00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JalenBrah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Restoring the NG Voice Acting Community

686 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Howdy friends! Stanpai here with just some random thoughts about the voiceover scene on NG currently.

Right now, it feels to me like there's no shortage of talent but the people making cartoons aren't actually plugged into that pool of talent. Animators need to be willing to do a little extra work in finding the right person for their cartoons or, better yet, need to start working with a casting director. Most NG projects are unpaid opportunities so this sounds like a whole lot of extra work, but at least in the case of large collaboration projects like the FF7, Smash, and Toonami Collabs, this could go a long way. Actors need to put in the effort too.

I remember spending years working very hard to try and get into stuff as an actor. I still do so in the real world, as opposed to the more creative and fun side of Newgrounds. I think actors should be doing more to get themselves out there, but also think animators need to start caring a bit more about having not the same people voicing everything.

Aside from getting more people engaged here on the forum, what do you all think is the right move? How can we recharge the NG Voice community in a way that isn't a big circlejerk?

~Stan~

BBS Signature

Response to Restoring the NG Voice Acting Community 2022-08-25 13:41:24

At 8/25/22 01:26 PM, Stanpai wrote: Howdy friends! Stanpai here with just some random thoughts about the voiceover scene on NG currently.

Right now, it feels to me like there's no shortage of talent but the people making cartoons aren't actually plugged into that pool of talent. Animators need to be willing to do a little extra work in finding the right person for their cartoons or, better yet, need to start working with a casting director. Most NG projects are unpaid opportunities so this sounds like a whole lot of extra work, but at least in the case of large collaboration projects like the FF7, Smash, and Toonami Collabs, this could go a long way. Actors need to put in the effort too.

I remember spending years working very hard to try and get into stuff as an actor. I still do so in the real world, as opposed to the more creative and fun side of Newgrounds. I think actors should be doing more to get themselves out there, but also think animators need to start caring a bit more about having not the same people voicing everything.

Aside from getting more people engaged here on the forum, what do you all think is the right move? How can we recharge the NG Voice community in a way that isn't a big circlejerk?

I actually am just getting back into voice acting after having to take quite a bit of time off for my day job and life just generally getting in the way, BUT one of the best things to do as a VA or performer in general, is to create your own content. I love making fake commercials that don't require animation, but could totally BE animated later. Another thing for VAs here would be to reach out, rather than wait. Take a look in other forums and see who's talking about what projects they're working on and message them to see if they need a voice or two. Don't just wait to be cast, put yourself where they can see you!

Response to Restoring the NG Voice Acting Community 2022-08-28 02:57:20

At 8/25/22 01:26 PM, Stanpai wrote:

Hey man, great topic for discussion if you ask me. I see a ton of aspiring VA's announcing their availability here on the forum, and I give them all the same advice - get those auditions in. But somehow it feels like most of them find themselves unable to put in the effort - and yes, it can indeed be a lot of effort to finally land a role.

What Nick suggests here is a very good move in building a portfolio, but of course depends on a bigger skill set than the VA starter kit (which I think only consists of acting and basic audio production). We could set up thread here dedicated to casting calls, i.e. a place where the ones not published separately can be shared. It might increase the exposure of VA to opportunities, and by tagging the creator behind them raise awareness for the VA forum in the rest of the community.

Response to Restoring the NG Voice Acting Community 2022-08-28 11:39:15

I've been thinking about doing Voice Acting for the hell of it but I feel like that I wouldn't be super great at it.

Unless people enjoy the sound of laughter of pure insanity and what not.

Response to Restoring the NG Voice Acting Community 2022-08-29 05:04:04

At 8/28/22 11:39 AM, DioShiba wrote: I've been thinking about doing Voice Acting for the hell of it but I feel like that I wouldn't be super great at it.

Unless people enjoy the sound of laughter of pure insanity and what not.

Only one way to find out, I guess... (: