00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JYGame just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voice criticism please.

758 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Voice criticism please. 2022-07-03 04:26:52

I want to take voice acting a wee bit more seriously so I want criticism with my voice acting. I'm voicing one of my OCS Maia, she's a little alien girl that looks 7 years of age but she's actually 14, there's nothing sexual because that's just plain disgusting. 🤢

I love art and drawings!!!!!!!!

Response to Voice criticism please. 2022-07-03 18:09:59

Criticise me!

I love art and drawings!!!!!!!!

Response to Voice criticism please. 2022-07-08 01:27:07

At 7/3/22 06:09 PM, Mimiis07 wrote: Criticise me!
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1142422

Hey there, good move reaching out to get some response on your work - I think getting feedback on what I'm doing is always very helpful, so I'll gladly be of service to you.

In terms of acting, I think you're on the right track. Ok, the character description you gave is pretty minimal, and there isn't a lot of audio to judge, but from what I'm reading and hearing the voice and the concept go together very well.

In terms of production, I do hear a lot of room for improvement. Your voice sounds very sharp/harsh, and I hear a lot of room sound in your recording (the reflection of your voice from the walls of the room you recorded in) - what type of mic do you use, and have you considered the acoustics of your room? There's also quite some other sounds in the first recording which, in a production situation, you definitely don't want recorded into the same audio as the voice. Keeping them separated will give you more options when mixing and editing.

And then there's processing of the voice audio itself, mainly using an equalizer and some form of compression, specifically de-essing in this case. Are these things you are familiar with?

Feel free to ask further questions, either of me or others around here. Also keep an eye out on the Engineering Tutorial (which I really should update, come to think of it) and the corresponding questions thread. Good luck!

Response to Voice criticism please. 2022-07-08 11:25:05

At 7/3/22 06:09 PM, Mimiis07 wrote: Criticise me!
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1142422

Your voice sounds like a young version of some cartoon characters I used to like as a kid. I'm not a voice actor by any means; however, I do work with audio every day so I feel like I have some ground to speak on. Well, I say that but there's really only one thing that I think you should look into, at this stage. The S in your initial "Whoops" Is really sharp and slightly disruptive. Maybe it's just me and my incredible hate for the sound "sss" but I feel like a good step to take would be reducing the sharp timbre of the S sound. Other than that one thing, it's great.

Keep on improving your voice and never stop!

If you read this, you get a virtual cookie

BBS Signature