00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AlsoTlant just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to not cringe at my own voice?

958 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello!

I'm trying to get back into singing and voice acting, but I seem to have a major hurdle. A lot of times, it seems like I don't sound the way I think I should for a particular part, and the result just sounds lame and cheesy to me. I'm not sure if it's a matter of needing to select better character voices for myself, or just getting used to my own voice. Can anyone give tips?

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-22 10:56:17

Hey, if you ask me, it's basically the latter, which gets better over time - you just need to get used to it. In the end, the main thing is whether or not your audience is satisfied with your sound. If they like what they're hearing, it'll probably help you get over it :)

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-22 14:21:15

At 6/21/23 05:23 PM, Thetageist wrote: Hello!

I'm trying to get back into singing and voice acting, but I seem to have a major hurdle. A lot of times, it seems like I don't sound the way I think I should for a particular part, and the result just sounds lame and cheesy to me. I'm not sure if it's a matter of needing to select better character voices for myself, or just getting used to my own voice. Can anyone give tips?

i used to hate my voice, but i was also younger. after years of making audio diaries I realised there were tricks to make yourself sound better. compression and dynamic microphones is the obvious stuff, but mouth shape and tone shifting is also important (singers and voice actors will move their mouth funny to get a clearer sound)

I learned to fluctuate the tone of voice when doing my audio diaries as a way to make the voice less monotone and boring.

Different accents of course is a skill, some say good mimicry is genetic, but all my decent accents came from listening to natural speakers talking for many hours.

also confidence and just having fun with it. whatever you are feeling will come through in the recording

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-24 04:05:04

you must embrace the cringe

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-24 07:25:06

At 6/24/23 04:05 AM, DDBuzztaber wrote: you must embrace the cringe

Can you throw an example? I did cringed at my voice. But then I just posted few songs with my voice and ppl approved it. That helped a lot.

And before that, it helped that I learned how to process the voice with plugins.

BBS Signature

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-24 07:54:22

Either accept the fact you sound like a big ol' dork, or fake it until you make it.

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-24 16:12:43

don't cringe

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-24 16:36:15

Idk

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-24 21:12:15

I’ve been voice acting for about two years now on a semi-professional basis. It can sometimes feel like you’ll never like the way your own voice sounds when playing it back. We are our own worst critics after all. The best advice I can give is to just try and block the thought of “oh this is MY voice.” Think only of the character/role that you’re enveloping. As for sounding cheesy or goofy, that sorta ties into the same thing. But if you think your cadence sounds a bit off with whatever script you’re filling, approach this like acting. It sounds corny, but try and BE the character. Get comfortable, try to act how they would as if it was natural

Record yourself reading the top of AskReddit and listen to yourself back. It doesn't have to be Reddit it can be anything really, but that's the example typically used. I don't know where I heard this advice from but apparently it helps you become better at speaking and if anything it may help with getting over your voice.

pfp: BellieQwQ | website: jaypedia.xyz | bandcamp: thejayjay.bandcamp.com

thanq yuo

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-25 06:56:11

I say the more cheesy the better! Just look at Sonic characters, or Overwatch characters, their voices are always super cheesy and people love them.

BBS Signature

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-25 11:11:49

Here's the neat part, you can't. The only option is either accept it or scrap it

I Made Dumb Stuff

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-25 19:11:02

At 6/24/23 07:25 AM, GameBalance wrote:
Can you throw an example? I did cringed at my voice. But then I just posted few songs with my voice and ppl approved it. That helped a lot.
And before that, it helped that I learned how to process the voice with plugins.

If you need an example from me, I'm going to throw myself in the deep end soon by posting some of my own music I did speaking/singing parts for, so I can link that once I've finished everything up.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-25 19:46:57

I can give you a little practical advice. If it's singing, there is always the option to tune your vocals, with melodyne or newtone or others, depending on what you have access to. I think most people cringe at their own voice. I hear mine so much making music that I don't anymore. I used to look for people to sing for me and it was very liberating that I began to sing for myself.

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-25 22:32:06

From experience I can tell you, its really just something you need to get used to over time. The more you listen to it, the less awkward you feel, eventually its just another voice.

Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.

Cheap Voice acting/Narrator voiceovers!

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-26 04:37:28

At 6/25/23 07:11 PM, Thetageist wrote:
At 6/24/23 07:25 AM, GameBalance wrote:
If you need an example from me, I'm going to throw myself in the deep end soon by posting some of my own music I did speaking/singing parts for, so I can link that once I've finished everything up.

Sure, drop me. At least I'll be able to tell if there problem from how they mixed

BBS Signature

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-26 04:42:59

I struggle with something like this too. For me personally, my voice in a recording sounds completely different from what I hear coming out of my own mouth, so it's hard to gauge what putting on a 'voice' would actually do for my voice. Ultimately, I decided that if other people aren't complaining about my voice, it's probably fine, even if I still think it sounds weird.

Failing over and over doesn't make you a failure. The only failures are the ones who don't try.

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-06-26 13:25:12

Just accept your voice as it is. And use it the way you can perform.

ZombieGhost

Response to How to not cringe at my own voice? 2023-07-01 17:15:59

Just don't fall into BS people like Billie Eilish spread "we were just recording in bedroom"

there 3 key factors:

Good recording environment

Good post process

Good singing technique(Not amazing, just good)

That's just about vocal. The songs that match a vocal is another story.

BBS Signature