00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

harkhan71 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

critique on this sketch?

157 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

critique on this sketch? 2022-09-02 08:59:31

i did 99% of this last night and tweaked it a bit this morning, but something looks really off to me and i can’t figure out what. plus this gremlin in the back of my head keeps yelling at me “IT LOOKS LIKE FOOT FETISH ART JUST BECAUSE HER FOOT IS CLOSER TO THE CAMERA. IT DOESN’T MATTER THAT SHE’S WEARING SHOES. PEOPLE ARE GONNA THINK ITS FOOT FETISH ART” and i am doing everything i can not to double down and to post this lmao

iu_741646_10512501.png

just some notes, the reference image at the top is the one for the pose that i pulled off of pinterest, and the other reference is for the character (it’s not my character btw, she’s from the game omori)

art thread!! :D

art nerd who has nothing to talk about, other than art or extremely specific fandom stuff

BBS Signature

Response to critique on this sketch? 2022-09-02 11:11:59

At 9/2/22 08:59 AM, wonkypaws wrote: i did 99% of this last night and tweaked it a bit this morning, but something looks really off to me and i can’t figure out what. plus this gremlin in the back of my head keeps yelling at me “IT LOOKS LIKE FOOT FETISH ART JUST BECAUSE HER FOOT IS CLOSER TO THE CAMERA. IT DOESN’T MATTER THAT SHE’S WEARING SHOES. PEOPLE ARE GONNA THINK ITS FOOT FETISH ART” and i am doing everything i can not to double down and to post this lmao

just some notes, the reference image at the top is the one for the pose that i pulled off of pinterest, and the other reference is for the character (it’s not my character btw, she’s from the game omori)

If you look at your reference and your sketch you should notice that the layout is a bit different. In the image below I've added some lines to make it easier to see the differences in layout.

iu_741700_8016576.webp

It is very easy to draw what you think you see rather than what you actually see.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to critique on this sketch? 2022-09-02 11:37:14

At 9/2/22 11:11 AM, PerKGrok wrote:
At 9/2/22 08:59 AM, wonkypaws wrote: i did 99% of this last night and tweaked it a bit this morning, but something looks really off to me and i can’t figure out what. plus this gremlin in the back of my head keeps yelling at me “IT LOOKS LIKE FOOT FETISH ART JUST BECAUSE HER FOOT IS CLOSER TO THE CAMERA. IT DOESN’T MATTER THAT SHE’S WEARING SHOES. PEOPLE ARE GONNA THINK ITS FOOT FETISH ART” and i am doing everything i can not to double down and to post this lmao

If you look at your reference and your sketch you should notice that the layout is a bit different. In the image below I've added some lines to make it easier to see the differences in layout.

It is very easy to draw what you think you see rather than what you actually see.

just tweaked it a bit, how does this look? i included the second image with similar lines to the ones you drew to show how i tried to fix it

iu_741718_10512501.png

iu_741719_10512501.png

art nerd who has nothing to talk about, other than art or extremely specific fandom stuff

BBS Signature

Response to critique on this sketch? 2022-09-02 12:17:02

At 9/2/22 11:37 AM, wonkypaws wrote:
At 9/2/22 11:11 AM, PerKGrok wrote:

just tweaked it a bit, how does this look? i included the second image with similar lines to the ones you drew to show how i tried to fix it

The line between the side of the head down to the heal of the front foot is pretty much vertical. This is important to get the general shape. Your line is still at an angle. That effects the shape/pose a lot.

The horizontal line is between the top of each knee. Your line is between the middle of the lower leg and the knee on the other leg.

Notice that the lines are not representing bones. They are just there to aid the eye to see the shape.

You got a bit more to go, but you will get there. :)

iu_741734_8016576.webp

Another thing you will need to think about is the direction of the face.

In the reference the face is straight toward the viewer. In the sketch the sketch the face is in a 3/4 position.

That is a change that you could have a good reason to do. It will not change the whole pose, but it will change the position of the hand that supports the head and the angle of the lower arm. So that is something you should think about.

BBS Signature

Response to critique on this sketch? 2022-09-02 15:39:51

At 9/2/22 12:17 PM, PerKGrok wrote:
The line between the side of the head down to the heal of the front foot is pretty much vertical. This is important to get the general shape. Your line is still at an angle. That effects the shape/pose a lot.
The horizontal line is between the top of each knee. Your line is between the middle of the lower leg and the knee on the other leg.
Notice that the lines are not representing bones. They are just there to aid the eye to see the shape.

In the reference the face is straight toward the viewer. In the sketch the sketch the face is in a 3/4 position.
That is a change that you could have a good reason to do. It will not change the whole pose, but it will change the position of the hand that supports the head and the angle of the lower arm. So that is something you should think about.

i did a bit more tweaks on it, how does this look?

iu_741892_10512501.png

iu_741893_10512501.png

BBS Signature

Response to critique on this sketch? 2022-09-02 16:21:41

At 9/2/22 03:39 PM, wonkypaws wrote:

apologies for butting in, but I noticed that the hand that the face should be resting on isn't touching, so it looks a bit uncomfortable. I think if you pivot the torso a little bit, it would look a lot more natural

other than that, it's a lot better!

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to critique on this sketch? 2022-09-02 17:35:42

At 9/2/22 04:21 PM, Oddlem wrote:

apologies for butting in, but I noticed that the hand that the face should be resting on isn't touching, so it looks a bit uncomfortable. I think if you pivot the torso a little bit, it would look a lot more natural

other than that, it's a lot better!

thank you!!! i followed your advice, here’s how it looks now atm

iu_741988_10512501.png

BBS Signature

Response to critique on this sketch? 2022-09-03 02:12:03

Can still be tweaked a bit more.

iu_742271_8016576.webp

I've moved the whole left leg (from viewers point of view) to the right until the heal touches the vertical help line (the same as in the reference).

Moved the other foot up and right (no space between that foot and lower leg if you look at the reference)

and moved the hand resting on the floor up in the line of the arm.

To my eye the pose now is in balance. It is not exactly like the reference, but it doesn't have to be.

Still a question about what you want to do with the other arm. Should it be used to rest the characters head or something else? One thing you probably want to do is to have the elbow and the knee meet (the leg being a resting place for the arm)

@Oddlem

:apologies for butting in

No problem as far as I'm concerned. Having different person's views is a good thing.

BBS Signature