00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nnyboy64 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update

7,330 Views | 105 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Double XP Halloween Weekend

We are in the final days of our Halloween Spooktacular, with prizes for the best spooky animation, games, art and music. You have until the end of day Monday to submit your entry!

To celebrate Halloween Weekend and help get movie and game entries through judgment, we’re offering Double XP today until the end of day Tuesday. This means you’ll get XP for your first TEN votes per day, instead of your first FIVE like we normally do.

For the uninitiated, movies and games go through an initial judgment period that determines whether they remain on the site. You will see under judgment entries in purple on the Classic Portal page or via the dedicated Movie and Game judgment pages.

Scouting Update (Next Week?)

Starting as early as next week, Art and Audio scouting will become instant vs invite.

For anyone not familiar, the Art and Audio Portals default to showing entries by artists who have been scouted (approved) by their fellow artists. This is done to maintain a minimum quality threshold, since both Art and Audio can be easily flooded with low-effort / low-quality entries that make it hard for casual visitors to discover artists who are making a real effort.

Scouting has traditionally resulted in an invite being sent to the artist but this leads to various levels of confusion and lack of response, so we’re changing it to happen instantly. Scouted artists will also receive an introductory message that hopefully explains things better than before.

When you get scouted, you gain the ability to scout other people. This ability can be revoked, however, if you exercise poor judgment with who you scout. For example, sometimes someone will get scouted and the main Art Portal listing will suddenly be filled with rough sketches or sloppy MS Paint doodles, at which point that person will be de-scouted and the person who scouted them may lose their ability to scout other people.

After this update, if you have scouted people, you will now see those totals on your user page, in the infobox where we show totals for Trophies, Medals, Supporter, etc. Clicking the total will go to the list of people you’ve scouted.

It’s kinda confusing that NG has a judgment process for movies and games, with a scouting process for art and audio. The judgment system goes back to the launch of our automated publishing system in the year 2000. When we introduced the Audio Portal in 2003, to combat music piracy we had moderators officially approve each new artist. When we launched the Art Portal in 2009, we created the scouting system as a way to let the community vet each other. This system ultimately expanded to Audio, to remove the moderator bottleneck. Will scouting ever come to Movies and Games? It’s possible. Maybe scouted artists would skip the judgment phase but others would still risk having their entries voted off the site. It would make the judgment list more manageable while removing a bottleneck for vetted artists.

If NG history interests you, you may enjoy reading our history page.

Interstitials

We’ve been experimenting with interstitials; promo boxes that appear occasionally after you’ve browsed a number of pages. Unregistered users get a box encouraging them to sign up, while registered non-Supporters will get a less frequent Supporter promo. If you’ve been seeing them, have they been bothering you or are they not too bad? Is the Supporter promo feeling too frequent?

Various changes we’ve made this month have created an upward trend in new Supporters. If this continues, we’ll be gradually removing the last of the ads on A-rated pages (already did so with Art) and increasing the monthly prizes. I’m trying to manage my expectations at the moment but things are looking really good if we keep this up.

Other News

@MindChamber has announced Robot Day will be November 26th!

@Jaime-R has a new cartoon you can watch as part of Justin Roiland's "The Paloni Show! Halloween Special" on Hulu. If you don’t have Hulu, enjoy these classics:

@BrandyBuizel is organizing Tankmas ADVENTure 2022.

@itsreddqueen and @CommanderKuni are hosting an NG Cookbook Collab.

@Fro is the 11th strongest man under 200 lbs in the US.

Peter the Ant Day is December 26th!

@CatFat spent many years making a beautifully animated Destiny video, give it a look!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:26:25

At 10/28/22 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Double XP Halloween Weekend

We are in the final days of our Halloween Spooktacular, with prizes for the best spooky animation, games, art and music. You have until the end of the day Monday to submit your entry!

To celebrate Halloween Weekend and help get movie and game entries through judgment, we’re offering Double XP today until the end of day Tuesday. This means you’ll get XP for your first TEN votes per day, instead of your first FIVE like we normally do.

For the uninitiated, movies and games go through an initial judgment period that determines whether they remain on the site. You will see under judgment entries in purple on the Classic Portal page or via the dedicated Movie and Game judgment pages.

Scouting Update (Next Week?)

Starting as early as next week, Art and Audio scouting will become instant vs invite.

For anyone not familiar, the Art and Audio Portals default to showing entries by artists who have been scouted (approved) by their fellow artists. This is done to maintain a minimum quality threshold, since both Art and Audio can be easily flooded with low-effort / low-quality entries that make it hard for casual visitors to discover artists who are making a real effort.

Scouting has traditionally resulted in an invite being sent to the artist but this leads to various levels of confusion and lack of response, so we’ve now changed it to happen instantly. Scouted artists will also receive an introductory email that hopefully explains things better than before.

When you get scouted, you gain the ability to scout other people. This ability can be revoked, however, if you exercise poor judgment with who you scout. For example, sometimes someone will get scouted and the main Art Portal listing will suddenly be filled with rough sketches or sloppy MS Paint doodles, at which point that person will be de-scouted and the person who scouted them may lose their ability to scout other people.

After this update, if you have scouted people, you will now see those totals on your user page, in the infobox where we show totals for Trophies, Medals, Supporter, etc. Clicking the total will go to the list of people you’ve scouted.

It’s kinda confusing that NG has a judgment process for movies and games, with a scouting process for art and audio. The judgment system goes back to the launch of our automated publishing system in the year 2000. When we introduced the Audio Portal in 2003, to combat music piracy we had moderators officially approve each new artist. When we launched the Art Portal in 2009, we created the scouting system as a way to let the community vet each other. This system ultimately expanded to Audio, to remove the moderator bottleneck. Will scouting ever come to Movies and Games? It’s possible. Maybe scouted artists would skip the judgment phase but others would still risk having their entries voted off the site. It would make the judgment list more manageable while removing a bottleneck for vetted artists.

If NG history interests you, you may enjoy reading our history page.

Interstitials

We’ve been experimenting with interstitials; promo boxes that appear occasionally after you’ve browsed a number of pages. Unregistered users get a box encouraging them to sign up, while registered non-Supporters will get a less frequent Supporter promo. If you’ve been seeing them, have they been bothering you or are they not too bad? Is the Supporter promo feeling too frequent?

Various changes we’ve made this month have created an upward trend in new Supporters. If this continues, we’ll be gradually removing the last of the ads on A-rated pages (already did so with Art) and increasing the monthly prizes. I’m trying to manage my expectations at the moment but things are looking really good if we keep this up.

Other News

@MindChamber has announced Robot Day will be November 26th!

@Jaime-R has a new cartoon you can watch as part of Justin Roiland's "The Paloni Show! Halloween Special" on Hulu. If you don’t have Hulu, enjoy these classics:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/671614
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/738933

@BrandyBuizel is organizing Tankmas ADVENTure 2022.

@itsreddqueen and @CommanderKuni are hosting an NG Cookbook Collab.

@Fro is the 11th strongest man under 200 lbs in the US.

Peter the Ant Day is December 26th!

@CatFat spent many years making a beautifully animated Destiny video, give it a look!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/860517

DOUBLE XP!?! EVERYONE QUICKLY! TO THE PORTALLLLLLLLL!

BBS Signature

Am gonna scout ur ass

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:28:34

Really good update Tom!

I do hope eventually I can git gud enough to be scouted one day. But eh, its whatevs IMO, I just like to draw and post.

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:29:24

At 10/28/22 09:28 AM, Anonicus wrote: Really good update Tom!
I do hope eventually I can git gud enough to be scouted one day. But eh, its whatevs IMO, I just like to draw and post.

One day, you will become good enough to get scouted.

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:31:26

Yippie! Moar XP for moar art!

"If it ain't weird, can it be cool?"

Scientists continue debating on this question.

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:32:41

At 10/28/22 09:26 AM, YendorNG wrote: DOUBLE XP!?! EVERYONE QUICKLY! TO THE PORTALLLLLLLLL!

GAS GAS

535bnq.gif

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:34:20

At 10/28/22 09:32 AM, biterrrr wrote:
At 10/28/22 09:26 AM, YendorNG wrote: DOUBLE XP!?! EVERYONE QUICKLY! TO THE PORTALLLLLLLLL!
GAS GAS

Gotta step on the gassss

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:44:57

Interstitials

The supporter promo so far is only showing up for me once per session, and if it remains like that, I have no complaints, despide finding them kind of annoying since I understand why they're being done.

As for the "create an account" prompts: whille I rarelly visit newgrounds without loggin in, if the encouragement to create an account is as invasive as the supporter promo, I FUCKING HATE WHEN SITES DO IT! I can see it having the opposite of the desired effect and reppelling new users out of spite instead. But considering that I quit sites for using algorithyms to predict my interests, which the average user seems to love enough not to demand the option to toggle them off... Maybe I'm just part of some minority that feels that way...

I just preffer non-invasive prompts for account creations, like replacing the voting bar with "create an account to rate this" and so forth, and maybe replace the space where the avatar shows with a list of account benefits, but if those are more demanding on your end, what can I do? Whatever you decide, I hope turns out well. Good luck!

Full size of signature's picture

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:45:09

At 10/28/22 09:34 AM, YendorNG wrote:
GAS GAS
Gotta step on the gassss

And find a path to success(this is turning in actually well made song)

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:47:07

I'm sure my game won't even give tenth placed

Flash portable is trash in first time, later it gets better

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:47:09

At 10/28/22 09:45 AM, biterrrr wrote:
At 10/28/22 09:34 AM, YendorNG wrote:
GAS GAS
Gotta step on the gassss
And find a path to success(this is turning in actually well made song)

Unfortunately I thought we were singing some Eurobeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8 but it does ring nice. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 09:48:36

Thanks for the shoutout, Tom.

Much love <3

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 10:06:11

Yooooo! double xp? that's Awesome!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 10:25:34

iu_785605_8157415.png

Off to shoot at shit!

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 10:31:03

At 10/28/22 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/860517

I appreciate the shout out Tom! <3

PSN ID: CatFatius

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 10:35:26

Hell yeah let’s grind some mobs! Who wants to pick up group and go questing?

hello

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 10:41:34

I really do love the scouting system and do hope it expands over to games and movies,. it's a positive and encouraging system that balances well with the judging process.

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 11:23:02

It's so nice to see that the site is doing well amidst what the rest of the internet is going through right now.

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 11:52:23

It's interesting to think about scouting extending to Games and Movies - I like the idea of scouted artists being able to just send content through while unscouted folks still need to go through judgement. It feels like a good compromise. Part of me is worried that submissions that have been sitting in judgement for a while would take even longer to go through, but after checking a minute ago, it looks like the longest anything has been in there as of this moment is a few days. That's not so bad. I remember back before Unity used WebGL, it was awful; submissions could sit in there for months before getting voted through.

Plus, the honest truth is that standards for judgement have gotten a lot more lax, anyway.

I noticed today that I can evaluate projects and XP more than usual five once a day.

And of course, the most important thing is that everyone has a happy HALLOWEEN!

Who cares about my work and other fun - I'm here

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 12:11:54

this puts an end to us having to explain scouting to any new person

BBS Signature

yeah, i already made one animation for it, by the way COOL.

I like to make animations :)

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 12:54:46

You can never have enough double XP days. Never.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 14:37:53

At 10/28/22 12:11 PM, HenryEYES wrote: this puts an end to us having to explain scouting to any new person

You will always have to explain scouting to any given new person.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Well thanks for the double XP for the last days of October. Anyway that was interesting history lesson, about the scouting system, I'm not sure if games and movies needed it, I rather vote for them in the classic portal, than the other way around with it.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 15:18:41

Thank you tom fulp

iu_785821_8895059.jpg

Fredrick piss water the 3rd

my best thread

My channel :)

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 15:31:00

The interstitial is a little annoying on mobile, both in frequently and size. It seems less like a friendly invite, and more like a desperate plea.

Still, I'm not overly bothered, though part of that is just sympathy for your plight. Have you ever considered doing first party ads? Maybe somewhat like how Royal Road does them (where they sell the slot to community members to advertise their work)? That could be another great supporter perk, and also they are much harder to hit with ad block. If they weren't overly annoying I bet they'd almost feel like a feature, rather than a pain.

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 15:49:11

At 10/28/22 03:31 PM, LiteraryWho wrote: The interstitial is a little annoying on mobile, both in frequently and size. It seems less like a friendly invite, and more like a desperate plea.

Still, I'm not overly bothered, though part of that is just sympathy for your plight. Have you ever considered doing first party ads? Maybe somewhat like how Royal Road does them (where they sell the slot to community members to advertise their work)? That could be another great supporter perk, and also they are much harder to hit with ad block. If they weren't overly annoying I bet they'd almost feel like a feature, rather than a pain.

Community ads might make a few thousand bucks a month but they won't pay for hosting and development. There are no plans to go back to ads at this point; it's Supporters or no Newgrounds for anyone.

I'll likely keep making the interstitial less frequent but they are definitely getting results, which is the most important factor at this point.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Halloween, Scouting Update 2022-10-28 15:54:13

At 10/28/22 03:49 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/28/22 03:31 PM, LiteraryWho wrote: The interstitial is a little annoying on mobile, both in frequently and size. It seems less like a friendly invite, and more like a desperate plea.

Community ads might make a few thousand bucks a month but they won't pay for hosting and development. There are no plans to go back to ads at this point; it's Supporters or no Newgrounds for anyone.

I'll likely keep making the interstitial less frequent but they are definitely getting results, which is the most important factor at this point.

Good luck and God speed 👍