00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

tunedMedic just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

HELLO VA FORUM!!!

1,052 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-22 23:07:16

Im probably gonna start using this forum more often, since the deep loss of general, ill release my demo soon after my friends animation is up for pico day!! :DD

Until Death Do Us Part

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-23 18:27:07

At 3/22/23 11:07 PM, Olexxie wrote: Im probably gonna start using this forum more often, since the deep loss of general, ill release my demo soon after my friends animation is up for pico day!! :DD

Why wait? Let's hear it!

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-23 20:06:02

At 3/23/23 06:27 PM, Galneda wrote:
At 3/22/23 11:07 PM, Olexxie wrote: Im probably gonna start using this forum more often, since the deep loss of general, ill release my demo soon after my friends animation is up for pico day!! :DD
Why wait? Let's hear it!

haha patience

Until Death Do Us Part

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-24 15:10:50

Welcome to the club, and bring on those voices!

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-24 17:39:23

At 3/23/23 08:06 PM, Olexxie wrote:
Why wait? Let's hear it!
haha patience

Why? You got content in your demo that's secured by an NDA or something?

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-24 19:58:58

At 3/24/23 05:39 PM, Galneda wrote:
At 3/23/23 08:06 PM, Olexxie wrote:
Why wait? Let's hear it!
haha patience
Why? You got content in your demo that's secured by an NDA or something?

...i dont have a demo thats the thing

Until Death Do Us Part

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-24 22:48:29 (edited 2023-03-24 22:49:07)

At 3/24/23 07:58 PM, Olexxie wrote:

Well, be the change you're trying to be. Let's rough it out together as a community.

1. What do you have recorded so far that's a really strong example of what you can do?
  2. What kind of roles do you really want to get hired for?

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-26 03:01:47

At 3/24/23 10:48 PM, Galneda wrote:
At 3/24/23 07:58 PM, Olexxie wrote:
Well, be the change you're trying to be. Let's rough it out together as a community.

Honestly my dumbass joke voices

And I don't really know? I mean my natural voice is really fucking weird it's like, deep female voice but it's also really monotone

Until Death Do Us Part

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-26 12:23:42 (edited 2023-03-26 12:26:16)

At 3/26/23 03:01 AM, Olexxie wrote:

I don't know what the means. That could be a cartoon character, or a creature, or anything really. What could be a "dumbass joke" to you, might be exactly what a role needs.

Whose to say unless it's heard?

And I don't really know? I mean my natural voice is really fucking weird it's like, deep female voice but it's also really monotone

"You are your own worst critic" and see above. Might sound weird to you, but it might be the weird-shaped block to fit someone's weird-shaped hole in their project.

Limit yourself to sixty seconds for your demo reel, and pick out your strongest examples for a Character Reel.

A commercial reel would be like, "Hey, I'm trying to sell a product. This is industry, this is politics, this is something you'd hear on the radio or tv."

But, if your voices are a little whackier and unusual, that would be really strong for a Character Reel!

Consider as you're planning out what to do for your reel, how to diversify your range.

Start with your regular, natural, comfortable speaking voice. Or end with it! It's your show, but definitely include that, because you could do that all day- if someone hires you for that, it's easy money. Just listen to Zach Hadel / psychicpebbles, he has a very distinct, unconventional speaking voice, and he lands roles CONSTANTLY based on that merit. He was a castmate of mine in The Stockholm's and I worked on scenes with him in Cyanide & Happiness where he's a genie that curses Robert Benfer (Knox) as a stop-motion man.

Once you got a decent line showcasing your voice, hey! That ate up a couple of seconds! The world is yours as to what you fill the rest of that minute with!

Consider different age-ranges. How young can you sound? How old? A babychild ain't gonna sound like a grade-schooler. A teenager is going to sound different than a college freshman. A college grad is going to sound slightly different than a parent, and that is going to sound different to a grandparent.

Once you've played with your age-range, consider occupational differences. A cop or a soldier is going to sound different to a nurse or a doctor. A teacher may have a completely different temperament and cadence to a scientist. What about an even broader difference, like a supervillain versus a literal angel. A ghost and a vampire. An alien and a robot.

The choice is yours!

And if you can nail any accents? You'll fill that minute really quickly, and then it's time to just deduce what are the strongest examples of your acting ability, demonstrated in this demo of yours?

You got a mic? You got Audacity?

...and if yes and yes, do you have time?

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-26 16:37:21

At 3/26/23 12:23 PM, Galneda wrote:
At 3/26/23 03:01 AM, Olexxie wrote:
I don't know what the means. That could be a cartoon character, or a creature, or anything really. What could be a "dumbass joke" to you, might be exactly what a role needs.

Whose to say unless it's heard?

"You are your own worst critic" and see above. Might sound weird to you, but it might be the weird-shaped block to fit someone's weird-shaped hole in their project.

Limit yourself to sixty seconds for your demo reel, and pick out your strongest examples for a Character Reel.

A commercial reel would be like, "Hey, I'm trying to sell a product. This is industry, this is politics, this is something you'd hear on the radio or tv."

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1203563

But, if your voices are a little whackier and unusual, that would be really strong for a Character Reel!

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1135383

Consider as you're planning out what to do for your reel, how to diversify your range.

Start with your regular, natural, comfortable speaking voice. Or end with it! It's your show, but definitely include that, because you could do that all day- if someone hires you for that, it's easy money. Just listen to Zach Hadel / psychicpebbles, he has a very distinct, unconventional speaking voice, and he lands roles CONSTANTLY based on that merit. He was a castmate of mine in The Stockholm's and I worked on scenes with him in Cyanide & Happiness where he's a genie that curses Robert Benfer (Knox) as a stop-motion man.

Once you got a decent line showcasing your voice, hey! That ate up a couple of seconds! The world is yours as to what you fill the rest of that minute with!

Consider different age-ranges. How young can you sound? How old? A babychild ain't gonna sound like a grade-schooler. A teenager is going to sound different than a college freshman. A college grad is going to sound slightly different than a parent, and that is going to sound different to a grandparent.

Once you've played with your age-range, consider occupational differences. A cop or a soldier is going to sound different to a nurse or a doctor. A teacher may have a completely different temperament and cadence to a scientist. What about an even broader difference, like a supervillain versus a literal angel. A ghost and a vampire. An alien and a robot.

The choice is yours!

And if you can nail any accents? You'll fill that minute really quickly, and then it's time to just deduce what are the strongest examples of your acting ability, demonstrated in this demo of yours?

You got a mic? You got Audacity?

...and if yes and yes, do you have time?

dude holy shit, thats alot of advice. tysm im just really nervous that i wont be good enough X.X

Until Death Do Us Part

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-26 17:34:42 (edited 2023-03-26 17:47:42)

At 3/26/23 04:37 PM, Olexxie wrote:
dude holy shit, thats alot of advice. tysm im just really nervous that i wont be good enough X.X

No worries! I'm here to help.

Silence the voice of anxiety in your head, because imposter syndrome has no place in this industry. It is the ultimate gatekeeper.

Here's some global recontextualization that might put things into perspective as to how fear is the mindkiller:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If out of a billion people in the world, only a half of that billion are even concerned enough to know what voice acting even is.

A million of that chunk of the population might think it's an interesting career, or even recognize it as a job.

A hundred thousand of them think it's cool enough to do. That they'd be really stoked to do something like that!

Ten thousand think they have what it takes to do it and express interest to become a voice talent. But they don't move on it, or think that it's an unrealistic path for themselves

A thousand of them move on it. Big moves and little moves, there's motion toward the goal of being a voice in a thing.

A hundred get the hardware and put themselves out there for it and try their asses off, regardless of feedback or momentum. Even if it's only for a little while.

Tens succeed and get paid. Consistently or occasionally.

One might even become famous for it every once and a while.

Out of a billion people. Thousands of talents. Every day.

Right now, you're in that ten thousand bracket. You made your first move with this thread. The more you move, the more you distance yourself with the majority, and ascend into the few who have done it or are doing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a deep breath and cleanse your mind.

Steel your nerves with your why. I'm talking about the why are you trying to do this in the first place?

Because it's fun! It's cool, you have a passion for it, you have an ability for it, and it's possible. It could be a dream of yours. A passion. An observation that you have something unique to bring to the table, or a skill for it. Whatever your why is, know that it's valid.

You are in control. You belong, and just because there's a lot of voice actors out there, doesn't mean there's not room for you too.

You might be insecure that your talent isn't up to par with talent you've heard before. But you need to realize, you're just getting started.

Nobody is born sounding like Don LaFontaine. Not even Don LaFontaine was born with the voice he became famous for.

How can you expect to be at Level 100 without getting to Level 2 first? You may be deluding your self image by comparing your novice abilities with advanced and expert talent.

So tell that voice of doubt to shush while you work. Confidence is a vital component to performance, so now's an excellent time to start cultivating it. With simple exercises like belief in your own ability. Certainty in your seat at the table. And the enthusiasm to learn by doing.

BBS Signature

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-26 20:17:49

Can't wait to hear it! love up and coming VA's!

This was posted by Exlhk (duh)

Response to HELLO VA FORUM!!! 2023-03-27 06:23:28

Welcome aboard