00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

maxbombolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

a moment passed III

416 Views | 0 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

a moment passed III 2023-04-13 07:10:28

Here I sat, hunched over supporting my chin on both hands.. staring diagonally down to the changes of sun and shade glimmering from the shaky foilage of the tree above.. on a metal town bench, in the process of losing its rosey paint, flaking.. likely a health hazard.. but that was not on my mind..

What was.. ah nothing.. like every other day.. it was like every other day, same place same time.

From across the street, another bench.. inviting another boy possibly thinking the same nothing like every other day.

I looked again.. the boy across nudged his head back quickly and so slightly that it seemed like a gesture.. was it someone I knew? Someone who recogniced me..

He didn't seem familiar.. his hair hazel blond curled sideways like an elf from folklore.. he was my age.. most likely no older than twenty..

I remember stories from my grandfather.. how people used to talk.. sit side by side on benches just like these.. and then at some point went their own ways.. but they had talked meaningfully.. and took with them such encounters sometimes hoping they would meet eachother again.. from such talks friendships were born.. familiar faces..

This boy was so unfamiliar still.. equally lonely on the other side across..

He nudged again..

He waved..

Why wave at me.. I didn't know him.. he couldn't know me.. perhaps he knew someone I knew.. and someone I knew told him about how I looked.. but it had been so long since I even spent any time with anyone.. why would you spend time with anyone with the world in your pocket..

I grabbed my Phone and looked at the screen.. no messages.. no updates.. how dull..

Looking up I noticed the boy crossing the street.. coming right at me.. and halfway he already called out..

"So nice to see you!"

I felt enstranged.. why would someone I had never met say that.. how odd..

I quickly tucked away my phone.. considering it possible that this was a burglers attempt to lower my guard to make his move.. and covered my arms over my chest holding my hands to my neck.. "I'm.. sorry?"

"Don't be sorry bro!" The stranger insisted with a warm calm tone.. "Let's go on an adventure.."

"Wh..What?!" I stumbled.. "Why.., I ..can't just get up and go on adventures with strangers.."

The stranger stepped one foot back to a carefree pose, putting his hands to his side as he arced back and smiled.. "Come.."

Something inside triggered me to stand to my feet.. wether it had been the drag or the lack of interaction in my life.. I couldn't help but follow him as he pranced on laughing and kicking every can we passed..

I didn't know what propelled my feet forward.. having otherwise been so comfortable sitting on that familiar bench, keeping my days free from suprises..

"Why though.." I asked the boy.. "And where are we going?"

He turned only briefly before whirling back into his playful endeavor.. "Wherever we can.."

"Where can we.." I emediately responded.. wondering whether it was even socially acceptible to follow this potentially mad individual.. he could be on drugs.. close to snapping and throwing himself into traffic.. or attack me.. what if he had a knife.. what if he had a gun!.. what if he was taking me to an abandoned place to slowly cut me to pieces in some deranged plot..

"You're.. not on drugs are you.." I almost begged..

"No ofcourse not.. but I've got a cat.."

.."a cat?"

Before I knew it we were standing in front of what seemed to be a hedge with some boards neatly placed in front of it.. it reminded me somewhat of my childhood.. when I would crawl under such hedges looking for secluded places to be away from the ever judging gaze of parents and their henchmen..

"You're not seriously thinking I'll crawl through there.." I hesitantly defied him as he removed the board from the hedge indeed showing a leafy tunnel through..

"Cmon... don't you want to meet the cat.." He suprised me.. "He's there -every day-"

"You're making it up.. you want to rob me.." I declined..

But something in me gnawed.. would I go back to the bench.. put my head into my hands again to stare at the ground.. or could I take the risk.. ..the risk.. or the chance.. perhaps.. it was a chance..

A chance to finally experience atleast ..something.

I got on my knees and crawled under the hedge.. and stuck my head out on the other side..

There.. the sun seemed to shine slightly brighter.. as a perfectly round field invited so the rays in a sort of optical illusion.. like a grassy mirror..

Slightly to the right of the middle rested enjoying the warmth.. a young cat, curled up into itself.. white ..spotted orange.. it lifted its tiny head and looked at me as I ..still on hands and knee's entered its habitat..

"His name is Tigerbread.. cause he kinda looks like one.." The boy joined us.

"I seriously thought you were going to jump me.." I admitted to him.."But I guess I've been so bored I had to see your cat.." and let out a laugh of my own.. emediately suprised.. as it had been the first time in perhaps a decade that I had done so..

"I know right" The boy casually replied.. pushing me toward the cat.. "He doesn't mind petting.. you can if you wanna."

Tigerbread sure didn't mind.. I must've petted him for half an hour straight..

Then we left the hidden place and I couldn't help but follow the boy oncemore..

"So where are we going now..., I can't say I've ever just walked around like this with a stranger.." .."Da used to tell me never to follow strangers to begin with.."

The Boy gave me a push.. "Call me Friso.." .."And I don't know any strangers.."

"My name is Simonas.." I traded and paused for a moment..

"Hey.. thats a positive way of thinking.. you mean you can spend time with anyone?" I tried..

Friso threw a twig into the air.. trying to land it on his finger.. "Ofcourse!.." .."That's what were here for .."

I had not thought of it for all these years.. just connecting with whoever you met.. not expecting introductions or mercantile reasons.. contracts or strict rules..

Was this how life used to be for Grandfather.. talking with strangers on a bench?..

What was I made afraid of.. why was I reluctant before.. why was I so suspecting of ill intent..

I wondered..

"But you haven't told me yet.. why you asked me' to come on this adventure then.. Friso.."

"You looked like you needed one".. Friso admitted.. "looking so down.."

I was dumbstruck.. for he was right.. I had shown all signs of being thirsty for something, anything to engage with..And now I hadn't even checked my phone for updates ever since I had followed after Friso..

"I'm going home.. maybe I'll see you again.. Simonas.." Friso broke up..

I nodded and shook his hand..

"Really nice to meet you."

-

The next day I took seat on the bench, sharp on the same time.. eager .. hoping that Friso would come to sit at the bench across and wave at me again.. like a familiar face..

Now and then other people sat there.. not soon after continuing on their way..

This went on for a few days until another boy came to sit at the bench across and held his chin to his hands.. staring at the ground..

I noticed him briefly looking at me..

I nudged my head back slightly..

Then waved..

I couldn't help but to get up.. and walked across..

"So nice to see you!" I said almost with a cheer to my voice anticipating already on the joy I could share..

The boy looked suprised.. sat somewhat sideways as to ensure a swift escape if he had to..

"E..eh... w..what?"

I gave him the best well meant smile I possibly could and said.. "Come"

Carefully the boy stood up.. and as I could no longer contain my cheer walking into the direction of a route toward a certain hedge.. I turned and saw him follow.

Fin.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)