00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Inkolypso just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do I start voice acting?

883 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm a fairly young aspiring voice actor (Black, AFAB nonbinary, somewhat of an alto? or contralto, i don't remember). I don't feel like investing in any projects yet, but I'd like to start.

Follow for a lifetime supply of cringe.

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-28 02:49:47

At 8/25/22 11:34 AM, SolarReptile wrote: I'm a fairly young aspiring voice actor (Black, AFAB nonbinary, somewhat of an alto? or contralto, i don't remember). I don't feel like investing in any projects yet, but I'd like to start.

Hey there, and welcome to the party! To get start, you basically have two options:

1 - Write your own material (or get a friend to write it for you) and record and produce that. Pro is that there's no deadline and nothing preventing you from publishing it when you're done, con is that it requires some more skills than just the ones you can expect to need as a VA

B - Audition, audition, audition. The chances of someone handing you a role are very slim, so look for any casting calls you can find that have roles you feel comfortable with, and start auditioning. And maybe you're in luck, but it's likely that it'll take quite a bunch of attempts before you land a role. Try and get feedback on your auditions to see how you can improve your skills!

Any further questions, hit these there forums. Good luck!

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-28 10:58:45

At 8/28/22 02:49 AM, LuckyDee wrote:
At 8/25/22 11:34 AM, SolarReptile wrote: I'm a fairly young aspiring voice actor (Black, AFAB nonbinary, somewhat of an alto? or contralto, i don't remember). I don't feel like investing in any projects yet, but I'd like to start.
Hey there, and welcome to the party! To get start, you basically have two options:

1 - Write your own material (or get a friend to write it for you) and record and produce that. Pro is that there's no deadline and nothing preventing you from publishing it when you're done, con is that it requires some more skills than just the ones you can expect to need as a VA

B - Audition, audition, audition. The chances of someone handing you a role are very slim, so look for any casting calls you can find that have roles you feel comfortable with, and start auditioning. And maybe you're in luck, but it's likely that it'll take quite a bunch of attempts before you land a role. Try and get feedback on your auditions to see how you can improve your skills!

Any further questions, hit these there forums. Good luck!

Thanks for the help!

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-28 20:46:32

I'm in the same spot as you, I guess? I'm trying to do this for fun, but I'm serious about audio quality and production, maybe you and I can team up and help each other out with feedback and production? I don't have any projects to work on yet, but I'll gladly chat with you. Message me if you're interested.

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-29 03:12:59

Should OP submit test stuff to the audio portal for feedback? Definitely asking only for OPs sake.

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-29 05:08:05

At 8/29/22 03:12 AM, Joltopus wrote: Should OP submit test stuff to the audio portal for feedback? Definitely asking only for OPs sake.

Well, you'll need to be scouted in order to be on the portal, but uploading VA pieces to get feedback is definitely a good move if you ask me.

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-29 08:07:40

At 8/29/22 03:12 AM, Joltopus wrote: Should OP submit test stuff to the audio portal for feedback? Definitely asking only for OPs sake.

Sounds like a good idea.

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-29 10:30:10

I'm completely lost: "(Black, AFAB nonbinary, somewhat of an alto? or contralto, i don't remember)"

doodoo man

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-29 13:40:09

At 8/29/22 10:30 AM, unibrowboy wrote:
I'm completely lost: "(Black, AFAB nonbinary, somewhat of an alto? or contralto, i don't remember)"

Thank you for asking! It's just my race, gender, and vocal range (respectively) in case someone needed the information.

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-29 14:15:46

At 8/29/22 01:40 PM, SolarReptile wrote:
Thank you for asking! It's just my race, gender, and vocal range (respectively) in case someone needed the information.

Who needed it? Why would they need it...im so confused

doodoo man

Response to How do I start voice acting? 2022-08-29 14:53:27

At 8/29/22 02:15 PM, unibrowboy wrote:
At 8/29/22 01:40 PM, SolarReptile wrote:
Who needed it? Why would they need it...im so confused

It's so if anyone needs a VA with those specific attributes for a certain role, they know who to choose. But honestly I just put it there for a bit of background info.

It’s like picking ingredients to make chilli. It’s still gonna be chilli but, like, a little different