00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

harkhan71 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

ngl i get a little depressed seeing someone my age being better at art

1,266 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Just a little nothing too crazy just a little its not like im disappointed in myself heheheiu_588556_8862812.jpg

alright seriously tho i hate this feeling it makes me feel like im running out of time

At 3/27/22 11:37 PM, Agesus wrote: Just a little nothing too crazy just a little its not like im disappointed in myself hehehe
alright seriously tho i hate this feeling it makes me feel like im running out of time

Eh it's fine i think everybody at least once feels like that lol, months ago i learned that a 13 year old sprited like a god and i looked like a childs doodle compared to his art

what

BBS Signature

At 3/27/22 11:37 PM, Agesus wrote: Just a little nothing too crazy just a little its not like im disappointed in myself hehehe

I suffer from that quite a lot, tho more so your second sentence as opposed to what my peers are doing. i’ve pretty much let that “running out of time” feeling ruin my life to this point. I’d like others to avoid that, and not let it just become a self fulfilling prophecy.

i’ll put it this way.

If you are doing well in life, at a point where you aren’t sweating about how to finance your life, getting to do mostly what you like, and are overall pretty happy. Will you honestly care that others did it before you or at a younger age or will you be content with the fact that you have the success in the first place? Probably not.

Don't be harsh with yourself man, I also had those feelings before, but then I remember that i just should focus on my own improvement than seeing what people has been doing even before I started.

with enough practise you will be satisfied with yourself and for the sake of your own progression and a life nobody can control but you.

I make art, check this cat

BBS Signature

exact same boat here. I didn't pick up a pencil with the serious intention to put effort into a drawing until I was 18 (I'm 20 now and have not improved since then in the slightest), and I feel like there's no point when I see all these 14-year-olds on Twitter putting out museum-quality pieces every week

Don't mind me I'm just here because I'm not a productive member of society

I see this kind of thread often here. I feel like they're made by people who think they have no skill in general (or are stuck in a rut), not just in art; otherwise, you would know that there's no point comparing yourself to others (at least in terms of age). Everyone has at least one skill that they're better at than most other people. There's always going to be people who are younger than you who are better at something, because they've been focusing on one skill while you may have been focusing on another when you were their age- in the same way that you might be better at another skill than someone older than you. The only difference is when in life you start practicing, how often, and for how long. So instead of getting depressed about it, learn from them and get to it.

Squid pro quo. Tits for tat.

Check out my sketches and stuff!

BBS Signature

lol i used to feel this all the time. idk how but eventually i got over it

i know this girl at my school and she draws so fucking amazing i swear she could be working at some professional studio or some shit and i still have to "git gud". jeez i'm so jealous of her but remember you get better at your own pace. it's okay that other people are doing better while you still have to improve, so sit back, work on your stuff and have fun. and i'm sure the super talented people like that girl are working very hard at their art and probably have some insecurities as well, even if it doesn't look like it.

- signed, ME

Any Thing Can Be Accomplised With Enough Time And Persistence Draw For Yourself Without Trying And Learn The Art Any Skill Can Be Matched F People Who Say Other Wise

and especially with younger people for me. i fall out of the habit of drawing a lot of the time and i often wonder if i would be as good as the people younger than me now if i hadnt

Just because they haven't been around as long as you, doesn't mean you've been going at art as long as them.

Its all about investing the time into your skill by doing it so that you can really kick ass at it.

I make Voxel art in 16 and 32 bit styles from sprite sheets, because voxels are cool.

BBS Signature

I'm the opposite, I'm pretty happy to see younger people be better and faster than me, it reminds me that the only thing stopping from becoming better is just slacking.

At 4/1/22 01:03 PM, Rerstuf wrote: I'm the opposite, I'm pretty happy to see younger people be better and faster than me, it reminds me that the only thing stopping from becoming better is just slacking.

thats actually a good way of thinking holy fuck

what

BBS Signature

Don't worry eventually they will lose their passion for art and stagnate overtime, leaving your art plenty of opportunity to spike in quality and leave them feeling INFERIOR TO YOU!!!! It's all about mind games!! (I'm the joker in real life!)

I always like to look at the story of Samuel L. Jackson and the struggles he endured throughout most of his life before becoming a household name. It wasn't until his late 30s, early 40s that he started picking up some serious momentum in his acting career.

Either way, /feels

Take your time and do things at your own pace as you see fit. Sometimes we can have off-days, and that's totally okay. If you're feeling the power, seize the moment and create a fuckin banger.

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

im kinda jealous of someone my age aka @daniford but im trying not to :)

Six big dicks

BBS Signature

At 4/2/22 02:44 PM, DaniFord wrote:
At 4/2/22 02:43 PM, Asskick247 wrote: im kinda jealous of someone my age aka @daniford but im trying not to :)
Lol, and sorry I made ya jealous >_<

its okay! jealousy can turn into inspiration, im especially inspired by ya style :)

Six big dicks

BBS Signature

funky. you should be glad you can meet artists around your age who you can talk about art in a meta level. I'm alone as fuck and strangers on the internet aren't reliable feedback.

Proud member of the NO FAP INITIATIVE. Join us! Together we are unbeatable!

BBS Signature

Same I felt Disappointed as well even though I started drawing very young.

Artist please check out my art, and musician please check out my music.

BBS Signature

Wenomechainsama...
tumajarbisaun... ;,(
wifenloofe <3...
eselifterbran... braun...
anweculbetuguetebaby... </3
alonskaysarblu...
iuaquisoinocenaum... >:(
butiioulaysousun... ;,(

I'm just a Brazilian guy... expecting something more?

No, nothing more

BBS Signature

For a while I'd get pretty upset with myself seeing people younger than me succeed. Just the feeling of "why aren't I succeeding? I'm older than them, what are they doing that I'm not?"

It's still something I'm learning but we all gotta eventually realize that life isn't a race. Some people take more time than others, and that's fine, y'know?

And besides you're not running out of time unless you're like in your 70s, them bitches old

the high roller is my favorite they/them lesbian

BBS Signature

The more you let it get to you, the worse your art will be. I've been writing since an early age. There were others my age and even younger who wrote far better than I did. I didn't realize until I was almost thirty the type of writing I should be doing.

Everybody finds out what they want to do, their style, at their own time and pace.

Please try not to compare yourself to others too much. You will stifle your own growth and eat away at yourself if it becomes big enough of an issue. You have talent and should focus on yourself and improving your art's value and depth.

At 9/2/22 07:44 PM, NG-TOOZ wrote:
me too :( i started at 2021 i think
edit: damn it i used my alt account my main account is @consepxcuh

don't resurrect dead threads plz. no one's responded since april. it's september.

thank you

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature

At 9/2/22 08:20 PM, misterbright wrote: don't resurrect dead threads plz. no one's responded since april. it's september.

thank you

you're welcome

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

At 9/2/22 09:20 PM, Oddlem wrote:
At 9/2/22 08:20 PM, misterbright wrote: don't resurrect dead threads plz. no one's responded since april. it's september.

thank you
you're welcome

iu_742125_8014430.gif

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature

Why? Are you guys applying for the same job?

At 9/3/22 11:05 AM, NG-TOOZ wrote:
At 9/2/22 08:20 PM, misterbright wrote:
At 9/2/22 07:44 PM, NG-TOOZ wrote:
me too :( i started at 2021 i think
edit: damn it i used my alt account my main account is @consepxcuh
don't resurrect dead threads plz. no one's responded since april. it's september.

thank you
I don’t care I’m just responding to the user who made this post

Resurrecting dead threads is a major faux pas, and potentially a bannable offense.

Squid pro quo. Tits for tat.

Check out my sketches and stuff!

BBS Signature

Yeah i agree it kinda sucks ass when people are younger or same as you make better art than yourself

I Made Dumb Stuff

I don't suffer from that. I am not a really good artist. I can draw well enough to get the point across and that is it. Where I thrive is conceptual art.

All my grades in art classes were based on was if my teacher got my sense of humor. Some did. Some didn't.

That is why I chose zebra jokes (or they chose me). It allowed my to have a niche where I am better than all the other zebra joke websites because the other ones suck so bad.

Just find something you do better than anyone else and stick to it.