forward into adulthood. You're still just you - you just have to find ways to deal with all the new challenges that are put before you that you didn't have to worry about as a child or teen. And ohhhh boy it's not easy.

Would love to hear other takes on this.

I might be barking up the wrong tree... Bear with me.

I feel as though far too many people act like the needless complexity of the modern world is normal in order to portray "normalcy" to others whether that's in the workplace or with family. There's too much pressure to have an outward appearance of "having it together" that people sacrifice their well-being to look the role rather than actually living. It gives people a false impression of what life is supposed to be and what happiness truly is. You MUST be (or do) this or that, otherwise you're living life wrong and there's nothing more sinful in the modern world than not fitting in.

I think that instills that sort of sensation of still being a teen in your head. While we have to (sometimes quite literally) put on costumes to go to work or mingle with groups, all we really desire is the freedom to just be. That feeling was easier to capture in teenagehood for most people, I think. Hence the phenomenon of people claiming their prime was in high school. They want to recapture that time when anything seemed possible again.

Personally, I believe being disingenuous is worse than being yourself. Pretending to be someone you're not for social status or money makes everyone around you suffer because at some point, your mask is going to slip. Your true face will look ugly to these people and it will only force your genuine self deeper inside. It stifles the growth of your true self and mentally, psychically, you feel trapped in your mind as a child or teenager or young adult, etc. Learning to cope with that is difficult and I think many people just go on autopilot.

So coaxing the real person out is a long, arduous task, and if the person has lived for decades that way, it can be nearly impossible. But that doesn't mean the task isn't worth undertaking, and it's certainly not hopeless. I feel "like a kid" (or a teenager) again in instances where I feel like myself the most. I believe that sensation is happiness: A joyful feeling about life and its possibilities.

Again, I hope I'm not wayyy off base here. Lol.

EDIT: Clarity...

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-29 15:48:08

@MinaSagas I agree with a lot of what you said. The world is a ridiculously tangled and complex place these days and I often feel like I just don't want to engage with everything I'm exposed to. Thinking about things - really thinking about them - takes time that I don't have. I'd rather have some time to myself than have an informed opinion about everything.

In my first post I was thinking more along the lines of control and staying on top of things. For a teen it's all too easy to look at an adult balancing work and finances and homekeeping and think "wow, obviously something's going to click in my head at some point to make me good at that stuff because there's no way I'd be able to handle all of it now". And then you get older and realize there's no click - you're still just you but now you have to navigate finding a job, surviving in the real world, taking care of yourself. You just do it to the best of your ability and figure it out as you go along - and I don't think anything really prepares you for that.

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-08-29 16:15:49

At 8/29/23 03:48 PM, vlsrb wrote: @MinaSagas I agree with a lot of what you said. The world is a ridiculously tangled and complex place these days and I often feel like I just don't want to engage with everything I'm exposed to. Thinking about things - really thinking about them - takes time that I don't have. I'd rather have some time to myself than have an informed opinion about everything.

In my first post I was thinking more along the lines of control and staying on top of things. For a teen it's all too easy to look at an adult balancing work and finances and homekeeping and think "wow, obviously something's going to click in my head at some point to make me good at that stuff because there's no way I'd be able to handle all of it now". And then you get older and realize there's no click - you're still just you but now you have to navigate finding a job, surviving in the real world, taking care of yourself. You just do it to the best of your ability and figure it out as you go along - and I don't think anything really prepares you for that.

You're right. No one prepares anyone for that. I don't think it's possible. The world is different for everyone and no one has the answers since the world is constantly changing. Even on a day by day basis. Ugh.

Response to The 25+ Club (Young'uns, SCRAM!!) 2023-09-12 09:29:23

At 8/29/23 01:48 PM, MinaSagas wrote:
I feel as though far too many people act like the needless complexity of the modern world is normal in order to portray "normalcy" to others whether that's in the workplace or with family. There's too much pressure to have an outward appearance of "having it together" that people sacrifice their well-being to look the role rather than actually living. It gives people a false impression of what life is supposed to be and what happiness truly is. You MUST be (or do) this or that, otherwise you're living life wrong and there's nothing more sinful in the modern world than not fitting in.

Life is definitely more complex now than at any time in history, I think. Previous generations didn't have it easier but life was more basic overall...up to the industrial revolution, all most people had to worry about was whether their crops yielded a good harvest in the fall, that their children survived to adulthood & found mates, & that their gods were happy with them. Not trivial concerns at all, but they weren't complicated either. The Internet & (anti)social media has certainly changed modern life in more ways than many people realize.

Social conformity has always been a thing among humans. If it's any consolation, once you turn 40 it gets less important for a lot of us. These days I only care about finding an audience for my work; as for what people think of me personally, I don't give a fart in a windstorm.