00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpicyTurtlArt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tankmas ADVENTure 2022

6,152 Views | 46 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Yes, I know it’s only October, shut up.

Alright, first thing you’re gonna do is read this entire post slowly and understand the criteria clearly because I’m not gonna be replying to every little question that’s already explained here. I’m not saying don’t ask questions, but if I have to repeat myself I probably won’t. That’s the barrier of entry for this collab; welcome to ADVENT 2022!

@GeoKureli and myself are BACK with a little bit of a reboot to the advent formula this year…

For those of you uninitiated, the annual Advent Calendar is a game submission on newgrounds built around the idea of logging in every day in December and receiving a new present each day; which in our case is an original artwork by an awesome surprise newgrounds artist. It’s a fun collaboration from a decade ago that was revived in 2018 by @ninjamuffin99. Myself and @GeoKureli have chosen to keep it going every year since. Each year we try to outdo ourselves because of human nature or whatever and we’ve added albums of music, minigames, new environments, a story, a wardrobe of skins, comics, microgames, online multiplayer, and even live movie premiers! It’s a lot of fun to play, experience, and participate in as a contributor with whatever your artistic medium of choice.

Last year’s Advent Calendar we were both pre-occupied, George was getting married and I was crunching on LUCKYBOY up until Christmas Day(which premiered in the ADVENT), so @SplatterDash @TheDyingSun and @KnoseDoge stepped up and took the reigns to keep the tradition going! Sure, George and I were both still helping out day-to-day but we couldn't be on call 24/7 all of December like we usually do and take care of the big chunks of the game. This year I’m unemployed(until very recently) and George is… I didn’t really ask! We both love this time of year so much it doesn’t matter, so we’re hosting it again!

Okay, so why isn’t @GeoKureli making this post? This year I’m the big boy in the big boy pants with the big boy hardon for spreadsheets and I plan to run a tight ship. I’m a firm believer in Murphy's Law(based on the last few advents), however, there are a few things I can control, such as: there isn’t going to be 50 goddamn artists for just 32 days of ADVENT. This is a big one and I gotta be blunt, last year quite a few participants were a bit miffed and soured by the experience during this wonderful season because they got relegated to “backup artist” roles. It was a bad system that was first come, first served to pick which day your art would appear. Even when the artist for a day slipped up and missed their deadline the backup artist wasn’t even used, so 10+ art pieces were lumped together on the last day and it felt more obligatory than celebratory. I didn’t like that and since I wasn’t in charge there was nothing I could do to help. @SplatterDash and co. did their best for their first time hosting.

Here comes the big shock. We’ll only be accepting 36 artists this year, but keep in mind that isn't the only way to participate(additional art, music, minigames, etc. further down in this post). Advent only runs 32 days(starting December 1st and ending on January 1st 2023) and we only need 4 backup artists(any unused art will be added to a bigger drop on Christmas Day). Additionally we usually have a dozen or more returning artists each year who love the advent time and come back to us with open arms. It’s really sweet. But that also means locking the gate to new talent if we wanna include all our old friends. I don’t like the idea of that, so this year I’m doing things a little bit differently. I’ve personally contacted a bunch of excellent artists from previous years who have always been reliable with their deadlines and ~21 of them plan to be returning this year. Keep in mind over 4 years of the ADVENT we’ve had nearly 100 artists collaborate with us, so if I didn’t contact you specifically over discord don’t think I hate you and please keep reading this post.

That means there are ~15 slots left for new artists to join. If you’ve never been in ADVENT before, how do you apply?

• Fill out this form. Usually we just have you reply to this post, but this will help me sort out the applicants from the people just excited about the advent in the replies(as well as get all the necessary information… like your blood type).
  • Paste a link to your personal best piece of artwork uploaded on Newgrounds. We will be looking at all of your art, don't worry, but we’ll mostly be gauging the quality of art we can expect from you in a timely manner.
  • DO NOT post artwork in the replies and expect that to get in. Every art piece in the Advent is a gift and should be a COMPLETE SURPRISE
  • DO NOT begin work on your art before being accepted into the collab, I don’t want to break anyone’s heart, but if you just want to post some holiday art on your own that’s awesome :D

How many returning artists will get their own day? Will the newcomers be stuck as the backup artists? Who's to say! I’m keeping that stuff on a need-to-know basis to make the process easier for us and less stressful to participants.

But Brandon I love being in the advent, it’s always so much fun and I’m crushed that I can’t participate this year!! I hear you, but what’s rad about the advent calendar on newgrounds is that you can still contribute in other ways. I want our featured artists to each get their own day and feel special, but there’s only 32 days to do it. 

We also have special events/holidays/sections of the game like in Tankmas ADVENTure 2020 where game devs created microgames to play inside a virtual arcade like “Holiday Hominid Drop'' and “Pin the Tail on NickConter'' and @Butzbo’s music box toy. The advent runs on HaxeFlixel so if you’re a FNF modder you’ll be quick to adapt. There’s also @MrShmoods who blesses us with a yearly holiday comic! If that’s more your speed try making a winter/holiday themed one-shot of some characters you’ve been kicking around for a while. And of course there’s memorable tunes that herald the Tankmas season. I’ll wait to see how many musicians are interested before we get picky, but you can always collaborate with others on a track or work on music for some microgames. Honestly the more the merrier!

By filling out the same form as before you can let me know how you would like to contribute. I’m not here to organize little teams to make games and tell you all what to do. Socialize! Reach out!! We’re all like-minded creators so don’t be scared to hit up a stranger in the replies to this thread and collaborate on a microgame or comic or whatever else(if you’ve been accepted into the project)! All I’m saying is there’s a whole variety of things if you wanna be a part of ADVENT this year :)

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:02:24 (edited 2022-10-12 20:18:12)

We’ve also done some pretty sweet live premieres of new cartoons like LUCKYBOY from last year!

These are a little bit different. I’m totally down to premiere a movie in the game and watch a virtual theater of real people file in to watch your toon(honestly it gives me unbelievable joy just seeing the rows fill up). We’re not gonna premiere every cartoon. If you have an animation in the works that can be done in time for ADVENT you can pitch it to me privately(we’d wanna keep it a surprise, right?) in the form or through Newgrounds DMs. There is a chance that I’ll say no to the idea if it doesn’t feel appropriate to me because I’d like to keep this quality > quantity.

Alright, that feels like everything! I’ll send out an update sometime in November to everyone who applies and I’ll be sure to let you know if you’re in or if you didn’t make the cut this year. Let me know if you have any questions,

-brandon

EDIT: This will NOT be smaller than last year and we won't be "accepting less artists" so be sure to read!

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:08:43

AW YEAH!!!

IM READY FOR THE CHRIMBSMUSSSSS <3 <3 <3

*slaps table*

Do you like my art? Why don't you support me on KO-FI

I'm also taking commissions! Please check out my prices HERE!

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:13:04

Almost that time o’ yearrrr! <3

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:18:50

hey im cym

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:21:56

I was going to jump on the opportunity really fast but y’know, I think I’ll just sit this one out since I know there’s so much to do from now to the end of the year.

So… I can’t wait to see what this year’s Tankmas entails!! <3 Good Luck everyone.

At 10/12/22 08:02 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Yes, I know it’s only October, shut up.

Alright, first thing you’re gonna do is read this entire post slowly and understand the criteria clearly because I’m not gonna be replying to every little question that’s already explained here. I’m not saying don’t ask questions, but if I have to repeat myself I probably won’t. That’s the barrier of entry for this collab; welcome to ADVENT 2022!

@GeoKureli and myself are BACK with a little bit of a reboot to the advent formula this year…

For those of you uninitiated, the annual Advent Calendar is a game submission on newgrounds built around the idea of logging in every day in December and receiving a new present each day; which in our case is an original artwork by an awesome surprise newgrounds artist. It’s a fun collaboration from a decade ago that was revived in 2018 by @ninjamuffin99. Myself and @GeoKureli have chosen to keep it going every year since. Each year we try to outdo ourselves because of human nature or whatever and we’ve added albums of music, minigames, new environments, a story, a wardrobe of skins, comics, microgames, online multiplayer, and even live movie premiers! It’s a lot of fun to play, experience, and participate in as a contributor with whatever your artistic medium of choice.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/721061
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/743161
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/773236
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/824174

Last year’s Advent Calendar we were both pre-occupied, George was getting married and I was crunching on LUCKYBOY up until Christmas Day(which premiered in the ADVENT), so @SplatterDash @TheDyingSun and @KnoseDoge stepped up and took the reigns to keep the tradition going! Sure, George and I were both still helping out day-to-day but we couldn't be on call 24/7 all of December like we usually do and take care of the big chunks of the game. This year I’m unemployed(until very recently) and George is… I didn’t really ask! We both love this time of year so much it doesn’t matter, so we’re hosting it again!

Okay, so why isn’t @GeoKureli making this post? This year I’m the big boy in the big boy pants with the big boy hardon for spreadsheets and I plan to run a tight ship. I’m a firm believer in Murphy's Law(based on the last few advents), however, there are a few things I can control, such as: there isn’t going to be 50 goddamn artists for just 32 days of ADVENT. This is a big one and I gotta be blunt, last year quite a few participants were a bit miffed and soured by the experience during this wonderful season because they got relegated to “backup artist” roles. It was a bad system that was first come, first served to pick which day your art would appear. Even when the artist for a day slipped up and missed their deadline the backup artist wasn’t even used, so 10+ art pieces were lumped together on the last day and it felt more obligatory than celebratory. I didn’t like that and since I wasn’t in charge there was nothing I could do to help. @SplatterDash and co. did their best for their first time hosting.

Here comes the big shock. We’ll only be accepting 36 artists this year, but keep in mind that isn't the only way to participate(additional art, music, minigames, etc. further down in this post). Advent only runs 32 days(starting December 1st and ending on January 1st 2023) and we only need 4 backup artists(any unused art will be added to a bigger drop on Christmas Day). Additionally we usually have a dozen or more returning artists each year who love the advent time and come back to us with open arms. It’s really sweet. But that also means locking the gate to new talent if we wanna include all our old friends. I don’t like the idea of that, so this year I’m doing things a little bit differently. I’ve personally contacted a bunch of excellent artists from previous years who have always been reliable with their deadlines and ~21 of them plan to be returning this year. Keep in mind over 4 years of the ADVENT we’ve had nearly 100 artists collaborate with us, so if I didn’t contact you specifically over discord don’t think I hate you and please keep reading this post.

That means there are ~15 slots left for new artists to join. If you’ve never been in ADVENT before, how do you apply?

How many returning artists will get their own day? Will the newcomers be stuck as the backup artists? Who's to say! I’m keeping that stuff on a need-to-know basis to make the process easier for us and less stressful to participants.

But Brandon I love being in the advent, it’s always so much fun and I’m crushed that I can’t participate this year!! I hear you, but what’s rad about the advent calendar on newgrounds is that you can still contribute in other ways. I want our featured artists to each get their own day and feel special, but there’s only 32 days to do it. 

We also have special events/holidays/sections of the game like in Tankmas ADVENTure 2020 where game devs created microgames to play inside a virtual arcade like “Holiday Hominid Drop'' and “Pin the Tail on NickConter'' and @Butzbo’s music box toy. The advent runs on HaxeFlixel so if you’re a FNF modder you’ll be quick to adapt. There’s also @MrShmoods who blesses us with a yearly holiday comic! If that’s more your speed try making a winter/holiday themed one-shot of some characters you’ve been kicking around for a while. And of course there’s memorable tunes that herald the Tankmas season. I’ll wait to see how many musicians are interested before we get picky, but you can always collaborate with others on a track or work on music for some microgames. Honestly the more the merrier!

By filling out the same form as before you can let me know how you would like to contribute. I’m not here to organize little teams to make games and tell you all what to do. Socialize! Reach out!! We’re all like-minded creators so don’t be scared to hit up a stranger in the replies to this thread and collaborate on a microgame or comic or whatever else(if you’ve been accepted into the project)! All I’m saying is there’s a whole variety of things if you wanna be a part of ADVENT this year :)

Ms. busy bee!! <3

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:29:10 (edited 2022-10-12 20:30:25)

I smell a Tankmas cooking, and it smells delicious.

Can't wait to see all the people, new and old, contribute this year! Fingers crossed we get more mini-games because that was one of my favorite features of 2020's Advent.

GET IN ON THIS ACTION, GAME DEVS!!!

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:29:33

Can't wait, even if I don't get in. This is gonna be rad as hell

Quality is optional, I just guess the 50/50

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:38:50

oh my word!! wow!!!

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:41:33

At 10/12/22 08:29 PM, MrShmoods wrote: I smell a Tankmas cooking, and it smells delicious.

Can't wait to see all the people, new and old, contribute this year! Fingers crossed we get more mini-games because that was one of my favorite features of 2020's Advent.

GET IN ON THIS ACTION, GAME DEVS!!!

I'd really like to see some new games this year! 2021 only had one I think

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 20:52:19

Another year another look at a bunch of feel good art and cry

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 21:06:10 (edited 2022-10-12 21:06:49)

Its never to soon for Tankmas Team 2021 was a top team, bring on Team 2022.

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 21:07:36

Its great to hear the ADVENT is returning this year. I had a ton of fun participating last year, and I'm sure the newcomers this year will also as well! Good luck guys!

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 21:55:42

Has this event always required participants to give their email addresses? What is that requirement for, if NG has its own communication system?

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 22:09:38 (edited 2022-10-12 22:10:09)

Breeeeeeeeow. (That's the sound my form made going into your inbox.)

I hope I can contribute somehow.

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-12 22:47:31

I'd love to do a christmas theme toon, if anyone wants to collab hmu!!

Henry (Topple) Logan

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 00:49:14

Howdy

I want to join

Thanks

:3

I get the feeling I'm not quite made of the right stuff. . .

To float between the rings of 💫🪐Cosmic Metal Love🌌⭐

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 01:12:43

Hi Brandon. c:

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 01:13:03

At 10/12/22 09:55 PM, Thetageist wrote: Has this event always required participants to give their email addresses? What is that requirement for, if NG has its own communication system?

That's just google forms, it sends you a confirmation so there's no doubt your response was submitted. You can also edit your response using the link they email you!

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 01:21:44

Nice! I hope I have time to Finally join this annual event.

May the power of arts be with us all!

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 02:25:25

Sign me up! I filled out the form.

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 02:56:22

Brandy, let me in aaaaa

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 05:09:25

i return once a year for tankmas

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 10:01:15 (edited 2022-10-13 10:01:39)

you know, for all it's worth, even if I don't get accepted I'm just glad George gets to rise from the dead again for Tankmas

I'm GAY and I PISS and SHIT all over the place.

It's dangerous to browse the BBS alone! Take this!

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 13:00:30

At 10/12/22 08:02 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: We’ve also done some pretty sweet live premieres of new cartoons like LUCKYBOY from last year!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/775058
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/775655
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/827034
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/827175

These are a little bit different. I’m totally down to premiere a movie in the game and watch a virtual theater of real people file in to watch your toon(honestly it gives me unbelievable joy just seeing the rows fill up). We’re not gonna premiere every cartoon. If you have an animation in the works that can be done in time for ADVENT you can pitch it to me privately(we’d wanna keep it a surprise, right?) in the form or through Newgrounds DMs. There is a chance that I’ll say no to the idea if it doesn’t feel appropriate to me because I’d like to keep this quality > quantity.

Alright, that feels like everything! I’ll send out an update sometime in November to everyone who applies and I’ll be sure to let you know if you’re in or if you didn’t make the cut this year. Let me know if you have any questions,

-brandon

EDIT: This will NOT be smaller than last year and we won't be "accepting less artists" so be sure to read!

Sign me Up!

AdrielNG342 Animations™ - New Animations, Every Day!™

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 16:19:19 (edited 2022-10-13 16:19:37)

Lets get into this Tankmas spirit!!!!!.......ugh?!

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 17:19:52

The most wonderful time of the year!

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-13 17:51:20

Nothing ventured Nothing gained

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-14 14:40:45 (edited 2022-10-14 15:10:11)

Sign me up. I filled out the form.

Follow me on Newgrounds.com

Support me on Patreon

BBS Signature

Response to Tankmas ADVENTure 2022 2022-10-15 11:17:19

i might consider whipping something up in MS paint in just a few minutes.

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature