00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

tunedMedic just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite piano libraries/VSTs?

466 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Favorite piano libraries/VSTs? 2023-06-27 01:25:26

For years my go-to piano was the Spitfire Labs Soft Piano, which is a great sounding (and free!) piano, but between the head of Spitfire being outed as a transphobe and the massive oversaturation of that sample library across all sorts of music, I think it's time to switch things up.

So, what are y'all's favorites? Free stuff is always nice, but if it's really, really good, I'm tempted to break my rule of always finding free alternatives for paid plugins.

Right now I'm having a lot of fun with the demo of Pianoteq. I can't afford the full version at the moment, but I'm incredibly tempted. It's physically modeled, not samples of a real piano, based on super complex synthesis of the physics and acoustics of a piano. Because of that it's maybe not as immediately attractive sounding as something from Spitfire or Kontakt, but it makes up for it in playability. If you just punch stuff in the piano roll (which is awesome!), that might not be super important to you, but as a piano player myself, goddamn it's like home sweet home. Just makes me wish I had the space and money for a real upright piano even more.

genreless and multi-monikered multi-instrumentalist, producer, and musician, mainly releasing as Jaew and Elm Maxell.

website / bandcamp

Response to Favorite piano libraries/VSTs? 2023-06-27 03:54:58

Hands down, my favourite piano is the default Steinway that comes with Soundpaint. I use it in a lot of my work. It's free.

Response to Favorite piano libraries/VSTs? 2023-06-27 06:21:03

I'm not really the guy who knows a lot about piano plugins, and the only decent plugin I have is Sforzando. And since it's a soundfont plugin, I can find a ton of pianos, strings, guitars and so on.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite piano libraries/VSTs? 2023-06-27 14:36:26

Yeesh, I'll have to read more into the Spitfire situation - that's a damn shame.

My go-to piano for a while has been Arturia's own piano VST ever since I bought the V Collection, I would recommend grabbing a demo and waiting for a sale. As for free stuff I like Decent Sampler a lot, along with a piano there's a couple of unique sample libraries available.

The Spitfire situation is terrible but for me a tool is a tool so I'm gonna keep using their shit. At least for now. The BBCSO Core sounds good and atm I don't have any equivalents and no money to buy anything in its place. No free vst will fill that Spitfire shaped hole in my heart. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite piano libraries/VSTs? 2023-07-10 15:43:29

My Go-to piano right now is Addictive Keys. I really love how cuatomizable the sound is, with a lot of built-in processing and effects

“ ᴍᴀy ᴡɪꜱᴅᴏᴍ ʙᴜʀɴ ʙʀɪɢʜᴛ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴏᴜʀ ꜰᴜᴛᴜʀᴇ ʙʀɪɢʜᴛᴇʀ ”

Response to Favorite piano libraries/VSTs? 2023-07-10 23:04:21

I used to love using LABS piano as well, but since I've switched to Noire (Native Instruments) nothing else can replace it for me. It also has higher quality felt piano which can be a great alternative, as well as cool sound designs you can experiment with it for atmospheric purposes.

~ Jessie

✨ENFP | 🎵 Epic Music Composer for: ACE/Old Chicago/OddTodd |🎬 Film Student | Status : Study Mode!

Visit My Official Portfolio!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite piano libraries/VSTs? 2023-07-12 00:52:26

Pianoteq is fucking AWESOME. Sounds very organic and plenty of styles to choose.

For E Pianos I either go for the Korg M1 for that cheesy 90s casio sound, or Lounge Lizard EP4 for fuller authentic tones. EP4 also does Reed and Tine based, and even Pianorgans.

EJECTO SEATO CUZ

BBS Signature

Personally, my favorite piano to use in my music is Pearl Concert Grand, by Impact Soundworks. It's compatible for Kontakt Player! Also, there are 4 mics. Not only that, but there are 5 built in effects, like delay and reverb. It consists of recordings of the Yamaha C7.

Response to Favorite piano libraries/VSTs? 2023-07-30 12:49:53

Korg M1's HousePiano!