00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for VA directing advice

950 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Looking for VA directing advice 2023-03-18 23:18:36

I am a 22(M) university student studying animation and I am currently working on my junior film. It is going to be a little over a minute long. For this project, I need three voice actors and I am looking to start my search on-campus before looking elsewhere. The voice acting is fairly minimal with a brief monologue and a brief dialogue with a total of 6 lines spoken. My issue is not finding the voice actors but, rather, I have no directing experience or actual professional voice acting experience and I am looking for advice in how to approach the vetting process for those interested in the roles and how a session is properly conducted.

The voice acting or even sound design in general is not required for the assignment, but I would like to go the extra mile to create a powerful portfolio piece and learn the ropes of all steps in the animation process (even those that aren't the actual animation part).

This is also not a high-profile or professional situation. I am a college student with no experience and am just going the extra mile on the assignment. I also do not anticipate to deal with professional voice actors, as I am recruiting from a state college campus meaning I am dealing with a mixed bag. This means I am not looking to get into the bureaucratic, contractual side of things. Basically the plan is to advertise the roles, attract novice VAs, go through the auditioning process, select the VAs, and have them do their performance with the tentative screenplay I have written up. I plan on paying them out of my own pocket for their work after negotiating rates.

Anyone who would be able to provide some insight on how an auditioning process and the practicalities of directing in-sound studio works is greatly appreciated. Anything helps.

Response to Looking for VA directing advice 2023-03-23 23:01:24

Well, the fact that you're actually paying talent does lend to bumping this up from an "amateur gig" to "a paid gig" so, one, don't sell yourself short on the project. You're leading this thing. The talent you're now hiring for a paid gig, should be informed as such.

Because if, during the audition process, you're constantly undermining the labor with a list of "don't worry about its, it doesn't have to be perfect" they're going to hear you and they're not going to worry about it.

What I appreciated from Directors is the certainty and confidence in how they want their thing portrayed. I walk into a booth with the impression that they chose me because I could get it closest to how they imagine it, and a line delivery isn't just made ANY ol way, but the they'll know it when they hear it. Make adjustments as you hear the line deliveries. Saves you time and back-and-forth, BE present or patched in live as they're delivering the lines. You can chop up the selects later.

Don't just hire anybody, hire the correct voice for the role. And when you're auditioning, have them read the emotional polarities they'll be expressing. If they got a moment where they're fucking pissed, hear it. Then hear their standard energy level. If they got a moment where they're laughing their ass off, make em do it so you know that they can.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for VA directing advice 2023-03-24 12:48:34

At 3/23/23 11:01 PM, Galneda wrote: Well, the fact that you're actually paying talent does lend to bumping this up from an "amateur gig" to "a paid gig" so, one, don't sell yourself short on the project. You're leading this thing. The talent you're now hiring for a paid gig, should be informed as such.

Because if, during the audition process, you're constantly undermining the labor with a list of "don't worry about its, it doesn't have to be perfect" they're going to hear you and they're not going to worry about it.

What I appreciated from Directors is the certainty and confidence in how they want their thing portrayed. I walk into a booth with the impression that they chose me because I could get it closest to how they imagine it, and a line delivery isn't just made ANY ol way, but the they'll know it when they hear it. Make adjustments as you hear the line deliveries. Saves you time and back-and-forth, BE present or patched in live as they're delivering the lines. You can chop up the selects later.

Don't just hire anybody, hire the correct voice for the role. And when you're auditioning, have them read the emotional polarities they'll be expressing. If they got a moment where they're fucking pissed, hear it. Then hear their standard energy level. If they got a moment where they're laughing their ass off, make em do it so you know that they can.

Thank you for the great advice! I appreciate your input. Since posting this, I've asked a couple friends in the animation club who have experience with working with voice actors and they've cleared up some other confusion. I anticipate to move off of the planning stage over the next week considering the end of the semester is approaching. Thanks again!

Response to Looking for VA directing advice 2023-03-24 15:21:56

At 3/18/23 11:18 PM, Platnoman wrote:
Anyone who would be able to provide some insight on how an auditioning process and the practicalities of directing in-sound studio works is greatly appreciated. Anything helps.

Hey man, besides the solid advice Geoff already gave, for me it helps a lot to get the clearest possible picture of the character I'm auditioning for. And the more you can contribute, the better - besides the obvious lines, you can have a character description, sketch or drawing, voice references of what you would like them to sound like, storyboard - anything, really.

Besides that, expectation management is the game - as long as you say what you'll do and do as you've said, there's little you can do wrong. Go get 'em!

Response to Looking for VA directing advice 2023-03-24 15:59:59

At 3/24/23 03:21 PM, LuckyDee wrote:
At 3/18/23 11:18 PM, Platnoman wrote:
Hey man, besides the solid advice Geoff already gave, for me it helps a lot to get the clearest possible picture of the character I'm auditioning for. And the more you can contribute, the better - besides the obvious lines, you can have a character description, sketch or drawing, voice references of what you would like them to sound like, storyboard - anything, really.

Besides that, expectation management is the game - as long as you say what you'll do and do as you've said, there's little you can do wrong. Go get 'em!

Thank you! This is really helpful too! I'm already kicking things into high-gear.

Response to Looking for VA directing advice 2023-03-24 18:36:57

I'm glad the best advice surfaced first.

In the end, it all depends on the character-bio for each voice actor - age, race, gender do play a part, it's motivation and direction that matter. Motivation can be directed, if it's there lol

Best of luck, may your dreams/production be realized

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature