00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I'm running out of ideas...

749 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm running out of ideas... 2023-06-14 13:01:30

Any suggestions?

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-06-15 16:21:30

Slow down?

At 6/15/23 04:21 PM, Positron832 wrote: Slow down?

I already made a settlement that if I don't post anything in 2 weeks, I should do a devious act.

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-06-15 19:11:17

At 6/15/23 05:57 PM, derailment wrote:
At 6/15/23 04:21 PM, Positron832 wrote: Slow down?
I already made a settlement that if I don't post anything in 2 weeks, I should do a devious act.

Devious Act Part 1 is your next audio masterpiece. good luck

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-06-16 23:51:54

Just fuck around with a synthesizer of your choice and make something that sounds fucked up. Then, make a song with it, no matter what!

BBS Signature

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-06-17 01:08:15

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-06-30 20:13:26

play some notes, add drums, & mix it all up

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-02 11:11:04

the world is only as large as ur perception of it! the most powerful quality an artist can possess is openness. the more open u are, the more u will perceive in the world - the more inspired u can be.

the world is a conveyor belt of small packages. the first step is to notice the conveyor belt is there. then at any time, u can pick up a present and see what's inside. <3

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-08 21:24:18

At 6/17/23 01:08 AM, The-Great-One wrote: YOU GOT TWO DAYS! GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!

I've already posted a submission.

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-09 13:37:03

Make a song inspired by something. (A book you read, film you watched etc.)

Hope this helps!

Casporb - Dubstep delivered to your door!

At 6/14/23 01:01 PM, derailment wrote: Any suggestions?

Learn more stuff. Get more tools in your box. Also 1 song every 2 weeks is quite a strict schedule. I recommend learning some new skills like how to use an oscillator, learning different mixing techniques, practicing hearing certain frequencies so you can be more versatile with your EQ. I might be bais (because I'm a music theory nerd) but I highly suggest learning a good amount of music theory. There are like endless things to explore with music theory. Or just try to focus on improving in a specific area when making your music.

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-16 14:37:47

At 7/16/23 02:35 PM, SomeGuyMusic wrote:
Learn more stuff. Get more tools in your box. Also 1 song every 2 weeks is quite a strict schedule. I recommend learning some new skills like how to use an oscillator, learning different mixing techniques, practicing hearing certain frequencies so you can be more versatile with your EQ. I might be bais (because I'm a music theory nerd) but I highly suggest learning a good amount of music theory. There are like endless things to explore with music theory.

My schedule is not 1 song every 2 weeks. Wonder why my amount of tracks is growing rapidly?

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-16 14:39:26

At 7/16/23 02:37 PM, derailment wrote:
Learn more stuff. Get more tools in your box. Also 1 song every 2 weeks is quite a strict schedule. I recommend learning some new skills like how to use an oscillator, learning different mixing techniques, practicing hearing certain frequencies so you can be more versatile with your EQ. I might be bais (because I'm a music theory nerd) but I highly suggest learning a good amount of music theory. There are like endless things to explore with music theory.
My schedule is not 1 song every 2 weeks. Wonder why my amount of tracks is growing rapidly?

Oh I see you said you music post something within every 2 weeks. I read it wrong.

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-16 14:41:38

At 7/16/23 02:37 PM, derailment wrote:
My schedule is not 1 song every 2 weeks. Wonder why my amount of tracks is growing rapidly

I still think you should focus more on improving rather than trying to get songs out fast.

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-16 17:15:20

Just create something without an idea. For example you can pick a random chord progression or jam on a keyboard and use the first thing you play as a base to make a track, even if it ends up being 20 seconds long.

pfp: BellieQwQ | website: jaypedia.xyz | bandcamp: thejayjay.bandcamp.com

thanq yuo

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-17 14:45:39

Maybe this is inspiring:

iu_1025517_3479962.png

BBS Signature

@derailment Why have you placed the arbitrary constraint of 2 weeks per track on yourself? Do you find it boosts your productivity? Cos to me it sounds stressful πŸ˜… the only time I'm taking two weeks is if I'm in a competition or being paid. I'll explain my personal approach and Mybe you'll find it helpful. I'm very scattered and have a short attention span, so I like to have a number of different ways I can approach production and a number of different songs all cooking at the same time. So at the moment I have about 14 tracks in my unarchived work in progress file. I have no idea which one I'll finish next, there's no priority, no deadline. I just have to put time in sat making music everyday. I do what I'm feeling in the moment, if I hit a block I switch track or instrument/interface and that re-engages my brain. I have DAWs on my PC, Phone and a couple of Grove boxes so I can change up the... I don't know what you'd call it... Composition environment, I'll call it that, and again that always shifts my perspective and re-engages my brain. Getting into the phone apps was the game changer, Koala Sampler and Cubasis 3 are both amazing. I love having a compositional breakthrough while I'm taking a shit, and those shitting hours at up! 🀣

BBS Signature

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-17 15:30:42

At 7/17/23 03:08 PM, AkioDaku wrote: @derailment Why have you placed the arbitrary constraint of 2 weeks per track on yourself? Do you find it boosts your productivity? Cos to me it sounds stressful πŸ˜… the only time I'm taking two weeks is if I'm in a competition or being paid. I'll explain my personal approach and Mybe you'll find it helpful. I'm very scattered and have a short attention span, so I like to have a number of different ways I can approach production and a number of different songs all cooking at the same time. So at the moment I have about 14 tracks in my unarchived work in progress file. I have no idea which one I'll finish next, there's no priority, no deadline. I just have to put time in sat making music everyday. I do what I'm feeling in the moment, if I hit a block I switch track or instrument/interface and that re-engages my brain. I have DAWs on my PC, Phone and a couple of Grove boxes so I can change up the... I don't know what you'd call it... Composition environment, I'll call it that, and again that always shifts my perspective and re-engages my brain. Getting into the phone apps was the game changer, Koala Sampler and Cubasis 3 are both amazing. I love having a compositional breakthrough while I'm taking a shit, and those shitting hours at up! 🀣

I ain't reading allat πŸ’€

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-18 02:12:47

At 7/17/23 03:30 PM, derailment wrote:
At 7/17/23 03:08 PM, AkioDaku wrote: @derailment Why have you placed the arbitrary constraint of 2 weeks per track on yourself? Do you find it boosts your productivity? Cos to me it sounds stressful πŸ˜… the only time I'm taking two weeks is if I'm in a competition or being paid. I'll explain my personal approach and Mybe you'll find it helpful. I'm very scattered and have a short attention span, so I like to have a number of different ways I can approach production and a number of different songs all cooking at the same time. So at the moment I have about 14 tracks in my unarchived work in progress file. I have no idea which one I'll finish next, there's no priority, no deadline. I just have to put time in sat making music everyday. I do what I'm feeling in the moment, if I hit a block I switch track or instrument/interface and that re-engages my brain. I have DAWs on my PC, Phone and a couple of Grove boxes so I can change up the... I don't know what you'd call it... Composition environment, I'll call it that, and again that always shifts my perspective and re-engages my brain. Getting into the phone apps was the game changer, Koala Sampler and Cubasis 3 are both amazing. I love having a compositional breakthrough while I'm taking a shit, and those shitting hours at up! 🀣

And that's why you're stuck and uninspired. Because inspiration is taking from somewhere that could help you, but your heart is closed to that inspiration.

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-18 05:10:35

At 7/18/23 02:12 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 7/17/23 03:30 PM, derailment wrote:
And that's why you're stuck and uninspired. Because inspiration is taking from somewhere that could help you, but your heart is closed to that inspiration.

you can try to get creative in other ways,get inspiration from the world around you,change your environment and exit your comfort zone fight for what you want!!!

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-18 20:37:41

Steal wholesale another persons song then completely restructure it. Think of it like a homework assignment or an exercise, an expression of how your mind can construct or restructure an already existing idea. There are dozens of techniques you can use to do this: flip the song upside down. Play it backwards then reverse in the middle. Write a negative harmony version of a few meters. If it doesn’t get the juices moving then it may keep the water from going stale.

Response to I'm running out of ideas... 2023-07-19 10:17:28

At 7/18/23 08:37 PM, Joltopus wrote: Steal wholesale another persons song then completely restructure it. Think of it like a homework assignment or an exercise, an expression of how your mind can construct or restructure an already existing idea. There are dozens of techniques you can use to do this: flip the song upside down. Play it backwards then reverse in the middle. Write a negative harmony version of a few meters. If it doesn’t get the juices moving then it may keep the water from going stale.

I don't know, I think that's remixing.